PDA

View Full Version : My Son's first deer

Watrdawg
11-28-11, 08:01
This past Friday my son and I went Duck hunting in the morning and deer hunting that afternoon. We shot 8 ducks, a mix of Woodies, Mallards and Teal. That afternoon we went deer hunting. We got into an elevated box blind around 1:30. There is a deer feeder about 80 yards away down an old overgrown logging trail. 30-45 minutes after getting into the blind a small fawn comes out of the woods froim our left and goes towards the feeder. It walks past the feeder and heads off away from us into the woods on the other side of the feeder. About 30 seconds later the fawn comes back out of hte woods. She is coming from the right side of the road and is about 100 yards away. Right behind her are 2 large doe, 2 yearling doe and another large doe. 6 deer total. I told my son he could take a large doe if he wanted. Of course he did. Unfortunately none of them gave us a good broadside shot and they finally ambled off after about 10 minutes. My son was kind of bummed but also excited about seeing so many deer so quickly. 30 minutes later another deer comes out of the wood directly behind the feeder. It is about 100 yards out and is walking towards the feeder. I tell my son that this DOE is a bit small and we should let it walk. It ambles about for 10 minutes or so and my Son says he really wants to shoot this deer before it leaves. I ask him if he is really positive he wants to shoot it. He says yes so I tell him to wait until he gets the next good broadside shot. After about 5 minutes the deer turns broadside facing to the left. I ask Zach if he is line up right behind the shoulder and he says yes. I tell him to slowly squeeze the trigger just like we have practiced and take his shot. POW and the deer kicks up his hind legs and take off running away from us. After about 20 yards it stops, teeters and falls over dead. We high five in the stand and prepare to get out. He unloads his rifle and I climb down. He hands me his rifle and gets down. I give it baqck and tell him to load a round just in case it isn't dead. As he does he says "Dad my whole body is shaking"! We walk to the deer and I look for the entry wound and find it right behind the shoulder. Perfect shot! I turn it over and see the deers junk! We've shot a button buck. Not what we wanted but for my Son's first deer he's as happy as can be.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/h2odog/photo-3.jpg

KevinC
11-28-11, 09:49
Nice story. Enjoying the outdoors with your son/daughter is a invaluable tool that has been lost in today's high tech world.

Glad to hear you are instilling the outdoor tradition in your son. Good job!!!

KevinC

SeriousStudent
11-28-11, 10:39
Congrats to you both. You have built a happy, positive memory that he will tell his grandkids about.

I can recall my first hunt with my grandfather with perfect clarity, and its almost embarrassing how many decades ago that was.

And make sure he helps with the sausage making and the jerky. And not just the eating part! :)

Again, great work by both of you.

Watrdawg
11-28-11, 10:50
He tried to get out of the gutting and later on the skinning and quartering part but I made him get his hands just a bit bloody!:D
He ennded up helping me do most of the skinning. My daughter also helped. She's 11 and all tomboy. I showed them each how to cut out the back straps and let them do it. Zach did the tenderloins. We are going to turn the hams and shoulders into Breakfast Sausage and Brats. I'll let them help me with that. Haven't done Brats before and hope it will come out pretty good.

usmcvet
03-18-12, 16:29
Awesome hunting photos and story. So how did the brats turn out?

Watrdawg
03-18-12, 19:07
They came out really well. I got all the ingredients and the grinder from Gander Mountain. First time I did them and sausage myself. We grilled the brats and tenderloin along with some duck breast for a Super Bowl party we had.

Texas42
03-26-12, 13:42
Nice deer.

SkyPup
03-27-12, 14:26
Hope that you both get to share that story over and over again for many years...

usmcvet
03-28-12, 10:48
They came out really well. I got all the ingredients and the grinder from Gander Mountain. First time I did them and sausage myself. We grilled the brats and tenderloin along with some duck breast for a Super Bowl party we had.

I look forward to the day I can do that with my son and daughters.

Watrdawg
03-28-12, 11:01
The best part was as my son got out of the stand and we started walking to the deer he said "Dad my whole body is shaking" I told him to never forget that feeling and gave him a hug and a high five.

I booked a trip for the both of us to go to Alberta for his 16th birthday. We are going to the same place where I shot the deer in my avatar. We both are excited to go. He has a couple of years to wait. We are booked for 2nd week of November 2014.

Watrdawg
03-28-12, 11:44
I look forward to the day I can do that with my son and daughters.

I still haven't been able to get my daughter her deer yet and hopefully next year we can do that.

One benefit that I didn't even think about is that when we are out there in our stand it's just us and nothing else to do but talk to each other while passing the time. We get to talk about things that we normally wouldn't during the week or at home. You have the chance to get deep into your conversations and we all pay better attention to each other while doing so.

usmcvet
03-28-12, 12:48
That is priceless!

hyper45
04-30-12, 18:59
nice deer he looks very happy

elora12
05-04-12, 02:25
Really he is very cute and looks very happy as this is his first deer. Best wishes to him

Evil Colt 6920
05-04-12, 02:44
AWESOME! My first deer was also a button buck not much bigger than that one. Brings back memories.

krisjon
05-04-12, 08:48
I remember my first deer and just about shitting Twinkies before I pulled the trigger. Good stuff. Enjoy those memories. But next time, make him drag and empty a warm, full gut bucket. That's another thing he won't forget. 8)

buckshot1220
05-04-12, 21:57
My first deer was a button buck that we thought was a doe as well! Great memories.

Good for your son and good on you for starting to stress the importance of proper game management and the size of deer you are taking.