PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Flashlight + CR123 Through USPS

outrider627
12-02-11, 13:31
10.20.5 Primary Lithium (Non-Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries

Small consumer-type primary lithium cells or batteries (lithium metal or lithium alloy) like those used to power cameras and flashlights are mailable with the following restrictions. Each cell must contain no more than 1.0 gram (g) of lithium content per cell. Each battery must contain no more than 2.0 g aggregate lithium content per battery. Additionally, each cell or battery must meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, and subsection 38.3 as referenced in DOT's hazardous materials regulation at 49 CFR 171.7. All primary lithium cells and batteries must be mailed within a firmly sealed package separated and cushioned to prevent short circuit, movement, or damage. Except for batteries installed in equipment, they must be in a strong outer package. All outer packages must have a complete delivery and return address. Primary lithium cells and batteries are mailable as follows:

a. Via surface transportation when the cells or batteries (not packed with or installed in equipment) are “in the originally sealed packaging.” They are forbidden aboard passenger aircraft. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Surface Mail Only, Primary Lithium Batteries - Forbidden for Transportation Aboard Passenger Aircraft.” The mailpiece must not exceed 5 pounds.

b. Via surface or air transportation when the cells or batteries are properly packed with or properly installed in the equipment they operate and the mailpiece has no more than the number of batteries needed to operate the device. Cells or batteries properly installed in the device they operate must be protected from damage and short circuit, and the device must be equipped with an effective means of preventing accidental activation. The outside of the package must be marked on the address side “Package Contains Primary Lithium Batteries.” The mailpiece must not exceed 11 pounds.

At some point soon, I'm gonna need to ship some flashlights. One of them will be a TLR in its factory packaging with two CR123s, the other is a Polytac with batteries installed. If I'm reading this correctly, both items are covered under subsection b.

Here's a pic of the TLR box (borrowed from decodeddiesel):

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1015.jpg

Should I be GTG shipping these items through USPS?

RD62
12-03-11, 12:44
I've done it no problem.

I never even really thought twice about it.

orionz06
12-04-11, 00:23
I just ship them if separated but I won't have the batteries in any light in case they turn on.

ucrt
12-04-11, 09:18

I have received and shipped lithium batteries & lights many times without incident. I always had them shipped to me by Midway or whomever by UPS Ground without any specially marked packages but the package was, at most, a dozen or two batteries and/or a light or two.

Looks like the concern is shipping large quanities of cheap (Chinese) batteries through the air. 5 pounds of batteries is a LOT of batteries.