PDA

View Full Version : 1-4x: S&B Short Dot CQB vs Meopta ZD

buckjay
12-01-11, 15:55
Anyone have experience with the both of these?

For my needs either reticle seems will work, however it seems the Meopta has a 8MOA dot at 1X? Can anyone confirm this as that seems quite large.

cop1211
12-01-11, 21:32
I've been researching the Meopta ZD along with the SWFA, and NF.

From what I've read the Meopta is 2 moa.

Some call it the poor mans short dot.

I cant decide which one I want.:rolleyes:

Singlestack Wonder
12-01-11, 22:12
The Meopta's dot is 2MOA with 2MOA increments between reticle stadia.

CS Tactical's review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-38IX2frOg

WillC
12-01-11, 22:44
Going with a "poor man's" anything will always leave a doubt, if you can afford it, I have never been dissapointed with spending more on certain things.

I figure if you have put the work/money into your rifle, why cheapen/degrade it with cheaper feeding mechanisms (magazines) or optics?

Edited to add: I am a bit partial to S&B glass

cop1211
12-01-11, 22:57
True, but at $900 the Meopta isnt a cheap azz Chinese knock off.

Is the S&B worth 2 1/2 times as much, as far as a practical return?

I dont know.

I just missed out on a S&B by 10 minutes that was up for sale here.

It would be nice if someone with time with both could chime in.

buckjay
12-02-11, 01:32
The Meopta's dot is 2MOA with 2MOA increments between reticle stadia.

CS Tactical's review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-38IX2frOg

2MOA at 4x, correct? If so that would make it 8MOA at 1x.

cop1211
12-02-11, 02:23
I believe it's 2moa at 1x all the way through 4.

buckjay
12-02-11, 02:29
I believe it's 2moa at 1x all the way through 4.

That would imply its FFP - I believe the Z-Dot is SFP?

cop1211
12-02-11, 03:26
I went to brianenos.com and found the info.
These are getting popular with 3 gunners I don't think they would use anything that was 8moa.

bp7178
12-02-11, 08:51
It would be nice if someone with time with both could chime in.

The owner's pool for S&B optics is pretty small, still less is people who've owned both a S&B and Meopta ZD.

There is a sliding scale as to features and cost. Is the S&B $1000 better than a NF NXS? It depends. You're paying for a combination of features which isn't found elsewhere. If you want a red dot built into your scope the only company in the world doing that is S&B and Elcan, but the Elcan is pretty different from typical scope design. All others use different methods to illuminate the reticle. These range from bouncing light off of paint applied to an etched reticle to fiber optics.

The Swarvoski Z6i is pretty popular in 3-gun circles too, very close or at the price point of the S&B though.

buckjay
12-02-11, 15:00
I went to brianenos.com and found the info.
These are getting popular with 3 gunners I don't think they would use anything that was 8moa.

Pretty sure it is 8MOA at 1x. Its either 2MOA at 1x and 0.5MOA at 4x or 8MOA at 1x and 2MOA at 4x...

I called and asked the guys at CSTactical who did that youtube video review and he says its 2MOA at 4x and said it must be 8MOA at 1x.. :blink:

cop1211
12-02-11, 15:23
Hmmm. I have to do more research if it's 8 then it's out.

IrishDevil
12-02-11, 17:20
The Meopta is SFP, 2 MOA at 4x. I use a K-Dot On my 3-gun rifle, and I have no problem shooting head boxes, 6" plates, and 8" plates at 100 yards on 1x. I don't own a Z-Dot yet, but I have tried one out and it's GTG. I like the reticle better than the K-Dot. IMO, you really only have 3 choices in daylight visible 1-4's: Meopta, S&B, Trijicon. I currently own the Meopta and Trijicon, and have a good amount of time on the S&B Short Dot. The Swarovski Z6i is probably my next scope purchase.

Singlestack Wonder
12-02-11, 17:24
Deleted...

buckjay
12-02-11, 19:01
The Meopta is SFP, 2 MOA at 4x. I use a K-Dot On my 3-gun rifle, and I have no problem shooting head boxes, 6" plates, and 8" plates at 100 yards on 1x. I don't own a Z-Dot yet, but I have tried one out and it's GTG. I like the reticle better than the K-Dot. IMO, you really only have 3 choices in daylight visible 1-4's: Meopta, S&B, Trijicon. I currently own the Meopta and Trijicon, and have a good amount of time on the S&B Short Dot. The Swarovski Z6i is probably my next scope purchase.

Most of my plates are 6" which I keep out at 100Y - the reticle would cover the entire plate, correct?

bp7178
12-02-11, 19:09
If its second focal plane 2 MOA at 4x, it would cover a tick more than 2" at 100 yards.

It would be 8 ish on 1x. Since the magnification probably isn't exactly 1x, it may be a bit under 8.

For what you would be using it on 1x for, I don't consider that a huge deal breaker.

By comparison, the S&B Short Dot LE (SFP) is a bit over 4 moa on 1x, and a bit over 1 moa on 4x.

Alaskapopo
12-02-11, 23:27
The owner's pool for S&B optics is pretty small, still less is people who've owned both a S&B and Meopta ZD.

There is a sliding scale as to features and cost. Is the S&B $1000 better than a NF NXS? It depends. You're paying for a combination of features which isn't found elsewhere. If you want a red dot built into your scope the only company in the world doing that is S&B and Elcan, but the Elcan is pretty different from typical scope design. All others use different methods to illuminate the reticle. These range from bouncing light off of paint applied to an etched reticle to fiber optics.

The Swarvoski Z6i is pretty popular in 3-gun circles too, very close or at the price point of the S&B though.

I prefer the Swarovski Z6i to the S&B. Mostly because of the 6x on the top end. The Z6i's reticle is also very bright even at noon with no clouds in the sky.
Pat

bp7178
12-02-11, 23:42
I think I wrote it in another thread or something, I think Swaro's most intresting product is the illuminated 1.7-10 with the ballistic turret. Combine that with a RMR or T-1 on a offset, and that may be one bad ass combo.

buckjay
12-03-11, 00:56
I just heard from someone who has one who says its 2MOA at 1x and 0.5MOA at 4x..

Alaskapopo
12-03-11, 00:56
I think I wrote it in another thread or something, I think Swaro's most intresting product is the illuminated 1.7-10 with the ballistic turret. Combine that with a RMR or T-1 on a offset, and that may be one bad ass combo.

That would not be bad but at that point you might as well go with a 2-12 Swarovski Z6i
Pat

cop1211
12-03-11, 01:12
I just heard from someone who has one who says its 2MOA at 1x and 0.5MOA at 4x..

You talking about the Meopta ZD?

buckjay
12-03-11, 01:16
You talking about the Meopta ZD?

Yeahp

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/10/review-of-the-meopta-zd-1-4x22-part-i/

This shit is too confusing. Some people are saying 2MOA at 4x, some are saying 2MOA at 1x! :suicide2:

cop1211
12-03-11, 01:20
Yeahp

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/10/review-of-the-meopta-zd-1-4x22-part-i/

This shit is too confusing. Some people are saying 2MOA at 4x, some are saying 2MOA at 1x! :suicide2:

Exactly, I'm right there with ya bud!:D

bp7178
12-03-11, 01:26
Just need to figure out at what magnification it's 2 MOA.

2 MOA at 1x would about 1/2 MOA on 4x

Likewise, 8 MOA at 1x would be about 2 MOA on 4x.

These are only approximations. The actual, not listed, magnifications will effect things.

Isn't this listed on Meopta's website?

cop1211
12-03-11, 02:00
Fark it!

I had been debating for a week between the Meopta ZD, a used S&B, or a NF fc-2.

If I were going into a war zone, or if I wasnt a cop with a wife and 4 kids:p I'd get the S&B.

I just ordered the Meopta ZD brand new for $849 shipped.

buckjay
12-03-11, 02:03
Fark it!

I had been debating for a week between the Meopta ZD, a used S&B, or a NF fc-2.

If I were going into a war zone, or if I wasnt a cop with a wife and 4 kids:p I'd get the S&B.

I just ordered the Meopta ZD brand new for $849 shipped.

Nice man! I'm still tempted to get one myself and compare it with the Short Dot I have on the way (I think I'm the one who snagged the S&B you had your eyes on :D). I've got two kids so the price difference is still pretty hefty... can't imagine 4 kids! :haha:

cop1211
12-03-11, 03:03
Are youths bastage that beat me by 10 minutes on that S&B:D

Let me know how you like it, and I will let you know how the ZD is.
It would be nice if you get the ZD and do a comparison.

That would help out a good number of people.

TehLlama
12-03-11, 08:13
Are youths bastage that beat me by 10 minutes on that S&B:D

You'd have beaten my by five minutes...

I figure I'll eventually cave in and replace my TR24 with a CQB ShortDot, but in my experience behind the short dot, it's not exactly $1300 more optic, it's that it does the job of a $600 optic the same time it does the job of a $1400 optic for less bulk than the two of them separately. If it was a pure cost argument, a NF NXS Compact and AP T-1 on offset mount does the same thing, but you know you're not being that efficient when the SD is the lighter option.

cop1211
12-03-11, 12:22
That's why I went with the Meopta ZD.
For my intended use of duty/SWAT from cqb/200 yards I don't think the better glass of the S&B would make any difference .
Hell I know an rds would be fine in that role.

But I like the 1-4 scopes for the options that they offer even at 100 yards.

From what I haveread, seen, and been told, the Meopta ZD will fit the bill just fine. I'm excited to get it and see what it can do.

Belmont31R
12-03-11, 12:51
That's why I went with the Meopta ZD.
For my intended use of duty/SWAT from cqb/200 yards I don't think the better glass of the S&B would make any difference .
Hell I know an rds would be fine in that role.

But I like the 1-4 scopes for the options that they offer even at 100 yards.

From what I haveread, seen, and been told, the Meopta ZD will fit the bill just fine. I'm excited to get it and see what it can do.

Do you work at night? SB glass is excellent for low light situations.

Do a side by side test with something like a NF or some of the other scopes mentioned. We did it with a NF 1-4X, 2.5-10X, and a SD. The SD was much brighter than either of the NF optics looking at the same target at the same time of day. We were shooting a steel target at 100 yards which was painted black, and was hanging in front of a darker dirt berm. When looking through the NF it was hard to pick out the edges of the target as it blended into the berm. With the SD you could easily pick up the outline and the whole target in general.

During the day its harder to differentiate between glass but low light is where a $2500 scope will earn its keep. The day light visible dot has put it ahead of most of its peers. The Swaro Z6i is also a good optic I just don't like the capped turrets. I prefer externally adjustable locking with zero stop.

Here is a Z6i at a good price. No affiliation with Eurooptic other than a customer: http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-z6-1-6x26-cd-i-illum-circle-dot-reticle.aspx

cop1211
12-03-11, 14:51
I saw that Swarovski and it looks nice. I have 3 Tr24's and have used those at night out to 100 yards with good results.
I think the Meopta's glass is supposed to be better. And with the Meopta's illumination it should be easier.
I just sold my Benelli M4 and one of my rifles to fellow officers on payment plans. I'm going to do a 14.5 rifle that I' ll probably go with a S&B. I can put one on layaway at BearBasin , or pick up a nice used one.But the Meopta could be enough.

Belmont31R
12-03-11, 15:07
I saw that Swarovski and it looks nice. I have 3 Tr24's and have used those at night out to 100 yards with good results.
I think the Meopta's glass is supposed to be better. And with the Meopta's illumination it should be easier.
I just sold my Benelli M4 and one of my rifles to fellow officers on payment plans. I'm going to do a 14.5 rifle that I' ll probably go with a S&B. I can put one on layaway at BearBasin , or pick up a nice used one.But the Meopta could be enough.

I would contact SB USA. They have a very good LEO/MIL discount and ordering program. I bought one through them and the SB USA CEO took care of my order personally.

I don't know what their current prices are but at the time I had a respectable dealer tell me I got it for less than what his dealer price was. It was under 2k shipped when most used ones are going for 1500-2k depending on condition, included mounts, ect.

ETA: What I did was email them a scan of my credentials, and then they email you a PDF of what optics are included in their discount program. Then tell them what you want, payment, and availability. They don't keep everything on hand as they are mainly just there for importation to US dealers. If they don't have something in stock in can be 2-3 months before they get more from the factory in Germany.

Eurooptics doesn't state they have a mil/leo discount but I asked and they gave me a nice discount on stuff before. Im not mil anymore so I gotta pay full retail anymore but just different options to check out depending on how long you want to wait or whats in stock at the moment.

cop1211
12-03-11, 15:42
Thanks for the info. The other officers will be done with their payments in 5 months so that will give me 3,500 from those firearms sales. So that should give me 2,000 that I could spend for the S&B, and 1,500 towards a new rifle. That would only leave me with coming up with another 800-1000 to complete the rifle with the S&B:D