PDA

View Full Version : Assisted, or unassisted?

Swstock
12-02-11, 12:29
I am considering purchasing a knife.

I am looking at the CKRT M21-14 SF and the 1091K.

The 1091k is assisted, but the I think M21-14 SF would be better because a hand cant slide toward the blade.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Generalpie
12-03-11, 20:53
I just spent a couple hours finger banging a bunch of knives and ended up with a sog. The assist is fantastic and I can't see myself buying any folder without an assist.

Fwiw i like the assist option that operates with your index finger. It seems much natural. I liked my ckrt and wouldn't hesitate to own another but if the question is assist or not, for me thats a no brainer

TRUST8383
12-19-11, 18:42
I am considering purchasing a knife.

I am looking at the CKRT M21-14 SF and the 1091K.

The 1091k is assisted, but the I think M21-14 SF would be better because a hand cant slide toward the blade.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Of the two posted, I would pick up the "My Tighe" 1091k assisted blade. Especially for carry. There's just something sexy about an assisted blade, lol.

I have the CRKT M21-14SF and I never carry it anymore because of the double hilt. They always seem to get in the way, snag on my pocket when I try to pull it out, or scratch things when it sits in my pocket. That's not to say it's not a good knife. It is razor sharp out of the box and very generous in size for a pocket folder. In fact it's rather large.

Here's a pic of my M21

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/GEAR/11666e31.jpg

I will agree with the poster above me who suggested a SOG Flash II. I picked up a couple as stocking stuffers for friends this year and they are great EDC blades. I got them for $37 shipped on amazon which is a great price! Nice smooth action, assisted blade opens swiftly and locks up tight, and they are very sharp as well.

Here's a pic of the sog along with my EDC blade for comparison.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/JFLOINDUSTRIES/Blades/6628e803.jpg

mkmckinley
12-22-11, 03:55
I prefer a good unassisted. With the right design you don't give up anything in terms of speed but there's less chance of it opening in your pocket and no spring mechanism to get gritted up/sticky or wear out. A Spyderco Sage or one of their American made knives is more reliable to open than most assisted and just as fast.

I'm not any kind of ninja blade expert but the limited self-defense-with-a-knife training I've had recommended an unassisted with a big, positive hole or thumb stud for deployment.

Jim D
12-22-11, 11:18
I wouldn't carry a folder to be used as a weapon anyway, so I would just go with what you like.

I used to think an assisted knife would be better for "fighting". Then I got some training and looked at each step of the deployment of a folding knife from a pocket... and I gave up on folders. Most everyone I know who've done FOF evolutions with folders has lost them the majority of the time access is attempted.

An assisted folder with the flipper on the back... you need to grab it from where it's clipped, shift your grip up towards the top where the flipper is, pinch the handles between your thumb and middle finger while you press the flipper with your index finger, control the knife while the blade snaps open and has that jolt (different depending on spring strength, blade vs. handle weight, etc), then shift your grip again to actually use the blade.

Who thinks they can do that while they're being punched in the face?

I prefer non-assisted now because I feel they're simpler and don't have as many parts to wear out/ fail. I just use a Benchmade simple folder (525) and I've been pleased with it for everyday tasks. If I lost it or needed another, I'd get a flat-ground Spyderco Delica this time around.

If you find the assisted mechanism helpful, go for it. Again, I don't think either mechanism will give you a high probability of in-fight access, so it really doesn't matter how fast you can open it to cut up boxes.

Sry0fcr
12-22-11, 13:12
I wouldn't carry a folder to be used as a weapon anyway, so I would just go with what you like.

I used to think an assisted knife would be better for "fighting". Then I got some training and looked at each step of the deployment of a folding knife from a pocket... and I gave up on folders. Most everyone I know who've done FOF evolutions with folders has lost them the majority of the time access is attempted.

An assisted folder with the flipper on the back... you need to grab it from where it's clipped, shift your grip up towards the top where the flipper is, pinch the handles between your thumb and middle finger while you press the flipper with your index finger, control the knife while the blade snaps open and has that jolt (different depending on spring strength, blade vs. handle weight, etc), then shift your grip again to actually use the blade.

I prefer non-assisted now because I feel they're simpler and don't have as many parts to wear out/ fail. I just use a Benchmade simple folder (525) and I've been pleased with it for everyday tasks. If I lost it or needed another, I'd get a flat-ground Spyderco Delica this time around.

If you find the assisted mechanism helpful, go for it. Again, I don't think either mechanism will give you a high probability of in-fight access, so it really doesn't matter how fast you can open it to cut up boxes.

This, all of this. All of this times 1,000.

Spiffums
12-22-11, 19:42
I have a Benchmade 710 and 2 Enduras that I carry most of the time for a "tactical" knife. I also carry a Leek for my social knife and for general cutting. The assist is nice on the smaller knife but I don't know how useful it would be on a bigger blade.

luvmy40
12-22-11, 22:27
The M21 is a great folder but, while the double sided guard can be used in a similar manor as the Wave feature, it also can get in the way if you don't need/want quick deployment. I love the size and blade design of both of my M21's but they can be a bit of a challenge to deploy.

maximus83
12-28-11, 17:31

Already said better than I could say it. I don't like assisted openers in general for the simple fact that I've had several of them (mostly by SOG and Benchmade and Buck, for instance a couple years ago I had the SOG FLASH), and every one I've had has had issues with springs or reliability much sooner than my non-assisted openers. The principle is simple: there's more stuff to go wrong on assisted openers, and eventually if you use them long enough without maintenance, it usually does. So, I say get one you like that's a quality and reliable knife, avoid the assisted type, and just buy quality. In production knives, it's hard to beat some of the simple, non-assisted openers by Spyderco and Benchmade. I own several of each and could give suggestions on those that have strong locks and good steel. Most recently I bought a Spyderco Para Military 2 (s30v steel, excellent compression lock, fully ambi clip, 3.5" blade that is 0.140" thick). This is one of the best all-around carry blades I've ever had in terms of ruggedness, light weight, and durabiliyt. And for "short-carry-blade" areas, I also got a sheeple-friendly Spyderco with a 3" blade, the Spyderco Native with s35vn steel and a powerful back lock.

indawire
12-28-11, 18:37
I've got several Kershaw assisted openers that have been in daily use for several years now. All three have been trouble free from a mechanical standpoint. No special treatment, just use and what I would consider normal maintance. ie: wash out, blow dry and lube the inners after getting full of dirt etc. They tend to be priced lower than some other brands esp. if you can make a deal at a gun show. I prefer the assisted openers, it just seems that there is less arm/hand movement required to get them open.