PDA

View Full Version : Upper Advice

Jeffy
11-30-07, 16:45
First time posting on this forum, too.

I'm in the process of building my first AR. So far I have a CMMG lower with RRA LPK, RRA 2-Stage Trigger and a KNS pin set. The plan is to get a Mil-spec Magpul CTR stock and replace the RRA grip with a MIAD.

Now I've been flip flopping on the upper. At first I was going to go with a CMMG 14.5" SOCOM with a Fixed Vortex. But then there's all of the complications I may or may not have with the carbine gas system, that sorta threw me off. I was thinking about a 14.5" Middy but then figured I'd go with a 16" like everyone else.

Been looking around and I think I've settled on a Sabre Defence 16" SS fluted Middy. PKF (http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_item.aspx?id=943&action=display) has one in their custom builds. I'd upgrade and get the SD Upper as well. They don't mention shat kind of gas block they're using other then a low profile since it has a 10" Troy. The other thing they only have a choice of a RRA BCG. I'd imagine a SDI would be better but since it's a middy, the RRA shouldn't be an issue. Am I correct thinking this? From what I've been reading I don't need a fancy LMT Enhanced bolt or anything like that with a Middy.

Anything wrong with the upper? I'm trying to keep it around $800 or less.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/images/item_images/item_943_1_lg.jpg

Jeffy
12-02-07, 12:42
55 views and no one with anything to add? :confused:

docsherm
12-02-07, 13:36
That is a great upper that PK Firearms make. They you Troy lo pro gas blocks on their builds. You are correct that you don't need a upgraded bolt with a middy. The Rock River bolt is OK for that. I think I answered your questions.

Jeffy
12-02-07, 13:46
That is a great upper that PK Firearms make. They you Troy lo pro gas blocks on their builds. You are correct that you don't need a upgraded bolt with a middy. The Rock River bolt is OK for that. I think I answered your questions.

Thanks for your help.

Do you think I'd be better off with a different BCG though? I was thinking about saving the $105 and getting maybe a Y/M. Would there be any difference between the two? Is it worth it to get a different bolt? I've been reading that the M16 bolts are better then the AR15's.

I'm also wondering about getting a DD 10" instead of the Troy. Good/bad?

docsherm
12-02-07, 14:57
I like the heaver bolt that the M16 uses. It seams to be a good combo with the Mid length gas system. Are you talking about the Young Manufacturing Chrome M-16 Bolt Carrier Assembly? If so that it is a heaver bolt and it is also chrome, which will make it easier to clean and have a longer life span. Is it worth the money?? I say the time you will save cleaning it it is worth the extra $60.

Jeffy
12-02-07, 15:13
I like the heaver bolt that the M16 uses. It seams to be a good combo with the Mid length gas system. Are you talking about the Young Manufacturing Chrome M-16 Bolt Carrier Assembly? If so that it is a heaver bolt and it is also chrome, which will make it easier to clean and have a longer life span. Is it worth the money?? I say the time you will save cleaning it it is worth the extra $60.

OK, good, that's the one I was thinking about.