PDA

View Full Version : Convert Surefire E1 executive to LED?

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-11, 19:34
I have an old Surefire E1 executive that keeps breaking lamps. I want to switch it to LED. What is the best route?

This is the old single cell Incandescent model.

SeriousStudent
11-26-11, 19:40
I have a friend that did that. I think he used a semi-custom LED that dropped in. It did a good job, increasing the run time.

Do you want to boost the output as well? I will ping him, and see if I can find out where he got his drop-in.

My EDC light is usually an L1, but I have an E1E as well. I've been waiting for the bulb to die, before I replace it. But I will go the LED route when I do.

ST911
11-26-11, 20:32
If compatible with an E2E, I would be interested as well.

CLHC
11-26-11, 20:36
For the SF.E1e, there's drop-in LEDs from Veleno Design and Lumens Factory which both can be had from Lighthound.

http://www.lighthound.com/Accessories-for-SureFire-E-Series_c_35.html

Hope you find what you're looking for!

SeriousStudent
11-26-11, 21:19
My feeble old brain is trying to recall the name of the guy on Candlepower Forums that did this. I am pretty sure he made a LED for the single CR123A as well as a dual CR123A design.

I'm poring over old emails as we speak, and have sent a note to my friend.

Skintop911, I'll let you know what I find out as well.

CLHC
11-26-11, 22:28
My feeble old brain is trying to recall the name of the guy on Candlepower Forums that did this.
Hmmm, was it koala? If so, that was a couple of years ago.

SeriousStudent
11-26-11, 23:03
Hmmm - I don't think that was the guy. I think it was earlier this year, too.

This may be resolved in the morning, after I have had my coffee.

SmokeJumper
11-26-11, 23:05
A VME head from Valeno designs I believe, with a Malkoff M30 or M31 might be an option. One of the illumination experts can probably chime in on the viability of this. I currently run a VME head with M61 on a SF E2E with great success.

drrufo
11-26-11, 23:43
Is the E1 module the same size as the G2 module? If it is, save yourself some work and hassle. Go to ebay and buy any one of the led modules that are for sale from Cree. I am using many of the modules in my G2 lights, they fit well and work ok. There is some heat buildup but it isn't too bad. You can buy them that are direct replacements for the G2 modules or you can get them with many times the "lumens". I don't want to start a peeing contest about the word"lumens" I just use it to determine which are brighter modules.

BBJones13
11-27-11, 01:46
Is the E1 module the same size as the G2 module? If it is, save yourself some work and hassle. Go to ebay and buy any one of the led modules that are for sale from Cree. I am using many of the modules in my G2 lights, they fit well and work ok. There is some heat buildup but it isn't too bad. You can buy them that are direct replacements for the G2 modules or you can get them with many times the "lumens". I don't want to start a peeing contest about the word"lumens" I just use it to determine which are brighter modules.

No. Not even close.

Not a e series expert but I think the best options are valeno drop-ins or lumens factory modular head system. No experience with either. I have used a TLS head replacement with good results but that is more than both of those options and probably not any better.

SeriousStudent
11-27-11, 14:25
I heard back from my friend. CLHC nailed it. It is the Veleno Design that my buddy used. I've handled it, and it looks quite sturdy.

Clumsy oaf that he is, he reports that it has been dropped many times, and is still running.

Thanks, CLHC! :)

DJK
11-27-11, 16:23
I heard back from my friend. CLHC nailed it. It is the Veleno Design that my buddy used. I've handled it, and it looks quite sturdy.

Thanks, CLHC! :)

Cool white or neutral white? My wife and I have three E2Es between us and two of them get carried everyday. The 3rd one is a backup. This could get expensive.:D

SeriousStudent
11-27-11, 18:02
I want to say it was the neutral white. When we tested them a while back, I noticed that the color rendition looked to be a bit more natural and true to life that my Surefire incandescent bulbs.

I called him and asked which he got, and he had no idea. He's long pitched the paperwork on the order.

So would that make it neutral?

DJK
11-27-11, 19:32
I started to do some internet research on the two colors and found lots of opinions, but here is a link that explains and displays the differences: http://www.illuminationgear.com/85243.html

I think you are correct about neutral.

usmcvet
11-27-11, 20:02
Gregg. Let us know. I have an old E1 in my glove box as a third light. An led upgrade would be awesome.

Amicus
11-27-11, 22:15
I had an E1 with an incandescent lamp. After the head failed I replaced it with a Surefire LED replacement, which put out a whopping 40 lumens (give or take). I recently replaced this with a Malkoff VME head and M31L LED. My Mark 1 eyeball test put this at about 125 lumens, the rated output.

So, that old E1 body is now on its third life.

35percent
12-02-11, 10:21
I had an E1 with an incandescent lamp. After the head failed I replaced it with a Surefire LED replacement, which put out a whopping 40 lumens (give or take). I recently replaced this with a Malkoff VME head and M31L LED. My Mark 1 eyeball test put this at about 125 lumens, the rated output.

So, that old E1 body is now on its third life.

Hows your malkoff head in terms of reliability? I have and E2D and am wondering it if worth the money to grab a LED head head for it or just keep it incandescent.

Amicus
12-02-11, 10:44
Hows your malkoff head in terms of reliability? I have and E2D and am wondering it if worth the money to grab a LED head head for it or just keep it incandescent.

This is a pricey option, so unless you have a real need for a new lamp or an upgrade, I'd wait until the incandescent dies.

You are dealing with two hardware items here: the head and the drop-in lamp. The head is a new piece replacing the E-series bezel that is large enough to accommodate the lamp. The lamp, the real heart of the matter, can come in various strengths -- a tradeoff in light intensity for battery life. The Malkoff lamps are a great upgrade for Surefires: they can provide higher output for older models (I currently run a 235 lumen lamp in an old, once incandescent, 6P), are more efficient (I think), and provide superior heat sinking. Downside? The lamps are significantly heavier than the Surefires.

All the Malkoff products I have dealt with are very well made and I regret none of my decisions to buy them. But, I would regard them as an upgrade (if you really want one) or a replacement for dead lamps.

35percent
12-02-11, 10:57
Thank you so much for the reply. I have a bunch of extra bulbs so I might just keep this one purely incandescent and just keep it in my car or something to get occasional use, just can't really justify dropping that kind of money when I could just get a new or used led e2d.

Dennis
12-02-11, 15:36
Various Veleno Designs LED drop in options here.
http://www.lighthound.com/LED-Drop-In_c_197.html

I think a great option here is to go single RCR123 rechargeable and have a small bright EDC that is always fully charged and ready for use.

Otherwise, I really like the VME head and Malkoff drop-in, however only having 1 cell limits your choice/availability of drop-ins.

Truly, the best choice is just to buy a new light. There are MANY single AA, AAA, and CR123 options in the $50 range that are super bright, small, and offer various switching options and output choices.

Dennis.

SeriousStudent
12-02-11, 18:30
I do agree with Amicus. I've had nothing but solid performance from the Malkoff LED's. But they are expensive, and can be hard to locate in stock. Gene's work is very good, and he is reimbursed for that. As he should be.

I usually wait until a bulb burns out, before I replace it with a Malkoff.

Dennis (as usual! :D) makes an excellent point. Sixty bucks for a Malkoff, or 60 bucks for an entirely new light? Makes one ponder the two is one, one is none argument.

Would a Wolf Eyes LED be worth looking into?

ST911
12-02-11, 18:37
I have several M60s in use as patrol and weapon lights. An M60 in a SF G3 has had a particularly hard life. All are GTG. Recommended. Call the shop and discuss your needs. Chances are, Gene may answer the phone and talk your ear off.

Also on the list of known-good are the TNVC units.

Lots of good options out there these days.

Dennis
12-02-11, 19:07
Dennis (as usual! :D) makes an excellent point. Sixty bucks for a Malkoff, or 60 bucks for an entirely new light? Makes one ponder the two is one, one is none argument.

Haha, thanks!

A VME head and Malkoff on a E1 would make for a somewhat large light...

Here are some various very slim and tactical-ish (forward clicky, no stupid button presses that change output) single CR123 lights I have and like. All are under $60.

An incredibly bright single CR123 light with various levels accessible by head twist.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-t10-r5-v2010.html
AA battery tube for AA compatibility too - Still under $60 altogether!
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tube-olight-t15.html

A bit shorter than the Olight, also with various levels via head twist.
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1652

Smallest (shortest), but not as tactical-ish with only click on/off but with a well executed multi level option and least likely to come on in your pocket.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-ex111.html

Dennis.

SmokeJumper
12-03-11, 14:28
Various Veleno Designs LED drop in options here.
http://www.lighthound.com/LED-Drop-In_c_197.html

I think a great option here is to go single RCR123 rechargeable and have a small bright EDC that is always fully charged and ready for use.

Otherwise, I really like the VME head and Malkoff drop-in, however only having 1 cell limits your choice/availability of drop-ins.

Truly, the best choice is just to buy a new light. There are MANY single AA, AAA, and CR123 options in the $50 range that are super bright, small, and offer various switching options and output choices.

Dennis.

I wish I had known about these little upgrades when I retired my original SF E2D. I think it may be able to return to duty with a Veleno Designs drop in. Thanks Dennis for this bit of info.

Amicus
12-03-11, 16:37
I wish I had known about these little upgrades when I retired my original SF E2D. I think it may be able to return to duty with a Veleno Designs drop in. Thanks Dennis for this bit of info.

Just a note on my experience. When I purchased a VME head I successfully ran it on an E2 with several types of Malkoff drop in heads, including the M61 and M61L. That was just for S&G as its real purpose was to boost the E1 I mentioned above.

This was just a "what the hell" experiment. I did not take any measurements or check for battery life. Anyone curious should probably call Mr. Malkoff himself.