PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Hardcase: Strength as it relates to color?

CQC.45
11-27-11, 12:04
I need a hardcase for my AR as I will be doing some traveling (flying) over the holidays. I have a pretty simple question to those who might know: I am aware that certain colors of plastics and kydex are inherently stronger than others. Would this prove true for the Pelican cases as well? If so, it would seem logical to get the black one vs. the tan one, etc.

Thanks.

TehLlama
11-28-11, 01:27
Our 30+ pelican cases in our platoon of various colors have worn about the same - the older plastics break more than the modern ones in any color. Not to say they break much despite our most severe abuse, they're still rugged as all hell.

I've beaten the hell out of my personal Tan ones, as well as Black ones, and can't notice a difference.

I'd recommend the black simply because it doesn't scream 'Rifle Inside' quite as loudly, especially if you put some random music or hiking stickers on it.

pmarc
11-28-11, 05:32
I am aware that certain colors of plastics and kydex are inherently stronger than others. Would this prove true for the Pelican cases as well? If so, it would seem logical to get the black one vs. the tan one, etc.

Not sure with regards to Pelican, but for other polymers, the black dye has superior UV resistance.

I don't believe that UV (light) exposure is a significant factor for gun hardcases, but might be for other equipment.

jmoney
12-06-11, 20:15
yeah, I don't think you will have issues with UV either. I have a black one and a Tan one. The tan one still looks brand new, while I can see the wear and tear on the black one. If you are going with a Pelican, I really don't think you are going to have an issues those things are built pretty well.

mkmckinley
12-06-11, 20:21
I'd recommend the black simply because it doesn't scream 'Rifle Inside' quite as loudly, especially if you put some random music or hiking stickers on it.

That's a great tip.

Devildog1988
02-12-12, 12:13
I have never noticed a difference, Ive kicked them out of 7 ton trucks, used them as a table, chair, tied them down with cargo straps. I think youre safe and shouldnt worry about it.