PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your weapons.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 14:39
Im interested specifically how you prefer to store your weapons in your safe.

Locked and Loaded?

Un-Chambered? On safe?

And what is your reason behind it.

I know that any weapon I take out of my safe is chambered and ready to go.

Minus the 30-06

markm
11-30-11, 14:42
Hammer down on an empty chamber, loaded mag in the receiver.

My home D gun is kept with a live round chambered, safety on. I'm still getting used to this. It's a new procedure for me the last few months.

Pork Chop
11-30-11, 14:57
Most are stored in a heavily oiled, long term state.

I have 3 that are not.

My 1911 is kept in condition 1.
My carbine is kept empty chamber, with loaded mag in the receiver.
My 12 gauge is kept same as the carbine.

Jaysop
11-30-11, 14:59

You don't think that's a little excessive? I usually keep my HD gun in condition 3. I feel safer that way if it out of a locked safe.

I have a dog, so to me that's my early warning system, so lately iv
been keeping a condition 4 rifle with a nearby mag.

In all reality I don't anticipate someone climbing threw my window at night. I don't live in that kind of place anymore. Even when I did I feel like keeping a round chambered is looking for an accident.

Where are most people keeping there HD guns?

Bimmer
11-30-11, 15:06
Empty. With several loaded magazines separate.

And what is your reason behind it.

My rifles are "ready to go" to the range, or to the garage (to be cleaned or futzed with).

My reason: I keep a loaded Glock and a spare magazine in a MiniVault under my bed.

Yeah, I know, I know... What's the cliché? A pistol is just for fighting your way back to your rifle, which you never should have left in the first place?

The AR is better in every way, except that it doesn't fit in a MiniVault, and my house is small, and even a carbine is bulkier than a pistol.

So, if something goes bump in the night and I make it all the way down the hall, through my home office, into the closet, to the gun safe, and I get the key, and I open the gun safe... then at that point I probably will have plenty of time to load a magazine and chamber a round.

40Arpent
11-30-11, 15:06
You don't think that's a little excessive?

I was thinking the same thing, then I figured he must not have very many guns in his safe.

Guns in my safes are completely unloaded. HD guns outside of the safes are loaded, round chambered, safeties on where applicable.

Bimmer
11-30-11, 15:14
. I know that any weapon I take out of my safe is chambered and ready to go.

You don't think that's a little excessive?

I think it's excessive...

Unless he's transporting his guns loaded (no-no), he's constantly chambering and unchambering live ammunition inside his home, which is something I try to avoid.

Jaysop
11-30-11, 15:22
When I think of every gun I have being loaded that would include my hunting rifles/shotguns and my .22s. That wouldn't be beneficial in any way.

As a kid Id look for my fathers guns to play with them(I know, I was stupid. I knew better and was taught better).

I have nothing against people keeping a gun in condition 1(chamber loaded/on safe) but for me I think the added safety of having to chamber a round to fire the weapon is worth the fraction of a second it would take to do so.

motoduck
11-30-11, 15:23
Guns in the safes are in there for storage and protection from theft, fire etc. No need to keep them loaded plus it is a waste of premium space.

HD defense gun's, SHTF gun's are not in the safe. They are not being stored, they are on duty and ready to be used as tools if nedded. They are in secure but accessable locations in home and business loaded with full mags round in the chamber so that if I need them "now" they are ready to go!

Moltke
11-30-11, 15:25
My modern/expensive/NFA firearms and stuff are locked in my safe inside my gun room. My older/not expensive guns are just stored in my gun room on my rack. Guns are always unloaded in there but the ammo & mags are stacked right next to the rack and safe.

My CCW is either on me or on my nightstand, loaded, holstered and ready.

Hmac
11-30-11, 15:27
I keep mine empty locked up in a metal cabinet tucked away in a hidden storage room. I don't use 'em for home defense, just need to keep the kids' hands off.

K1tt3n5
11-30-11, 15:29
I keep a loaded 1911 on the bedside table. Rifle is usually in my closet, unloaded, but with a mag near it.

C-grunt
11-30-11, 15:33
Most of my guns are locked in the safe unloaded. I have two loaded handguns in a mini safe in the closet and my AR is stored chamber empty with a loaded mag where I can get to it.

kwelz
11-30-11, 15:35
All pistols are kept chambered. Rifles in the safe are kept hammer down on an empty chamber with a full mag inserted into the gun. Any rifle I have out it kept chambered and ready.

munch520
11-30-11, 15:41
Hammer down on an empty chamber, loaded mag in the receiver.

My home D gun is kept with a live round chambered, safety on. I'm still getting used to this. It's a new procedure for me the last few months.

Same. Weapons cabinet in basement (not a safe) is locked with 2 dehumidifiers running near it. Guns in there are cond 3, HD carbine/carry pistol are cond 1.

blackjack_03
11-30-11, 15:42
Everything is unloaded. For the AR I have loaded mags on the top shelf only because I can fit the rifle in the safe with it ready to go.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 15:46
I think it's excessive...

Unless he's transporting his guns loaded (no-no), he's constantly chambering and unchambering live ammunition inside his home, which is something I try to avoid.

No disrespect, but who are you guys to decide whats excessive on my part?

You dont live in my house and youre not my neighbor...you shouldnt assume what or "HOW" I transport.

No...is the answer on transporting my weapons loaded. Im not stupid.

Another NO...on constant chambering/unchambering my rifles.

I have more than a few guns in my safe.

Why does it matter if they locked and loaded, its in a safe.

No one can get to them, no kids or anyone else for that matter.

The safe if ANYWHERE else should be the best place to keep a round chambered

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 15:52
HD defense gun's, SHTF gun's are not in the safe. They are not being stored, they are on duty and ready to be used as tools if nedded. They are in secure but accessable locations in home and business loaded with full mags round in the chamber so that if I need them "now" they are ready to go!

+1 on this.

The shorty is always near/with me.

I keep it on hand due to it being my primary.

I use my tools.

buckjay
11-30-11, 15:55
No disrespect, but who are you guys to decide whats excessive on my part?

You dont live in my house and youre not my neighbor...you shouldnt assume what or "HOW" I transport.

No...is the answer on transporting my weapons loaded. Im not stupid.

Another NO...on constant chambering/unchambering my rifles.

I have more than a few guns in my safe.

Why does it matter if they locked and loaded, its in a safe.

No one can get to them, no kids or anyone else for that matter.

The safe if ANYWHERE else should be the best place to keep a round chambered

You started a thread asking for peoples opinions, no need to freak out.

I also don't see the point of keeping my guns loaded in my safe. I have my main HD rifle and my glock, both of which are kept with a loaded mag, none in chamber.

If somethings in my safe, its there to be stored.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 16:01
You started a thread asking for peoples opinions, no need to freak out.

No not at all.

I apologize if I came across like that. To all

The way I write I guess may be strong, or excessive.

Not at all.

I guess I could do the same thing and say that what good is a tool if its locked away and not on hand.

Or what good is it if you have to fumble in the dark or in a situation that requires speed

Moltke
11-30-11, 16:06
Got kids? It may affect your decision making in regards with what to leave locked up and unlocked, loaded and unloaded.

Lincoln7
11-30-11, 16:08
If I need a firearm immediately in my house I won't be unlocking my safe to pull out a loaded firearm. I will already have something positioned near me, probably with an empty chamber unless it's on me.

I don't see myself 'fumbling in the dark' to chamber a round/make firearm ready. I have since trained myself to operate my firearms...

Jaysop
11-30-11, 16:32
I guess I could do the same thing and say that what good is a tool if its locked away and not on hand.

Or what good is it if you have to fumble in the dark or in a situation that requires speed

I completely agree with that. My old boss had his pistol(his only HD weapon) locked in a spin dial safe in his closet.
C'mon whats the point of that?

I don't keep more than one rifle/shotgun at a time ready for HD. I feel like it would look bad if my house was an arsenal prepared for attack in the event I did have to defend myself.
Chances are they're not going to be used.

I'm curious as to the reasons why some people are keeping rounds in the chamber? It might be my ignorance but if your familiar with your weapon there would be a minimal time difference in going cond3 to cond1. With the added safety of not worrying about a ND.
Even deployed, on base your walking around Cond3

Ive seen people do stupid shit with guns and that kind of drives my opinion. There are some people who always have a CCW for the wrong reasons as well. Guns should be the last measure of defense, because when you employ one its final.

I wouldn't live in a place where I felt the need to be on such a defensive stance at all times. But maybe that's just my perspective, not meant to impose on anyone else s.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 16:41
I feel the same way about HD weapons (especially pistols) or any primary being stored in any kind of safe.

But I can understand it with certain people as they have kids and in some states its illegal.

My primary HD that is on hand is not chmabered. Its only near.

The M4 in the safe in locked and ready. In a locked safe.

If I end up needing it I want it ready.

buckjay
11-30-11, 16:42
I completely agree with that. My old boss had his pistol(his only HD weapon) locked in a spin dial safe in his closet.
C'mon whats the point of that?

I don't keep more than one rifle/shotgun at a time ready for HD. I feel like it would look bad if my house was an arsenal prepared for attack in the event I did have to defend myself.
Chances are they're not going to be used.

I'm curious as to the reasons why some people are keeping rounds in the chamber? It might be my ignorance but if your familiar with your weapon there would be a minimal time difference in going cond3 to cond1. With the added safety of not worrying about a ND.

Ive seen people do stupid shit with guns and that kind of drives my opinion. There are some people who always have a CCW for the wrong reasons as well. Guns should be the last measure of defense, because when you employ one its final.

I wouldn't live in a place where I felt the need to be on such a defensive stance at all times. But maybe that's just my perspective, not meant to impose on anyone else s.

I don't think we're talking about storing HD guns in a safe. I don't think a HD gun should ever be 'stored' as that defeats the purpose of HD.

I was referring to how you store guns in your safe. I'm pretty sure we can all agree if something is stored inside a safe you have to rule it out for a HD scenario hence why I feel the lack of need to keep something stored in your safe locked and loaded.

ETA: But obviously each person has his or her own needs and if someone feels the need to keep 5 HGs chambered, hammer up, safety off strapped to his leg then have at it!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-30-11, 16:44
We all live in different situations, different climes and places, and different neighborhoods. To judge a man for doing what he can to protect his family is asinine. For those saying that because they live in a higher class neighborhood, then they are safe from break ins, get real.

I generally keep a Cond. 1 G19 on my night stand, a Cond. 1 G26 in a holster in the nightstand, and a loaded SW 642 in my wifes drawer. My AR is Cond 3 near the bed. The rest are locked up.

kerplode
11-30-11, 16:47
My primary HD weapons are either on my person or stored in a secure, but readily accessible, location in the house; handguns on safe with full mags and loaded chambers and rifle/shotgun on safe with full mag and empty chamber.

Everything else is kept locked in the safe with unloaded mags and hammers down on empty chambers. If a situation arises, I have my primaries close by and ready to go. There are loaded mags for most everything in storage as well, so it would take less than a minute to get something from safe storage ready for action.

I think leaving weapons in storage unloaded cuts down on a bunch of unnecessary manipulations when I take them out to go to the range or to do maintenance or whatever. Even though I consider my gun safety skills to be pretty golden, the less time I spend loading and unloading in my home, the lower probabililty I have of some kind of a mistake or malfunction resulting in an unexpected loud bang.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-30-11, 16:50

I would never carry a defensive weapon Cond 3 if I had the choice. Nor will I keep my HD pistol Cond 3. Especially not for reasons like "being afraid of myself". If you need more training, take a class, but dont advise others to go 3 instead of 1 because youve seen stupid people do stupid things.

This thread looks alot like some ARFCOM bullshit.:suicide2:

munch520
11-30-11, 16:54
Got kids? It may affect your decision making

Definitely agree! To answer your question, I would say "no" and my wife would say "not yet :evil cackle:"

We all live in different situations, different climes and places, and different neighborhoods. To judge a man for doing what he can to protect his family is asinine. For those saying that because they live in a higher class neighborhood, then they are safe from break ins, get real.

Bingo. Once had a guy tell me "ARs are terrible HD weapons". He lived in an apartment - while I split my time between my house on an acre and the huge family farm. No two circumstances are EVER the same.

I would never carry a defensive weapon Cond 3 if I had the choice. Nor will I keep my HD pistol Cond 3. Especially not for reasons like "being afraid of myself". If you need more training, take a class, but dont advise others to go 3 instead of 1 because youve seen stupid people do stupid things.

Man are we on the same channel. Completely agree.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 16:56

Thank you.

I started this with good intentions.

Too bad it had to turn into some bullshit "I cant believe you do that!"

Im not afraid of my weapons by any means.

I have RESPECT for them and I think that goes a long way.

Jaysop
11-30-11, 16:57
I don't think we're talking about storing HD guns in a safe. I don't think a HD gun should ever be 'stored' as that defeats the purpose of HD.

I was referring to how you store guns in your safe. I'm pretty sure we can all agree if something is stored inside a safe you have to rule it out for a HD scenario hence why I feel the lack of need to keep something stored in your safe locked and loaded.

ETA: But obviously each person has his or her own needs and if someone feels the need to keep 5 HGs chambered, hammer up, safety off strapped to his leg then have at it!

:D Sorry my post doesn't read as I meant it. I had two thoughts going at once. Of course a HD weapons not locked up. One of my neighbors kid fatally shot himself with one of the few guns my neighbor kept around his house. So im very conservative on the practice now.

If my post came across that way im sorry, That was definitely NOT the intent. I'm not living in a high class area,rich or privlaged.Its just luckily quiet. Im obviously not safe from break in, but it doesn't cross my mind often.

ryr8828
11-30-11, 16:58
I typed out a pretty long post but then decided maybe it's not a good idea to put my defensive position out on the internet so I backspaced back to zero.
I don't like having a long gun in my safe with a cartridge in the barrel ready to fire. I opened my safe one time and got hit in the belly with the flash hider from an ar15. I guess I hadn't put it in there correctly or something. Maybe we had a small earthquake. I don't know. Now rifles on the front row are put in there muzzle down.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 17:08
rifles on the front row are put in there muzzle down.

Same here

Jaysop
11-30-11, 17:08

Its not a fear of myself. Something you carry on your person and something you leave unattended are two different matters. I was referring to the gun you leave under the bed or in the night stand when you leave for work or sit on the couch.
FWIW I don't carry and don't have an intention of doing so. Its not necessary or appropriate for my current lifestyle.

And I wasn't advising others not to keep there HD guns in Cond1. I was really looking for the reasoning behind it out of curiosity.
I guess I'm not communicating well today.

a0cake
11-30-11, 17:14
I keep two AR's instantly accessible but hidden in Condition 1 (loaded on safe) on either side of the house. (There is no chance of an aggressor finding and/or getting to the second rifle to arm himself with my own firearms)

The rest are stored locked up, unloaded with the hammer down / decocked.

BCmJUnKie
11-30-11, 17:23
[QUOTE=LowSpeed_HighDrag;1156350]I would never carry a defensive weapon Cond 3 if I had the choice. Nor will I keep my HD pistol Cond 3. QUOTE]

Unfortunately I know people that carry like this.

God forbid they ever have to defend themselves or their family.

They think they have time to draw, rack and aquire.

I feel very bad that this is their choice

a0cake
11-30-11, 17:28

I don't want the invader to hear me rack the charging handle. It's loud. It gives up my location and shows my cards. If you're in my house uninvited to do harm, you'll not receive any warning before the A2 FH comes around the corner and the game is over.

The old gun store BS about "all you need to do is pump the shotgun and it'll scare them away" is crap logic.

I've never worried about an ND because I know WTF I'm doing (not saying you don't).

As far as weapons condition when deployed, this is unit SOP based on the situation at that location. For us it was condition 1 at all times this last trip around. Not a single ND. A loaded firearm doesn't make me uncomfortable.

Sorry if this comes across as overly strongly worded, but I simply don't understand how a person can feel more safe with an unloaded firearm than with a loaded firearm if they know what they're doing. It's backwards to me.