PDA

View Full Version : JP V-Tac vs. PRI forend for 20" rifle

mattjmcd
11-30-07, 11:15
I am planning on swapping out my regular guards for a free float arrangement. Both the JP Rifles and PRI offerings look to be very good designs.

Cost aside (the PRI unit costs about twice as much!), is there anything to recommend one over the other?

Robb Jensen
11-30-07, 11:27
The JP VTAC is more 'modular', you can add rails to where ever you want on it. Both are great. The PRI is lighter IIRC, it's been a little while since I've installed one.

mattjmcd
11-30-07, 18:02
thanks.

I just made a choice. (hint: I voted with my wallet)

Jaymce
11-30-07, 19:51
mattjmcd,
Please post your thoughts on the forearm (sounds like you went with the JP). I was planing on buying one of those to use on my first build and would like to know what you think.

Saving a few bucks upfront going with the JP would help right now. I initially started looking for a complete rifle for about 800-1k. Thanks to this sight the final AR should ring in at around 2x that. I mostly blame the posts on this site.:p

Thanks to all for a great site.

RAM Engineer
11-30-07, 20:17
I've been wondering about the pros and cons of these two also. I don't need/want tons of rail space (just enough for a light), but I WOULD like a durable, rugged, free-float handguard. I do like the "front sight tower pocket" option for the JP/VTAC handguard. That would work nicely with my LMT uppers, without having to shave down the FSB.

I've heard Grant say he doesn't like the PRI's (or maybe he said he'd had trouble with them in the past. I'll have to do a search again and see). I also know that Sully uses them on the Grail rifle, which I consider a good endorsement.

Any more info would be appreciated.

Kisara
11-30-07, 20:53
Most PRI rails are sold with a strong, steel barrel nut. There is a version of the 20" available called "Competition Rail" that has a weaker, yet lighter weight aluminum barrel nut and no rails. You can buy the different size rails as optional parts and install/remove them as needed. The aluminum nut is also sold separately, for upgrade/retrofit on your existing PRI systems.

mattjmcd
12-01-07, 13:55
I'll post a review when it arrives.

Jaeger
12-01-07, 16:56
I'll be anxious to see that review. I've been looking hard at the JP forend.

PrarieDog
12-02-07, 17:08
I installed the JP fore end and I can't be happier with it. Some people complain on TOS that JP has you use locktite but that was not a issue with me. It was an easy installation and looks good also. I don't think that I should have bought the upper rail as I don't need it but it has been great for mounting a light. Quality part for the money.

Jaeger
12-02-07, 20:40
So, is it held in place only with locktite?

Robb Jensen
12-02-07, 20:45
So, is it held in place only with locktite?

The flange is red Loc-Tited to the upper receiver (allow to dry overnight) then their barrel nut pushes the barrel into upper receiver. there's female threads on the inner side of the flange. The flange also has the holes that have the several screws that need also to be Loc-Tited (green/blue) to hold the tube to itself.

Jaeger
12-02-07, 23:06
Well, that ought not to go anywhere.

mattjmcd
12-07-07, 19:29
It just arrived and it looks to be a well-executed, solid part. I dropped it off with the guy who wrenches on my guns. He seems pretty impressed with it as well. Once it's actually on the gun, I'll have more substantive feedback.

mattjmcd
12-14-07, 18:36
UPDATE:

The rifle is back from my wrench, and it seems to be good to go. I have NOT fired the rifle yet. I will post a range report as I get some shooting experience with it.

I can say this, though. It seems to be absolutely rock solid. The top rail (I did get one) is very low profile and adds some additional flexibility. The whole unit is lightly texturized- like a fine grit sandpaper. Just handling the rifle, I am struck by how much I *think* it will improve the perceived handling characteristics of the weapon. From an aesthetics standpoint (if you even care about that) the change is pretty tremendous. It makes the rifle look cleaner and even more purposeful, IMO.

More to follow after I re-zero the rifle.

redtazdog
12-14-07, 22:26
Of the 14 AR's that i have 4 of them have the JP handguards and they
are verry well made,
A nice thing is they have 1.75 ID for things like suppressors to fit.
You can place rails whare you like them and dont need rubber or plastic rail covers to protect your hands from getting chewed up by rails that you cant move.
I dont need rails all the way around my handguards .
this is a 9mm build with the AAC Evo9mm can.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/AR9mmwEVO97websized.jpg

mattjmcd
12-15-07, 14:25
Niiiice!

vicious_cb
01-10-09, 20:33
Anyone know the total weight of the Vtac handguard 12" with the barrel nut and screws?

usp_fan
01-10-09, 21:41
I installed this one about a month ago. My impression is that it is rock solid and the flexibility is nice to have. Did you get yours from JP or Viking Tactical?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/usp_fan/ARDone2.jpg

George Mac
01-10-09, 21:51
A buddy has two rifles with PRI tubes. While messing with one a few weeks back I got carbon fiber splinters in my hand. It was a very WTF moment. I had been interested in them before but now....not so much.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-10-09, 23:25
I'll probably use one of these on an upcoming build. I had researched them a bunch, and I'm not planning on swapping the rail out so the Red locite is not a problem. YHM has somehting similar, but I think the JP is a better product from what I read.

I do wish they made one longer (13.2in ?) that would cover the gas port on rifle length systems.

Someone here has one with a Noveske KX3 on it, is it Stick?

A extended rifle hanguard with a KX3 on a 13.7 inch barrel would allow about 1/2 gap between the rail and the KX3, with out having to be NFA on length.

That suppressed rifle is sick.

mattjmcd
01-11-09, 10:52
I installed this one about a month ago. My impression is that it is rock solid and the flexibility is nice to have. Did you get yours from JP or Viking Tactical?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/usp_fan/ARDone2.jpg

From JP.