PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to carry an OTF/double edge knife as a LEO?

theoak
11-29-11, 15:39
I was going to purchase a Benchmade Infidel (double edge), however I wanted to know if it's legal for me to carry as a law enforcement officer?

TOrrock
11-29-11, 16:08
That's going to depend on your local laws and departmental regs.

Failure2Stop
11-29-11, 16:49
I was going to purchase a Benchmade Infidel (double edge), however I wanted to know if it's legal for me to carry as a law enforcement officer?

I gotta wonder, who the f**k is goin to hit you on it?

FWIW- I know that department regs will play the biggest role, and sometimes if it is ok, it's only ok when on duty. Just what has been told to me by cop buddies.

TACAV
11-29-11, 17:58

FWIW- I know that department regs will play the biggest role, and sometimes if it is ok, it's only ok when on duty. Just what has been told to me by cop buddies.

1. Some states that have regulations on what constitutes a "pen knife" (pocket knife) vs a regulated dangerous weapon. Some don't. Also some states laws may outlaw some knives with certain features such as blade length or how its opened etc, but they will put in a written an exception in for military and law enforcement during the performance of their duties etc.

2. No matter if the state laws allow you carry a certain type of knife, your departments policies will trump them so know that first.
As your supervisor or your defensive tactics experts in your department as they should probably know.

Where I work, knives are not considered "weapons" and are considered tools however we also have a stipulation in our policy where if the situation was exigent enough we could use our knives or anything else for that matter (a brick) to defend our selves if we had nothing else. As long as the use of force was reasonable and justified just as anything else.

Gramps
11-29-11, 18:39

If you ARE a "Law Enforcement Officer", and don't know the "Law", then how are you going to enforce it on others?

EzGoingKev
11-29-11, 19:20

The lawyer that represents whoever is suing him once he has to use it.

theoak
11-29-11, 20:37
How would I enforce the law? I would make an arrest if the statutes applied.

I just wanted to hear from other LEOs about their department policy.

As far as the law in my state, I'm covered:

KNIVES DEFINED AS DANGEROUS WEAPONS
By: Veronica Rose, Principal Analyst

You want to know what knives are illegal in Connecticut and what knives cannot be bought on line from an out-of-state vendor and brought into the state.

State law defines certain knives as dangerous weapons and, with minor exceptions, makes it illegal to carry them. The knives defined as dangerous weapons are (1) dirk knives, (2) switch knives, (3) stilettos, (4) any knife that has an automatic spring release device that releases a blade from the handle longer than one and one-half inches, and (5) any knife that has a blade with an edged portion four inches or longer. The penalty for a violation is a fine of up to $500, imprisonment for up to three years, or both (CGS § 53-206(a)).

The only people who can legally carry the knives listed as dangerous weapons are:

1. peace officers pursuing their official duties;
2. members of military organizations when on parade or when going to or coming from a place of assembly;
3. anyone transporting them as merchandise or for display at an authorized knife show;
4. anyone transporting them concealed while lawfully removing their household effects from one place or residence to another;
5. anyone transporting them for repairs;
6. hunting, fishing, or trapping licensees carrying them for lawful hunting, fishing, or trapping; and
7. anyone participating in an authorized historic reenactment.

Also, servicemen, including guardsmen and reservists, may, while on, or going to and from duty, carry the knife that has a blade with an edged portion four inches or longer (CGS § 53-206(b)).

The law does not address possession. Similarly, it does not address knife sales or purchases. In the absence of such legislation, it appears that (1) mere possession of any of the listed knives is not illegal, and (2) a buyer may buy any knife on-line or through the mail order. But if the knife meets the standards identified above, only the people enumerated above can carry it in the circumstances specified.

As far as my department policy, there is nothing specific regarding switchblades or double edged knives. Most guys I work with carry a simple 3" single edge folding knife, and I know a couple who carry an OTF single edge. One guy was showing me his OTF knife when a sergeant walked by and said "what the hell is that...it's illegal...you shouldn't be carrying it". Maybe the sergeant didn't know the law, but most times people just assume OTF/double edge knives are illegal, regardless of the circumstances. As far as department training, there is none concerning the use of knives, so I'm sure a lawsuit would be inevitable if I ever had to use a knife.

ST911
11-29-11, 20:57
Where I work, knives are not considered "weapons" and are considered tools however we also have a stipulation in our policy where if the situation was exigent enough we could use our knives or anything else for that matter (a brick) to defend our selves if we had nothing else. As long as the use of force was reasonable and justified just as anything else.

"Nothing in this policy shall prevent an officer from utilizing weapons of opportunity in a response to resistance should the specified weapons herein become lost, damaged, or otherwise unavailable. However, any use of a weapon of opportunity in a response to resistance shall be objectively reasonable under the totality of the circumstances in which it is used."

Ready.Fire.Aim
11-29-11, 21:07
It just struck me that the 4" limit on blade length violates the Second Amendment.
Although we know longer think of swords, bayonets, and pikes as primary arms, when the Bill of Rights was written those were just as important (or more so) in battle than muskets.

What militiaman would go to battle against the King armed with a 4" bayonet?

Food for thought......

regards
RFA

Hitech50
11-29-11, 21:47
That's going to depend on your local laws and departmental regs.

Ageed. Just to be better safe then sorry I would check with your supervisor and maybe even your county attorney (or DA, which ever you have). No need to get jammed up with an IA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
11-30-11, 00:50
I believe that federal law exempts military, police and others from the prohibition of carrying/having such knives.

In Arizona (AFAIK) we have no restrictions on knives and there is no prohibition against carrying or using one. They are often sold in larger gun stores and gun shows here in state.

Also, our concealed permits are actually concealed weapons permits which covers "dangerous weapons" not just firearms.

Failure2Stop
11-30-11, 06:03
The lawyer that represents whoever is suing him once he has to use it.

Ha, touche.

11-30-11, 08:17
My department allows us to carry automatic and OTF knives. MO State law also has a specific exemption for Police, Firefighters, EMS, and Active Duty Military to carry Auto and OTF knives.

I either carry a Benchmade Mini Ambush or HK OTF knife on duty, every day. 90% of the time it's the Mini Ambush. It's a nice knife.

If you're a cop, I don't know who would hem you up on carrying a knife. If you have to use it to defend yourself, the guranteed lawsuit following the incident will be the least of your worries. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. You can defend yourself completely by the book, down to the letter, in a 100% justified situation, and will still be sued. It's part of the job.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-30-11, 21:54
How would I enforce the law? I would make an arrest if the statutes applied.

I just wanted to hear from other LEOs about their department policy.

Thats certainly not what you expressed in the original post...

dmaxfireman
12-01-11, 07:18
I am FD in Connecticut, from what we are told we can carry any auto knife provided we are on duty "for rescue purpose" when we may be in a situation where we will only have one hand to open the knife. When I was in Maine on vacation I was looking at some knives and was told only LEO or Military can purchase autos in the state of Maine.

seb5
12-01-11, 22:21
OP, Are you a cop or just want to be one someday? Any cop I know who didn't know if it was a violation of state law or a violation of his department policy to carry a certain type of knife should be mall cop, not a police officer.

halo2304
12-08-11, 18:37
I am FD in Connecticut, from what we are told we can carry any auto knife provided we are on duty "for rescue purpose" when we may be in a situation where we will only have one hand to open the knife. When I was in Maine on vacation I was looking at some knives and was told only LEO or Military can purchase autos in the state of Maine.

This is true. :( I've been fortunate enough to know the right people and have had the priveledge of "playing" with all sorts autos; OTF, side-openers, butterfly knives. They are fun and cool, but then the novelty wears off and you realize knives like Emerson and others open just as fast if not faster.

Food for thought about switchblades, they tend to have issues not found on manual or fixed blade knives. Springs break and dust/debris gums up the action and suddenly you're left with a broken knife in your hands. For these reasons, you might consider an Emerson waved folder for duty use.

Voodoo_Man
12-08-11, 18:40
I have an OTF infidel which I carry on-duty and off duty, pretty much all the time.

While my states law says OTF and/or double-sided knives are a no-no, LEO's are exempt.

Generalpie
12-08-11, 18:51
While auto opening knives are cool a quality spring assist will do all without the extra cost.