PDA

View Full Version : Any LEO wearing "war belts" on duty?

adrenaline151
11-26-11, 16:17
Is anyone wearing something like the ATS or VTAC Brokos while on patrol duty? Are they too much? They look like they would be more comfortable, if they spread out the weight, and easier on and off if you don't have to use keepers. If anyone has any LE patrol experience using a "war belt" setup, I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad. Thanks!

Zog
11-26-11, 18:32
I tried wearing a Brokos but with my Armor it was a dead end. YMMV. I'd like to see a War Belt that was 1/2" narrower at the widest points. For me that would make a diffrence.

Shane1
11-26-11, 19:32
I've tried and went back to a standard belt. I'm so used to my belt being locked into the underbelt sa far as position/security etc. The battle belt shifted too much and rode up. With external armor on, its not so much a issue. I have a BFG SOC-C . I still use it for tactical/tracking ops. Just not in uniform.

NCPatrolAR
11-26-11, 23:15
I use one for woodland observation tasks but that's it

SWATcop556
11-27-11, 01:08
When I was working uniformed patrol, no. The uniform nazis wouldn't let that happen and I'm just accustomed to a standard duty rig.

I use one for warrant service, buy/busts, team callouts, and it's always in the seat during surveillance along with the PC and med bag.

CoryCop25
11-27-11, 01:43
I just ordered this:
http://www.skdtac.com/Emdom-MM-CM-Belt-p/e2m.105.htm

I don't know that a padded belt is best for regular patrol but using the same location and pouches on duty as you do for training is very important in my book.

Shoot 1st
12-03-11, 20:45
I wear a rig, or vest when I need more, or a battle belt when I dont want to wear a vest etc.

But no I do not wear a battle belt etc. on duty.

CGSteve
12-05-11, 19:50
I'm in a federal uniformed LE agency so although it's awesome that we get our stuff from an allowance, we aren't allowed to wear unauthorized stuff. All our leather and nylon gear is either from Bianchi or BLACKHAWK!

Our only holster options for full uniform wear are a Safariland 6280 and a BLACKHAWK Serpa. Unfortunately, most agents wear the Serpa. The website that we have to purchase our gear from offers off duty and plain clothes duty leather holsters but I have no idea who makes them. They aren't the greatest either.

We're considered the last "cowboy" station in our agency so uniformity is a bit laxer at my station than at some other places and agents routinely wear non issue boots, undershirts and various gear holsters but a full on "war belt" would be a bit of a stretch. I'll admit that when I was in the field, I'd bring my Esstac chest rig with me and I've donned it on more than one occasion.

PD Sgt.
12-05-11, 23:28
While I have a VTAC Brokos, and I am very happy with it, I do not think it would be a very good option for a uniformed patrol duty. Without the keepers or other means of securing the belt in place, it would not be hard for someone attempting a gun grab to get the belt spun around on an officer, preventing their ability to defend the weapon.

I could also see the belt riding up with repeated entries/exits from a cruiser.

I think it would be a good choice for surveillance or another type duty where the chance of a physical struggle is minimal. I think a better choice for patrol is a good quality nylon or lightweight gear that can be secured in place to minimize any movement of the gear.

Dos Cylindros
12-06-11, 09:49
I just rotated back to patrol after many years working full time plain clothes narcotics. Recently I have been giving alot of thought to a more comfortable duty belt setup. I am much thinner than I was wen I first left patrol, and I find my duty belt really bruising my hips at the end of a long day. That being said, I don't think the war belt is the answer.

sff70
12-06-11, 12:34
I strongly believe that since we wear more gear now then ever, guys are wearing their belts too tightly to keep them from contantly slipping down due to all the weight, and this is one (preventable) source of health problems in cops. There have been a few studies on this that support this. Now that I'm over the hill, I'm feeling the effects of job more and more.

Have tried several duty rigs over the years About 2 months ago I started using a HSGI "suregrip" belt with HSGI suspenders. So far I like it a lot.

Our admin is very open to what we use, so no problems from them about it. Most of our patrol guys wear suspenders and nylon gear, and our patrol uniform is utilities, so my setup looks similar to what's already widely in use.

If your agency forbids such things, consider the TD Labs belt mods and also the various hidden suspenders on the market.

Spreading the pressure/weight of the belt out over more surface area is very beneficial, IMO.

Silvanus
12-07-11, 11:59
Dos Cylindros,

This might be the thing you´re looking for:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=3250263&A=SearchResult&SearchID=1034841&ObjectID=3250263&ObjectType=27

Makes a huge difference as far as comfort and portability goes.

Shane1
12-07-11, 12:01
Slightly OT but if your department authorizes them, duty suspenders are well worth the $$. We authorize Orca's duty suspenders as the only one right now. I have worn mine for about 10 years now and love them. When I started having some lower back discomfort, I went to these and never looked back. About half of our agency wears them now..the other half is too cheap to buy them. :)

sgtjosh
12-07-11, 15:41
Dos Cylindros,

This might be the thing you´re looking for:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=3250263&A=SearchResult&SearchID=1034841&ObjectID=3250263&ObjectType=27

Makes a huge difference as far as comfort and portability goes.
The problem with belt pads like the TT is that you lose the ability to secure the duty belt to the inner belt. That is a serious retention issue. In a military context, the issue is not as great. In a LE context, we deal with people (compliant and not-so-compliant) at close range on a daily basis. Knowing where your pistol (or non-lethal's) are is too important to ditch keepers.

Silvanus
12-08-11, 07:48
Didn´t really consider that, learn something new everyday I guess :)

I´m in LE too, but we use a drop-leg holsters for our pistols and ammo+handcuffs on the left, which both keep the belt in place.

Coastiejohn
12-08-11, 13:14
The problem with belt pads like the TT is that you lose the ability to secure the duty belt to the inner belt. That is a serious retention issue. In a military context, the issue is not as great. In a LE context, we deal with people (compliant and not-so-compliant) at close range on a daily basis. Knowing where your pistol (or non-lethal's) are is too important to ditch keepers.

I second that. When we do LE training and I am acting as the aggressor in defensive tactics, if i notice a student with no keepers the first thing i do when attacking/going hands on is to grab their belt and spin it so their weapon is at the center of their back. That tends to be a good lesson for everyone as to the importance of keepers on a duty belt.