PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Track of Magazines

EChryst
12-01-11, 08:42
I'm not a new shooter but I'm not sure where else to post this.

I've noticed many of you mark your magazines in order to keep track of them - not only to locate your personal mags, but to help identify consistent troublemakers.

How do you track these? A spreadsheet? Or is it more that you mark them and make a mental note ("#3 is causing problems")?

SteadyUp
12-01-11, 09:29
Personally, mark my magazines with my initials and a number. If I have trouble with a particular magazine, it gets pulled out of rotation.

I should clarify that before I number the mags, I test for function first, then number them.

Outlaw621
12-01-11, 18:04
When a mag shows a problem, I immediately try to diagnose it and not wait. If it is a FTF problem I will try other ammunition and if the problem persists with a different kind of ammo I will dump the mag. If the mag fails to drop free on 2 or less lowers I dump the mag. If the problem is intermittent and I have a difficult time reproducing the issues than I mark the mag and also note the issues on paper in a small notebook (computer spread sheets are kinds hard to carry with you to the range) to try and track what exactly is causing the problem.

Heavy Metal
12-01-11, 18:54
I am a big believer in Sharpie markers. If a mag ****s up, I put a 'P' for Probation above the number on the base plate. If it pooches again, I cull it and try and fixi it. Failing that, it gets gets scrapped or labeled BAD TRAINING USE ONLY! on several parts of the mag.

BCmJUnKie
12-01-11, 19:08
I number my mags.

If I have a problem mag, wont lock back on last round, FTF etc, I mark the bottom where is not easily seen.

The reason for this, is training.

When I run drills, I like the fact that Im not aware what will happen and when.
Bad mags turn into valuable training tools
I have specific mags that hold my HD ammo.

EChryst
12-01-11, 21:36
This is exactly along the lines of what I am looking for. Thank you fellas. I'm going to added the P/mark to the troublemakers - and deal with them accordingly.

mkmckinley
12-02-11, 09:13
I just got a small brass stencil set and I spray a letter and then a number, 1-7. It makes it easy to keep track of mentally if there's a troublemaker and helps me keep from leaving any behind. The reason I use 1-7 is 7 mags is a basic load. Other than than I don't really use a spreadsheet or anything, I'm not that organized.

militarymoron
12-02-11, 11:07
i just mark my initials on them with a silver or black sharpie - no number. if i mag screws up, i'll keep testing it and if it's bad, i'll discard it or put a big piece of yellow tape around it and use it for a dummy training mag.

Brimstone
12-02-11, 13:35
I mark all of my mags with a number and a discreet identifying mark. My purpose is to identify problem mags and take them out of rotation for diagnostics as well as to identify which mags are mine if I am at the range, out with friends or in a class.

jmoore
12-02-11, 13:39
I use something like 07-1, 07-2, etc., etc. I know I purchased that mag and it went into service in 2007. - john

Vulture38
12-02-11, 18:52
Lots of good suggestions here.