PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Ordinance Factory stuff?

ToeCutter
11-30-11, 06:09
What do you guys think of Patriot ordinance Factories gas piston uppers? They good to go or are there better options?

http://www.pof-usa.com/

munch520
11-30-11, 06:14
Overpriced. Searching will yield answers for you on the subject. And on the piston vs DI battle.

markm
11-30-11, 07:20
I've not heard of ANY good piston uppers or guns on the AR platform. :confused:

munch520
11-30-11, 07:53
And they're heavy as hell

OP:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90392
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74745
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88190
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46736
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77219

kartoffel
11-30-11, 09:51
Their gucci lowers are pretty cool, but you wouldn't catch me with a POF upper.

devinsdad
11-30-11, 10:26
There used to be another POF that marketed the exact same looking system but it was called the Pakastani Ordnance Factory. Then, some time later, the Patriot Ordnance Factory came on the scene. I've yet to find someone or something that referenced that the two are one and the same. But, the design of the rifles look exactly the same.

CAR-AR-M16
11-30-11, 10:45
What do you guys think of Patriot ordinance Factories gas piston uppers? They good to go or are there better options?

http://www.pof-usa.com/

It is ORDNANCE not ORDINANCE.

Sorry, I have worked for the Army Ordnance Corps for 27 years and it just bothers me when folks spell it wrong.

Apricotshot
11-30-11, 11:23
If you go on TOS and go to the POF Industry page you'll see about 70% of the postings dealing with thier guns that don't run. I had a 9.5 inch upper from them back in 2006-7. Out of spec bolt right out of the box. Took 4 weeks to get a replacement. God forbid you actually send them the upper or the entire rifle. You're talking months of wait. But all that might have changed within the last few years.

C-grunt
11-30-11, 11:43
If you go on TOS and go to the POF Industry page you'll see about 70% of the postings dealing with thier guns that don't run. I had a 9.5 inch upper from them back in 2006-7. Out of spec bolt right out of the box. Took 4 weeks to get a replacement. God forbid you actually send them the upper or the entire rifle. You're talking months of wait. But all that might have changed within the last few years.

My depts SWAT team recently bought a bunch of POF shorty rifles after their Colt Commandos were worn out and Colt had a huge back order.

Apparently the rifles are on something like their 5th iteration and work a lot better now than before. POF is local so any problems that they have had have been fixed the same day most of the time.

Talking to the guys they seem to like the rifle but do complain about the weight.

eodinert
11-30-11, 11:52
POF started life importing Paki HK parts, but started making their own piston AR guns after a while. I don't know if the Paki gun parts dried up, or they just shifted course, but Paki Ordnance Factory changed to Patriot Ordnance Factory some time back, as their product line shifted. Their signature move was a huge gas block that wouldn't fit under anybodies rail except the one they offer with their rifle.

There seems to be some POF drama right now. A place called Hogan made parts for POF, and didn't get paid. Lawsuits happened. Now, Hogan is selling guns that look exactly like POF guns, under their own name. In some cases, the Hogan guns are actually marked POF.

I've never had a Hogan or POF gun, so I can't speak to quality. I'm not an insider, either.

mike240
11-30-11, 20:14
My depts SWAT team recently bought a bunch of POF shorty rifles after their Colt Commandos were worn out and Colt had a huge back order.

Apparently the rifles are on something like their 5th iteration and work a lot better now than before. POF is local so any problems that they have had have been fixed the same day most of the time.

Talking to the guys they seem to like the rifle but do complain about the weight.

I know some of your guys though I left my agencies a team a few years ago. The ones I know don't fully trust the POF. My team instead of updating their Colts after I left, got on the piston bandwagon with HK416s. Those damn things havent all run reliably either (supressed or unsupressed regardless of ammo and mags used)....now with no money for replacement POF has offered this deal to trade them (our guys should have made HK eat the 416s in the first place). The demo 308 POF made it like 38 rounds before a parts breakage (I do not recall exactly what).....

Me, I just stay with DI, a proven history and leave things alone.

Duffy
11-30-11, 20:36
The POF then that sold HK parts is the same POF today, same name but just stands for different things now, it's run by the same guy :)

JockItch
11-30-11, 22:08
I have a POF rifle and it was my first piston gun. With over 2K thru her with no hick up! I have a 12" rail and its much heavier then my LMT MRP Piston. I would go with the new lighter hunter rail. Its a complete gun with all the extras you might want to put on other guns Nice trigger, KNS pins, Norgon mag release and Troy sights. Imo it a great gun.

Outlaw621
12-01-11, 09:50
I owned a POF 12x recon rifle. It was built well but damn it was heavy. The lower is just like any other lower. The upper is their own proprietary design. They have a huge gas block and a proprietary rail system and barrel nut that is way over sized. I also have a LWRC m6a2 that works flawlessly and although still heavier than a DI rifle it is lighter than the POF. POF customer service is a shot in the dark but LWRC customer service is fantastic.

C-grunt
12-01-11, 10:48
I know some of your guys though I left my agencies a team a few years ago. The ones I know don't fully trust the POF. My team instead of updating their Colts after I left, got on the piston bandwagon with HK416s. Those damn things havent all run reliably either (supressed or unsupressed regardless of ammo and mags used)....now with no money for replacement POF has offered this deal to trade them (our guys should have made HK eat the 416s in the first place). The demo 308 POF made it like 38 rounds before a parts breakage (I do not recall exactly what).....

Me, I just stay with DI, a proven history and leave things alone.

I have heard they stopped using the .308 POF because it was only reliable if kept spotless. Ive never seen one in the field just the Rem 700 LTRs. Though one of our snipers did tell me that the POF .308 was very accurate.

I was talking to one guy who told me that their Colt Commandos started having major problems because they were just worn out. One rifle apparently had somewhere 70k rounds through it. Unfortunately our dept wouldnt let them go to an outside source for new rifles and Colt was backordered. POF offered the rifles for almost free so they jumped on it. This is what I have heard from the guys using them.

neo9710
12-01-11, 15:44
Ive had my POF .308 for about a year and a half and I like it. I did send my upper back becuase it looked like the coating on the inside was flaking off. It is a little on the heavy side. Accurate - yes. Would I buy one at the current pricing....ummm