PDA

View Full Version : .....

charmcitycop
11-28-11, 17:50

xrayoneone
11-28-11, 18:53
Best info you're going to get.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/pdfs/CMP_Carbine_Notes_2007.pdf

Otherwise Remington and Winchester will probably be your best bet but generally double the price of other ammo. I haven't had any problems with Prvi or Aguila. I have taken to reloading all of my Carbine ammo as I get better ballistics and it puts an end to hunting for loaded ammo at stores. I have also shot 100 rounds of Wolf through my Carbines and it was as accurate as anything else though dirty, I only had it as it was the only 30 Carbine I could find during the last election.

obucina
11-28-11, 19:06
Wal Mart usually has Winchester white box .30 Carbine in stock...I havent checked the price lately, but I highly doubt its THAT popular amongst its usual consumer suspects.

durus5995
11-29-11, 06:47
Well did you at least save the brass? The cost of 30 Carbine ammo was one of the main reasons I got into reloading.

D Golden
11-29-11, 08:01
I have tried Wolf & Tula, In my opinion the Tula was a bit cleaner to use and seemed to cycle the weapon better. It`s usually $259.00 @1000 rds. While i do enjoy reloading, it `s a lot easier to just get a case of this.

BullittBoy
11-29-11, 13:05
I have stayed away from the steel cased for two reasons-one I have seen and heard it is hard on the extractor and if it breaks you have to buy a bolt dis-assembly tool to repair it. Second it is not as accurate nor as powerful as brass cased and may cause malfunctions.

Now to brass cased-I have shot all of it in my Inland 1944 and I can tell you the Winchester white box is very accurate and powerful with the PMC and Privi Partisan a very close second place. Remington, Federal and Seller and Bellot were not as accurate in my gun and S&B caused some malfunctions.
The Privi has a bonus of being available in soft point for $20 a 50 round box-this is the best price I have EVER seen for a 50 round box of Carbine soft points.
The absolute WORST ammo ever is the Aguila from CMP and assorted places, it was weak and the DIRTIEST ammo in any caliber I have ever fired. I shot 100 rounds of it and cleaned my Carbine and it looked like I fired a thousand rounds through it-absolutely nasty.
I sold off the rest I had and bought Winchester now that it is available again.
Buy up-as they only run M1 Carbine ammo from the "big three" every once in awhile. It has been over three years since I saw Winchester.

xrayoneone
11-29-11, 19:37
I have stayed away from the steel cased for two reasons-one I have seen and heard it is hard on the extractor and if it breaks you have to buy a bolt dis-assembly tool to repair it. Second it is not as accurate nor as powerful as brass cased and may cause malfunctions.

Anyone that has a Carbine should purchase this tool anyway. They are fairly inexpensive and there is no vodoo involved in stripping a bolt. In fact, the bolt should be stripped when one purchases a Carbine to clean out all of the cosmoline, carbon, and all of the 60+ year crap that would accumulate in it. This will also familiarize the user on how to replace the extractor, firing pin, ejector when they become worn or broken.

As far as the steel cased ammo breaking parts I have to wonder how many of those parts were on the way out to begin with. I've replaced extractors after shooting U.S. made surplus and new ammo. Nothing against the gun or the ammo, I would assume years of use were the cullprit. If I ever take my Carbine to a class I'm going to use steel cased ammo because I hate loosing my brass as much as I hate looking for it. I have plenty of spare parts but I doubt I'll need them as I've found the M1 to be a tough little gun.

glocktogo
11-29-11, 23:50
Best info you're going to get.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/pdfs/CMP_Carbine_Notes_2007.pdf

Otherwise Remington and Winchester will probably be your best bet but generally double the price of other ammo. I haven't had any problems with Prvi or Aguila. I have taken to reloading all of my Carbine ammo as I get better ballistics and it puts an end to hunting for loaded ammo at stores. I have also shot 100 rounds of Wolf through my Carbines and it was as accurate as anything else though dirty, I only had it as it was the only 30 Carbine I could find during the last election.

This. .30 Carbine is one of the most cost effective rounds to reload. The cost of components is very cheap compared to what the loaded ammo costs. I set my Dillon 550 up for it and never looked back.

P.S., as someone who replaced ALL the springs in my Inland with a Wolff kit from Brownell's, get the bolt disassembly tool. I managed to do my bolt without one and it was the single worst nightmare I've ever encountered in reassembling a firearm!

m4fun
11-30-11, 01:49
I managed to do my bolt without one and it was the single worst nightmare I've ever encountered in reassembling a firearm!

I had a new production KAHR Arms M1 go down with a broken extractor - I was using Wolf. And must say, I am a big reloader, but choose Wolf as a training round with much success in 5.56.

Getting the tool is a wise choice!

Tim McBride
11-30-11, 10:22
For blasting fun the Wolf/Tula is fine. It runs very well in my M2.

dpaqu
11-30-11, 15:55
For blasting fun the Wolf/Tula is fine. It runs very well in my M2.

I want pics of that M2!!

I bought some from CMP when it was around 25cents a round. Recently AIM had the same Aguila stuff for 30 cents a round and I bought a thousand rounds. I love shooting that thing at steel plates. Big fun.

Tim McBride
11-30-11, 18:50
I want pics of that M2!!

Doesn't look much different then the semi version.
The biggest problem I have is with magazines, I have the best luck with the GI ones but some of them are really beat up.

I have also tried the S&B stuff, it is ok.

xrayoneone
11-30-11, 18:56
Tim

Have you tried the KCI magazines? I've had pretty good luck with them though I don't have an M2 and I've only shot a few hundred rounds with them. So far they are the only after market magazines I've found really worth anything.

Tim McBride
11-30-11, 19:35
Tim

Have you tried the KCI magazines? I've had pretty good luck with them though I don't have an M2 and I've only shot a few hundred rounds with them. So far they are the only after market magazines I've found really worth anything.

I have not, I am going to be looking at SAR on Friday for stuff, so I'll see if I can find one to try.

durus5995
12-01-11, 04:59
P.S., as someone who replaced ALL the springs in my Inland with a Wolff kit from Brownell's, get the bolt disassembly tool. I managed to do my bolt without one and it was the single worst nightmare I've ever encountered in reassembling a firearm!

If you think that is bad do not try taking the trigger group apart. Damn hammer plunger:suicide2:

bullseye
12-01-11, 10:07
i got 6 each of the 15 and 30 rd KCI mags, and they run fine. both will do a mag dump from my M2, no problems. i believe they are now offering bolt-stop feature on the new 15 rd mags. i found some 30 rd followers and installed them in my inland G.I. 15 rd mags,, this will be a good deal,,, factory installed.

dpaqu
12-06-11, 01:21
I just noticed that the aguila is on sgammo for 279/1000rnds

Shabazz
12-06-11, 11:19
Recently shot up the last of my stash of .30 Carbine ammo.
Most of it was GI surplus or older WWB my grandfather had bought.
What is the go to brand as far as new ammo?
I see Winchester is still making it.
How about American Eagle (Federal) or Privi Partizan?

Everyone's thoughts and experiences would be welcome.

My personal experience is that WWII GI 30 carb ammo is 100 percent reliable, but nothing else has achieved the same level of performance. In particular, I have had trouble with soft nose bullets from Federal, and would prefer to buy WWII surplus when available instead of new FMJ. This is my persona opinion.

DBR
12-07-11, 17:42
I have owned several CMP M1 Carbines over the past few years. One thing I noticed, if the rifle has been rearsenaled the feed ramp gets phosphated. It is supposed to be polished. I had to polish all of mine and I have had no feed issues with Remington or Federal SP ammo.

dpaqu
12-08-11, 04:13
My personal experience is that WWII GI 30 carb ammo is 100 percent reliable, but nothing else has achieved the same level of performance. In particular, I have had trouble with soft nose bullets from Federal, and would prefer to buy WWII surplus when available instead of new FMJ. This is my persona opinion.

I'm guessing you mean FMJ ammo and not collectible WWII stuff.

Gallo Pazzesco
12-13-11, 22:24
Well did you at least save the brass? The cost of 30 Carbine ammo was one of the main reasons I got into reloading.

Ditto that - plus I had a couple of thousand pieces of 30 Carbine brass and a couple two or three thousand 110 grain pulled pills I bought at a gun show two decades ago. Then I stumbled on some old chalky Remington scalloped soft nose 110 grain pills that the guy had stored in an empty Nozema jar. Paid five bucks for them. There were 350 pills in that jar.

Where did all the crazy gun show deals go.

Anyways, yeah, then I decided to get into reloading full bore. Now I'm obsessed.

Best place to get 30 Carbine, if you live down south, is Georgia Ammo at the gun shows.

lamarbrog
12-14-11, 00:06
I shoot Tula out of mine, haven't had any problems provided I use a good magazine.

Don't really care if it "isn't as powerful" or is "dirty" or even if the Tula isn't 100% reliable (it has been for me). I'm just shooting paper or garbage with it. If I do need to use my M1 Carbine for defense, which I don't really foresee, I have a bandoleer of Korean War surplus that sits patiently waiting for the day.