PDA

View Full Version : Oral I.V. - Pros, cons, uses, etc.

Irish
11-29-11, 15:53
I've seen "Oral I.V." on several people's lists of items they currently have or intend on purchasing for their BOB, prep list, etc. I'd like to know how people are currently using it, whether they're happy with the results, any downsides to the product and their thoughts in general.

I've also asked K.L. Davis, M4C Mod, to weigh in on the subject as well. I realize he works for Warrior Wound Care but believe his first hand knowledge of the product could be very beneficial to the members here on M4C.

Please discuss.

just a scout
11-29-11, 16:19
At least it should be good for dehydration and hangovers. I'd like to see more to it also.

Irish
11-29-11, 16:37
Their website, http://www.warriorwoundcare.com/OralIV/, and description.

Electrolyte and essential mineral replacement is crucial in restoring proper blood sugar levels, and is necessary for enzymatic reactions that promote correct blood volume. Without them the quality of performance during long-term or explosive short-term exercise decreases. ORAL I.V. has been formulated to provide Crystalloid Electrolytes and essential trace minerals to keep the body operating at peak performance.

•Promotes faster recovery from injury stress or strenuous exercise
•Quickly heightens concentration and alertness
•Supports neurotransmitter function in the brain
•Increases oxygen uptake at the cellular level
•Dramatically boosts energy levels and strengthens the immune system
•Raises osmotic pressure level of cells to keep them strong
•Increases body enzyme production
•Helps keep the body's homeostasis balance
•Aids in efficient removal of toxic body acids
•Enhances uptake of vitamins, macro minerals, proteins and other essential nutrients from natural food sources or dietary supplements
•Helps to reestablish healthy pH levels

Sensei
11-29-11, 16:50
The best oral hydration solution on the US market is Pedialyte. It is cheap, available at every grocery / drug store. The grape and orange flavors are reasonably palatable. I see no reason to use anything else.

Irish
11-29-11, 17:02
The best oral hydration solution on the US market is Pedialyte... I see no reason to use anything else.

Are you saying Pedialyte is superior to Oral IV? Please clarify what you're saying for the benefit of those interested in this thread. I'm interested in stocking an oral rehydration product due to living in the desert and want to find the best one for possible future needs.

Sensei
11-29-11, 18:52
I've reviewed their website and noted that is seems to be marketed as a zero calorie "sports drink." My opinion is based on their comparison chart which has listed all of the major sports drinks, but omits the two most widely used oral rehydration solutions - Pedialyte and WHO Solution (not sold in US).

Maybe I'm missing it, but they do not publish the concentrations of electrolytes which makes it impossible to determine if the solution approaches isotonic to serum (serum is about 275-300 mOsm and rehydration solutions should run a little hypotonic for GI volume loss). This is the most basic, need-to-know information that goes into choosing a rehydration solution. They also add a bunch of trace minerals that are not really pertinent to rehydration but can be supplied in a much cheaper form by taking a Flemstone Vitamin.

Another tipoff is the fact that it is zero calorie. While many sports drinks have too much sucrose or fructose (athletic caloric needs vs. GI volume loss), some sugars are needed to shutdown ketosis in severe dehydration. Pedialyte has about 1/2 the calories of Gatorade, 2X the sodium, and 5X the potassium. This is appropriate to address low level metabolism while not creating an osmotic sugar load in the intestine that will worsen diarrhea.

In other words, Oral IV sounds like the piston AR of the oral hydration world - a lot of gemick with few avenues for spare parts when the SHTF. Contrast this with Pedialyte which is the 6920 of rehydration with a proven track record and plenty of sources for resupply. Pedialyte has won the "dustcover test" of the medical world for the past 30 years - I've never seen oral IV mentioned in a single randomized control trial.

Sensei
11-29-11, 20:00
I've had a little more time to explore the product's website and my opinion has gone from seeing it as a a gemick to now considering it as using some dangerous marketing. The name "Warrior WOUND CARE" (emphasis added for effect) and "Oral IV" implies to the uneducated that it could be given to someone who has sustained a wound or significant injury. This notion is furthered by pictures of medical professionals carrying a patient on a litter and log-rolling a patient for a trauma assessment.

The truth is that no person with a serious injury (i.e. requiring a hospital) should be given ANYTHING by mouth.

Irish
11-29-11, 20:27
Thanks for your insight!

Sensei
11-29-11, 21:05
No problem. I hord bottled water, canned food, Cliff Bars, and MREs. Got enough to get me through about 3 months.

montanadave
11-29-11, 21:17
I'll second Irish's thanks. An excellent no-bullshit answer that's sure to save some folks from buyin' sizzle instead of steak. :thank_you2:

uwe1
11-29-11, 21:30
Now we have to hoard Pedialyte!

Sensei
11-29-11, 22:25
Now we have to hoard Pedialyte!

LOL, but I've had little trouble in justifying the hoarding of Pedialyte to the Mrs. since it is mainly for the baby. She is not so forgiving when it comes to ammo, ARs, and spare parts.

All kidding aside, Pedialyte (or any similar oral rehydration solution made by the competition) should be a staple for anyone with a child who is concerned about survival in austere conditions. Keep in mind that Cholera and other GI illnesses become endemic during mass disasters. These can be fatal to an infant or the elderly if you don't have the necessary rehydration solution. Using free water as a substitute is a big mistake in infants due to the risk of dilutional hyponatremia.

TehLlama
12-08-11, 04:17
I've had a little more time to explore the product's website and my opinion has gone from seeing it as a a gemick to now considering it as using some dangerous marketing. The name "Warrior WOUND CARE" (emphasis added for effect) and "Oral IV" implies to the uneducated that it could be given to someone who has sustained a wound or significant injury. This notion is furthered by pictures of medical professionals carrying a patient on a litter and log-rolling a patient for a trauma assessment.

When I initially saw it, I assumed it was just an awesome hangover cure for those without the desire or facilities to use an IV. The sports drink comparison is neat, but unconvincing that this is even a higher grade version of pedialyte - I'd rather take the latter which I'm certain has some very impressive quality assurance and testing because of the obvious liability ramifications when being fed to small children.

montanadave
12-22-11, 15:12
I looked at this thread a week or so back and then found myself checking out the cost of Pedialyte at Costco and the local market. A little pricey and storage is always a hassle.

Got me wondering about powdered electrolyte replacements (like Alacer's Electro-Mix) and then my wife reminded of the WHO formula for a rehydration solution. Here's the recipe:

WHO Oral Rehydration Solution

Table Salt (NaCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Salt Substitute (KCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp.
Table Sugar 2 tablespoons
Tap Water 1 Liter (= 1 Qt. 2 tablespoons)

Chill. Can be served with fresh lemon squeezed into it. One can also mix it with Crystal Light or "sugar-free Kool-Aid" - don't use Regular Kool-Aid as it takes extra sugar which can worsen diarrhea.

This tastes quite salty to someone who isn't dehydrated.

NOTE: *Morton's Salt makes that is half NaCl (table salt) and half Potassium salt (KCl) and is called "Lite Salt" - if that is what your grocery store has, simply use 1 teaspoon of the the Lite Salt in place of of the table salt and potassium salt.

I was wondering what the consensus was about mixing up a batch of this and keeping it in the emergency stash. Seems like a guy could pick up a little powdered ascorbic acid at the local health food store and toss that in the mix to substitute for the lemon juice flavor. A damn sight cheaper then Pedialyte and easier to store and carry.

What say the experts?

PA PATRIOT
12-22-11, 16:01
I use this site as a reference on the subject.

http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

pmarc
12-22-11, 17:03
I was wondering what the consensus was about mixing up a batch of this and keeping it in the emergency stash. Seems like a guy could pick up a little powdered ascorbic acid at the local health food store and toss that in the mix to substitute for the lemon juice flavor. A damn sight cheaper then Pedialyte and easier to store and carry.

What say the experts?

Not sure about consensus. Not an expert myself, but both baking soda and Potassium Chloride are quite hygroscopic. Might affect overall shelf life.

I would try to store small ammounts in an airtight container, together with a silica gel pad or some other dessicant.

Dr. Eric Weiss, in "A Comprehensive guide to wilderness and travel medicine", advises pedialyte and 1/2-1/3 concentration gatorade for rehydration.

PlatoCATM
12-22-11, 17:19
I recently had the flu and went to buy some pedialyte. I needed to get some fluids in me quickly so I grabbed a 4 pack of the boxes and a box of the powdered version you add to a bottle of water. The best by date for the powdered version was actually sooner than the drink boxes. But it is easier to store and keep in your car or daypack for a hike. You just mix it one tube of the powder in a 16oz water bottle just like with other powdered single-use mixes.

Moose-Knuckle
12-23-11, 04:26
I use this site as a reference on the subject.

http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

Thanks for the link, great info.