PDA

View Full Version : FSB question

yugotprblms
11-26-11, 10:38
Here's the deal. I like the idea of having an FSB on my AR, which I am going to set up with a mid-length 16 inch barrel, but I do not like how short that would make my rail/forearm situation. I like having my offhand fairly far up on the rifle, and 9 inches just isn't enough (that's what she said). I was looking around and found ADCO's custom cruiser barrel, and was curious about doing the same thing, albeit with a 11 inch rail from Rainier and maybe just a nice clamp on FSB, but only using it as a front sight tower.

The barrel I am planning on going with is BCM's 16 in, light weight, .625. I plan on getting the low pro block pinned by ADCO themselves, which would of course then just be under the rail. Would this be a feasible set up? I figure if the FSB is just being used as a sight tower, then a clamp on should be fine, since accidentally jarring it slightly out of place would not hinder the operation of the weapon itself.

I did search the forums, but didn't find much info on it. Dissipator type set ups don't seem to be that popular, but it seems like if they are done correctly, they can be a nifty rig. Thanks for reading.

markm
11-26-11, 10:42
Search BCM dissipator here. And you don't want a clamp on anything on your barrel. Too weak.

yugotprblms
11-26-11, 10:59
Oh hey, there you go. Haha, thanks mark.

It seems like maybe the way to go is just get a fixed front sight and attach it straight to the rail itself.

Bimmer
11-26-11, 13:23
Here's the deal. I like the idea of having an FSB on my AR, which I am going to set up with a mid-length 16 inch barrel, but I do not like how short that would make my rail/forearm situation

I was looking around and found ADCO's custom cruiser barrel, and was curious about doing the same thing, albeit with a 11 inch rail from Rainier and maybe just a nice clamp on FSB...

The barrel I am planning on going with is BCM's 16 in, light weight, .625...

I'm thinking about doing the same thing...

Why couldn't you just get a lightweight 16" long, .625" diameter mid-length upper, grind the FSB down to make a "low profile" gas block, and then have ADCO or whoever pin another .625 FSB at the rifle-length position?

yugotprblms
11-26-11, 13:30
I'm thinking about doing the same thing...

Why couldn't you just get a lightweight 16" long, .625" diameter mid-length upper, grind the FSB down to make a "low profile" gas block, and then have ADCO or whoever pin another .625 FSB at the rifle-length position?

I totally could, I just want to build it all myself, hence my desire to not buy an upper. I want to buy all the parts, and then put it all together myself, or as much as possible. And the barrel I want does not have holes drilled for the FSB, so I would have to pay ADCO to drill two sets of holes, buy two FSBs, and grind one down. They charge 90$ to pin an FSB in place, so that would be 180$ for two, and then about 30$ for each FSB, bringing it up to around 240$. If I did a low pro block, the cost would be cheaper by maybe 30 - 40$, depending on the block.

My math is based off of their site though, maybe if I called them up I would get a more accurate answer.

Bimmer
11-26-11, 13:35
They charge 90$ to pin an FSB in place... then about 30$ for each FSB.

Having a dissipator doesn't seem worth $120 more than having regular a mid-length... And I just saw that ADCO wants $425 for their "Custom Cruiser" barrel, and that's just the friggin' barrel!

Palmetto sells dissipator uppers, and they're only $50-60 more than regular mid-lengths. I'm not endorsing PSA (I've seen those threads). I'm just saying that they're out there.

yugotprblms
11-26-11, 13:38
Yea, I am aware. And it seems like a nice idea. I like having an FSB, but a mid length system only gives me about 9 inches of forearm space to grip on. I like my hand to be farther up.

Ha, yeah, I saw it too. Pretty nuts. Not even lightweight or anything.

yugotprblms
11-26-11, 14:29
There is also the option of the DD AR15 Lite 12.0 FSPM. Doesn't bring the FSB past the gas port at all, but it does give it that extra hand space.

11-26-11, 19:43
DD AR15 Lite Rail 12.0 FSP is an excellent product.

yugotprblms
11-26-11, 22:10
I assume the same goes for the FSPM, I just wish I could find more rifles with them installed so I can get a better feel for it.