PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat 300 BLK Upper?

870pilot
11-30-11, 22:28
Greetings...

I'm looking to add a .300 Blackout Upper to my duty AR as a designated marksman rilfe for rural law enforcement use. I'll be footing the bill, so want the $$$ to be well spent.

I'm closing in on the choice of a Noveske upper but I'm now researching an offering by Wilson Combat.

Anyone running a WC upper in .300 BLK that could lend an opinion? The Noveske and the Wilson are close on price.

If there are any officers out there that know of a LEO discount or even a priority buy for one of these uppers, reach out. thanks.

wilsoncombatrep
12-01-11, 06:15
870Pilot,
WC is proud to give a LEO/Mil discount.....just ask your sales rep when spec'ing your upper. Custom uppers are running under a month, assuming we have the barrel instock. We have some of our 300BLK barrels instock, and have more finishing up now:cool:

870pilot
12-01-11, 07:15
thanks for the comeback. good to know WC supports LEO's. especially like the look/function of the fluted barrell on one WC offering.

shadow65
12-01-11, 09:58
You won't get hurt by either manufacturer.
But since Wilson answered your thread and is giving an L.E. discount, they would be my choice.

I've been testing the 300 BLK and I believe it is a great choice for L.E.
You can shoot sub sonic for suppressor use as well as high velocity to 300 yards accurately.
Lots less flash than a comparable 5.56.
I've been running a 9"
Hopefully ammo prices will come down. It has definetly become one of my favorites.
Dave

rsilvers
12-01-11, 10:07
UMC ammo is being loaded next week. By the way, manufacturers can buy it in large quantities from AAC for rifle testing at very low prices with the Federal Income Tax being exempt.

870pilot
12-01-11, 12:55
thanks guys, good points, i've never spent a grand on an upper before, but sadly its up to individual officers in small departments like mine to gear up for the safety of myself, fellow officers and the public. even in northern new england, engaging a threats at 300 yards would be rare. thus the 300blackout appears to be a wise choice for terminal ballistics above the ,223. all ill have to do id carry a double rifle case with a .300 upper and scope with a dedicated mag in one half and the .223 in the other.

rsilvers
12-01-11, 13:01
I like to prepare for 3 standard deviations. So if I were LE, I would look at hundreds of LE rifle use and find the mean and standard deviation of the distance. I would then add the mean to two times the standard deviation, and that is the range that 95% of all shooting would be within. I would then optimize for that range and have a max point blank zero for that range.

I would also do this for ammo. If you get hundreds or thousands of LE shooting data, and sum the mean with three times the standard deviation of rounds used - that would prepare me for over 99% of shootings.

The reason why I did three times rather than two times, is for ammo - when you are out, you are out. Whereas with shooting distance, you can always shoot further than what you optimized for.

In any case, the range data would probably show that 95% of LE rifle shootings are within 50 yards, so 300 AAC BLACKOUT is by far the best choice - at least once bonded ammo is out.

870pilot
12-01-11, 13:20
rsilvers :D i really appreciate the theory. i live in a state where gun carry laws are virtually non existant and a hunting heritage puts a long gun in just about every house. we would easily be up against a 30.06 deer rifle when the sheeite hits the fan. its just like to have an option to repond to a deer rifle threat.

did drop this topic on several boards but have not heard from a single WCombat .300 owner willing to share an opinion. are the shipping uppers?

Cold
12-01-11, 13:23
Greetings...

I'm looking to add a .300 Blackout Upper to my duty AR as a designated marksman rilfe for rural law enforcement use. I'll be footing the bill, so want the $$$ to be well spent.

I'm closing in on the choice of a Noveske upper but I'm now researching an offering by Wilson Combat.

Anyone running a WC upper in .300 BLK that could lend an opinion? The Noveske and the Wilson are close on price.

If there are any officers out there that know of a LEO discount or even a priority buy for one of these uppers, reach out. thanks.

I have experience with the Noveske SS 300 BLK barrels and the Remington 125 GR OTM premier match load is extremely accurate.

Cold
12-01-11, 13:58
Noveske offers a Mil/LEO discount as well.

870pilot
12-01-11, 15:03
thanks, cold... saved me an e-mail. still sitting on the fence

rsilvers
12-01-11, 15:05
Yes, Wilson uppers are in production - not sure if they have them in stock though.

rezin23
12-01-11, 17:22
How far off are we from bonded ammo?

rsilvers
12-01-11, 18:55
Barnes barrier blind ammo is pretty close - possibly even December, but more likely January.

Bonded ammo - I could do bonded ammo with some existing bullet, such as the Nosler Accubond or the Remington Ultra-Bonded Core-Lokt - but they would not have every feature that I want for the ultimate bullet, such as the ideal shape and expansion at low velocity. I decided I only want to do things that are in every way the best they can be based on what I know at the time. Therefore, I am not gonna do them until they can be done exactly how I want them. Remington will have a military barrier-blind round in a year using every thing I know about how to make the best 300 BLK bullet. Based on what comes out of that, I expect a commercial / LE version to follow.

So the answer is - start with the Barnes bullets, and in a year or two there will be lead bonded ammo which may or may not match its performance at lower cost - giving more options.

There will be three more Remington loads in 2012 - and each of them will be awesome at what they are designed to do. They are all-out inspired efforts and not just something quick and dirty. I will make it so.

rezin23
12-02-11, 00:02
That's awesome, your care and dedication to this caliber is why it is taking off so fast.

wilsoncombatrep
12-02-11, 06:42
We generally don't stock many uppers, as it seems everybody wants something a bit different. We sell most of our uppers, built to order. Right now we are in good shape with components, and most custom orders( for uppers ) ship within 2-3 weeks. We'll be glad to build one to your spec's.

wahoo95
12-02-11, 07:42
We generally don't stock many uppers, as it seems everybody wants something a bit different. We sell most of our uppers, built to order. Right now we are in good shape with components, and most custom orders( for uppers ) ship within 2-3 weeks. We'll be glad to build one to your spec's.

When do you expect to have 11.3" barrels back in stock?

wilsoncombatrep
12-02-11, 11:23
Wahoo,
7-8 business days on the barrels....they are finishing up now:)

870pilot
12-02-11, 13:01
ive made up my mind... :D

usmcvet
12-09-11, 17:57

Make sure you share a range report and photos one you get your new upper. A 300 is on my want list too! Are you going the SBR route! I would, it is worth the effort.

Great seeing you in class this week.

Stay Safe.

870pilot
12-09-11, 18:17
hey bro,

first, thanks for hosting the class, and hell, you got a new stock out of the training. i need some advil.

no sbr for me now. i wanna use the .300 blackout as a designated marksman rifle, toss a nice 20 inch bbl on the upper and install my holy grail scope, a Leupy med range tac. if i buy a double rifle case ill toss the .300 upper on one side and my patrol rifle on the other side. will be ready for even World War Z, as discussed. watch your 6.

usmcvet
12-09-11, 18:41
hey bro,

first, thanks for hosting the class, and hell, you got a new stock out of the training. i need some advil.

no sbr for me now. i wanna use the .300 blackout as a designated marksman rifle, toss a nice 20 inch bbl on the upper and install my holy grail scope, a Leupy med range tac. if i buy a double rifle case ill toss the .300 upper on one side and my patrol rifle on the other side. will be ready for even World War Z, as discussed. watch your 6.

Someone else more knowledgeable might chime in but a 6.8 might shine a little more if it is distance is your goal/mission.

Glad it is not just me my thumbs are freaking killing too. Gotta go find some of the wifes lotion.:D

wahoo95
12-09-11, 18:43
Many consider the 300blk most effective inside 300yds. Not sure I'd make it my DMR.

usmcvet
12-09-11, 18:54
I am looking for an 8" or 9" upper myself.

rsilvers
12-09-11, 19:03
Many consider the 300blk most effective inside 300yds. Not sure I'd make it my DMR.

This is for LE use. Typical distances are close - I don't know the statistics, but I think it is almost always within 30 yards. Over the last 10 years, anywhere in the entire US, how many LE shootings were over 100 yards? I don't know the answer but it would not surprise me if the answer was 0. So to pick a longer-range round is actually the compromise - because you are giving up things the 300 BLK has - such as 30 round capacity in normal magazines, low flash/blast, and lower cost ammo.

300 BLK would be perfect for an LE DMR rifle - though I would suggest a 16 inch barrel instead of a 20.

KurtD
12-09-11, 19:06
870Pilot,
WC is proud to give a LEO/Mil discount.....just ask your sales rep when spec'ing your upper. Custom uppers are running under a month, assuming we have the barrel instock. We have some of our 300BLK barrels instock, and have more finishing up now:cool:

I ordered a KZ-45 from Wilson back in 2002, on the phone, from Afghanistan. They put me in the front of the line and it was waiting got me when I got back home.

870pilot
12-09-11, 19:13
This is for LE use. Typical distances are close - I don't know the statistics, but I think it is almost always within 30 yards. Over the last 10 years, anywhere in the entire US, how many LE shootings were over 100 yards? I don't know the answer but it would not surprise me if the answer was 0. So to pick a longer-range round is actually the compromise - because you are giving up things the 300 BLK has - such as 30 round capacity in normal magazines, low flash/blast, and lower cost ammo.

300 BLK would be perfect for an LE DMR rifle - though I would suggest a 16 inch barrel instead of a 20.

rsilvers, we are on the same page for my choice of DMR set up for sure, can i have your opinion behind the choice for a 16 instead of a 20? thanks.

kurtd... cool about WILSON, appreciative for your service, as am I. I was going WILSON before I read your post... I like supporting firms that support folks like yourself.

DocGKR
12-09-11, 21:35
The ave LE sniper shot is far under 100 yds. There is absolutely NO reason for LE to be using a 20" DMR rifle. 16" is the longest I'd go with when using a modern .308 or 6.8 mm semi-auto; some agencies are even using 12.5" 6.8 mm systems. I'd also stick with no longer than 16" barrels for .300 BLK, as well as 5.56 mm ones.

As noted here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19878, 47% of sniper shots were to the head (104/219), while 53% were to the body (115/219). As a result, law enforcement sniper bullets need to exhibit terminal performance which can consistently induce rapid incapacitation with shots to the torso, as well as the head. From 16" barrels, using the top loads, I'd rank the potential effectiveness of LE DMR rifles as follows:

1. .308

2. 6.8 mm

3. .300 BLK

4. 5.56 mm

----------------------------------------------

With a good bonded barrier blind load, .300BLK has the potential to offer outstanding terminal performance for LE use.

870pilot
02-06-12, 11:13
Just an update on the .300 project. worked the ski traffic details for overtime, got the bucks together. Any officer who directs traffic at a ski area knows I earned the money, for sure.

Anyway, I went back to the Wilson Combat site. The 16 inch fluted upper was posted at $1,075 BUT no longer available. Called Wilson, Jason said that the upper which took its place had "extra options I didn't have to pay for" but was now selling for $1,500 and was 10-12 weeks out.

$1,500??? I've spent that much on a rifle before, but not an upper and I told him that this was for law enforcement use, hoping for a good guy discount.

The search continues for a middle ground between CMMG and more than this cop can afford to buy a DMR upper on his own dime. Any suggestions welcomed.

wahoo95
02-06-12, 11:24
Just an update on the .300 project. worked the ski traffic details for overtime, got the bucks together. Any officer who directs traffic at a ski area knows I earned the money, for sure.

Anyway, I went back to the Wilson Combat site. The 16 inch fluted upper was posted at $1,075 BUT no longer available. Called Wilson, Jason said that the upper which took its place had "extra options I didn't have to pay for" but was now selling for $1,500 and was 10-12 weeks out.

$1,500??? I've spent that much on a rifle before, but not an upper and I told him that this was for law enforcement use, hoping for a good guy discount.

The search continues for a middle ground between CMMG and more than this cop can afford to buy a DMR upper on his own dime. Any suggestions welcomed.

Assuming you aren't able to assemble your own, would you be open to having a reputable shop such as ADCO assemble one for you to your specs? It would cost you less $ and you'd have it a lot sooner than waiting on a factory built option.

Wilson should have barrels in stock soon....if you want Wilson. I've been happy with my WC barrel :)

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-Tactical-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR-300RC16F/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Tactical-Lightweight-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-300LW16/

Ballistic Advantage is another option for barrels.

usmcvet
02-06-12, 16:00
870!

I know you can assemble one. My left thumb still hurts from class. If you're missing some of the tools I could mail 'em to ya! Or we could have a gun building day. I have a few stripped lowers inbound.

870pilot
02-06-12, 16:27
870!

I know you can assemble one. My left thumb still hurts from class. If you're missing some of the tools I could mail 'em to ya! Or we could have a gun building day. I have a few stripped lowers inbound.

hey bro... ohhhhhh sure, you know i could get one together. and yes, i recall the thumb pain. i dropped a c note at brownells getting up to speed on small parts and tools. gun building day would be awesome. if i could remember the restaurant downtown we ate at, id buy ya a huge steak and a cold one. be safe, sir.