PDA

View Full Version : .44 Mag Snubbie

BamaM4
11-26-11, 22:48
I bought one at auction. Haven't gotten it yet, but anxiously awaiting....

So, how well does .44 Mag work with a snubbie? I have never shot more than .38spl with one....

skyugo
11-26-11, 22:54
what model is it? I think 44 mag still packs a fair punch out of a shorter barrel. Doesn't drop off bad like 357 mag if i remember correctly.

I was looking at ruger alaskans for awhile (though i have yet to see a bear in this state), they seem to get decent reviews in regard to shootability.

a friend of mine has an airweight smith 44... apparently it's brutal to shoot.

Preliator
11-26-11, 22:55
Who is the maker? what model? Steel or some airweight alloy? How hot of rounds you wanna shoot through it? Have you shot any .44 mags before?

I enjoy shooting my .44 mag Ruger SuperRedhawk - but it is heavy with a 7" barrel. I shoot 300 grain hard cast lead loaded to max SAAMI specs through mine (bear protection) and I dont mind the recoil much - though others have complained about it.

Any shortened version is gonna have a bit of kick and some flash - but the good news is that depending on your use you may find .44 special to be more up your alley.

Eirerogue
11-26-11, 22:57
You're going to get a helluva muzzle blast and flame with .44 mag loads. Forget any double tap. Consider some good defensive .44 Special loads.

BamaM4
11-27-11, 00:01
Taurus Tracker. But, it does not appear to have the ported barrel.....

I am used to .357 with a four inch barrel, just never done a snubbie or .44mag

looks like this.

http://www.discountgunsales.com/images/P/Taurus%20M44C%20Tracker%202%20SS.jpghttp://www.georgiagunstore.com/part_images/TI444029ULT_1.jpg

Alaskapopo
11-27-11, 02:28
what model is it? I think 44 mag still packs a fair punch out of a shorter barrel. Doesn't drop off bad like 357 mag if i remember correctly.

I was looking at ruger alaskans for awhile (though i have yet to see a bear in this state), they seem to get decent reviews in regard to shootability.

a friend of mine has an airweight smith 44... apparently it's brutal to shoot.

It drops off the same as any other cartridge that uses slow burning powder in a short barrel. Personally I much prefer 4 inch 44 mags as a universal choice. Not so big you can't pack it in the woods not so small you can't shoot it well enough to do the job.
Pat

GJM
11-27-11, 11:31
I agree, and most of my 44's are four inch. However I do have a Smith Nightguard .44 magnum snubbie that I have squeezed Hogue K/L frame small rubber grips onto, to carry in a fanny pack out XC skiing. Not much fun to shoot with the Garrett Defender ammo, but it is another tool in the toolbox.

Dienekes
11-27-11, 18:03
You might want to read what John Taffin had to say after shooting howitzers like that. It pretty well destroyed his wrists over time.

GJM
11-27-11, 19:18
The Defender load is a hard cast, penetrating load designed for the Scandium and drives the 310 load at "only" 1,020 fps. I average between 6-12 cartridges a year, per each of my 329's, to verify function, so neither the revolver or my wrists are at too much risk.

Jake'sDad
11-27-11, 21:55
I agree, and most of my 44's are four inch. However I do have a Smith Nightguard .44 magnum snubbie that I have squeezed Hogue K/L frame small rubber grips onto, to carry in a fanny pack out XC skiing. Not much fun to shoot with the Garrett Defender ammo, but it is another tool in the toolbox.

That Defender is a great load. It'll drop anything in North America. The Federal Cast Core is a good 2nd choice.

Jake'sDad
11-27-11, 21:59
You might want to read what John Taffin had to say after shooting howitzers like that. It pretty well destroyed his wrists over time.

Taffin is a shooter first and a gun writer second, (and he's a hell of a nice guy too). I can't even imagine how many rounds he's fired through heavy sixguns.

luckybychoice
11-27-11, 22:45
with a 4&5/8 barrel which is pretty brutal to shoot a long time,i have shot 300g Hornady XTP thru it and the recoil managed to loosen the barrel a bit,sent it to Ruger and they fixed it,along with a good "once over" replacing springs and such to,It's a great gun,not sure if i want anything shorter in a 44 mag.http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/luckybychoice/butchsphotos127-1.jpg

titsonritz
11-28-11, 01:00
I’ve had a 4” Redhawk and a 4” 629 never cared to go shorter with either.

GJM
11-28-11, 05:40
I have a Bowen custom four inch Blackhawk and with full power 300 grain magnum ammo it feels like a BB gun in comparison to the 329 four inch or snubbie. The Blackhawk rolls in my hand, where the 329 pounds you. That said, a DA revolver is what you want in a defensive fight (as opposed to hunting) with a bear.

Eurodriver
11-28-11, 13:00
I have a 4" Redhawk in .44 as well.

Its pretty bad in .44, but after putting about 50 rounds through my buddies .454 Ruger Alaskan (2" Barrel) with full power Hornady .454 rounds, the .44 feels weak and snubby titanium .357s don't even bother me anymore.

DocH
11-28-11, 15:35
I carried a customed 629 4 inch with one SO I worked with.Very rural. I used Black Hills factory loaded semi wadcutters and Winchester silvertips. That was quite a while back. I could control it pretty easily with these loads in DA fire,but I don't think I'd be interested in anything less than 4 inch in the .44,for myself anyway.

Owned a Super Blackhawk bought the week I got home from the Navy and it withstood some very hot loads for many years. Very strong revolver. I started to get split cases with once fired brass using 24 grs. of 2400 powder with a 240 gr. Hornady half jacket soft point. Had to back off a bit on the powder charge.

1st MAW
11-29-11, 10:13
I still carry a customized S&W mod. 29 with a 21/2 inch magna-ported barrel when I am hog hunting....I use a 290 gr hardcast SWC over 91/2 gr of unique....Works damn good on hogs....

tpd223
11-29-11, 20:25

Word.

I have no cartilage in my right elbow anymore, and arthritis in both wrists, and carpal tunnel.

Had I known then what I know now I maybe wouldn't have shot some many high recoil handgun rounds for fun.

1st MAW
11-30-11, 06:28
I have arithritis in my hands and wrists as well, but the magna-porting and Hogue rubber grips greatly aids against the recoil...I shot Silhouette for many years and Im sure this added to my aritihritic misery....