PDA

View Full Version : Regrets - Need another AR! Help!

redefined
11-25-11, 21:23
So I regret selling my Daniel Defense M4 to my buddy, I think it's time to do another one. This time maybe I'll build it? Never done so but I think if I can build a 1911 I can build an AR... eh? I sold it to him because, well, he wanted it and I really didn't use it much. Now I miss it.

This time I really want a SBR, not sure why? They look awesome and I can silence one for ultimate Zombie goodness, maybe?

My thing is I really don't want to spend the kind of money on this one like I did on the DD. I'm thinking $1k max, w/ rail. That doesn't include optic so I'll add that down the road. Obviously I'd love to pick something up used that has everything on it I want, optic and all. Who knows I might hold out for the perfect used one to go up, if not I'm looking into building one.

So what have you guys built? Who's got their favorites? I did a lot of research before buying the DD so I know which brands I'd like to stick with but I've never built one so I just know the big 'complete' players in the AR arena. I'd assume those are the same guys to stick with for individual parts and parts kits.

Show me your AR's! SBR's would be a plus!

As stated above, I didn't use it much but now I miss it. It's either build/buy another AR, or get another handgun and/or a shotgun. Could prob do the pistol and shotgun OR the AR. Ahhh what to do?!?!

Matt

Iraqgunz
11-26-11, 01:14
1. Moved to the correct area. This isn't a Precision Semi-Auto topic.

2. There are plenty of AR pics in the Custom AR area and the main thread.

3. SBR's are not cheap. You will need to pay for the 200.00 tax stamp in addition to the weapon. If you can't afford to do it correctly then stick with a standard length AR. In order for them to run correctly you need to the right quality parts.

So I regret selling my Daniel Defense M4 to my buddy, I think it's time to do another one. This time maybe I'll build it? Never done so but I think if I can build a 1911 I can build an AR... eh? I sold it to him because, well, he wanted it and I really didn't use it much. Now I miss it.

This time I really want a SBR, not sure why? They look awesome and I can silence one for ultimate Zombie goodness, maybe?

My thing is I really don't want to spend the kind of money on this one like I did on the DD. I'm thinking $1k max, w/ rail. That doesn't include optic so I'll add that down the road. Obviously I'd love to pick something up used that has everything on it I want, optic and all. Who knows I might hold out for the perfect used one to go up, if not I'm looking into building one.

So what have you guys built? Who's got their favorites? I did a lot of research before buying the DD so I know which brands I'd like to stick with but I've never built one so I just know the big 'complete' players in the AR arena. I'd assume those are the same guys to stick with for individual parts and parts kits.

Show me your AR's! SBR's would be a plus!

As stated above, I didn't use it much but now I miss it. It's either build/buy another AR, or get another handgun and/or a shotgun. Could prob do the pistol and shotgun OR the AR. Ahhh what to do?!?!

Matt

redefined
11-26-11, 08:46
sorry for the wrong place, thanks for moving it.

I'm not including the $200 fee in that price. I know to do things properly. I doubt everyone pays $2k for their SBRs.

mkmckinley
11-26-11, 09:04
Nobody can make up your mind for you. Search for SBR AR-15s and you'll get a pretty good idea of what people are doing. If you want to stick to a military style SBR the Mk-18 is the standard. DD makes a clone if you're interested. I've used a Mk-18 quite a bit and it's pretty loud without a suppressor. It's really designed to be run suppressed full time. It runs like a champ even unsuppressed though. Bravo Company, BCM and Noveske all make nice SBR uppers that will have proper gas port dimensions. I you're planning on getting a suppressor that's another consideration as you might want to have it optimized for that.

You could always just press the easy button and call C4Igrant at GandRtactical.com and see what he recommends. I'm pretty sure he runs a suppressed SBR full time and will know what works and what doesn't.

Ironman8
11-26-11, 09:04
PM sent

Eurodriver
11-26-11, 09:27
I just bought a 12.5" setup yesterday.

I already have a lower, but lets assume it was $350. (Because it was)
My upper was the BCM SS 12.5" with DD Omega X 7" Rail $779
BCG + Gunfighter CH = $190
MIAD Grip = $25
CTR Stock = $95

That doesn't include a sling, light, tax stamp, or optic and its already close to the $1,500 mark.

redefined
11-26-11, 10:01
I just bought a 12.5" setup yesterday.

I already have a lower, but lets assume it was $350. (Because it was)
My upper was the BCM SS 12.5" with DD Omega X 7" Rail $779
BCG + Gunfighter CH = $190
MIAD Grip = $25
CTR Stock = $95

That doesn't include a sling, light, tax stamp, or optic and its already close to the $1,500 mark.

Not to bad though. I don't expect it to be 100% how I'd want it. I'll add the optic in a few months.

What do you think of the palmeto lowers for $50? Seems a lot off people love them. But something that cheap scares me

ssgjason
11-26-11, 11:28
I just put together my second SBR lower.
Used RO933 kit-$650
Blem Noveske Lower-$125
Moe Handguards-$40
Sold M73 handguards that came with kit-$-75
$740 +200 stamp on Form 1

Add $60 to replace springs and it came in totally under $1000
I forgot the $52 for engraving.

Eurodriver
11-26-11, 13:56
Not to bad though. I don't expect it to be 100% how I'd want it. I'll add the optic in a few months.

What do you think of the palmeto lowers for $50? Seems a lot off people love them. But something that cheap scares me

Well when you add the shipping and the FFL fee and the lower parts kit and the receiver extension and spring and buffer you might as well just order a BCM blemished lower from gandrtactical.com for $284 shipped.

redefined
11-26-11, 14:25
Well when you add the shipping and the FFL fee and the lower parts kit and the receiver extension and spring and buffer you might as well just order a BCM blemished lower from gandrtactical.com for $284 shipped.

Their site is confusing. But fwiw I have a local place that does free transfers, so thats good!

The blemished ones in general are just cosmetics right? The logo or something might be smudged, scratches or something, right? I don't do safe queens so I don't mind.

BCmJUnKie
11-26-11, 14:28
. I doubt everyone pays $2k for their SBRs.

:eek:

Youre right.

ALOT of people SBR crap rifles and it doesnt run the tag up to 2k.

You think you regret selling your DD?

Just wait till youre married to a garbage reciever for the rest of your life.

If you want actual quality parts, well lets just say I spent about double what I put into my M4.

Then again, youre talking about building an SBR cause
"It looks cool" and to "shoot Zombies" so I doubt you will listen to advice here.

What IraqGunz said about the Tax Stamp, you NEED to include that into the price, here are a few more things to count on including...
$200.00 money oreder (covered)
Passport photos
Engraving for the lower (not including insurance and return shipping)

SBRing a rifle is serious business.

If you never used the M4 you sold, how are we gonna take you serious about building an SBR???

Eurodriver
11-26-11, 14:33
Their site is confusing. But fwiw I have a local place that does free transfers, so thats good!

The blemished ones in general are just cosmetics right? The logo or something might be smudged, scratches or something, right? I don't do safe queens so I don't mind.

Yes, most people don't even find the blemish.

Without FFL fees, you will pay ~$280 for a complete BCM lower (minus a stock) from Grant at G and R. I just bought one yesterday. ;)

Failure2Stop
11-26-11, 14:41
1- Building a decent AR from individual parts requires specialized tools.
2- Building a decent AR from individual parts isn't as easy as a lot of people seem to think it is.
3- Building a decent SBR AR that actually runs, from individual parts is even harder.
4- Building a decent SBR AR that actually runs both suppressed and unsuppressed is even harder than that.

redefined
11-26-11, 15:27
:eek:
Then again, youre talking about building an SBR cause
"It looks cool" and to "shoot Zombies" so I doubt you will listen to advice here.

What IraqGunz said about the Tax Stamp, you NEED to include that into the price, here are a few more things to count on including...
$200.00 money oreder (covered)
Passport photos
Engraving for the lower (not including insurance and return shipping)

SBRing a rifle is serious business.

If you never used the M4 you sold, how are we gonna take you serious about building an SBR???

It was a joke, relax. If I didn't want input I wouldn't have posted, I wouldn't be reading on the forums. But attitudes like yours make me not want to read what you say.

I posted so I could get some info and research on the topic at hand. Some things people post I know, some I don't. Such as getting it engraved, you must get something engraved on an NFA gun?

I will not be doing all of the build myself, the tough stuff and tools a friend has. So I'll have him help. I've built a 1911 and am in the process of building another, not saying one is harder than another but I think I'm capable of doing the actual build.

That being said I'm not set on BUILDING one, buying a complete upper/lower, or building it at all. I have no problem buying a complete weapon. I liked my DD and I see that they have an SBR too, bad idea? Most of the SBR that I see are built and not complete.

Again I posted this to get info. I might end up with another 14.5 if that will suit me better.

2- Building a decent AR from individual parts isn't as easy as a lot of people seem to think it is.
3- Building a decent SBR AR that actually runs, from individual parts is even harder.
4- Building a decent SBR AR that actually runs both suppressed and unsuppressed is even harder than that.

I understand, but why is this? Because of the gas length? Problem solved if buying a complete upper instead of just the barrel?

Thanks for the info.

sadmin
11-26-11, 15:47
No more questions... Go read, please. Happy Holidays!

Ironman8
11-26-11, 15:49

I would say that this is 100% true...IF you don't buy quality parts and don't know how to put them together. Just do your research and build a QUALITY rifle and you should be fine!

Iraqgunz
11-26-11, 16:38
I will build it for you.

1. Get this upper- http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12%20kd.htm

2. Buy this BCG and charging handle- http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556.htm

3. Get this rail system (requires minimal work to install)- http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=C410rails.tpl&product_id=70&category_id=38&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=47

4. Use whatever lower you are comfortable with and then add in this lower receiver extension- http://www.vltorstore.com/products/A5%3A-The-M16%252dA5-Stock-Kit.html

This will be a relaible set up with quality parts. You will have plenty of rail length if needed and you should be able to install it without much more than a Dremel tool.

redefined
11-26-11, 18:55
Thanks Iraqguns I'll look into all of the links posted.

Failure2Stop
11-26-11, 19:25

Definately a better choice than trying to build it yourself.

Iraqgunz
11-26-11, 19:49
Don't think too long. If you act now then you will get 10% off.

johnson
11-26-11, 20:23
I will build it for you.

3. Get this rail system (requires minimal work to install)- http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=C410rails.tpl&product_id=70&category_id=38&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=47

This will be a relaible set up with quality parts. You will have plenty of rail length if needed and you should be able to install it without much more than a Dremel tool.

Do as IG says and buy the BCM upper tonight to save $50!

Get a 9.0, not 10.0.

But I like this one better if using a fixed FSB. Gives you a little bit more room for mounting a light.
http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=179

My 12.5" with an FSB cutout hand guard.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/johnson_n/IMG_1815-1.jpg

Eurodriver
11-26-11, 20:26
Speaking of regret, I'm regretting my newest 12.5" has a DD rail instead of Centurion.

Oh well, there's always some fanboy willing to pick a DD up...

Iraqgunz
11-26-11, 20:32
Are the cutout rails in stock? I was simply going by the item being ready to go. Although with this build, that isn't a major issue.

Do as IG says and buy the BCM upper tonight to save $50!

Get a 9.0, not 10.0.

But I like this one better if using a fixed FSB. Gives you a little bit more room for mounting a light.
http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=179

My 12.5" with an FSB cutout hand guard.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/johnson_n/IMG_1815-1.jpg

johnson
11-26-11, 20:42
Yep.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/products/centurion-arms-c4-rail-9-with-fsb-cut-out

TehLlama
11-26-11, 20:58
So I regret selling my Daniel Defense M4 to my buddy, I think it's time to do another one...
This time I really want a SBR, not sure why?

This can be an outright win - your buddy has a decent rifle, and with some more funds you can have a really impressive SBR.

The Kino with the Centurion Cutout rails was going to be my second recommendation, after a Centurion barreled 12.5" on a VTAC Extreme 11" (on pure cost and weight, the latter wins, the former is more flexible and includes a front sight post). Or a pure Centurion build - their rail or a DD. Hard to come up with a config that isn't awesome.

Either way, you can be absolutely in business with that, an SBR'd BCM Blemish lower (or buy a stripped and assemble it), DD fixed rear sight and the aimpoint/mount of your choosing (PRO or H-1 on LT660).