PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Vs. Osprey...

Jteck31
11-28-11, 20:46
I'm looking to purchase a new pack between 70 and 85 liters. I think I've narrowed it to the Osprey aether(70L or 85L) or the Gregory baltoro 75L. If anyone has experience with one or both of these packs your input would be of much help.

zk556x45
11-28-11, 22:23
You can't go wrong with either. Check out the Arcteryx Bora 80 -- I used one when I was guiding out in Colorado for four years. A little heavier than the two you're looking at, but extremely well designed and durable.

I will say that I've experienced some QC issues with Osprey gear. Not so with any Gregory packs I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-28-11, 23:25
I have an Osprey Aether 70. Its a very well constructed pack with alot of comfort features that I enjoy. I use it on my 1-3 day camping trips, and Im thinking about joining it with a HPG Kit Bag because of the lack of organizational gear. It has a heat-molded hip belt (REI can mold it for you) which is nice, but I wish the hip belt offered some sort of pockets for water. It hols nearly everything I could need, and has enough straps on the outside to attach my sleeping mat and GB Axe. Its a great pack and a good buy. Not sure what else I could say about it.

Keesh
11-29-11, 10:05
I've used the Aether 85 for the last 5 years and its still looks new. There's a few things on mine that I don't like but I believe they fixed them in the newer models. Other than that, it's been great.

Jteck31
11-29-11, 10:41
Thanks for the info. Good stuff. I've heard some say that the 85 is just too big for anything short of a week. Do you think it would be ok for shorter treks?

Belmont31R
11-29-11, 10:45
I have had a Gregory pack for about a decade now, and its been to Europe and back many times as well as all over the US. Through air ports, trains, outdoors, ect. Still in great shape, never broke anything on it, and to top it off they are made in my home town.

I would go to a store who has both, and try both on (try to simulate weight in them).

Jteck31
11-29-11, 11:03
Yup, I have taken my gear in to my local quest outdoors store and loaded both up and spent some time walking around. Really they both felt great which is my delimia. I won't truly know until mile 7 or 8 how good either really is but I don't think I'll have many problems with either one. At this point I'm just listening to some outside opinions.

Irish
11-29-11, 11:32
Just as another option the guys at Hill People Gear highly recommend the REI XT 85 on their forums, might be worth checking out. http://www.rei.com/product/795524/rei-xt-85-pack

Jteck31
11-30-11, 05:11
Yeah, I bet those are nice, unfortunately I don't have an REI anywhere close by to test it.

hatidua
12-02-11, 10:38
Don't buy the pack, buy the suspension. Wear each one around in the shop for 30 minutes loaded with as much weight as you'll be carrying and buy the one that is more comfortable.

We all have different bodies and while an Osprey may fit one person better, a Gregory will be a better fit for the next person.

Belmont31R
12-02-11, 11:04
Don't buy the pack, buy the suspension. Wear each one around in the shop for 30 minutes loaded with as much weight as you'll be carrying and buy the one that is more comfortable.

We all have different bodies and while an Osprey may fit one person better, a Gregory will be a better fit for the next person.

Thats what I did when I bought my Gregory. The salesman at REI was very knowledgeable about how to fit a pack and it ended up being the one that worked best for me. REI is a great store to buy stuff like that from, generally. They also have a great refund program if anything you buy from there breaks or doesn't work right. A friend of mine returned a year old pair of boots after the sole started coming loose.

hatidua
12-02-11, 12:30
REI is a great store to buy stuff like that from, generally. They also have a great refund program if anything you buy from there breaks or doesn't work right. A friend of mine returned a year old pair of boots after the sole started coming loose.

A year is towards the short end of what I've seen. I personally know someone who returned a six year old sleeping bag as it didn't perform to their standards anymore. REI happily took it back.

Their return policy is one of the only reasons I'm willing to pay MSRP, as you can typically find it elsewhere for less, but they won't take it back if it fails like REI will.

PrivateCitizen
12-02-11, 14:25
Zappos. Free shipping both ways, test at your leisure.

Beyond that, with loads like this you really should have it fit at a store/local that knows what they are doing.

I personally have an Osprey Aether 70 and LOVE it. I tested it against a Gregory Baltorro 75.

In the end the simplicity of the pack bag and the full panel access won me over.

At that size and weights (40#) the suspension in either is far more than capable. If you really move into the 80/85l category consider the Osprey Argon or Gregory Palisade or in the the Arcteryx Bora 80 …

But, honestly, once you get into the 80l cat and are less than 7 day outings you might really want to start re-examining your gear and its weight. Huge/bulky sleeping bags, monster tents, misc niceties etc. All are weight killers.

My pack rarely crests 40# for 4 days including food and gear.

pranneth
12-20-11, 17:55
As a backpacker that has some experience with packs of both brands, I'd recommend Osprey for everything under 60-65 L and Gregory above that capacity.

Osprey's suspension systems are nice, however, in my opinion, above the aforementioned capacity Gregory packs provide better comfort and padding - at the expense of some extra pack weight.

Jteck31
12-21-11, 12:58
Thanks, I ended up going with the baltoro 75. The osprey might have fit my torso a tiny bit better but I really perferred to have the front and side outer pockets that the wether lacked. The baltoro is awesome and easily swallows all of my gear.

Kyle Defoor
12-21-11, 14:21
I 've carried them all over the years as a military snipe and for the long range nav classes I teach for the military now.

Osprey is the best civ/light duty IMO. Their repair policy is almost unbelieveable. If you want a heavy use pack (mil use in Afghanistan for example) then Norrona is the most bomber pack on the planet.

Jteck31
12-21-11, 15:55
Yep, I carried a marine corps vector pack in Afghanistan and loved it. Found them on eBay but not lookin to carry a ten lbs pack in the civ world.

rushca01
12-21-11, 16:14
Have you looked at Mystery Ranch packs?

Jteck31
12-21-11, 17:49
Oh yeah, they looked great. I was just looking for a reliable pack for around $200-250 that would handle 35 to 40 lbs. for 3 to 4 day trips. Mystery was a little to nice for my needs. Plus Im pretty confident that the Gregory will handle well for shtf needs.

HuntingTime
12-24-11, 22:23
+1 for Osprey. I have the 65 version and it is very comfy. My only complaint is the shoulder straps being a bit tough on the neck/collarbone when running long distance. If you are just rucking it is very nice.

Ak44
12-24-11, 22:51
I've used Gregory before, great pack. Went backpacking in Yosemite with it, very comfortable. I recently got a Osprey as a gift...I plan on using it for an upcoming Montana trip. I also have a mystery ranch, also veeeeery nice. As mentioned before try it on first...it may or may not work for you.

Ironman8
12-24-11, 23:06
Anybody have experience with the Osprey Kestrel 58? Had my eye on it for a while now...

J8127
12-25-11, 00:58
I have a baltoro and it's awesome. No experience with Osprey.

Lone_Ranger
12-25-11, 16:16
If any of you are members of Promotive.com, you can get a decent discount, on Gregory packs.