PDA

View Full Version : Coating on a5 buffer tube

Shoulderthinggoesup
11-30-11, 12:26
I went to begin installing my new vltor a5 buffer tube last night and when I did a modest amount of the black powder started to fall on to the table. When I unscrewed the tube the coating had been stripped off many of the threads. The tube was not hard to screw in at all. Not even a little bit, so I was rather shocked that the coating was rubbing and flaking off so easily.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7160/6429031915_899ac2b784.jpg

This is my first time building an AR so I am unsure if this is normal...? My concern is that I got one with a bad coating application that will open it up to corrosion etc. The aesthetics are no big deal, as I will just paint it if it really bothers me.

Should I return this or is it GTG?

EDIT:

For people searching:

1. Vltor said this was not OK, and that It should be returned, as there may have been an error during the anodizing process.

amd5007
11-30-11, 13:01
If you feel up to it, contact them. At least you will have the satisfaction of seeing what they would say.

Other than that, I've had the anodizing wear off around the threads of some receiver extensions and it hasn't caused a problem. And probably never will.

SteadyUp
11-30-11, 13:17
It's still good to go. Just install and enjoy the A5.

Shoulderthinggoesup
11-30-11, 13:32
Sent a email off to vltor just to see what they say on the matter (and to record it here for future searchers). Unless they are like OMGWTF send it back, I am just going to use it.

Thanks for the input.

markm
11-30-11, 13:35
Interesting.... Can't remember mine doing that. I think your concern is legit.... not Earth shattering... but legit.

kartoffel
11-30-11, 13:43
Had a VLTOR/BCM Gunfighter charging handle with anodizing just like that. It flaked off a little bit on the corners of the charging handle shaft, and around the laser etched logo. I scuffed it back with a scotch brite pad and it did not continue to flake, so I called it good to go. No problems.

markm
11-30-11, 13:46
Had a VLTOR/BCM Gunfighter charging handle with anodizing just like that. It flaked off a little bit on the corners of the charging handle shaft, and around the laser etched logo. I scuffed it back with a scotch brite pad and it did not continue to flake, so I called it good to go. No problems.

No Doubt.... My gunfighter CH's flake a bit too. :confused:

Shoulderthinggoesup
11-30-11, 14:07
Wow. Vltor is on top of shit! They got back to me in less than 5 minutes. I am impressed!

The rep, who talked with the general manager, said look like there was a problem with the anodizing and to send it back. I am in no hurry so that is what I will do.

munch520
11-30-11, 15:26
Wow. Vltor is on top of shit! They got back to me in less than 5 minutes. I am impressed!

Me too...there's some scraping/finish issue inside of my A5 RE and I called thinking it was a crack. They answer on the first ring, ask me where I purchased it, told me to send a pic, and issued me a return/exchange #. I emailed back and forth with a rep...never took her longer than 10 or so minutes to respond to an email. Upon further inspection I realized it wasn't cracked, so false alarm but great service nonetheless. :thank_you2:

mpom
12-01-11, 07:40
If it was me, I would send it back for inspection.
Also had a good experience with the CS; bought an A5 kit and saw discoloration inside RE. They told me it was most likely a small puddle of baked on dry lube and it is fine. No issues since. I think they really know their stuff, and if they say send it back...

Mark

Shoulderthinggoesup
12-01-11, 10:31
The CS was pretty killer. My only complaint is that I am apparently sending this back on my own dime (and I ordered it directly from vltor). If your going to tell me something should come back due to your own error, you really should pony up. However, it will cost me $2.30 so whatever.

mpom
12-01-11, 10:41
Good point. Would mention the cost to them and ask for reimbursement, a hat, or something for the expense and hassle.
Would not be surprised if they send a prepaid shipping label, as did Magpul when I bought a defective stock.

MP

SteveL
12-01-11, 14:14
The CS was pretty killer. My only complaint is that I am apparently sending this back on my own dime (and I ordered it directly from vltor). If your going to tell me something should come back due to your own error, you really should pony up. However, it will cost me $2.30 so whatever.

Reply to their e-mail again and ask them what the return procedure is and if you should be on the lookout for a pre-paid shipping label to show up. This politely drops a hint and puts the ball back in their court.

yhmspecter
12-01-11, 17:38
Nice to see that they have some stand up service.