PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question: Where can I purchase a (good) standard FSB?

0reo
11-30-11, 19:16
OK, so for my SHTF gun I've decided to not use a flip-up front sight and instead use a regular, old-school, pinned to the barrel, iron front sight. Can't find one for sale anywhere. Bravo Co has F-marked ones but they're a different height right? (I'll be using a flip-up rear sight on a flat-top upper.) I think Brownell's has Double Star brand of what I'm looking for. Would that be good to go? Looks like Daniel defense is out of stock of theirs.

Any ideas?

Toyoland66
11-30-11, 19:19
OK, so for my SHTF gun I've decided to not use a flip-up front sight and instead use a regular, old-school, pinned to the barrel, iron front sight. Can't find one for sale anywhere. Bravo Co has F-marked ones but they're a different height right? (I'll be using a flip-up rear sight on a flat-top upper.) I think Brownell's has Double Star brand of what I'm looking for. Would that be good to go? Looks like Daniel defense is out of stock of theirs.

Any ideas?

If you are using a flip up rear on a flat top you want a F marked FSB. Non F marked is for a A1 or A2 receiver.

5pins
11-30-11, 19:20
If you are using a flat top upper then you will want an F marked FSB.

0reo
11-30-11, 19:24
Wow, good thing I asked! Thanks!

Iraqgunz
11-30-11, 19:24
Why do you feel a flip front sight won't be sufficient?

The bigger question is who are you going to get to properly install the FSB on the barrel?

Any ideas?

usmcvet
11-30-11, 19:45
IG hits a very important point. To mount a FSB you will need to drill through the bottom of the FSB and bbl, not a DIY project.

Generalpie
11-30-11, 19:52
The two important points have been hit already. Unless I am using irons only on the gun I would almost always opt for a folding front, either gas block mounted or rail mounted.

Secondly it is not a DIY friendly process unless the barrel has already had one factory installed.

0reo
11-30-11, 21:34
Well, who to do the install remains to be sorted out. I'm contemplating buying the tools to do it properly myself. I've got a drill press & some other things. With the right jigs I'm plenty capable. If I can find a reputable smith near by I'll have them do it.

After looking at my rail options, calculating weight & cost I think I just like this direction better. Basically, I'm going to do something like this (this is not a pic of my gun. It's Apex Machine Co.'s gun) only with an Aimpoint T1:
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac237/apexcnc1/EXTML5.jpg?t=1291155372

markm
12-01-11, 08:10
Secondly it is not a DIY friendly process unless the barrel has already had one factory installed.

It's even harder then. You'd have to hope you could line up the new holes in the FSB to the reamed holes from the original.

Outlaw621
12-01-11, 09:40
IMHO I would think that if you are going to purchase the tools and jig plus the FSB for a 1 time (maybe twice) install it may be cheaper to purchase a new barrel with FSB already installed. This way you know it's done correctly and you have no problems. you could always sell your old barrel.

markm
12-01-11, 09:43
IMHO I would think that if you are going to purchase the tools and jig plus the FSB for a 1 time (maybe twice) install it may be cheaper to purchase a new barrel with FSB already installed. This way you know it's done correctly and you have no problems. you could always sell your old barrel.

This is true. Buy the Jig and reamer for a one time deal? Doesn't make sense.

chasetopher
12-01-11, 10:20
Not to continue to beat the horse but I'd recommend against trying to DIY.
Far cheaper both time and $$ to purchase a barrel with the fsb already installed.
Sell the barrel or build yourself a spare upper.

I speak as someone with above average mechanical ability who enjoys tinkering projects with basic machining capabilities in my basement: presses, toolmakers lathe, horizontal mill. Just because I could get setup to do the install, there is no way I would attempt to get set up for it with the only return on the investment to be able to say that 'I did it myself.'

wrench
12-05-11, 19:27
[QUOTE=0reo;1156618]Well, who to do the install remains to be sorted out. I'm contemplating buying the tools to do it properly myself.

Out of curiosity, did you ever find a jig for it? If so, where?

I looked for one but ended up having to make one myself. I do a lot of barrels though. ;)

5pins
12-05-11, 21:08
[QUOTE=0reo;1156618]Well, who to do the install remains to be sorted out. I'm contemplating buying the tools to do it properly myself.

Out of curiosity, did you ever find a jig for it? If so, where?

I looked for one but ended up having to make one myself. I do a lot of barrels though. ;)

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BRDE-Fixture-for-Drilling-Pinning-Front-Sight-Base-p/brdejig3.htm

0reo
12-06-11, 05:13
That would be the one. Its a solid well constructed tool. Came in the mail a couple days ago. :)

wrench
12-06-11, 08:59
I mentioned this in another thread about taper pins, but I figure it applies here as well.

If you haven't already bought the reamer, check out victornet. They have 2/0 reamers for $2. I get all my reamers from them. Just get the standard steel ones at the bottom of the page: http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Taper-Pin-Reamers/2548.html

They're more than adequate for doing several barrels, and they work great in a mill or a drill press, at low speeds.

0reo
12-07-11, 18:37
Thanks for the tip! :)