PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something here...???

guido4198
11-27-11, 06:54
OK, I put a red dot on my M4. Shoots great, holds zero and really helps resolve my "aging eyes" issues.
Next, I thought it would be fun to mount a green laser on it. Never had a laser on a firearm...so this is all new to me.
Is a laser P.O.I. setting distance specific..???
for example....If the red dot is delivering rounds dead on @ 50 yds....I set the laser to do the same...spot on @ 50.
Reduce to 20...and the laser "dot" is waayy off when compared to the red dot.
Not sure if I'm describing this well. Perhaps someone with more knowledge and experience with both systems on the same weapon will chime in and explain. At this point, when it comes to having a red dot and a laser on the same weapon...I don't even know what I don't know yet.
Thanks.

lethal dose
11-27-11, 07:27
how off is "way off"?

guido4198
11-27-11, 08:08
couple of feet.....

HardLuck682
11-27-11, 09:51
let me sound uneducated for a minute, and please bear with me. I use a RDS on my rifle, but i have never used a laser with one. I have, however, used a CT grip on my M&P. my M&P grip was "zeroed" at 45 feet, and it shot. with that knowledge, i could "know my hold" at any distance out to my shooting ability. On the RDS on my rifle, it is sighted in a 200M zero. the same goes for that, i know where to hold the dot for POA/POI at the various distances.
my take on this, when used in conjunction, one, the RDS is mounted about 2.4" above bore, and the laser would definitely be mounted at a different location, either below bore or off to the side. Now, at a given distance, those two "dots" will line up, add to or take away from that distance, and the POA/POI wil change, and the two dots will separate from each other.
does this make sense to anyone else but me, also, if someone has anything to add or correct me, feel free.

lethal dose
11-27-11, 10:07
Bingo.
let me sound uneducated for a minute, and please bear with me. I use a RDS on my rifle, but i have never used a laser with one. I have, however, used a CT grip on my M&P. my M&P grip was "zeroed" at 45 feet, and it shot. with that knowledge, i could "know my hold" at any distance out to my shooting ability. On the RDS on my rifle, it is sighted in a 200M zero. the same goes for that, i know where to hold the dot for POA/POI at the various distances.
my take on this, when used in conjunction, one, the RDS is mounted about 2.4" above bore, and the laser would definitely be mounted at a different location, either below bore or off to the side. Now, at a given distance, those two "dots" will line up, add to or take away from that distance, and the POA/POI wil change, and the two dots will separate from each other.
does this make sense to anyone else but me, also, if someone has anything to add or correct me, feel free.

HardLuck682
11-27-11, 11:07
Also, on the AR platform, i personally see no reason for a visible laser on it, especially when using an RDS. just my $.02

lethal dose
11-27-11, 11:12
BINGO! You're on a roll!
Also, on the AR platform, i personally see no reason for a visible laser on it, especially when using an RDS. just my $.02

misanthropist
11-27-11, 12:42
I don't really agree with that. A visible laser gives you the option of shooting with relative accuracy at close range even if, for whatever reason, you can't get behind your rifle properly and sight it.

I agree that this is going to be a pretty unusual combination of factors coming together to make this happen. But there is a use for a visible laser. It's just unconventional in terms of shooting position.

That said I think it's improbable enough that I'll ever personally run in to that set of circumstances that none of my rifles have lasers on them.

militarymoron
11-27-11, 13:22
couple of feet.....

feet? not 'inches'? that doesn't sound possible if it's on at 50.

rushca01
11-27-11, 13:45
What brand laser/mount? Details are needed here.

POI should be aprox the same as the RDS at 20, not getting into great detail about the laser being paralel to the bore etc..