PDA

View Full Version : Lasers 101

ddemis
12-01-07, 02:15
Can someone explain the difference between A red and green laser, pros and cons etc. I have zero experience with lasers and would like make a first purchase. Any info please.

John_Wayne777
12-01-07, 14:53
Can someone explain the difference between A red and green laser, pros and cons etc. I have zero experience with lasers and would like make a first purchase. Any info please.

I'm not sure what you are asking here....

Generally the laser sighting devices you are going to see on the market are going to be either a visible laser or an IR laser. The visible laser can be seen with the naked eye, while the IR laser won't be seen unless you are using some sort of night vision. By "green" laser, do you mean a green colored visible laser or an IR laser?

Are you looking to mount some sort of laser sight on a pistol or a long gun? Is this a weapon meant for home defense, concealed carry, or some sort of duty use?

Answering these questions will help our experienced posters to give you relevant info for your needs. It wouldn't do you any good, for instance, for me to talk about how good the DBAL is when you are thinking of mounting a laser on a concealed carry handgun....

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-01-07, 20:28
red lasers can be seen at night , and are difficult to see in sunlight . the green laser i have can be seen in bright sunlight both to the naked eye as well as with a scope , at night its even better with visibility out to whatever you desire . you can also see the beam . in a dark room its so bright you dont need a flashlight . just remember , they're like tracers - they work both ways . i have the aimshot .

ddemis
12-01-07, 20:50
I want to mount a laser/ light combo on my RRa m-4 rifle. I was leaning twoard a Insight technologies model but it only comes with a red laser and it looks like green is a much better choice.Any one have experience with a set up like that and any other ideas, thanks.

John_Wayne777
12-01-07, 21:07
I want to mount a laser/ light combo on my RRa m-4 rifle. I was leaning twoard a Insight technologies model but it only comes with a red laser and it looks like green is a much better choice.Any one have experience with a set up like that and any other ideas, thanks.

If you want a carbine mounted light/laser combo your best bet might be the Surefire X200L (or whatever model they are going to call that when it comes out finally) that is supposed to be out soon.....

EDIT -- Do you already have an Aimpoint on your carbine?

ddemis
12-01-07, 21:13
Right now I have a Burris extreme tactical speed dot in a Arms mount. I hope to upgrade To a Micro T-1 very soon.

John_Wayne777
12-01-07, 21:22
Right now I have a Burris extreme tactical speed dot in a Arms mount. I hope to upgrade To a Micro T-1 very soon.

That's good.....

Personally I would skip the laser altogether and stick to using the Aimpoint (in a LaRue mount, by the way...). Generally the Aimpoint will get the job done for you unless you can't get a cheek weld on the rifle...either due to wearing helmet mounted night vision or something like a HAZMAT suit.

In those cases a system like the DBAL is what you want.

EDIT -- If money is an object (and it usually is for me....) you don't have to buy the latest and greatest Aimpoint sights. The Micro is an awesome piece of gear, but a CompC will work too, as long as you don't dive with it or something...

ddemis
12-01-07, 21:28
Thanks for the info. So you think Larue makes a better mount than Arms. I know several guys who used them in Irag with Aimpoints and they swear by them.

John_Wayne777
12-01-07, 21:36
Thanks for the info. So you think Larue makes a better mount than Arms. I know several guys who used them in Irag with Aimpoints and they swear by them.

Yes, LaRue mounts are better than ARMS mounts.

I have yet to see a LaRue mount spontaneously fall off of a weapon, even if it is "unlocked". I can't say the same thing for the ARMS mounts. As an example, my weapon light is mounted to my rail system using an ARMS throw lever...and in the recent low light class the damn thing FELL OFF my weapon in the middle of a drill.

It's not the first time I've seen one work loose.

ddemis
12-01-07, 21:57
Thanks alot, I will check out Larue's site tonight and see what mounts they have.

SuicideHz
12-02-07, 15:01
red lasers can be seen at night , and are difficult to see in sunlight . the green laser i have can be seen in bright sunlight both to the naked eye as well as with a scope , at night its even better with visibility out to whatever you desire . you can also see the beam . in a dark room its so bright you dont need a flashlight . just remember , they're like tracers - they work both ways . i have the aimshot .

You mean the actual beam of a red laser cannot be seen during the day and green can.

Just clarifying.

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-02-07, 16:26
from my experience , the beam is not visible and the red dot from the laser is hard to pick up in sunlight . the green laser is visible ( green dot ) in the sunlight - but not the actual beam unless using it in smoky or foggy conditions .