PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get into hunting?

Eurodriver
11-28-11, 09:50
I grew up in suburbia and never had any family down here that hunted. I have some in PA that have many deer heads on the wall but I was never able to get up there in winter because frankly...we were terrified of the snow. :big_boss:

Now that I'm an adult, I'd like to go out and get some meat for my freezer but I don't know the first place to start. I've already taken a Florida hunter's education class, I'm not an obnoxious idiot, I can shoot, prior .mil...basically I won't cause any problems and have all the requirements out of the way aside from buying a hunting license/WMA permit.

Anyway...whats the best way to get started? Assume I'll be going solo or with someone else that is new to hunting, most of my buddies, even the gun guys, hate the outdoors. My 338LM friend doesn't even like outdoor ranges (I know.)

I'm mainly looking at deer and hogs, but next year I'd like to take a trip out west and get something bigger.

C4IGrant
11-28-11, 09:54
You could try a local hunt club and see if they are taking new members or find a family member (or friend of the family) that is into it.

C4

Stangman
11-28-11, 10:05
Euro, I was in the same boat as you. I ended up just going out & doing it this year. I have read up a ton on different styles & tactics on how to hunt in different temps & weather conditions etc, but I'm just learning on the fly with it. This is typical for me though with the way I grew up, if I wanted to do something I taught myself. Field dressing the first time is going to be interesting for sure :D

SteyrAUG
11-28-11, 12:20
Anyway...whats the best way to get started? Assume I'll be going solo or with someone else that is new to hunting, most of my buddies, even the gun guys, hate the outdoors. My 338LM friend doesn't even like outdoor ranges (I know.)

I'm mainly looking at deer and hogs, but next year I'd like to take a trip out west and get something bigger.

In nearly every location there are very qualified hunters trying to earn beer money as guides and outfitters. The tips and tidbits you can learn from these guys (the kind of stuff that rarely makes it into books) are easily worth the money spent.

Roll out there with a BTDT guy a few times and you will be able to skip several grades in your hunter education.

Eurodriver
11-28-11, 13:01
In nearly every location there are very qualified hunters trying to earn beer money as guides and outfitters. The tips and tidbits you can learn from these guys (the kind of stuff that rarely makes it into books) are easily worth the money spent.

Roll out there with a BTDT guy a few times and you will be able to skip several grades in your hunter education.

I like this. But where do I find them? :dirol:

SteyrAUG
11-28-11, 13:07
I like this. But where do I find them? :dirol:

Once you decide what you want to hunt and where start looking for advertised guides/outfitters for that area. You can probably find local message board forums dedicated to the same where members can get you hooked up with the right people. Might even be able to call local gun stores that carry a lot of hunting gear and get a referral.

It's really not hard to find people who are willing to get paid to take you hunting.

pmarc
11-28-11, 13:08
Have you been to longrange hunting forums?
It might be more appropriate since you already mentioned a 338.

SteyrAUG
11-28-11, 14:13
Have you been to longrange hunting forums?
It might be more appropriate since you already mentioned a 338.

Nuge Forums might be useful too.

yellowfin
11-28-11, 14:23
Easiest and best way to get into hogs (and coyotes) is to find a local farmer with a problem with them. They'll tell ya where and when they can be found.

ArRazorback
11-28-11, 14:38
Getting in touch with the state's local game and fish office could be helpful. It seems that public ed and outreach from these agencies is becoming more popular in several states.

Also look into local chapters for groups like Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, National Wild Turkey Federation, or Buckmasters. Even if the guys associated with those groups can't help with what your considering getting into, they are likely to know someone who can.

Raven Armament
11-28-11, 14:46
I suggest hog hunting to start. Target rich and most states have liberal seasons and bag limits. California, Texas, and Florida have the largest populations of feral hogs in the country. Since you're in Florida, start there.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates

Scroll down quite a ways and it states no closed season (year round hunting) and no bag limits. Hunt when you want and take as many as you want.

Wild hog
Statewide
Year-round by all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, crossbows, bows and pistols. Hunting license not required on private property. Wild hogs also may be trapped but cannot be transported alive without permit from the Florida Dept. of Agriculture at 850-410-0900. (D)
Bag Limit: No Limits

If you hunt hogs on private land, no license required. Don't know if baiting is legal there. That's one of the common methods of hog hunting.

mtdawg169
11-28-11, 14:52
If you're just getting started and don't have access to private land, try out the public hunting areas in your neck of the woods. Competition will be high & the game will be reclusive due to high hunter pressure, but its better than not hunting at all. You're best bet is to befriend some like minded hunters. If you decide to go the public land route, be patient and prepared to invest some time scouting & picking out stand sites. Above all, get off the beaten path & into thick cover, that's where the deer will be when hunters start hitting the woods. Becoming a successful hunter will take years and your failures will be your greatest learning experiences. Its worth every minute though, nothing in my life provides the same sense of self satisfaction & accomplishment. I don't measure my success by numbers of animals taken, but by the memories made & experiences shared. My trips into the woods are how I recharge my batteries every year.

Japeatr
11-28-11, 14:59
best way, is to find friends or colleagues that hunt.

if that isnt an option, public land is great

in texas there are over 1mil acres open for public hunting for various game.

i shoot a number of hogs each year, when the freezer is full i donate the rest.

I usually take 2 deer a year, now that i bowhunt exclusivly (for whitetail, everything else i still rifle hunt) it may be less but the enjoyment of my hunt will be greater.

I hunt with an AR too, RRA LAR-8 in .308 with Nikon scope. Great round here in texas!

Watrdawg
11-29-11, 07:30
One of the easiest types of game to start with are birds. Dove, quail, etc. dove hunting is about the easiest. If your state has a dove season all you need is a shotgun, shells and some type of seat to sit on out in the fields. Other types of upland game are easy if you go to a game preserve. You can hunt with a guide and have the opportunity to shoot 10-12 birds for about $150 to $200. This can be all quail or for a bit more money a mix of quail and pheasant or chukar. There are even Waterfowl preserves you can do the same thing for a bit more costs.

Hunting with a guide may be expensive at first but you can pick their brains and see what they are doing and learn a lot quickly. Public land is a great place to start hunting. Many state wildlife agencies will be able to help you out and direct you where to go. Most states have designated Game Lands/Wild Life Management areas set aside for specific types of game. Some of them are permit only to keep the hunting pressure down and help the agency manage the area for specific game densities. These are great areas to start also. I regularly apply for permits for specific areas for waterfowl and turkey hunting and have been fairly successful in drawing those permits. Definitely contact your states Wildlife Management Agency to search for such opportunities.

ST911
11-29-11, 08:44
Contact your local wildlife/fish/game regulatory office and ask about outdoor education opportunities. Watch for seminars and community ed sessions elsewhere as well.

Eurodriver
11-29-11, 13:06
I went to a local outdoor shop today, talked to some guys and got a Florida Hunter Education 2011-2012 book.

Now I'm even more confused.

Lets assume I already have a state-wide hunting license for the year.

It appears that everywhere requires a WMA and/or quota permit, even on public land. I can't even find somewhere that does not require a permit of some sort.

I just want to start off with small game or hogs. I'm sure all the deer permits are already up for the year. Small game season starts January 9th in my AO and I'd like to get out there and try it but damn, reading the rules is about as confusing as getting into firearms for the first time.

mtdawg169
11-29-11, 13:38
I went to a local outdoor shop today, talked to some guys and got a Florida Hunter Education 2011-2012 book.

Now I'm even more confused.

Lets assume I already have a state-wide hunting license for the year.

It appears that everywhere requires a WMA and/or quota permit, even on public land. I can't even find somewhere that does not require a permit of some sort.

I just want to start off with small game or hogs. I'm sure all the deer permits are already up for the year. Small game season starts January 9th in my AO and I'd like to get out there and try it but damn, reading the rules is about as confusing as getting into firearms for the first time.

Georgia requires you to pay an extra fee to hunt on WMAs ($19 in GA). It's a one time fee per season. Some management areas are sign in / non quota hunts that you can hunt any time during the season. Others are quota hunts that you have to apply for before the season opens. You probably have to pay for a wma permit to hunt public land. Consider it a usage fee. Call up your local shop and see if they can help make sense of it for you or call up your State wildlife resources division. It's probably not too late to get in some deer hunting.

J-Dub
11-29-11, 15:03
If i were in your shoes i would go with the public route.

Since you havent hunted before you should be focused on one thing, hunting. Not a trophy, just the basics. You need to spend some time in the woods. If you have a .22lr or shotgun i would suggest squirrels and or rabbits first, since its an inexspensive way just to get out in the woods hunting. Once you're out there you will start to observe the habits of most game animals (esp. deer). I second the dove hunting idea, i LOVE dove hunting. Once you get out there and start learning, everything else will take care of its self (reading some books wouldnt hurt either)

SO...Go to your states game and fish website and figure out where all the public hunting lands are, and start making plans.

The last thing i will say is KEEP IT SIMPLE. You dont know if you'll even like hunting for sure yet, so dont go blow a ton of cash on shit you dont need....like scent free b.s., camo, and other gadgets.

Brimstone
11-29-11, 15:25
Thanks for bringing up this subject. I am in a similar boat myself. I grew up and hunted in South Carolina, but since moving to Utah a few years ago I haven't been deer hunting. This has been mostly due to not knowing where to start. I have been fine with taking a break for a few years, but now my oldest boy is turning ten and he is dead set on me taking him deer hunting. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get my shit together and get out there.

J-Dub
11-29-11, 18:11
Thanks for bringing up this subject. I am in a similar boat myself. I grew up and hunted in South Carolina, but since moving to Utah a few years ago I haven't been deer hunting. This has been mostly due to not knowing where to start. I have been fine with taking a break for a few years, but now my oldest boy is turning ten and he is dead set on me taking him deer hunting. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get my shit together and get out there.

You're sitting on a gold mine and dont even know it.....Chukar hunting. Number 1 on my "have to hunt list"

Brimstone
11-29-11, 18:22
You're sitting on a gold mine and dont even know it.....Chukar hunting. Number 1 on my "have to hunt list"

You have peaked my interest! I am researching it now.