PDA

View Full Version : TR24 Questions

dlrob
12-01-11, 21:19
I've run some searches but I can't find exactly what I need or I find conflicting information. I want to buy a TR24 package but I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger.
-From where my cheekweld is, me eye is a little over 3 inches from the charging handle, as a reference point. Do I need an extended eye relief mount?
-Is it just a matter of opinion between LaRue and ADM mounts?
-Any concensus of opinion between red or green triangle?
Thanks for the help. I've run aimpoints forever but I'm new to the magnified scope arena.

cop1211
12-01-11, 21:28
I have 3 of the TR24's.

I run NTCH and use the extended mounts, I have Larue 1.93

ADM, as well as the Bobro are also fine mounts. I actually like the Bobro the best.

The standard should be fine if your 3 inches from the ch.

I have 2 green and one red, both are very nice. I prefer the red.

Try to get to your local fun store and check out which one you prefer.

bp7178
12-01-11, 21:38
No, you don't really need the extended mount. I've used both with similar optics, and I like the standard better.

I like the Larue mounts better. The older ADM mounts only had a six point hex head bolt to adjust tension, and one was on the loose side, the next was way too tight. I've read they've since went to eight point hex head bolts, so look for that. Ordering direct from ADM will make sure you have the most current.

That isn't an issue with the Larue mounts, as the tension is adjusted in a different manor. I also like the way the Larue rings attach. Opossing screws, and less of them. The one thing I hated about my ADM mounts was the copious amount of oil they are shipped in. It's an aluminum mount, I never understood why they did that.

As for reticle, some will say your eye can pick up green easier. This isn't exactly true. Your eye can see more shades of green than any other color. This isn't the same as drawing your eye to it, just a perception of shades.

I had a TR24G, and if I were to do it again I would get the red. Ive been looking through red dots for years, and it seemed much more natural to look for the illuminated red reticle.

One of the best scopes I've owned, and a bargin at its price point.

Exiledviking
12-01-11, 22:03
I have mine mounted in a GG&G LFT mount. The FLT is one of the lightest mounts available and it is in the same price range as the others mentioned here.
I have the red triangle and I like it a lot.
I tend to have my nose about 1-2" behind the charging handle and the GG&G worked out well. See post #10 for pics of my rig.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60354

BrigandTwoFour
12-02-11, 11:14
My eye runs about the same position as you. I use the ADM Recon-H mount (1.93) and not extended. I accidentally mounted the scope a little too far forward in the rings and find that I need to lean into the scope a bit more when I have it at 4x. At 1X it is perfect, though.

ra2bach
12-02-11, 13:10
ya know, I hear Trijicon is going to introduce a few surprises at this year's Shot Show...

:dirol:

cop1211
12-02-11, 14:13
Like what don't be a tease!

bp7178
12-02-11, 18:40
Trijicon doesn't like to put much out there on what they're doing.

The people that actually do know, won't say anything.

The rumor is an updated Accupoint, and the battery powered ACOG has already been seen at a trade show.

seb5
12-02-11, 20:51
I've also heard rumor from 2 people in the know to look forward to a 2 MOA T-1.

bp7178
12-02-11, 22:10
There was a post on LF whereas an industry guy said they already exist for some, the 2 MOA T-1.

I've seen tons of cool shit at Shot then come July it still isn't at retail.

Or in S&B's case, over a year and a half go by and it still isn't at retail.

ra2bach
12-02-11, 22:32
Like what don't be a tease!

I know ab-so-lute-ly nuthin'... but that's been the rumor for so many years around this time that I just had to stir the pot...

:p

dlrob
12-02-11, 23:15
Thanks for all the help. One more question. I know the LT-104 will fit with Troy fold down rear sights but Grant's out of stock on that package. Will the American Defense Recon mount work with the Troy sights?

bp7178
12-02-11, 23:26
Yes.

I had to type down here beacuse "Yes." isn't enough letters to post a message.

HOTCHKIS
12-03-11, 08:07
On my 3 gun AR with A2 stock I use the LaRue extented eye relief with my TR24A! Works perfect!

BrigandTwoFour
12-03-11, 20:53
The ADM Recon-H clears my 1st gen MBUS, so shouldn't be any issue with Troys.