PDA

View Full Version : Predator calls and techniques

Skill_Kills
11-29-11, 20:12
Hey everyone I'm in the market for a decent electronic caller mostly for yotes here around the farm and im thinking some of you might have a good opinion on what to look for and probably some calls to stay away from.

I have a buddy that says foxpros are overrated and i also have another that swears by them. my cousin has a johnny stewart and has had decent luck with it. figured id run it by you guys and see what comes up.

calling techniques are welcome too!

SkyPup
11-30-11, 10:59
One word -> FoxPro.:dance3::dance3::dance3:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG%20556%20Commando/Pig%20Plex%20Snacker/Coyote%207.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Game%20Cam/Coyote%20Hog/Coyote%20Hog%203.jpg

I use the Prairie Blaster + SP-FR1 Ext Speaker, a FireStorm + SP-55 Ext Speaker, and a SpitFire & Jack-In-Box and Jack Attack decoys.

Kills coyotes like mad.:D

TWR
11-30-11, 22:52
I've had a JS 512 complete with a jillion tapes and 10 pound battery, called lots of critters with it but wanted something lighter.

Went to the JS Preymaster, not bad but wanted remote control, called lots of critters with it.

Got a Fox Pro 416B, got lighter and had a remote but it called very few critters with it and switched to handcalls only for a few years.

Finally got a Minaska M1 Bandit, called quite a few critters with it but sent it in for the much needed:mad: upgrade and found their CS sucked. They had it longer than I had it and I had to send it back 3 times, stay away from Minaska, even if they were bought out.

Bought a new Fox Pro Fury and quickly realized it was almost perfect. FP has updated their sound library, updated their technology and has the best CS out there.

I now use a Fox Pro CS24, it is the perfect caller, sold my Fury to my hunting partner and they both call alot of critters. The CS24 is from the custom shop and has a better sound to it, especially with vocals. If just distress, the Fury is pretty nice but the CS24 is a howling son of a gun!

Inuvik
12-01-11, 13:11
My dept. runs 3 Foxpro Scorpion electornic callers on a daily basis. We have had them for a couple of years now. CS has been consistantly outstanding. We ordered them directly from Foxpro, and Foxpro uploaded a custom call list unique to each user, onto each machine at no cost.

We have had a couple of small mechanical/technical issues, and Foxpro has taken care of each of them right away.

Overall, we are very satisfied with them!

KevinC
12-02-11, 09:24
Foxpro x4

Anytime you use an electronic device outdoors you are going to run into some issues. Their CS is second to none. And as previously stated they have updated most of their calls.

KevinC

mnoe82
12-02-11, 17:36
My brother and I went in together on a FoxPro. No luck so far, probably been out 6 times. What technique should I be using? Just put it on a call and let it run until they come in? I don't know how to use it. Any ideas?

Inuvik
12-02-11, 20:46
My brother and I went in together on a FoxPro. No luck so far, probably been out 6 times. What technique should I be using? Just put it on a call and let it run until they come in? I don't know how to use it. Any ideas?

I assume you are after coyotes? What type of environment are you in (rural/urban)? If you are after urban yotes, a kitten distress may work well if cats are on the normal menu.

Otherwise, you may want to start off with the traditional rabbit or fawn distress call. These may not work well if the local yotes get hunted a lot. Mixing things up with some howling and fighting often works well too.

The bottom line is that you need to think like your prey, and figure out what will make them come in to you. Appeal to their hunger, libido, or territorial instinct as appropriate.

mnoe82
12-03-11, 07:28
Yes Coyotes

Rural area, East Tennessee

So if I'm using the rabbit in distress I need to just turn it on and let it run until the coyotes come in? No breaks, just run it continually? About how long do I need to stay in one location before moving on? Any estimate on how quickly I should expect to see coyotes after the call starts?

Inuvik
12-03-11, 10:47
Yes Coyotes

So if I'm using the rabbit in distress I need to just turn it on and let it run until the coyotes come in? No breaks, just run it continually? About how long do I need to stay in one location before moving on? Any estimate on how quickly I should expect to see coyotes after the call starts?

It really depends. I have only been around coyotes in Idaho, Nevada, and California. You will need to practice until you find something that works for you.

Don't just call continuously for too long. Mix it up. Also take breaks and listen.

Are you using good camo, monitoring the wind direction, breaking up your profile, and using decoys? All of these things will really help. Don't expect the coyotes to waltz right in on top of you. They will sometimes, but more often will stay partially hidden on the edge of cover.

Finally, if a location does not work after a while (15 - 20 minutes) move one until you find one that does.

jhs1969
12-05-11, 00:23
Yes Coyotes

I've had some success here in E TN. I've found that coyote howls and pup calls work the best, at least they have for me. I call for 10-20 seconds then wait for 5-10 minutes. If I detect one moving in closer I'll lower the volume a bit and call again for 5-10 seconds. The will try to sneak in most of the time, don't set up in the open, get into cover. I stay out of open terrain, it is too easy for them to spot you if you're in the open as they will use what cover is available to them. By cover I don't mean a brush pile that you can't see out of nor move on to target, get into the forest with them. I had the most success when I begin calling near dusk, just when they are heading out for a night of roaming. If you call them in, whether you are successful in killing one or not, move to another location. Don't hunt the same location for a few months, they are one of the smartest creatures I've ever hunted and will be educated very quickly. Here in E TN the ranges are close and every one I've ever taken was a moving shot, I always used pump or semi shotguns or semi rifles. From my understanding coyotes in the open western lands may require a long range accurate rifle but things here in the east, for me, have always been close and fast.

Skill_Kills
12-08-11, 17:05
I'm not too sure yet but i might be settling on a FoxPro Fury GX7. that or ill go with the firestorm. depends on how much money i feel is worth getting more sounds and a better remote.

any more input on these models?

Skill_Kills
12-12-11, 00:06
went out tonight with some buddies. Now im definitely set on a foxpro. decided to go with a firestorm. i liked the fury but i just cant justify the extra cost.

ended up with a little gray fox tonight, no yotes but we at least heard some!

ccoker
12-15-11, 13:46
Got a FoxPro Wildfire coming in to try this weekend

I took a Mojodove and removed the wings and used a coon skin cap and tail to make my own decoy
gotta love zipties!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmG9M0JpJOE&list=UUYEyedo8nYWN16FtxfgX1gQ&index=1&feature=plcp