PDA

View Full Version : Ultrafire C1 review

Sticks
12-01-11, 06:10
Let me start with I use my tac-light for work more than EDC.

I am a field service technician for a concrete paving company. Go outside, and welcome to my office.

I know that there are a great many people that have the "Surefire or nothing, screw that cheap Chinese crap" mentality.

For me, I refuse to pay $60-$140 for a flashlight that I know I will either loose or destroy during the course of my 2500 hour work year.

I have been using the same $25 Ultrafire C1 with a Cree 240 lumen LED for 2 years which replaced the last one I lost, had it for 2 years. Probably still in the ditch on the side of some Colorado highway, just waiting to be turned on (NOTE- don't get out of habit. Done with the light, put it back in your holster.) The Cree LED is the exact same one the Surefire's take, no modifications.

It has been submersed in a variety of liquids, mostly oils and chemicals, dropped from 100 feet (top of a concrete batch plant (it did kill the Cree bulb on that one), bounced it's way to the ground from a large piece of heavy equipment dozens of times, and run over a couple. Never mind how may times it has been flat dropped onto concrete roadways or the rare shop floor.

The tailcap switch is just now starting to get a little flaky. The rubber switch cover is getting funky, probably from the variety of chemicals. Replacement is going to run me $7.

The finish is about 40% worn away, as expected given the abuse. It has a very stout aluminum body that is not dented or egg shaped from the drops or crushing.

For me, the entire Ultrafire line gets a big thumbs up for quality. Given what mine has been subjected to, I have no doubt that the weapon mounts they have available will be just as good, and the light will hold up to the shock of weapon fire.

Batteries. I use my light a lot, so battery costs can add up quick. I buy mine online from Battery Junction.

I buy 100pks of Titanium Innovations, which is a 1400 mAh, PTC protected CR123 cell. They seem to run as long as name brand cells, but at under a dollar per. Actual runtime I can not say, I have never put a fresh set in and left it on till it died.

I've never had any meltdowns or "explosions" from this combination, and the other 7 spare CR123 lights (tried a lot of different brands) that I have in my other vehicles, and the house, after 5 years still no problem, full charge, no corrosion.

So, if you are looking for a good tac-light that won't break the bank, or makes your butt pucker at the thought of losing or breaking it, Ultrafire is your light.

Dennis
12-01-11, 16:11
Sticks, thanks for the real world review.

Ultrafire is generally considered the entry level for quality Chinese lights and it still served your purposes well. This goes along with my continuing point that milling an aluminum tube and inserting some simple circuits and a switch isn't rocket science. While overseas QC may also be in question, you do know that all your smartphones are assembled there as well? It's all a matter of getting what you pay for and the flashlight geek enthusiast community is willing to pay and manufacturers are stepping up to take their business.

Olight, Nitecore, Thrunite, and Sunwayman are a few flashlight makers whose quality is very high with innovative and well detailed lights after years of enthusiast input. The Olight M30, Thrunite Scorpion V2, and Sunwayman V20 are all incredible lights that have worked fine for me after much rough usage. These are not cheap Chinky consumer products made by the lowest bidder.

Check out what you can get for $60 nowadays - A perfectly spec'd tactical light with the latest CREE XM-L LED (lasts brighter and longer), non-complicated two levels via bezel tight/loose, forward clicky, dual springs inside for weapon mounting/shock, and li-ion rechargeable compatible for even longer life and output. For the same price from SF you get half the ouput/runtime, no levels, single spring, and no recharge capability.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-i6.html

Now I still love SF and prefer to buy "American" but they have mostly lost the innovation game and only have quality and their name to stand on now. SF even adopted the horrible Chinese light feature of quick clicks to change output in the Backup and 6PX/G2X Pro models, what were they thinking??? Even the Chinese light manufacturers have moved away from this annoying and tactically unsound feature.

Sorry for the thread hijack but I guess my point is that anyone on this board who cares about innovation, quality, and value should give all the current flashlight makers a look. There are even innovative American manufacturers like www.malkoffdevices.com and American-ish makers like Streamlight and Inova spec'ing out good import lights at a great price.

Dennis.

Sticks
12-01-11, 16:36
I'm certainly not knocking USA made products or companies, just pointing out for some that have the destroy/loss concerns, or are like me, have a hard time justifying over a hundred on a "Flashlight". I thought that I would toss this out there as you stated - real world testing, and obviously over an extended period (not your typical week or month).

I'm going to try their weapon mount system for a whopping $35 (750lm light and pressure pad included) for my AR build. I also did order a Streamlight TLR1-S that is to be dedicated to the AR - Not all that worried about damage or loss having it attached to the rifle.

Dennis
12-01-11, 17:13
I'm going to try their weapon mount system for a whopping $35 (750lm light and pressure pad included) for my AR build. I also did order a Streamlight TLR1-S that is to be dedicated to the AR - Not all that worried about damage or loss having it attached to the rifle.

Personally, I think Ultrafire is below the reliability level I would use on any serious AR but others have had good results. I also do not like any of their weapon mounts as they ARE cheaply made and live down to their import reputation. I do like the TLR1-S although the switch is both the best part of it and it's weakest link in that I see it catching a corner and breaking off since it sticks out so much.

My tough as nails weaponlight is a Malkoff light mounted in a VTAC mount.

Dennis.

Sticks
12-01-11, 17:22
Personally, I think Ultrafire is below the reliability level I would use on any serious AR but others have had good results. I also do not like any of their weapon mounts as they ARE cheaply made and live down to their import reputation. I do like the TLR1-S although the switch is both the best part of it and it's weakest link in that I see it catching a corner and breaking off since it sticks out so much...
Dennis.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you mean Streamlight or commenting on both?

SeriousStudent
12-01-11, 17:28
Dennis, thanks for the heads up on the Sunwayman V20. I have been looking for a light that runs on a pair of AA's, that I do not need a math degree to program or operate.

That looks quite nice.

Dennis
12-01-11, 17:29
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you mean Streamlight or commenting on both?

Sorry for the confusion...

I really like the Streamlight for it's beam profile, output, switching, and overall quality. It's price makes it that much better a deal.

My only concerns are the mounting system needs more than a little PM to stay tight, and the great switch (functionality wise) can possibly catch a corner and be torn off.

Other than that, I wish it was lower profile so I could mount it at 12:00 in front of my BUIS.

Dennis.

Dennis
12-01-11, 17:31
Dennis, thanks for the heads up on the Sunwayman V20. I have been looking for a light that runs on a pair of AA's, that I do not need a math degree to program or operate.

That looks quite nice.

Doh! I meant the V20C with lithium batteries, but the AA V20A is fine too. For even simpler use check out the M20A/C. The continuously variable output on the V series can sometimes take a fine touch.

Dennis.

SeriousStudent
12-01-11, 19:18
Yep, I saw both. I have decided that for a specific set of lights (car, GHB, BOB) I would like to stick to AA batteries due to their availability. Every podunk gas station and C-store has them.

That 458-lumen behemoth using CR-123's does look interesting, though.