PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Gunsite Scout optic question?????

Dos Cylindros
11-25-11, 21:36
I have a new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle inbound!! I am very excited as I have always liked the scout concept, and have longed for a Styer Scout for quite some time. The Styer being out of my current price range, I opted for the Gunsite Scout, which I actually like much better after comparing the two.

My main question is about optic mountin height. I plan to go with either the Hi Lux/Leatherwood 2 to 7 power variable scout scope, the Burris scout scope, or the Leupold 2.5 scout scope. I plan to use the Leupold QD rings and I am unsure about the correct height to use. SWFA lists low and medium height and I am unsure as to which to go with. I would prefer the low mount, but am unsure if I will run into clearance issues. Anyone that could help out, I would value the imput. Those with actual experience with the rifle and optic combo I listed are who I am interested in hearing from you.

Jake'sDad
11-27-11, 10:55
Are you married to the idea of the forward mounted optic?

Robb Jensen
11-27-11, 11:33
I have a Nightforce 1-4x NXS conventionally mounted in stainless Ruger rings on mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/RugerScout.jpg

Dos Cylindros
11-28-11, 09:33
Are you married to the idea of the forward mounted optic?

No I am not. The main reason I wanted the forward mounted optic is to maintain two separate sighting systems just like my patrol carbine. I wanted this to be a true "general purpose" rifle with the ability to pull off the optic should I ever have a problem with it and just run iron sights. I realize a trijicon TR24 would probably also fufill this role quite well, but I loose the backup iron sights by using it in the standard mounting location. I am aware the XS rail fixes this problem, but that adds another $100 to the overall price of throwing an optic on the gun.

I am just wondering if anyone is using the optics I had listed above with low or medium height rings.

Dos Cylindros
11-28-11, 09:34
I have a Nightforce 1-4x NXS conventionally mounted in stainless Ruger rings on mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/RugerScout.jpg

Robb,

Love that setup, and I would be all over it in a second if the Nightforce were not just a hair (read way too much) outside my current budget for the rifle. I may just end up running irons only until I can afford to throw on of those NF 1-4 NSX on my gun.

Jake'sDad
11-28-11, 11:46
No I am not. The main reason I wanted the forward mounted optic is to maintain two separate sighting systems just like my patrol carbine. I wanted this to be a true "general purpose" rifle with the ability to pull off the optic should I ever have a problem with it and just run iron sights. I realize a trijicon TR24 would probably also fufill this role quite well, but I loose the backup iron sights by using it in the standard mounting location. I am aware the XS rail fixes this problem, but that adds another $100 to the overall price of throwing an optic on the gun.

I think that hundred bucks would save you a lot more in aggravation, and money, since you're a shooter, and I think you'd end up there eventually.

A lot of us that used Scout scopes 20+ years ago have gravitated to 1X-4X, 1X-6X, etc. variables instead. That's why XS introduced a rail specifically to facilitate conventional optic mounting, while retaining iron sights, there's an immediate demand for them.

I was quite the Cooper disciple, and had several Scouts built after getting his personal input. When Brent Clifton came out with his stock, I had him put one of his first guns together for me. I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. But after getting a TR24, and other 1X-_ variables, I'd never go back to the forward mount. I can snap shoot about as fast with a variable on 1X, (I never could shoot clays with mine like some could), and with a flick of the dial, make a precision shot, (if you can call my mediocre shooting "precision"). You'll also have a much easier transition going between your patrol carbine and your GSR.

I'm keeping one of my Leupold 2.5's, just for nostalgia, but honestly, I doubt I'll ever take it hunting again. I definitely wouldn't take it if I was expecting a fight.

Just my 1 1/2 cents.

Dos Cylindros
11-28-11, 14:51
I think that hundred bucks would save you a lot more in aggravation, and money, since you're a shooter, and I think you'd end up there eventually.

A lot of us that used Scout scopes 20+ years ago have gravitated to 1X-4X, 1X-6X, etc. variables instead. That's why XS introduced a rail specifically to facilitate conventional optic mounting, while retaining iron sights, there's an immediate demand for them.

I was quite the Cooper disciple, and had several Scouts built after getting his personal input. When Brent Clifton came out with his stock, I had him put one of his first guns together for me. I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. But after getting a TR24, and other 1X-_ variables, I'd never go back to the forward mount. I can snap shoot about as fast with a variable on 1X, (I never could shoot clays with mine like some could), and with a flick of the dial, make a precision shot, (if you can call my mediocre shooting "precision"). You'll also have a much easier transition going between your patrol carbine and your GSR.

I'm keeping one of my Leupold 2.5's, just for nostalgia, but honestly, I doubt I'll ever take it hunting again. I definitely wouldn't take it if I was expecting a fight.

Just my 1 1/2 cents.

JD,

Thanks bro, that is good solid imput. I do love the TR24 (was thinking along the lines of the green dot and german reticle). I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet so to speak and pony up for the XS rail and the TR24. But for that coin, I could just drop a NF 1-4 on the standard mounting points....but I keep coming back to the desire to have irons as a backup. Crap, decisions, decisions.

Jake'sDad
11-28-11, 18:01
JD,

Thanks bro, that is good solid imput. I do love the TR24 (was thinking along the lines of the green dot and german reticle). I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet so to speak and pony up for the XS rail and the TR24. But for that coin, I could just drop a NF 1-4 on the standard mounting points....but I keep coming back to the desire to have irons as a backup. Crap, decisions, decisions.

Go for the XS rail.

As far as another optics choice to save a little money, have you looked at the Leupold Firedots? For a relatively inexpensive scope, they seem to be getting pretty good reviews. I'm thinking about picking up a couple of the 2-7's.

Good review here.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=89263

He said something about Leupold doing a 1-6 version of it. That would be perfect for the GSR imho.

Mark/MO
11-28-11, 19:12

Just my 1 1/2 cents.

Good info. I for one have been intrigued by the scout rifle concept for some time. Once Ruger announced their left hand model I decided I really wanted one. Prior to Ruger’s scout rifle I’d been toying with the idea of rigging up a used Marlin 336 with a scout scope. I figured that would be a cheap way to try it out for myself. After reading JakesDad’s thoughts I may rethink some of my previous plans but still want the left hand Ruger. Perhaps I’ll just look towards a XS Rail (since I do want the backup irons) and a 1x-4 scope.

Serlo II
12-04-11, 11:19
I tried this so that I could retain iron sights:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/jdefrancisci/Rifles/IMG_5683.jpg

But the cheek weld was horrible.
I purchased the XS rail and some badger rings. the XS rail has a small peep sight for emergencies. I doubt I'll ever need it but it's nice to have.
This setup works really well. It is fast and the Trijicon Accupoint is affordable at around $600. I was able to easily hit a 2" square at 100 meters from a variety of positions.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/jdefrancisci/Rifles/IMG_6045.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/jdefrancisci/Rifles/IMG_6049.jpg

Jake'sDad
12-04-11, 13:41
I purchased the XS rail and some badger rings. the XS rail has a small peep sight for emergencies. I doubt I'll ever need it but it's nice to have.
This setup works really well. It is fast and the Trijicon Accupoint is affordable at around $600. I was able to easily hit a 2" square at 100 meters from a variety of positions.

Running mine the same way now, but still looking at other optic options.

Funny but the rear sight seems to be one of the biggest attractions to the GSR, or Scout rifles in general. Just like with our AR's, a lot of us want that backup aperture sight on our hunting/truck rifles, even if we'll likely never need them. Such a simple thing. Someone (XS, EGW?) should make receiver rails for the other popular bolt rifles that incorporate a similar sight as the XS GSR rail. Obviously, there's plenty of room for the sight and two rings without going forward of the receiver.