PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action and sound suppressor

ace4059
11-30-11, 00:22
I have always heard that a sound suppressor increases the accuracy on a semi auto. But I want to know if the accuracy will atleast stay the same with a bolt action.

I have a savage bolt action that has been dialed in and it will shoot 1/8" groups at 100 yds. I want to suppress it for noise purposes. I am not wanting it for improved accuracy (while that would be a bonus) I am just worried about it reducing the accuracy. It is a .223 with 26" fluted bull barrel 1/9 twist, and I was wanting to send it back to savage and have them thread it for my AAC ranger 2. I didnt know if the added weight on the end of that heavy barrel will give me POI shift or throw off my groups. I know people put cans on bolt actions but how does it affect the accuracy and how does it affect the handloads with the pressure?

viperashes
11-30-11, 02:55
I have always heard that a sound suppressor increases the accuracy on a semi auto. But I want to know if the accuracy will atleast stay the same with a bolt action.

I have a savage bolt action that has been dialed in and it will shoot 1/8" groups at 100 yds. I want to suppress it for noise purposes. I am not wanting it for improved accuracy (while that would be a bonus) I am just worried about it reducing the accuracy. It is a .223 with 26" fluted bull barrel 1/9 twist, and I was wanting to send it back to savage and have them thread it for my AAC ranger 2. I didnt know if the added weight on the end of that heavy barrel will give me POI shift or throw off my groups. I know people put cans on bolt actions but how does it affect the accuracy and how does it affect the handloads with the pressure?

From my experience with suppressed weapons, a suppressor doesn't affect the mechanical accuracy necessarily so much as it affects human error accuracy. The fact of not having muzzle blast "hit you in the face" when you fire definitely adds to being able to concentrate on follow through. As with any suppressor, you're probably going to see a little bit of POI shift using a suppressor, but it shouldn't degrade accuracy at all. You may have to fire to find your zero shift, but other than that, you should be good to go.

TehLlama
11-30-11, 03:31
The suppressor should keep group size the same, or imperceptibly tighten them. There will be some shift (as with any change of muzzle device, and usually some slight downward movement because of added weight on the barrel), but if will be consistent with any decent can/attachment system.

Get anybody BUT Savage to thread it, and you'll be GTG.

ace4059
11-30-11, 03:54
OK good to know. I just didnt want to have my barrel thread and try the can out on it and the groups open up to 1".

Anyone know how the can on the end of the barrel will affect pressure and if I will have to adjust my loads? I dont want to blow up my gun. I am currently not running hot loads, but they are not light either.

viperashes
11-30-11, 04:54
OK good to know. I just didnt want to have my barrel thread and try the can out on it and the groups open up to 1".

Anyone know how the can on the end of the barrel will affect pressure and if I will have to adjust my loads? I dont want to blow up my gun. I am currently not running hot loads, but they are not light either.

As long as you're not running max loads you should be fine. And there's no reason or point to be running max loads suppressed anyway, it totally defeats the purpose of the suppressor.

Pressure issues sometimes crop up in suppressed carbines because of the gas system. Longer dwell times and higher back-pressure and such, but on a bolt gun you should be ok, with a caveat on the first point.