PDA

View Full Version : Help me round out my EDC gear

Chris17404
12-01-11, 11:52
Hi all,

I am looking for some info/suggestions on how I should round out my daily carry gear. I currently carry a Glock 19 in a Dale Fricke Arch Angel holster in the A-IWB position, on a Wilderness tactical Frequent Flyer belt (5-stitch). Other than that, it's just your typical car keys, wallet and cell phone, all in pants pockets... plus my watch on my wrist.

We were at my daughter's school recently for an activity night when the power went out for about 30 seconds. It was completely dark in the school. My kids immediately grabbed for me to stick close. At that moment, I realized I needed to be more prepared. A flashlight would have been nice.

So, here's the list of things I'd like to add to my carry gear. I've listed them in what I *think* are priority order, and there would be times when I don't carry everything.

1. Small flashlight (Surefire) w/ carry pouch.

2. Folding knife that could be used for defense (in pouch on belt or in pocket)

3. Extra Glock 19 mag in pouch on belt (just need the pouch).

4. Small multi-tool in pouch on belt

What specific suggestions do you have for each of these needs? I'm primarily looking for tried and true products that will last, and are low-profile. Please include suggested carry pouches in your replies.

Regarding the multi-tool, this would be my first. I'd probably want a small one for EDC, but also get a larger (matching/same style) one for around the house or camping trips, etc. I've done a little research and these have gotten good review: Leatherman Charge Tti or Skeletool CX, Gerber, SOG, etc.

Anything else I'm missing or things I should be considering? Thanks for your time.

Chris

Sry0fcr
12-01-11, 12:51
First off Beware of carrying too much shit, that usually means that youre looking for hardware solutions to software problems. Think real hard about what you actually need vs what you think would be good to have on your at all times.

1. I don't strap on a light when I get ready to go to work in the morning, I carry a flashlight when the situation dictates. I.E. I'm leaving the house afterdark to me the car is the best place to stow this item. for me it's a G2-Z. You can't really go wrong with Surefire.

2. I have nothing but good things to say about Spyderco's value line for an easily replaceble knock around blade. That said, a folding knife is a poor defensive tool unless you're well trained and are able to pre deploy it. Get yourself a small fixed blade meant for slashing with a retention hole similar to a Hide Away Knife or a La Griffe

3. I don't usually carry a reload personally, I see no practical use for it especially if you're already running around with 15+1 on tap. But I have inquired about having Raven make a "reverse cant" single mag pouch to be worn at about 11 o'clock. But really there's no shortage of workable options here.

4. This is another in-car item IMO but since most have a blade of some sort included if you choose to carry one I'd give up the folder.

markm
12-01-11, 13:37
In the lights out situation, your cell phone would be ok to get some quick modest light.

I just can't get to where I carry a light on my all the time. You could get one of those Key Fob sized LED lights too. When out in the bush, I'll carry one of those on a dog tag chain. But that would be small enough to pocket all the time.

sgtjosh
12-01-11, 13:37
Hi all,

So, here's the list of things I'd like to add to my carry gear. I've listed them in what I *think* are priority order, and there would be times when I don't carry everything.

What specific suggestions do you have for each of these needs? I'm primarily looking for tried and true products that will last, and are low-profile. Please include suggested carry pouches in your replies.

Regarding the multi-tool, this would be my first. I'd probably want a small one for EDC, but also get a larger (matching/same style) one for around the house or camping trips, etc. I've done a little research and these have gotten good review: Leatherman Charge Tti or Skeletool CX, Gerber, SOG, etc.

Anything else I'm missing or things I should be considering? Thanks for your time.

Chris

1. For your light, I would look at the Surefire E1B Back-Up. (http://www.surefire.com/E1B-Backup)

It is small and easily carried. I clip mine inside the front support pocket of my jeans.

It uses 1-123 battery. It has variable output. Dim for maintenance type tasks and bright for "business" purposes.

2. For your knife...Pick one. Pick a price point (you get what you pay for.) It should open (and close) one handed, have a blade at least 3 inches long, and have a clip to secure it. There are literally hundreds. I carry a 15 year old Benchmade Emerson CQC-7. I like Benchmade, because of the Lifesharp Service. (http://www.benchmade.com/about_knives/lifesharp_service.asp) In the past, I have also found Cold Steel to be a tremendous value for a quality knife.

3. Mag Pouch...Decide on kydex or leather and go from there. Kydex is more durable. Leather will take up less real estate. You can further decideif you want it to clip on your belt or use the belt loops.

4. Use price point (you get what you pay for.) and size to guide your multi tool search. I have set of a SOG Power Pliers (http://www.botachtactical.com/sogfs65.html)that I am happy with and carry on duty. I also have a Leatherman Wave (http://www.leatherman.com/product/Wave) in the car door.

1. I don't strap on a light when I get ready to go to work in the morning, I carry a flashlight when the situation dictates. I.E. I'm leaving the house afterdark to me the car is the best place to stow this item. for me it's a G2-Z. You can't really go wrong with Surefire.

3. I don't usually carry a reload personally, I see no practical use for it especially if you're already running around with 15+1 on tap. But I have inquired about having Raven make a "reverse cant" single mag pouch to be worn at about 11 o'clock. But really there's no shortage of workable options here.

4. This is another in-car item IMO but since most have a blade of some sort included if you choose to carry one I'd give up the folder.

1. You should carry a light even if you leave the house at 0800. Power inside a previously lit building can fail (as you mentioned.) You could be delayed past what you thought your day would entail. We do not plan for what we expect. We plan for the unexpected.

3. Carry a reload...always. the magazine is the most failure prone part of your weapon. Once you commit to an engagement, you do not want to be the one who calls "Time out...out of ammo." One is none. Two is one. Three makes perfect sense.

4. I don't carry a multi-tool off duty or when working plain clothes. I carry what I might need IMMEDIATELY. A multi tool is generally not an immediate need. This is an item that can be carried in a book bag, briefcase, or stored in a car or desk drawer.

Concealed carry is inconvenient. That is part of the responsibility. If you do it conveniently by omitting things like a reliable service caliber weapon, light, or spare mag , you are doing it wrong. Dress around your weapon. Don't plan your weapon around your dress. CONCEALED CARRY IS A LIFESTYLE CHOICE.

Pax
12-01-11, 13:38
1. I carry some Surefire every day always, usually a 6PX Pro. I very much disagree that it is a night-only item. Whether looking for small parts on the shop floor, checking under the car seat for whatever youre looking for or if your day takes you somewhere you did not expect to go and you end up out in the dark in need of a reliable light source, my Surefires have been invaluable. They make decent improvised hammers, beer openers and of course impact devices. You cannot always carry your firearm. Consistently carrying your Surefire IWB gives you a reliable go-to for less lethal force. A good hammerfist to the skull with any Surefire in hand will put most if not all two-legged threats down. I would not recommend the Pro series, even for EDC. If I had the extra cash laying around, Id pick up a G2X Tactical. But the 6PX Pro works well enough for me so I cant really justify losing it.

2. Agreed on Spydercos. Not only do they get the job done for a lot less money, but it sucks a lot less when you lose/destroy your EDC knife and it was cheap. Couple months back a Zero Tolerance of mine got ripped out of my pants by some pavement and I didnt notice. Sucks. I carry a folder and a multi-tool. I abuse the folder. I use the multi-tool's knife when I need precision, but not strength in the knife's liner or locking mechanism. I have found few multi-tools with lockup solid enough to inspire faith in serious abuse of the knife. I carry my folder in my hip pocket, multi-tool IWB round 7 o'clock with my Surefire in a combo carrier of my own manufacture.

3. I carry an extra mag for my 19. The only justification I respect is that mag failure happens. I dont expect to be able to realistically speed reload under stress and/or with a threat possibly charging me, but it's not exactly a lot of trouble to carry the extra mag around 11 o'clock IWB and it could save my ass one day. I have no issues with it when seated or bent over.

4. Consider what you need in a multi-tool, buy based on reviews. My SuperTool 300, for example... I use a couple of the tools and most of the others Ive never touched. Consider carry options in terms of what Kydex carriers are available for them, (if that is how you would like to carry it), and as always, consider molding your own Kydex. Combo carriers aint exactly easy but theyre doable. Molding them becomes much easier if you invest in a Kydex molding press. Another necessity IMO for daily carry.

Speaking as someone who carries entirely too much shit on a daily basis, dont carry entirely too much shit on a daily basis. Or if you do, make it fairly covert. Dont walk around town with the cargo pockets of your BDUs about to burst with all the QC, TKs, mags and backup backup knives in them. There is prepared and then there is stupid. Define the line between them for yourself.

markm
12-01-11, 13:38
First off Beware of carrying too much shit, that usually means that youre looking for hardware solutions to software problems. Think real hard about what you actually need vs what you think would be good to have on your at all times.

2. I have nothing but good things to say about Spyderco's value line for an easily replaceble knock around blade. That said, a folding knife is a poor defensive tool unless you're well trained and are able to pre deploy it. Get yourself a small fixed blade meant for slashing with a retention hole similar to a Hide Away Knife or a La Griffe

I disagree to some extent with everything in your reply. :) Have you had any formal Pistol training????
Granted... I often too leave without a light or a spare mag... but not because I'm foolish enough to think those things are not necessary... It's just that I grab and go sometimes with only so many pockets.

Oops... I misread the Spyderco endorsement... I agree with that part.

kdcgrohl
12-01-11, 14:00
I carry alot of shit around with me everyday, and I still have yet to make room for a multi and a light... I need to work on that.

As previously noted, your cell can make a good light. Smartphones usually have an available free app to turn on the camera LED.

Can't offer much help here, need to address this myself.

I've been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion assisted clipped to my pocket for YEARS now. Wore out the assist part a couple times, but it's still easier to open than a regular type(Sorry, I'm not a blade guy, don't know the jargon). It's small, and keeps a good edge. Kershaw has a lifetime warranty last I checked.

3. Extra Glock 19 mag in pouch on belt (just need the pouch). Ready Tactical, IWB@11. Bought mine from SKD Tactical. Can't say enough good about it.

I have an SOG, but don't carry it around. Just too much crap on my belt area already... But I'm sure I'll need it someday and not have it.:suicide:

JohnnyC
12-01-11, 14:45
I carry a Fenix PD20 everywhere. It helps that a flashlight is required for work so I've become accustomed to it in my pocket. The clip design puts it all the way in your pocket so it's very unobtrusive.

As for knives, I don't really have any opinions. I've got a ZT350 and a little Gerber replaceable razor knife thing. Beyond that, it's as much preference as anything and you'd be better off looking at smarter men than I for knife recommendations.

As for extra mag, always. I'll echo the Ready Tactical kydex ones. Inexpensive, comfortable, solid performers. I've used both the pistol and AR mags in training classes and both have performed splendidly and exactly as advertised. I like to carry two, after all mags tend to be the most likely cause of a malfunction. Always at least one.

As far as multi-tools go, I'm a huge Leatherman fan, despite his politics. You name a multi-tool, I've owned it and broken it. I carry one and use it for work everyday and Leatherman's have consistently been the most solid performers. I do not carry it with me everywhere though. To be honest, outside of work, or tucked in an accessible tool box, it rarely gets used, and I've never been in a situation where not having one was any particular hindrance. Sure having one is better than not, but I just don't really use it enough in everyday life.

backfist
12-01-11, 14:47
For a simple, inexpensive, but very decent EDC light, the Jetbeam BC10 is very nice. One CR123, but it is bright and easy to carry. Good backup light.

Naxet1959
12-01-11, 15:15
I have a Kydex mag carrier for my M&P 9c but the one I carry the most is a cell phone holster (back when they weren't all flat faced touchscreens) that covers the mag quite well and is much less "tactical" when wearing a suit...

Sry0fcr
12-01-11, 15:41
1. You should carry a light even if you leave the house at 0800. Power inside a previously lit building can fail (as you mentioned.) You could be delayed past what you thought your day would entail. We do not plan for what we expect. We plan for the unexpected.

I don't often find myself in low light situations aside from the split second that I walk into an empty conference room before I hit the lights. If I did, my cell phone has a fairly bright LED light that I could use to navigate to a better lit area. When it's dark out I'll throw the G2-Z in my pocket and roll.

3. Carry a reload...always. the magazine is the most failure prone part of your weapon. Once you commit to an engagement, you do not want to be the one who calls "Time out...out of ammo." One is none. Two is one. Three makes perfect sense.

I don't go stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things. And I specifically choose to carry a reliable weapon system that isn't prone to failure. Further, I check my gear daily and blow out the lint, dust and wipe everything down every few days. i'm not saying that it's impossible to have a mag related malf, just that the chances of me getting into a deadly force encounter are slim and that having an issue during that encounter much less running a high cap 9mm dry is getting into lottery odds.

4. I don't carry a multi-tool off duty or when working plain clothes. I carry what I might need IMMEDIATELY. A multi tool is generally not an immediate need. This is an item that can be carried in a book bag, briefcase, or stored in a car or desk drawer.

Absolutely. For me a flashlight, multitool and spare mags are not an immediate need. YMMV

Concealed carry is inconvenient. That is part of the responsibility. If you do it conveniently by omitting things like a reliable service caliber weapon, light, or spare mag , you are doing it wrong. Dress around your weapon. Don't plan your weapon around your dress. CONCEALED CARRY IS A LIFESTYLE CHOICE.

I'm not doing it wrong, I'm just doing it my way. My mission drives my gear as should yours.

I disagree to some extent with everything in your reply. :) Have you had any formal Pistol training????
Granted... I often too leave without a light or a spare mag... but not because I'm foolish enough to think those things are not necessary... It's just that I grab and go sometimes with only so many pockets.

I've had pistol training. It's great for learning what to do if you find yourself in trouble, not so great at teaching you how to avoid trouble in the first place. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm all for being prepared for the fight mentally, physically, and equipment wise but I have to balance that with being practical for my own situation.

TAZ
12-01-11, 16:32
SureFire lights are great and will last a life time. You will pay a premium for that though. If you're strapped for cash there are viable alternatives there that will work and not break the bank. Fenix being one of those. I chose the pay once cry once route 4 times and have Surefires everywhere. I carry an weapon mounted light so I always have something available of the real bad crap hits the fan. Most of the time I carry one of the SureFire 6P series in a Comp-Tac light carrier right behind my reload which rides in a Comp-Tac spare mag carrier. Spare mag and light carriers are going to be very much like holsters you're just going to have to experiment and see what works for you. I have had good luck with Comp-Tac stuff, but Raven also makes good kydex. When I forget to strap on the 6P my iPhone has enough umph to get me out of a dark room in case of power failure. I always carry a leatherman skeletoool clipped in my off hand rear pocket. That's more for work than anything. Knives are also personal. Pick a price point and find one that works for you. Make sure it's easy to operate one handed and the locking mechanism is sturdy. My EDC knives are a Strider Sng and/or an Emerson Super 7. When I have my gun with me it's only the Emerson set up for off hand draw. Most other times they are both along for the ride.

ST911
12-01-11, 16:40
Carrying 2-3 guns, reloads for them, folders, and lights is easy when you set your mind to it. It's also not as inconvenient as you might think, nor do you clank when you walk. It's about right-sizing the gear, adjusting the wardrobe a wee bit, and getting used to it.

Having found myself in public venues that are suddenly without electricity, but have an abundance of nervous occupants, I'm never without a light or three.

Shawn.L
12-01-11, 16:46
Just one note. I have had some combatives and edged weapons training, and IME folding knives are a NO GO on fighting blades.

And the same as we tell folks just owning the gun isnt enough, get some training and practice, goes for the blade as well. They can be very effective in certain situations.

I am actually in the habit of carrying a light all the time. Not on the belt though. I clip a Streamlight PT 1L to my pocket every morning.

For my purposes I never need a multi-tool RIGHT NOW, and so having one on me isnt a priority. I keep one, along with other stuff, in my pack, that I can grab if needed.

Aries4570
12-01-11, 20:30
Fenix PD20 -excellent small light that is easy to carry. Goes with me on duty as backup.

Benchmade Triage- Little large for most people but I carry it on duty as well because of the seatbelt cutter and glass breaker.

Always carry a fullsize magazine. My off duty gun is a Glock 27 so I carry a Glock 22 magazine.

Perfect multi tool for everyday carry in my opinion is the Leatherman Juice. I use the knife blade on it for everything so I don't have to keep sharpening the Triage.

polymorpheous
12-01-11, 21:17
4Sevens makes nice, bright, compact lights.
I'll have to agree with the Spyderco sentiment here. Good inexpensive blades.
I also would agree with others, if you are carrying a pistol, you should be carrying a spare mag.
As for the multi-tool.... Sorry, can't help you here.

Backstop
12-01-11, 21:52

2. I like, own, and use either the Benchmade 556 Mini Grip or the 551 Grip. I don't like liner locks, and their Axis lock has never failed me. I use one of my Mini-Grips when I work as a commercial electrician and it's all I'll buy and use for work.

3. I like, own, and use either a leather G&G B851Z double mag pouch or the B850Z single mag pouch for everyday carry. I generally get about 2 years out of them - they get used for carry, classes, and competition. I used the Bianchi equivalent of these for many years, but the last one I bought the leather was cut crooked - thing was a mess. So buyer beware.

hossb7
12-01-11, 21:56
Just follow this simple advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gje6DganwAM

HOTCHKIS
12-02-11, 08:09
A Fenix PD 20 and a Benchmade anytime everywhere! Never know when it's lights out! And of course carrying where it's legal!

Neville
12-02-11, 10:55
Spyderco P'kal (Shivworks design) and a Liteflux LF2XT (1xAAA that puts out 70+lumen) for summer,
Shivworks clinch pick (the ultimate fixed knife to free yourself from a deadly bear hug, carried mid centre
of the body) and Novatac 120T light in winter.

I can't recommend SoutNarc's (Shivworks) knife classes enough. A real eye opener! There is hardly
a sense in carrying a knife for defense if you don't know how to use it. With Southnarc's dirty tricks
it helps you get to your primary weapon in a clinch situation.

JEHalloranIV
12-03-11, 16:25
Spare mag:
Safariland metal clip...lowest pro I've been able to find...
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=CD-Auto

Knife:
Strider WP/Tanto...equipped with IWB loop, small, light, STRONG, can cut, pry, etc, etc...and won't break the bank
http://www.plazacutlery.com/strider/smallfixed/Strider0830306.htm

Light:
Surefire E1B:
http://www.surefire.com/E1B-Backup

I carry these everywhere I go...along w/ G19, keys, wallet, phone, bic lighter...can answer the mail for about any situation you may find yourself in...I wouldn't worry too much about multi-tool

stitchclimber
12-03-11, 19:41
You have good thoughts on updating your carry.

I keep my G19/w/CT grip
As well as an extra mag
Gerber Flik Multi Tool
Kershaw Blur Knife
Leatherman LED light

on me and my jacket at all times.

DWood
12-04-11, 09:12
I don't carry a multitool, but a light, spare mag, and a knife are on my person when I am awake. My daily carry knife is a Benchmade auto opener when I want small and a Microtech auto LUDT when I want slightly larger. They clip securely in the pocket and go almost unnoticed.

Mags are easy in the various kydex pouches available. I have used Raven Concealment and Comp Tac and like both. I am going to order from kytexgear.com because I like his slim design which takes up less room on the belt. Milt Sparks leather pouches are good and also very slim.

I carry my light in a kytex gear light pouch that I shortened for my Nova Tac 120T. A single cell light on the belt in this holster is fast, easy, and secure. I prefer the clicky on the Nova Tac and HDS lights for their style of momentary on compared to the regular forward clicky, but a forward clicky with momentary on is OK. reverse clicky is a no go for me. The holster is sold for a surefire 6P carried bezel up but any 1" light should work in this holster.

There are quite a few AAA key chain carry lights that have a very low, a medium, and a 70 lumen setting. I have a 4sevens Preon on my key chain as a back up. It comes in very handy.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/Lights/EDCLightonBelt.jpg

ggp2jz
12-04-11, 09:22
I use my flashlight everyday it seems. I have a Fenix PD31 but this is the one I keep in my pocket and it just disappears until i need it

http://www.lightjunction.com/iTP-A3-EOS-flashlight.html?cPath=117_106&zenid=40295fa050c537bedb4719cccd832efc

rainman
12-04-11, 09:54
While not nearly the equivalent of a small Surefire (or similar 'real' flashlight), I've been carrying Photon Micro Lights (Princeton and other brands are worthy of consideration) for many years. I have one on the zipper-pulls of most of my jackets, one on my key-ring, and one on my badge-lanyard at work. I'm amazed at how many times they get used...

Drop something under a car seat...the Photon on the key-ring or zipper-pull is right there (the Surefire is in the console).

Someone at work kicks a power or data cable loose under a desk / behind an equipment rack...the Photon on the badge lanyard is right at hand.

Further, in cases of pitch-black (like the aforementioned total loss of lighting), these throw out an incredible amount of useable light.

Battery life is usually outstanding...I've been running some for nearl 10 years without replacing batteries.

-Rainman

luckybychoice
12-04-11, 14:45
I have refined my EDC,my phone has a light,i keep a Streamlight scorpion in the vehicle,i don't mind the extra mags or knife,i abuse the SOG and save the Kershaw for sharp stuffhttp://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/luckybychoice/AK-47022-1.jpg

wahoo95
12-04-11, 15:39
Kytex Gear Mag carriers work great!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_5683.jpg

My Kydex

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_5567.jpg