PDA

View Full Version : Trade my 700 for an SPR?

cgbills
11-26-11, 19:06
Ok I have been lusting after a SPR rifle. I currently have a R700 in 308. The 700 is a great rifle but I really do not have a place to shoot past 500 yards. I have been thinking of selling the 700 and building an SPR. Here is my rational, other than the fact I want one. 1. Since I can't shoot much past 500, a 5.56 would be plenty. 2. I can focus my reloading on 77 grain 5.56 and shoot that through my other ARs and would be cheaper in the long run. 3. I don't have to get multiple suppressors for my rifles, just swap between ARs. 4. Have to only focus on getting one type of replacement parts. So what do you all think? Should I sell the 700 for an SPR?

broylz
11-26-11, 19:39
Tough call. I have a r700 in 308 and a m4gery. I too have thought about trading like you but I would be more likely to sbr my current carbine and get a spr upper for it.

COVERBUSTER
11-26-11, 20:16
Keep the 700. 7.62 might come in handy. Build the SPR over time as $$ becomes available , slow and steady gets the job done. I tried the SPR/ no 7.62 route a few years back after reading up on NRA Highpower and seeing what the 5.56 was doing, like you thinking logistics, didnt pan out. I still needed recoil therapy from the 7.62.

You can use Varget for both :dance3:

LoboTBL
11-26-11, 21:15
My thoughts on every quality firearm I have ever sold or traded off...:shout: & :suicide2:...Why, oh why did I do that?

Keep the 700 and build your SPR as $$$$'s allow...years from now you will be glad you did.

I've never suffered from buyer's remorse over a weapon but I have certainly had seller's remorse...Jus sayin

Cameron
11-26-11, 21:34
For all the reasons you stated, it certainly makes sense to replace the bolt action with a good quality SPR. I think there is a really nice Bavo Company SPR in the equipment exchange you should look at.

Like most people said, what is the opportunity cost of keeping the bolt gun and waiting the few months necessary to come up with it's value in cash.

I recently sold an FN .308 bolt action as I want to get an LMT MWS in .308 and I just never shot the FN. I do not regret selling that rifle as I never really shot it.

Cameron

elnino31
11-29-11, 22:03
Not sure what you have into the 700. If it's a stock rifle and you're getting the better end of the deal... then by all means sell or trade away. You always be able to pick up another 700 down the road if you wanna get back into a 308.

This thread is ironic... b/c I was trying to sell off a well equiped 700 to pick up the SPR that cameron was selling. I have an FN A2 that gets all of my b/a attention.

cgbills
11-29-11, 22:10
It is for the most part stock. The big thing is the barrel is chopped to 20in and threaded. Also the trigger is tuned, weight added to the stock and a karsten adjustable cheek rest.

zombie killer
11-29-11, 22:43
Reason #4 was a major contributor for my latest upper. You will only need one type of magazine/ammo. It's fairly easy to find in any store/cheaper. Parts are interchangeable for the most part. I say go for the SPR.

roymorrison
12-05-11, 15:31
I'm trying to sell my 20 inch .308 bolt gun right now because my 5.56 SPR basically makes it useless. If I get another .308, it'll probably be a 16 inch barrel gas gun. I just don't have a reason to own a 20 inch barrel .308 bolt gun anymore with the out of the box accuracy and precision that gas guns are capable of these days.

If I ever own another bolt gun it will probably be a .338 gun.

Submariner
12-09-11, 15:47
I'm trying to sell my 20 inch .308 bolt gun right now because my 5.56 SPR basically makes it useless. If I get another .308, it'll probably be a 16 inch barrel gas gun. I just don't have a reason to own a 20 inch barrel .308 bolt gun anymore with the out of the box accuracy and precision that gas guns are capable of these days.

This reality is reflected in the prices of used M700s. Supply is greater than demand. This said, I still may sell mine to finance a LaRue .7.62mm gas gun.

Anvil308
01-14-12, 08:31
I just traded a Remmy 700 in .308 for a Larue Stealth upper a couple weeks ago. Only reason I did the trade is that I have another one in the safe as well as a issued 700.
After shooting the Larue, I'm not sorry about the trade at all! But like I said, wouldn't have traded if I didn't have other. 308's in the safe. I'll never be without a .308 bolt gun.

Shooterman017
01-14-12, 19:34
I traded my .308 SPS Tac for a suitable pile of AR, which I have posted up in a thread in here. Mind you, it's not MILSPEC clone SPR or anything, but it performs. I say trade and go for it. I haven't looked back after taking mine shooting and it printed groups like it did.

seb5
01-15-12, 14:59
I wrestled with the same thing for several months before finally selling the 700 for $3500.00 (actually a loss) as a complete package and going with a Noveske Recon for work. My thoughts were that for my purposes a 5.56 precision semi auto was more than adequate for my job as a law enforcement precision rifleman(sniper). I did this about 18 months back and haven't had any reason to question my decision.

steve--oh
01-16-12, 01:23
I thought you were talking about the FN SPR.

Me personally I like going out once in a while and doing some slow shooting for precision, it's just fun having a 7.62 bolt gun.
That said if you can't build an SPRish 5.56, it does make sense to sell the Remington. But I would look into building one and trying to keep the 700. quality parts are hella cheap right now dawg.