PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92FS question

platoonDaddy
11-29-11, 14:46
Is the 92FS manufactured in Italy and the USA and what are the differences?

Looking at Buds Gun web page, they have some of the 92FS labeled Italy i.e. Beretta 92FS 9mm 15RD BL *ITALY* and some without the "Italy" designator.

TOrrock
11-29-11, 15:23
Is the 92FS manufactured in Italy and the USA and what are the differences?

Looking at Buds Gun web page, they have some of the 92FS labeled Italy i.e. Beretta 92FS 9mm 15RD BL *ITALY* and some without the "Italy" designator.

They're manufactured both places.

The Italian made ones I've seen tend to have better finish.

GrandPooba
11-29-11, 16:57
mostly in what's stamped on the slide. Some people report that the Italian ones have better finishing. I have personally compared new Italian and US made ones and could not see a difference.

another minor difference (I can't tell you for sure if it applies to the entire population of 92s or not) is that my Italian made 92FS has a spring pin in the grip that you must punch out in order to remove the mainspring. The US made ones apparently have a much simpler pin that you can just slide out by applying pressure up on the lanyard loop. Makes replacing the stock mainspring for a 'D' mainspring must easier.

Cobra66
11-30-11, 00:11
For all intents, the guns are the same. Some people put a higher "collectability" on the Italian guns, but there is really no evidence to say one is better than the other. The recent mega-contract from the DOD for more M9s has meant that the Maryland produced guns are all ready accounted for, thus more Italian guns have been coming in as of late to satisfy the civilian market.

556A2
11-30-11, 03:13
Markings are the major difference.

Minor Differences:
* Italians are proof-marked.
* Italian barrels are fully chrome-lined to the crown.
* American barrels chrome-lining is slightly recessed at the crown.
* Americans have a solid pin to retain the mainspring, the Italians a POS roll-pin.

Fit & Finish differ with each lot. So an Italian made in 2008 may look better or worse than an American made in 2008.

FWIW, it has been mentioned several times that Accokeek has better QC compared to Italy.

Here is a video I made showing the differences (Sorry for the smacking, first video ever made with the camera & Dolby picks up small sounds without a windscreen).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCSFSYsa1M

platoonDaddy
11-30-11, 06:31
Markings are the major difference.

Minor Differences:
* Italians are proof-marked.
* Italian barrels are fully chrome-lined to the crown.
* American barrels chrome-lining is slightly recessed at the crown.
* Americans have a solid pin to retain the mainspring, the Italians a POS roll-pin.

Fit & Finish differ with each lot. So an Italian made in 2008 may look better or worse than an American made in 2008.

FWIW, it has been mentioned several times that Accokeek has better QC compared to Italy.

Here is a video I made showing the differences (Sorry for the smacking, first video ever made with the camera & Dolby picks up small sounds without a windscreen).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCSFSYsa1M

Great video, thanks for sharing.

KevinC
11-30-11, 08:54
556A2 pretty much hit the nail on the head. Good info.

I had a Italy made 92FS that I purchased in 1991. It was the most accurate out of the box pistol I had ever owned. finish on it was excellent.

KevinC

ShipWreck
11-30-11, 16:00
Solution to the whole problem - buy some of each :D

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/newberettawheel1.jpg

warpedcamshaft
11-30-11, 16:15
That is a beautiful assortment of Berettas.

xcibes
12-02-11, 06:16
Nice colelction! I do not understand the straight duzst cover note. The 92FS and the 92FS straight dust cover look the same to me. can anyone explain the difference. What am I missing?

Outlaw621
12-02-11, 08:21
Nice colelction! I do not understand the straight duzst cover note. The 92FS and the 92FS straight dust cover look the same to me. can anyone explain the difference. What am I missing?

The 92FS has a slightly angled dust cover while the 92FS straight dust cover is closer to the M9.

mkmckinley
12-02-11, 08:45
I've had both USA and Italian versions and didn't notice a huge difference. I bought them well used and with brand new guns any difference in finishes might have been more noticeable. The only type of 92FS I would bother looking for specifically would be one of the police special ones that came with night sights front and rear. You might ask Bud's if they have any like that. I got lucky and got one from CDNN when me and a few buddies did a group buy.

Slater
12-02-11, 13:51
Not to digress too far from the subject, but does anyone know which parts of the M9/92 series are MIM? I know Beretta uses polymer (and polymer coated metal) parts, but I wasn't sure about any MIM components.

Reagans Rascals
12-02-11, 13:58
its made in both, I have a US made version and the guide rod is plastic, but it's really not a concern

556A2
12-02-11, 22:19
Not to digress too far from the subject, but does anyone know which parts of the M9/92 series are MIM? I know Beretta uses polymer (and polymer coated metal) parts, but I wasn't sure about any MIM components.

According to Beretta.... none.

All metal parts are punched out of steel or machined out of billets (steel or alloy).

ShipWreck
12-03-11, 15:48

Here is a pic (below) - all 92's used to have the straight dustcover. But, they changed the frame to make it stronger - so they could use the same frame for the 92 and 96 models... The curved dustcover makes the frame stronger...

However, the M9 still has the same older style frame. But, this year, the USA plant made a batch of new 92FS models with M9 frames. I picked it up "just because." I've always wanted an M9, but I prefer 3 dot sights to the 2 dots on the M9. This was a way to get what is essentially a 3 dot M9...

Anyway, see here:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92FS.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/M9.jpg

John Fritz
12-04-11, 08:53
556A2, good video. Aren't there some differences with the Italian and the US made Inox models? I've only seen pictures of the stateside Inox but they look like they have black triggers, decockers, slide catch and slide release controls. Mine (Italian) has all silver.

556A2
12-04-11, 14:12
556A2, good video. Aren't there some differences with the Italian and the US made Inox models? I've only seen pictures of the stateside Inox but they look like they have black triggers, decockers, slide catch and slide release controls. Mine (Italian) has all silver.

That is just a time period difference.

Black controls just means that Beretta has made to switch to polymer-coated metal parts. Both American and Italians now have them. Some guys hate them, but I've found they work great as polymer is durable and the finish won't wear. Though they do look strange on INOX models.

ShipWreck
12-05-11, 11:57
Yea, I don't worry too much about the polymer parts. The mag release is one example. 1 less part to worry about rusting if you carry it daily IWB (like I do). I actually changed to a metal one on my carry gun, but after a while, I changed it back to the polymer one. I've seen some complain that this was a common part that eventually rusted if you carried the gun a lot...

John Fritz
12-05-11, 20:00
Interesting, I didn't realize that was why these components were black. I thought it was just unplated metal like the black controls you see on a lot of Smith 3rd generations.

Another surprise was the bevel/straight frames. Now just looking at the two I would think that the one with the square edges was the beefier frame. Who knew? Not me... ;)

And as I said, I have never seen an Inox with the black controls but I think they look pretty good in the pics.

Reagans Rascals
12-05-11, 20:11
Beretta is the oldest industrial dynasty in the world... something around 500 years I believe... so rest assured you're in good hands