PDA

View Full Version : Hammer follows...

SHIVAN
12-01-07, 17:06
On a basic level, what would cause a hammer to follow?

I shortstroke tested this upper, and it passes 100% of the time. It locks the bolt to the rear on every test.

The rifle fires the first round in the mag, cycles perfectly, feeds the next round into the chamber perfectly...

Trigger is held to the rear for a proper reset and followthrough, hammer has obviously followed...

Every time.

First step to try a different trigger group?

ErikL
12-01-07, 17:15
Is this a factory untouched trigger group? Or has it been worked on?

Robb Jensen
12-01-07, 17:17
Try another disconnector and disconnector spring.

From your description is sounds like the disconnector isn't doing it's job. If it were the hammer or trigger the disconnector would hold the hammer back until you reset the trigger and then the hammer would fall.

SHIVAN
12-01-07, 20:15
Is this a factory untouched trigger group? Or has it been worked on?

Untouched, factory two-stage.

Eric
12-02-07, 00:10
Swap out: disconnecter spring, disconnecter, then hammer & trigger (cheapest parts then the more expensive). Since it is a factory unit, I would contact the mfg to have to taken care of.

ErikL
12-02-07, 01:25
Untouched, factory two-stage.

is this a RR, DPMS, ARM? or an adjustable 2 stage? Is it new or how many rounds are through it? If its new I would have them send you a known working trigger group. if not as gotm4 said check disconnecter and spring. I had a NM rifle from RR that had hammer follow after about 3k rounds if there was to much lube in the mechanism, it wouldn't do it every time though. I know it only takes a C hair off the hook and you can cause the same problem. Lot more place there can be problems with a 2 stage.

SHIVAN
12-02-07, 11:41
This was a new ArmaLite Adjustable "Tactical" two-stage.

I figured out the problem. I was using an older, narrow channel carrier in my AR-10. The hammer was the standard width, which does not have enough clearance and when the carrier came forward it apparently grabbed the hammer and pulled it forward with it.

Swapped out to a used ArmaLite single stage with the narrow hammer, and voila....no more issues.

Thanks for the help guys. It got me looking in the right places.

Robb Jensen
12-02-07, 12:06
This was a new ArmaLite Adjustable "Tactical" two-stage.

I figured out the problem. I was using an older, narrow channel carrier in my AR-10. The hammer was the standard width, which does not have enough clearance and when the carrier came forward it apparently grabbed the hammer and pulled it forward with it.

Swapped out to a used ArmaLite single stage with the narrow hammer, and voila....no more issues.

Thanks for the help guys. It got me looking in the right places.

That's funny. :eek:

So the hammer didn't ever make it to the disconnector to allow the disconnector to work.

SHIVAN
12-02-07, 12:41
When cycling it by hand, the hammer acted properly. In fact, there was clearance enough for the action to cycle. I'm betting at speed the disconnector TRIED to hold it, but could not overcome that much mass trying to pull it forward...

Oddly, the trigger did not relay any feedback to me. Oh well, I'll drop the ArmaLite in an AR-15 and take my LMT 2-stage with the narrow hammer and put it in the AR-10.

Gunfixr
12-02-07, 12:50
I'm glad you got the problem resolved, and will store that info away for future reference. FYI, when I put together this Frankengun kit that came into my hands, the hammer would follow when fired or dry run. It turned out that taking some off the tail on the hammer solved the problem. Apparently, it was pushing the tail of the disconnector in so far as to not allow it to catch the hammer as the bolt carrier went forward. After modifying the hammer and disconnector a fair bit, I got it working, but swapped both parts out at my earliest convenience, because I no longer trusted them. I don't know who made them, but the kit appeared to have been dated from the late 80s, early 90s.