PDA

View Full Version : Would you eat horse meat?

Belmont31R
11-27-11, 10:52
If you would you're in luck since the effective ban on horse meat has been lifted. I know its popular in many European countries particularly in the Scandinavian north. I don't think I could unless it was a survival situation. I grew up riding horses on a small ranch so its like eating a companion or large 'pet'.

This bill was signed law so there will be USDA inspections going on again...

WASHINGTON, Nov. 17 - A provision allowing for the restoration of USDA-sponsored inspections of horse processing facilities is included in the appropriations bill conference report passed in the House of Representatives tonight. The bill sets the 2012 budgets for multiple departments, including Agriculture, Commerce-Justice-Science, and Transportation-HUD. The House approved the bill in a 298-121 vote while the Senate voted 70-30 in favor of the bill.

http://www.agri-pulse.com/lift_ban_horse_slaughter_approps_11172011.asp

Littlelebowski
11-27-11, 10:55
I would eat horse or dog if I had to and I love both of them. Worst thing I ever had to do was shoot a colt.

warpigM-4
11-27-11, 11:38
yeah i guess:D there was a Chinese restaurant that I ate at growing up and later they was busted for sub'ing Cat meat for beef:eek:and all i got was the beef and thought on many times this strange texture meat was not beef ,But I ate it anyway it was good LOL:D

RyanB
11-27-11, 11:52
If it tastes like zebra I will stick to beef.

Belmont31R
11-27-11, 11:54
yeah i guess:D there was a Chinese restaurant that I ate at growing up and later they was busted for sub'ing Cat meat for beef:eek:and all i got was the beef and thought on many times this strange texture meat was not beef ,But I ate it anyway it was good LOL:D

I am very picky about oriental restaurants. They have by far the highest percent of health code violations, and since many of them are run by 'immigrants' they still cook food by 3rd world standards. Things like using the same knives to cut up raw meat and then using them to cut up raw veggies that don't get cooked. Poor food storage practices is also a common one.

See if your state has an online database of violators.

VooDoo6Actual
11-27-11, 11:59
Easy day, of course.

Tastes like Chicken...

Beware et alia....

Trichinosis, Trichiniasis; Trichinellosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001655/

CiPro
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000878/

Littlelebowski
11-27-11, 12:00
Every time I've been in the third world, I made it a point to eat locally. Never got sick. I have gotten very sick eating in Virginia though.

VLODPG
11-27-11, 12:11
I ate smoked sausage that was made with it while in Poland.

It wasn't bad (slightly sweet) but I didn't know what I was eating.

Thomas M-4
11-27-11, 12:14

I ate there seems that I remember they found dog meat in the freezer or maybe it was cat.
Tasted damn good either way.

Belmont31R
11-27-11, 12:21
Every time I've been in the third world, I made it a point to eat locally. Never got sick. I have gotten very sick eating in Virginia though.

In 1900 the 3rd leading cause of death was diarrhea mostly caused by poor sanitary conditions. Not something to mess around with. Of course now we know all about little microscopic bugs and have far better medicine in addition to much better food prep procedures.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/lead1900_98.pdf

LOKNLOD
11-27-11, 12:28
Horse? Maybe, beats eating my neighbors (I don't like Vietnamese food).

Worst thing I ever had to do was shoot a colt.

Out-of-context sigline of the year. You just became the hero of the Bushmaster forum.

Littlelebowski
11-27-11, 12:28
In 1900 the 3rd leading cause of death was diarrhea mostly caused by poor sanitary conditions. Not something to mess around with. Of course now we know all about little microscopic bugs and have far better medicine in addition to much better food prep procedures.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/lead1900_98.pdf

OK, but I did what I did and am fine. I think there's a lot of fearmongering nowadays and don't lose sleep over things like this. I've eaten curry with whores in Thailand, freshly killed goat with Omani soldiers, and god knows what but it was tasty in Hong Kong. Never got sick. I have gotten violently ill from eating in Virginia. Twice. Anti diarrheal medicine and PediaLyte fixed me right up.

Littlelebowski
11-27-11, 12:34
Out-of-context sigline of the year. You just became the hero of the Bushmaster forum.

Nice :D

a0cake
11-27-11, 13:07
I don't get too wrapped up about food safety, although it does cross my mind. Often, there's nothing you can do about it. In Afghanistan we often had to eat food however the locals prepared it. For the first few months of any deployment you're going to get sick eating local food. But you adjust. We would have prepared it ourselves but then they can't eat it. Unless a Muslim slaughters the animal while chanting Allah Akbar, they won't eat it. They have to eat, so we let them do it. Unless you want to end up in this goat's place, I'd advise at least pretending you like it. ;)

This one actually came out as good as boiled goat w/ red beans and rice can....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/abc4.jpg

jwfuhrman
11-27-11, 13:08
I grew up riding horses on a small ranch so its like eating a companion or large 'pet'.

hell, I grew up and live on a Beef and Hog farm..... We've named most of the animals. Hogs are stupid, but our Beef(Dairy Beef) will literally come when you call them by their names. We only have 10 head of cattle and about 6 hogs, so it works.

zacbol
11-27-11, 13:09
I have eaten horse though it was not on purpose. I was living in Sweden and bought some 'Hamburger' cold meat, which I did not realize meant 'horse meat'. I immediately disliked the gamey taste and asked a Swede what it was. Not for me. If I was starving, of course, no question.

If you're in Switzerland, you'll see them hanging up in butcher shops which can be a bit off-putting.

SeriousStudent
11-27-11, 13:33

Indeed. In six years on active duty I ate rats, snakes, frogs, beetles, cats, lizards, dogs, walrus, horses, monkey and stuff that would have made a Somali famine victim shudder in disgust.

I got food poisoning four times. All four times it was traced back to something I ate in a Marine Corps chow hall.

And the reason it's called a "chow" hall is because that is the predominant species on the menu.

Belmont31R
11-27-11, 13:41
I don't get too wrapped up about food safety, although it does cross my mind. Often, there's nothing you can do about it. In Afghanistan we often had to eat food however the locals prepared it. For the first few months of any deployment you're going to get sick eating local food. But you adjust. We would have prepared it ourselves but then they can't eat it. Unless a Muslim slaughters the animal while chanting Allah Akbar, they won't eat it. They have to eat, so we let them do it. Unless you want to end up in this goat's place, I'd advise at least pretending you like it. ;)

This one actually came out as good as boiled goat w/ red beans and rice can....

We ate local food quite a bit since our Army cooks were terrible, and more than once got meat that wasn't cooked all the way through. At least the Iraqis would cook the shit thoroughly. Got sick a couple times but worth the risk. We'd give our terps 10 bucks and they would bring back huge piles of food. I loved these little sweet rolls they'd bring us.

The only time I refused to eat local food there was some Iraqi soldiers brought us food from their chow hall, and it was basically a knee joint off something. The "meat" was tendons, ligaments, and cartilage. **** that.

variablebinary
11-27-11, 13:47
I prefer Tauntaun

SteyrAUG
11-27-11, 13:49
I don't think I could unless it was a survival situation.

That's pretty much me. I think humans and certain domesticated animals have formed bonds that are too close for such things. And only the less civilized don't seem to recognize that.

Don Robison
11-27-11, 13:54
Sure; I've done it before so it's not new. I'd eat it again before I drank fermented mare's milk again; that shit was vile.

halo2304
11-27-11, 14:03
hell, I grew up and live on a Beef and Hog farm..... We've named most of the animals. Hogs are stupid, but our Beef(Dairy Beef) will literally come when you call them by their names. We only have 10 head of cattle and about 6 hogs, so it works.

So, what you're saying is, your baloney REALLY DID have a first name! :lol:

Littlelebowski
11-27-11, 15:05
That's pretty much me. I think humans and certain domesticated animals have formed bonds that are too close for such things. And only the less civilized don't seem to recognize that.

Try working in agriculture.

montanadave
11-27-11, 15:23
So, what you're saying is, your baloney REALLY DID have a first name! :lol:

That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read today. Well done. :laugh:

My ex-MIL would never eat beef they raised on their ranch. When it came time to butcher a steer, she'd swap one with a neighbor so she wouldn't be eating one of her own cattle. She spent too much time with 'em and just couldn't bear the idea of eating one of her critters.

CLHC
11-27-11, 15:49
I remember back in 1980 or 1981, Jack in the Box served horse meat for their hamburgers and tacos which was at the plant was labeled as "beef" but not.

SW-Shooter
11-27-11, 16:50
I don't understand why this is happening, it's not like we are facing a food shortage or other availability crisis. This makes no sense, I think it's to cater to the Muslims since they don't eat pork and the eastern Indians (read:dot not feather) since they don't eat cows.

Eating a horse would be like eating the household dog or cat, this disgusts me.

An Undocumented Worker
11-27-11, 17:36
Yes, so long as I either new what conditions the animal lived in by a local, or passed FDA inspections for commercial sale.

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-27-11, 17:38
My wife and I have horses I suppose we would eat them if we had to but we would loose alot of weight first.

I dont suppose the bill has anything to do with re opening horse slaughter house's does it? I hope so, cause when the majiorty of them got closed, the bottom droped out of the horse market. There is nothing you can do with a lame animal now except dig a hole in your yard. Before you could get 800$ taking them to slaughter, sure its hard.

Belmont31R
11-27-11, 17:46
My wife and I have horses I suppose we would eat them if we had to but we would loose alot of weight first.

I dont suppose the bill has anything to do with re opening horse slaughter house's does it? I hope so, cause when the majiorty of them got closed, the bottom droped out of the horse market. There is nothing you can do with a lame animal now except dig a hole in your yard. Before you could get 800$ taking them to slaughter, sure its hard.

Yep its for horse slaughter houses.

We had a few horses taken off on the wagon. Our last one that died was buried under our arena since it was my parents first horse together, was shown, and birthed another horse we had. They, understandably, didn't want to ship her off to get cut up.

spamsammich
11-27-11, 18:26
Had horse several times in northern Italy and in Japan. All forms, steaks, braised, cured/dried, and carpaccio/sashimi style. I was really surprised by how often I saw horse on the menu in Italy.

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-27-11, 18:27
Yep its for horse slaughter houses.

We had a few horses taken off on the wagon. Our last one that died was buried under our arena since it was my parents first horse together, was shown, and birthed another horse we had. They, understandably, didn't want to ship her off to get cut up.

Thanks for the reply I am not a sicko, but I for one am happy this is going to resume. There are alot of animals out there wasting away and suffering, just being starved to death. Look at craigs list it any state, you cant give a horse away, animals that before would have cost you 10k are now free for the taking.

I know why they put a stop to it but the solution was a knee jerk reaction, that was far to inclusive in its intent.

Belmont31R
11-27-11, 18:30
Had horse several times in northern Italy and in Japan. All forms, steaks, braised, cured/dried, and carpaccio/sashimi style. I was really surprised by how often I saw horse on the menu in Italy.

Europe does not have the large land swaths we do for grazing cattle.

Belmont31R
11-27-11, 18:33
Thanks for the reply I am not a sicko, but I for one am happy this is going to resume. There are alot of animals out there wasting away and suffering, just being starved to death. Look at craigs list it any state, you cant give a horse away, animals that before would have cost you 10k are now free for the taking.

I know why they put a stop to it but the solution was a knee jerk reaction, that was far to inclusive in its intent.

Yep Ive read about the horse market a few times, and sad to see whats been happening. Horses are not near as cheap or as easy as people think when they first get into them. Lots of horses out there in 20x20 pens their entire lives.

Without a cost effective way to get rid of unwanted horses too many of them will basically rot away and be neglected.

usmcvet
11-27-11, 19:47

And Patriots fans like me. Pats vs Colts next week. :)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-27-11, 21:18
My BIL was stationed in Oki for awhile, said that horse was pretty common on the menu's of smaller joints. I wouldnt eat it if I didnt have too. We've slaughtered a goat and eaten it as stew, but thats because we were forced too by the .mil, not because we wanted too.

glocktogo
11-27-11, 22:22
Meh, I ate it in Italy this summer, no big deal. It didn't taste as good as beef, but it was far from inedible. I grew up on a cattle ranch, but never cared much for horses. I was more attached to some of the heifers I showed in FFA than the horses we rode.

Heavy Metal
11-27-11, 22:31
Whenever you stop at a Roy Rogers, be sure and ask for the 'Triggerburger'!

PdxMotoxer
11-28-11, 02:39
After racing in the Baja 1000 we were in the town of La PAZ (just north of cabo)
And found this classy little restaurant that had one of the BEST steaks i've ever had.
I went back to thank the chef and he spoke very little english but had a ear to ear grin and a happy man.

I told him how awesome that steak was and he just kept smiling and saying "ci- good burro" "good donkey" lol

The way he was laughing i thought it was a joke. :sarcastic:
after that race and tired of camping out we checked into a little hotel
(cruse ships stop there so it's a tourist town) and many of the staff spoke english.

We were chillin at the pool bar and laughing with the bartender
drinking our cans of corona and i told him the joke the chef told me.

The bartender laughed and asked.... in the race down, and drive up from cabo if we seen any "cows".

:blink:

crap that chef wasn't joking

JohnnyC
11-28-11, 05:02
Have eaten it before in France and Japan. Even eaten it raw in Japan. I've never really had an aversion to eating weird shit in my travels. I probably wouldn't raise my own Seabiscuit then take a bite out of him unless I was starving, but I don't have a problem with it in general. It's far from the worst thing most of us eat, even on a regular basis.

orionz06
11-28-11, 06:58
I would not pursue it but I suspect I will not be able to avoid it all my life and might never know if I do eat it.

I prefer Tauntaun
Not sure they have that anywhere in Pittsburgh.

kdcgrohl
11-28-11, 09:07
Funny, I was thinking about this subject yesterday as I was watching Andrew Zimmern(Bizarre Foods) in a butcher shop prominently featuring horse meat.

I've never understood why we raise the live stock we do, but the eating of horses/donkeys etc... is frowned upon. Of course, I didn't grow up with horses as pets either.

warpigM-4
11-28-11, 13:00
I am very picky about oriental restaurants. They have by far the highest percent of health code violations, and since many of them are run by 'immigrants' they still cook food by 3rd world standards. Things like using the same knives to cut up raw meat and then using them to cut up raw veggies that don't get cooked. Poor food storage practices is also a common one.

See if your state has an online database of violators.
So very true man I am a lot pickier Now I never thought of looking for the State Database thanks for that I will search online!!

I have one restaurant that I eat at now and I checked their Health score card that they keep at the counter .
98 no major issues the 2 points was just because of the dumpster not being dumped and locked but that was on the city :confused: i did see a review our local news does on scores and one BK had a 88 because of employee hygiene ewwwwww:eek:

Eurodriver
11-28-11, 13:02

Hmm....

\/

Eurodriver
11-28-11, 13:05
So very true man I am a lot pickier Now I never thought of looking for the State Database thanks for that I will search online!!

I have one restaurant that I eat at now and I checked their Health score card that they keep at the counter .
98 no major issues the 2 points was just because of the dumpster not being dumped and locked but that was on the city :confused: i did see a review our local news does on scores and one BK had a 88 because of employee hygiene ewwwwww:eek:

Holy crap you guys are right.

I just checked my local restaurant violations online and while there are very many restaurants, most only have 1 or 2 violations for things like lack of chemical test kits for certain things.

Nearly every single Asian food restaurant has over THIRTY violations on EACH visit.

scottryan
11-28-11, 14:05
I will not deviate from my American food customs.

montanadave
11-28-11, 14:07
I will not deviate from my American food customs.

But would you eat cat meat? :lol:

scottryan
11-28-11, 14:09
But would you eat cat meat? :lol:

Only if I was starving.

Bowser
11-28-11, 16:33
Sure. Just let me have my hot sauces.

I like cow tongue too.

halo2304
11-28-11, 18:46
The hardest part about eating a horse? The shoes! :D

BTW, I would try horse, cat, dog etc. well, WELL before I try a "prarie oyster."

For those that some how don't know, prarie oysters are fried bull's testicles. :suicide2:

Sorry, I like beef, but not THAT much! Hell, I wouldn't even put my own in my mouth! And I WASH them!

montanadave
11-28-11, 19:03

BTW, I would try horse, cat, dog etc. well, WELL before I try a "prarie oyster."

For those that some how don't know, prarie oysters are fried bull's testicles. :suicide2:

Sorry, I like beef, but not THAT much! Hell, I wouldn't even put my own in my mouth! And I WASH them!

Rocky Mountain oysters ain't bad. Hell, you can bread and deep fry damn near anything and make it edible. Slather it with a little ranch dressing and it becomes darn tasty.

And the right atmosphere can help: http://www.testyfesty.com/Default.aspx

scottryan
11-28-11, 19:59

Rocky Mountain oysters are a delicacy and are very good and are served in high end steak houses.

ST911
11-28-11, 20:41
Rocky Mountain oysters ain't bad. Hell, you can bread and deep fry damn near anything and make it edible. Slather it with a little ranch dressing and it becomes darn tasty.

And the right atmosphere can help: http://www.testyfesty.com/Default.aspx

You haven't eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters until you've done so out in the field, fresh off the bull, cooked over an open campfire, surrounded by friends.

ST911
11-28-11, 20:45
Then there are lamb fries...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4mqCDakVQ

sandsunsurf
11-28-11, 20:57
I don't understand why this is happening, it's not like we are facing a food shortage or other availability crisis. This makes no sense, I think it's to cater to the Muslims since they don't eat pork and the eastern Indians (read:dot not feather) since they don't eat cows.

Eating a horse would be like eating the household dog or cat, this disgusts me.

You're so backwards- it makes total sense. The only reason we DON'T eat horse meat is because one time, long ago, a Pope decreed we shouldn't eat our working beasts. It's one of the ways we are as asinine as Muslims.

The way I see it, this is the first necessary step so those of us in west can start hunting the feral horses that are overpopulating and over grazing the same land that our deer and other wildlife need. Once you've seen the devastation these stupid animals cause to water sources and food sources, you'll never want to let them "run free in the wild west" again.

variablebinary
11-28-11, 21:23
You're so backwards- it makes total sense. The only reason we DON'T eat horse meat is because one time, long ago, a Pope decreed we shouldn't eat our working beasts. It's one of the ways we are as asinine as Muslims.

It has nothing to do with any pope or working beasts

In Deuteronomy and Leviticus what is regarded as clean to eat was clearly outlined. For mammals they must be cud-chewing animals with split hooves. Considering the time the bible was written, it's for sure a good rule to follow unless you like parasites and sickness.

sandsunsurf
11-28-11, 21:40
It has nothing to do with any pope or working beasts

In Deuteronomy and Leviticus what is regarded as clean to eat was clearly outlined. For mammals they must be cud-chewing animals with split hooves. Considering the time the bible was written, it's for sure a good rule to follow unless you like parasites and sickness.

In 732, Pope Gregory III instructed Saint Boniface to suppress the pagan practice of eating horses, calling it a "filthy and abominable custom". Our country is a Christian nation, no matter how much of a claim of separation of church and state there is. Even then, there were still horses being slaughtered and eaten until just a few decades back (and exported more recently) but the cozy feeling of a horse as a companion makes it like a dog or cat so people are opposed to eating them... Whatever. I would rather have a pig, cow, or goat as a pet instead of a horse, and I'd eat any of them.

On a short tangent, if people think the horses are like cats and dogs, then we need to round up the f-ing stray horses running rampant all over Nevada!

sandsunsurf
11-28-11, 21:58
I'm going to bow out of this thread with one last statement (so I don't get too fired up and get banned).

I live in Nevada, where the so-called wild horses are ****ing up watering holes and grazing lands like you cannot believe. The tree-huggers and the normal folk all seem to have this idea that horses are majestic creatures and shouldn't be managed. They oppose BLM round ups, and wouldn't even consider a hunting season. The horses are literally more protected than ANY other game animal, similar to an endangered species. The problem is that they are actually escaped domesticated animals. They have no foraging skills, so they over graze, eating plants so short that they don't grow back. The shit and piss in their water sources, just like a cow, ruining it for many other animals. They roam into the cities and ruin landscaping and cause traffic accidents. Would we ever just let cats and dogs do this? No, we have animal services to trap them and kill them.

I believe we need to manage the horses, and both hunting them for food and rounding them up are good options. I fully support shipping the already corralled horses to another country where they can be slaughtered and eaten. I really feel that humans shouldn't revere an animal so much that we won't eat it. Therefore if your religion keeps you from eating cows, then you're dumb in my book. And if cultural stigma or religion or whatever keeps Americans from eating horse, well then.... we are dumb. Allowing horses to be slaughtered again is the first step back to sanity. We are the top of the food chain and we eat animals. That simple.

jaydoc1
11-29-11, 05:20
Maybe this will cause a nice decrease in the cost of horsehide holsters. And flight jackets. And all the other leather items that become ungodly expensive if you have them made out of horsehide.

Littlelebowski
11-29-11, 07:27
Amen! Well said. We should chat about that jackass Ted Turner and his damned bison sometime..... The wild horses boohooing is yet another reason to detest Willie Nelson.

I'm going to bow out of this thread with one last statement (so I don't get too fired up and get banned).

I live in Nevada, where the so-called wild horses are ****ing up watering holes and grazing lands like you cannot believe. The tree-huggers and the normal folk all seem to have this idea that horses are majestic creatures and shouldn't be managed. They oppose BLM round ups, and wouldn't even consider a hunting season. The horses are literally more protected than ANY other game animal, similar to an endangered species. The problem is that they are actually escaped domesticated animals. They have no foraging skills, so they over graze, eating plants so short that they don't grow back. The shit and piss in their water sources, just like a cow, ruining it for many other animals. They roam into the cities and ruin landscaping and cause traffic accidents. Would we ever just let cats and dogs do this? No, we have animal services to trap them and kill them.

I believe we need to manage the horses, and both hunting them for food and rounding them up are good options. I fully support shipping the already corralled horses to another country where they can be slaughtered and eaten. I really feel that humans shouldn't revere an animal so much that we won't eat it. Therefore if your religion keeps you from eating cows, then you're dumb in my book. And if cultural stigma or religion or whatever keeps Americans from eating horse, well then.... we are dumb. Allowing horses to be slaughtered again is the first step back to sanity. We are the top of the food chain and we eat animals. That simple.

montanadave
11-29-11, 09:09
Not eatin' horses is certainly a cultural thing, but I don't think it has anything to do with the book of Leviticus or some pope from the Middle Ages.

It has to do with millions of folks who grew up reading My Friend Flicka or watching National Velvet and The Black Stallion. Every old western had a cowboy whose relationship with his horse was better than his relationship with his wife or girlfriend. How many tens of thousands of little girls grew up with My Little Pony toys, videos, and whatnot. Look at the recent popularity of movies like Sea Biscuit. And I just saw a trailer for a big holiday blockbuster from Stephen Spielberg called War Horse. Here's a snippet from the movie trailer (http://www.warhorsemovie.com/synopsis):

“War Horse” begins with the remarkable friendship between a horse named Joey and a young man called Albert, who tames and trains him. When they are forcefully parted, the film follows the extraordinary journey of the horse as he moves through the war, changing and inspiring the lives of all those he meets—British cavalry, German soldiers, and a French farmer and his granddaughter—before the story reaches its emotional climax in the heart of No Man’s Land.

The First World War is experienced through the journey of this horse—an odyssey of joy and sorrow, passionate friendship and high adventure.

Joey's gonna survive the trenches of France in WWI only to come home and end up on the grill? Horses and humans have had a unique relationship for thousands of years, they have been anthropomorphized in our literature and film, and the fact that many people have an aversion to eating them is hardly surprising.

kartoffel
11-29-11, 09:58
It has to do with millions of folks who grew up reading My Friend Flicka or watching National Velvet and The Black Stallion. Every old western had a cowboy whose relationship with his horse was better than his relationship with his wife or girlfriend. How many tens of thousands of little girls grew up with My Little Pony toys, videos, and whatnot. Look at the recent popularity of movies like Sea Biscuit. And I just saw a trailer for a big holiday blockbuster from Stephen Spielberg called War Horse. Here's a snippet from the movie trailer (http://www.warhorsemovie.com/synopsis):

Maybe so, but I grew up reading Charlotte's Web and I just love to eat pork!

Eating horse seems weird to me in the same way that eating a dairy cow would be weird. In US culture, they're not meat animals. Beef cattle however: food. I think some of the aversion is that people imagine eating some 20 year old nag headed to a glue factory, rather than a young, healthy horse that may have very well been raised for meat.

JSantoro
11-29-11, 10:43

Don't think ya got too much to worry about. Pigs in Texas, groundhogs pretty much anywhere, people all over the globe....vermin isn't really a species-specific label.

Hang around me sometime when I go off on my "precious = rare, ergo life is not precious" sermons. There's a milk crate to stand upon, violent hand-gestures, chanting, etc. It's quite a show.

Usually at weddings.....

montanadave
11-29-11, 10:52
Don't think ya got too much to worry about. Pigs in Texas, groundhogs pretty much anywhere, people all over the globe....vermin isn't really a species-specific label.

Hang around me sometime when I go off on my "precious = rare, ergo life is not precious" sermons. There's a milk crate to stand upon, violent hand-gestures, chanting, etc. It's quite a show.

Usually at weddings.....

Now THAT'S how you get a wedding reception rolling! :laugh:

Please have someone record the next "sermon" and post it up. We're starved for good entertainment.

montanadave
11-29-11, 10:54
Maybe so, but I grew up reading Charlotte's Web and I just love to eat pork!

But I'm guessing you read Orwell's Animal Farm after you read Charlotte's web. :haha:

chadbag
11-29-11, 13:26
If it's on the menu, then sure.

kartoffel
11-29-11, 15:51
But I'm guessing you read Orwell's Animal Farm after you read Charlotte's web. :haha:

Yep. All animals are created equal. Some of them just taste better. :jester:

usmcvet
11-29-11, 19:19
Does it taste good? If so I'd eat it.

Belmont31R
11-29-11, 19:36
Yep. All animals are created equal. Some of them just taste better. :jester:

We get some aged prime grade New Yorks here that puts any pork or chicken product to shame.

I have never been one for gamey tasting meat. I don't like seafood, either. The closest Ive come to liking sea food is beer battered halibut with lots of lemon juice and ketchup.

usmcvet
11-29-11, 19:57
I don't care for venison or seafood either. And you guys talking about bulls nuts almost made me toss my cookies I will stick to peanuts thanks! :D

Belmont31R
11-29-11, 19:59
I don't care for venison or seafood either. And you guys talking about bulls nuts almost made me toss my cookies I will stick to peanuts thanks! :D

I don't eat 'organ' meet, either.

usmcvet
11-29-11, 20:17
I don't eat 'organ' meet, either.

I was at deer camp with buddies and the liver and heart were cooked up first, NASTY. NASTY. NASTY. The backstrap/tenderloin was great.

Belmont31R
11-29-11, 20:44
I was at deer camp with buddies and the liver and heart were cooked up first, NASTY. NASTY. NASTY. The backstrap/tenderloin was great.

I would refuse it. Don't care how bad I got ribbed for it, either.

I would dig ditches for 2-3 hours to make myself a NY strip steak before I ever took a bite out of an organ. I think eating those things is bad juju esp CNS parts or kidney and livers. Thats how mad cow became such an issue is because they were feeding organ meat to other livestock, and with the prions in there it can **** you up.

chadbag
11-29-11, 22:48
I don't like seafood, either. The closest Ive come to liking sea food is beer battered halibut with lots of lemon juice and ketchup.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1354054968418&id=67b3dafc468624fe306eec15a735029b&url=http%3a%2f%2fupload.wikimedia.org%2fwikipedia%2fcommons%2f4%2f4c%2fSalmon_sushi_cut.jpg

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1307268819018&id=446fa00b76f7411a1a313f80e3e6bda1&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.europe.nctu.edu.tw%2fimages%2f5th%2fsushi.jpg

ummmmm! One of the finer pleasures in life when done right.

Wife and I were recently invited to go out on someone else's tab and we chose a high end place (for SLC) and ended up eating $150 worth (including tax and gratuity) (as a thanks for some work I did [in addition to getting paid -- the work had taken several of my evenings away from family and they were trying to make up for it])

chadbag
11-29-11, 22:50
I've had organ meat a few times including at a Korean "bbq" place in Osaka. VERY tasty and tender.

Belmont31R
11-29-11, 22:52
I've had organ meat a few times including at a Korean "bbq" place in Osaka. VERY tasty and tender.

I don't doubt it but most organs filter crap out of what goes down the pipe or is a CNS part which is bad juju to eat.

Redmanfms
11-30-11, 00:06
I would refuse it. Don't care how bad I got ribbed for it, either.

I would dig ditches for 2-3 hours to make myself a NY strip steak before I ever took a bite out of an organ. I think eating those things is bad juju esp CNS parts or kidney and livers. Thats how mad cow became such an issue is because they were feeding organ meat to other livestock, and with the prions in there it can **** you up.

People have been eating organ meat since damn near forever, yet mad cow disease (which is a mostly media created crisis anyway) is a problem of the last decade. BTW, nobody is entirely sure exactly how mad cow propagates. It is thought it has something to do with cannibalism, but no one is sure.

I love organ meat. It's good stuff. I usually avoid brains because I don't really like the flavor, but heart and kidney? I'll scarf that stuff. All the great and varied European sausages if they're real are mostly organ meat.

I've eaten horse. I'm not inclined to do it again (because I love Flicka) and grew up with horse culture, but I don't think that gives me the right to outlaw food.

This is a step toward freedom. More freedom is always better.

11-30-11, 09:34
Dutch oven+potatoes+mushrooms+seasoning+horsemeat+5 hrs. slow cooking=full belly and satiation.

J-Dub
11-30-11, 10:46
Nope, i'll stick with venison....that i shot.

Nathan_Bell
11-30-11, 10:58
Does it taste good? If so I'd eat it.

Exactly.

ghostman1960
11-30-11, 11:40
If I was starving, nothing on four legs would be off the menu.

montanadave
12-01-11, 08:20
As Montana and Wyoming are agricultural states with large livestock numbers, the issue of horse slaughter is one that attracts a significant amount of local interest. Here is a local news article which provides some decent background information for those that may be interested.

Here's the link: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/lifted-ban-means-horse-slaughter-will-likely-resume-by-spring/article_96be86d6-91af-5aa4-a31a-b321fff27e04.html

markm
12-01-11, 12:18
It would take me a long time to get used to the idea of eating horse meat.

jaydoc1
12-01-11, 18:28
In Peru they eat guinea pigs.

In Iceland they eat rotten shark meat that has been buried underground for 6-12 weeks then is cut into strips and hung to dry for months until it forms a brown crust on it.

In China they eat "Century Eggs". Basically eggs that have been stewed in salt, tea, lime, wood ash, clay and rice hulls for a few months. They look like this:

http://o.aolcdn.com/os/travel/editorial/FLICKRcenturyegg52311

In Palau they boil live fruit bats in water or milk to make soup.

Philippines: (I'm just shuddering to type this. A former friend stationed in the Philippines actually tried this...with projectile results!) Balut. This gastronomical wonder is (I'm going to copy and paste here) ...a fertilized duck or chicken egg. The bird embryo is allowed to grow inside, not quite to maturity, at which time the whole egg is boiled (yes, the embryo is still alive). The entire contents of the egg are then eaten -- the brothy goodness around the embryo is slurped up and the fetus itself is taken with a dash of salt or perhaps a bit of chili and vinegar.

http://o.aolcdn.com/os/travel/editorial/FLICKRbalut52311 Mmmm.... Chili and vinegar. That makes anything tasty.

Italy is a well-developed country, right? Fettuccine, spaghetti, fine wines, beautiful women and...casu marzu. That's cheese infested with maggots ON PURPOSE! Cracked.com describes it as, "... a maggot-ridden, weeping stink bomb in an advanced state of decomposition."
Okay, this is actually illegal now because of health concerns (really?) but the great thing about eating this cheese is that the cute little maggots would jump into the air (up to six inches) while the cheese was being eaten. Dinner with a show!
(Eye protection required)

I'll take the horse meat. With seconds.

Oh wait! I almost forgot Korea!!!!!

http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/cracked/wong/micewine1.jpg Anyone want to guess what this lovely concoction is?

It's Korean baby mice wine! Little mice, eyes still closed, are plucked from the embrace of their loving mothers and stuffed (while still alive) into a bottle of rice wine.

Give me thirds on the Horse please!!!

montanadave
12-01-11, 18:50
I can't tell you, JayDoc, how pleased I am that I waited until after dinner to read that last post. :bad:

That shit makes Fear Factor look like a Happy Meal.

Bowser
12-01-11, 23:00
Philippines: (I'm just shuddering to type this. A former friend stationed in the Philippines actually tried this...with projectile results!) Balut. This gastronomical wonder is (I'm going to copy and paste here) ...a fertilized duck or chicken egg. The bird embryo is allowed to grow inside, not quite to maturity, at which time the whole egg is boiled (yes, the embryo is still alive). The entire contents of the egg are then eaten -- the brothy goodness around the embryo is slurped up and the fetus itself is taken with a dash of salt or perhaps a bit of chili and vinegar.

You girl! Balut tastes good. Some lemon and pepper sauce. Aww yeahh.

jaydoc1
12-01-11, 23:03
I can't tell you, JayDoc, how pleased I am that I waited until after dinner to read that last post. :bad:

That shit makes Fear Factor look like a Happy Meal.

Glad I could help. LOL.

jaydoc1
12-01-11, 23:07
You girl! Balut tastes good. Some lemon and pepper sauce. Aww yeahh.

:bad:

Moose-Knuckle
12-02-11, 02:16
I don't understand why this is happening, it's not like we are facing a food shortage or other availability crisis.

Who say's we're not?

As for horse meat. . .

Of all the animals mentioned in this thread and consumed the globe over, what other animal has man depended on for transportation (shaped human history)?

Growing up in TX (huge horse culture) horses are revered here. Horses have never been bred for eating here. Instead they are raised as modes of transport and or labor. Obviously since the advent of the automobile the horse has taken a back seat. Horses are very muscular animals; very lean not a lot of choice cuts.

Would I eat a horse, sure if I was starving. As long as beef, pork, and poultry are available what's the purpose of eating horse meat state side other than being a foodie? I think it is very much a culture thing.

My focus is not so much on horse meat being taboo as it is on the why all of a sudden the FDA is changing their tune.

montanadave
12-02-11, 09:26
My focus is not so much on horse meat being taboo as it is on the why all of a sudden the FDA is changing their tune.

Take a look at the article in the Billings Gazette I linked above.

Belmont31R
12-02-11, 10:58
Yep too many horses, and you can get as many as you want for free right now because no one can do anything with them. Most horses come from junk blood lines and aren't worth anything if they can't be sold for slaughter.

Cheap horses meant a lot of people who shouldn't have gotten them got one and with the economy in the shitter they can't afford to maintain their "cheap" horse anymore. It takes around 2k a year to maintain a horse and that doesn't even include buying land, tack, and taking the time to actually learn how to ride the damn thing. Unless you never take the horse anywhere you need a truck and trailer for it, too.

montanadave
12-02-11, 11:46
Papers in Montana and Wyoming have stories every week of folks being charged with animal cruelty after they have abandoned livestock to starve, left penned up or fenced in without food or water.

It's a shame. I can't fathom the lack of conscience some people display.

Belmont31R
12-02-11, 12:11
I wonder if the ban had an impact on zoo's. A long time ago we got a behind the scenes tour at the San Diego Zoo, and they were feeding the cats horse meat. It has to be quite a bit more expensive to feed beef or pork.

QuietShootr
12-02-11, 12:26
Holy crap you guys are right.

I just checked my local restaurant violations online and while there are very many restaurants, most only have 1 or 2 violations for things like lack of chemical test kits for certain things.

Nearly every single Asian food restaurant has over THIRTY violations on EACH visit.

Oh, they do not GIVE a **** about Western standards. I once worked in an upscale Chinese restaurant as a waiter in college (I was the only white guy in the place), and I saw, daily:

The owner taking rice off of bus trays and putting it back in the steamer
Owner and employees eating off of bus trays
One knife used for everything, as mentioned above
Rodenticide pellets spread everywhere
Drinks getting recycled (two half-empty cokes make one full one)

They used to scrape plates into containers and send them home with me:rolleyes:.

You can't pay me to eat Chinese food. Nasty mother****ers.

markm
12-02-11, 12:40

Wow. That's grody.

Moose-Knuckle
12-02-11, 16:05
Oh, they do not GIVE a **** about Western standards. I once worked in an upscale Chinese restaurant as a waiter in college (I was the only white guy in the place), and I saw, daily:

The owner taking rice off of bus trays and putting it back in the steamer
Owner and employees eating off of bus trays
One knife used for everything, as mentioned above
Rodenticide pellets spread everywhere
Drinks getting recycled (two half-empty cokes make one full one)

They used to scrape plates into containers and send them home with me:rolleyes:.

In the city I work we have the largest China Town around. Some of our guys will respond to burglary calls at these places, usually just a storm tripped a sensor. We have found cats hanging off meat hooks in the back, dead rats, meat left out to spoil that was intended for the next day, etc. Only Chinese food I will eat any more is Panda Expres or Pei Wai as it's made in front of me. I stay clear of the "mom and pop" ones as well as the "buffets".

WillBrink
12-02-11, 16:30
If you would you're in luck since the effective ban on horse meat has been lifted.

I have had it. Not to my liking, but I have eaten worse (I thought alligator was worse myself) and would eat it again if it was served. Dogs, cats, horses, throw 'em all in the pot! :D