PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a question

5.56 JC
12-01-07, 15:04
I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a while. 1st off let me say great forum I have learned a ton about AR's since I have started looking around and the members are polite and very knowledgeable.

Unfortunalty I am one of those people you guys have been talking about in the Major AR brands thread, and Buyers remourse threads. Last year I bought a Rock River Entry tactial (I know not the best) but I was influenced by the gun store guys and the higher price of the quality AR scared me off. I thought good enough was good enough, but now I am rethinking that theory. So 1st I am wondering if I should replace the the substandard parts on my RR Bolt, Bolt Carrier, Hbuffer. I have already added Magpul CTR, Ranger plates on the mags and self leveling folowes, YHM 7.0 light rail, SOG VFG and a MIAD grip. I have to say these parts are great inprovements over the factory set up and I really like the way my AR is set up now. I have spent more on the RR than I would have on a Colt, LMT, that Grant could have built me and would have been set up close to the same or better. Frustrating! But live and learn so now I have to make lemonade out of lemons.

So now I am looking at getting my second AR. I have the BRD real bad. Let me give you a little bit of information on my shooting background. Just shot my 1st AR last year (really fun). I have put about 2000 flawless rounds throught the RR and it shoots great. Because of the family situation married with 2 small kids. I can get out once a month if I am lucky and shoot 250 rounds at the most at a given range trip. I want to try and go to a carbine training class sometime this year to get more familiar with my AR, but that may not happen.

So let me ask you guys. should I keep my RR and get a second quality AR or should I just replace the remaining substand parts on my curent AR and spend the money on AMMO, training, Aimpoint, Flashlight ect that I would have spent on a second AR.

Thanks for you reply in advance and thanks for this great forum.

Jason

Stickman
12-01-07, 15:12
If I were you, I would buy a second lower, and build it up as time and money permitted.

Build your second AR the way you want over time, that way it hurts the wallet less, but you still get exactly what you are looking for.

If your pricing comes down to training or a second weapon, thats a tougher call IMHO. Training is very important, but there isn't much chance of training courses being banned by politicians. Then again, a tool without skills simply makes you a tool.

As far as replacing parts on your RRA, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Make sure your carrier key is staked, and you should be fine. You may also want to ensure your castle nut is staked on your buffer tube (receiver extension). If you aren't having problems, don't worry about it. Its VERY easy to stake those items yourself if they aren't already done.

Abraxas
12-01-07, 15:19
Too be honest that depends on what you are wanting. If you are wanting another gun then get the other gun, however if for the moment( and I do stress the MOMENT part,because that will change) you are satisfied with what you have then training is what you need. Because simply going to your average range will not develop your skills as much as if you can get quality training form a competent source. Lets face it ,you can have 100 guns but if you are not proficient with them, so what. Just my opinion though

5.56 JC
12-01-07, 15:27
Actually I will be getting a pretty big annual bonus in Feb 08. So I will have the money to buy an LMT or Sabre Defense. I just did'nt want to be wastful if what I had would be good enough for my purposes. I forgot about the Hillary angle and that does worry me. Also I really would like to have 2 AR's in the house. Like people say 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

So if I am looking to go with a second AR would I be better served having Grant @ G&R build me a LMT just the way I want it, or go with the sabre defense M4 tactical that I can get here locally and has everything that I would want on the rifle? The Sabre Defence would run $2000 plus tax. Not sure how much it would be for the LMT but I am figuring pretty close.

Thanks for the reply Stickman. I love your rifle pictures. Some of the best on the NET.

Jason

Jaeger
12-01-07, 16:55
Check the staking of the key and maybe beef up the extractor a bit and enjoy your rifle. I have 6 Rock Rivers in service at my department and they have been excellent rifles.
I second the advice of getting a lower and doing a gradual build. Training is very important and I would never advise against it. If you can afford it, get it.
Something else to consider if your budget it tight is a dedicated .22lr upper. You can do a lot of training with one for very little money.

5.56 JC
12-01-07, 22:56
It makes me feel better that the RR is not a complete bust because I really like it. I think I am going to get a second AR. Which one do you guys think is better.

The Sabre Defense M4 Tactical has a Samson rail, fluted barrel, flip up front and rear sights, special muzzle brake/ flash hider, an ergo grip, and a SOCOM stock. I handled one at the local shop and it was really nice.

or

LMT upper and lower with a DD lite rail, LaRue BUIS, Magpul grip and stock, like the RR.

Would one have a clear advantage over the other or would it just be personal preference?

Thanks

jacketch
12-02-07, 07:02
Go take a good carbine training course.

Not only will you learn how to use the weapon, you will find out just what configuration you want. This alone will save lots of mis-spent money.

Shihan
12-02-07, 17:31
Actually I will be getting a pretty big annual bonus in Feb 08. So I will have the money to buy an LMT or Sabre Defense. I just did'nt want to be wastful if what I had would be good enough for my purposes. I forgot about the Hillary angle and that does worry me. Also I really would like to have 2 AR's in the house. Like people say 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

So if I am looking to go with a second AR would I be better served having Grant @ G&R build me a LMT just the way I want it, or go with the sabre defense M4 tactical that I can get here locally and has everything that I would want on the rifle? The Sabre Defence would run $2000 plus tax. Not sure how much it would be for the LMT but I am figuring pretty close.

Thanks for the reply Stickman. I love your rifle pictures. Some of the best on the NET.

Jason

The LMT should run considerably less. As its getting close to crunch time I dont think its a good time to sell any weapon that may be banned. While the RRA may not be the top of the line you can get it so its functionalble and your new weapon can be your go to gun.

Shihan
12-02-07, 17:32
It makes me feel better that the RR is not a complete bust because I really like it. I think I am going to get a second AR. Which one do you guys think is better.

The Sabre Defense M4 Tactical has a Samson rail, fluted barrel, flip up front and rear sights, special muzzle brake/ flash hider, an ergo grip, and a SOCOM stock. I handled one at the local shop and it was really nice.

or

LMT upper and lower with a DD lite rail, LaRue BUIS, Magpul grip and stock, like the RR.

Would one have a clear advantage over the other or would it just be personal preference?

Thanks

Stay away from the Samson rail. Where are you located?

5.56 JC
12-02-07, 23:40
Yeah, I started looking around @ G&R tactical website looks like I could build the LMT for alot less.

Whats wrong with the Samson rail?

I am in Salt Lake City, Utah. We have a great gun store here called Get Some LLC that has about everything you could want in a AR's, AK's, Suppresors ect.

Robert Wrath
12-03-07, 12:59
You live in a great State! I used to live in St. George, and my EX-Wife lived in S.L.C.! I to am conerned about the Hilary angle, BUT if you are getting a good bonus in a couple of months I'd sign up for the training. I was in the Army for 10yrs and NOTHING beats going to the MOUT or assualting a trenchline! Nothing will make up for the experience will get going there! After that you just keep up your skills!

5.56 JC
12-03-07, 13:38
Yeah, I have been in SLC going on 4 years and love it.

I think I will build up an LMT just the way I want it and was looking at doing a training class with Trident concepts I think its called. I have emailed them for the info.

Shihan
12-03-07, 18:17
Yeah, I started looking around @ G&R tactical website looks like I could build the LMT for alot less.

Whats wrong with the Samson rail?

I am in Salt Lake City, Utah. We have a great gun store here called Get Some LLC that has about everything you could want in a AR's, AK's, Suppresors ect.

Do a search on the site and you will see all the legal mumbo jumbo.

toddackerman
12-03-07, 18:20
You have a weapon that is "Functional" and reliable, so I would keep it as a "Back Up" as long as the Gas Key is staked properly, and you're 100% satisfied that it runs 100% of the time with your enhanced parts. I had a Bushy for my first 2 years in "AR Land" and it performed 100%, but that was a few years ago before the QC started to be questionable.

I also agree that now is the time to stock up on those items that very well could be banned like a second Lower. You can always get a LPK and stock for the 2nd lower.

Next, think about the upper YOU want. The LMT MRP is a great modular system, and all you need to do is change out barrels (easily done without having to be gunsmith) when the old one craps out, which is probably between 15K to 20K rounds in a 16" mid length gas system. Get 2 bolts when you get the extra barrel (2 total), and you'll be GTG for many years based on your stated tarining schedule. Get 2 bolts and a spare BCG IF/ WHEN you get the initial MRP upper.

With this system, you can continue to use all your accessories including BUIS', Light's and Optics on the same platform. I believe it's much easier to "Hump" and extra barrel if needed than another full rifle.

Along the way, you should try to take at least one training class from a reputable instructor, and then "Train"! Once you have really gotten everything out of that class, consider an advanced class, and the "Train". It's important to keep your new found skills sharp and at the ready.

Robert Wrath
12-05-07, 12:04
5.56JC, You will shoot 1k of rds or more in 2-3 days and your bore will get pretty messed-up, you will notice your rifle is'nt as accurate as before you went. "BUT" have no fear, go out and buy you some copper bore cleaner it will make cleaning a lot faster. And your rifle will be back-up to snuff!