PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Dynamics- The Art of the Precision Rifle

jaydoc1
12-02-11, 19:37
Just in time for Christmas, it's now available for pre-order. Say what you want, it looks like there is a lot of useful information packed into these 5 dics.

Magpul's Art of the Precision Rifle is now available for pre-order and will be shipping to dealers and distributors mid-December. The Art of the Precision Rifle features nearly ten hours of actual live fire class instruction and additional instructional material.

Precision Rifle Expert Todd Hodnett and Magpul Dynamics Instructors Chris Costa, Travis Haley, Steve Fisher, Mike Olivella and Caylen Wojcik cover the fundamentals and "how to" aspects of long range shooting, advanced techniques and formulas, military and law enforcement sniping, precision shooting gear, and the sniper mindset.

Here is the full five-disc breakdown:

DISC ONE (142 min)
Course Part 1
Intro
Rifle Setup
Zeroing
Reticles
Truing
Special Features
- Ballistics
- Cold Bore vs. Clean Bore
- Trace

DISC TWO (133 min)
Course Part 2
Broken Scope Field Zero
Accuracy 1st Wind Formula
Wind Course (Part 1, 2, Wrap Up)
The One Mile Shot
Wrap Up
Special Features
- Mindset

DISC THREE (126 min)
USMC Fundamentals
The Sniper
The USMC Sniper
The Law Enforcement Sniper
Tools of the Military Sniper
Military Semi-Auto Weapons
Data Books
Exercises
- Dialing and Scope Calibration
- The Milling Exercise
- Natural Point-of-Aim
Quick Reference Drills
- Rapid Bolt Manipulation
- Tac Reload
- Speed Reload
- Reaction Side Bolt Manipulation

DISC FOUR (97 min)
Gear
Bolt Action
Semi-Automatic
Ancillary Gear
Rifle Optics
Muzzle Accessories
Support Equipment

DISC FIVE (93 min)
Bonus Features
Additional Course Material
Unconventional Positions
Long Range Trajectory
The TReMoR Reticle
Cleaning
Raising the Bar
Bonus Material
- Bloopers
- The Whiz Wheel
- Reading Wind
- Formula Review
- More from Magpul (Trailers)

(Disc content copied and pasted from Magpul Dispatch #20"

blackbox
12-03-11, 03:45
i just paid on my preorder for the vids. looking forward to see some excellent tactics with tips/drills to help improve my shooting... mr todd hodnett is a legend in his own class!

ForTehNguyen
12-03-11, 09:03
ridiculous, 10 hours of material. Do want

a0cake
12-03-11, 09:36
I'm sure there's some good stuff in those DVD's but seeing them shoot long range with that 90 degree cant they love so much annoys me. I'm not sure I even see the merit in CQB over cars etc., so I definitely think it's retarded at long range.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-03-11, 10:54
I'm sure there's some good stuff in those DVD's but seeing them shoot long range with that 90 degree cant they love so much annoys me. I'm not sure I even see the merit in CQB over cars etc., so I definitely think it's retarded at long range.

It is not only in tactical situations where that is useful. Many 3-gun competitions will have you shoot with the gun canted 45 or 90.

One thing I have noticed with Magpul's training and the Viking tactics book is that they are about not getting shot while being able to shoot- with the emphasis on not getting shot versus the best shooting position.

a0cake
12-03-11, 11:21
It is not only in tactical situations where that is useful. Many 3-gun competitions will have you shoot with the gun canted 45 or 90.

One thing I have noticed with Magpul's training and the Viking tactics book is that they are about not getting shot while being able to shoot- with the emphasis on not getting shot versus the best shooting position.

I do tend to view things solely from the tactical side, so I didn't think about 3 gun. But these videos / classes are not geared toward gun gamers. I still see no circumstance where canting the rifle 90 degrees and shooting at a medium to long range (let's call it 300m+) is beneficial. The one or two inches of additional cover that you can use does not come close to making up for the loss in precision that comes with canting the rifle 90 degrees. Train it all you want, your shot still won't be as precise as a normal one due to obvious factors. I'll take 100% confidence in eliminating the threat over an inch or two of cover.

3 gun may be another story as it's not my sport. I don't know why anybody would feel that setting up a lane where you must take a long range 90 degree canted shot is practical or realistic though. It's basically a trick shot IMO.

orkan
12-03-11, 13:05
Train it all you want, your shot still won't be as precise as a normal one due to obvious factors. I'll take 100% confidence in eliminating the threat over an inch or two of cover

Amen!

Let's not forget that the first purpose of a company is to make money. The hype surrounding long range shooting is being cashed in on by a great many companies.

Want to know my plan for not getting shot in a firefight? Eliminate the person or persons shooting at me as fast and as accurately as possible. Canting my rifle will NOT aid me in doing that.

It'll sure sell some DVD's though I bet.

rickp
12-03-11, 18:59
I hear what a lot of you are saying and I don't agree to a certain extent. One thing I learned while running around in a hostile country engaging and being engaged is you never know what you might have to do or the circumstances that you might have to do them in. I won't say what is practical and certainly not what might be realistic, one just never knows. I'll leave it at that.

R.

Dozer
12-03-11, 19:58
No one here as watched the DVDs so you really don't know the reason as to why they were shooting that way. Anyone ever hear of unconventional shooting positions?

a0cake
12-03-11, 20:17
Think fast Dozer. You're taking a 500 yard shot with a .308 platform. Your elevation adjustment is 3.5 mils. Now, cant your rife 90 degrees to the left. Quickly, tell me WTF you're doing to hit the target. You have no idea without looking it up. I won't even add a crosswind to the problem.

Take my point? You're supporting the technique, so let's see how long it takes you to come up with the answer to the above question. Is your target still in the same area code?

Intentionally canting a rifle has no place in long range shooting.

Now, if they're doing it for short range targets because they're training on fighting close range with a precision rifle, then fine. But it does not appear that way. Do you know the circumstances surrounding said event? If it's close range I'll shut up and say good for them.

PS. No personal disrespect intended here. I just reread my reply and understand that it comes across as confrontational and personal. It's not.

Dozer
12-03-11, 20:25
I am not a long distance shooter so I will not speculate. The only distance shooting I did was in the Corps with open sights.

Again, none here have watched the DVDs so speculating to the techniques used only illustrates my point.

Raven Armament
12-03-11, 20:49
Oh, sweet! Been waiting for this to come out for a long time. Starting to look into getting a setup for long range and learn the basics. This video looks like it will get me on the right track.

Dano5326
12-03-11, 23:23
Anyone that speaks in absolutes is happily limited is experience. Dogmatic methodologies are for amateurs. The comfort zone is the kill zone.

LE, benchresters, hobby shooters, often can not think in a 360 degree orb of responsibility or the of shooting positions required in military operations in varied terrain. When patrolling down the side of a ridge, PKMs start flogging you from the next ridge, the usual 1st barrage of RPG's come in and your hoping not to hear 82mm mortars whistle in... one does not prone out with ass above head,square up to the perceived tgt, exposing nearly all ones body, & 6-7" of head above the line O bore... to try recreate the ideal body position learned on one way square ranges. You need to reduce the enemy from a cover position appropriate to the threat, w/o creating a signature that garners ballistic attention.

We used to giggle a little at the opposition combatants that fully exposed their head and upper body, fully over line o bore, showing above rooftops or rocky precipices. InShallah, be that guy.

If you can't shoot a canted rifle your understanding of the math of your zero, bore offset, optics reticle and external ballistics of your cartridge is limited. And, if you fully realize the effects of even subtle canting, your much more likely to recognize mistakes often attributed to "wind"

If one doesn't have the time to invest or maintain a higher skillset, at least you know your limitations. 99.9% of drivers can't left foot brake, trail brake, or brake drift.. required race winning techniques. Mocking what your not capable of or don't understand... helps keep the world flat.

MaceWindu
12-04-11, 01:49
I don't post often, but Dano5326, just dropped the LOGIC BOMB. BOOM...

Mace

d90king
12-04-11, 06:22
This is the first MP DVD that I have had interest in. For those of you that think that Tod H can't teach you something about long range shooting you are complete morons. Period. Stick to your bench rest shooting (and try not to fall asleep) while the rest of us continue to try and learn. If you notice (oh wait you haven't actually seen what you are bitching about) when they are using those unconventional shooting positions that they are putting hits on target.... Isn't that all that matters?

I was also a big believer of "taking the best shot that I could and didn't care about a few extra inches being exposed" ... Then I tried clearing a structure at USTC and learned pretty quick that those few inches DO matter.

One last tid bit... Try and learn professional courtesy. This thread is in MP's industry forum so STFU or take your post over to ARF where you will fit in nicely.

rickp
12-04-11, 08:33
Anyone that speaks in absolutes is happily limited is experience. Dogmatic methodologies are for amateurs. The comfort zone is the kill zone.

LE, benchresters, hobby shooters, often can not think in a 360 degree orb of responsibility or the of shooting positions required in military operations in varied terrain. When patrolling down the side of a ridge, PKMs start flogging you from the next ridge, the usual 1st barrage of RPG's come in and your hoping not to hear 82mm mortars whistle in... one does not prone out with ass above head,square up to the perceived tgt, exposing nearly all ones body, & 6-7" of head above the line O bore... to try recreate the ideal body position learned on one way square ranges. You need to reduce the enemy from a cover position appropriate to the threat, w/o creating a signature that garners ballistic attention.

We used to giggle a little at the opposition combatants that fully exposed their head and upper body, fully over line o bore, showing above rooftops or rocky precipices. InShallah, be that guy.

If you can't shoot a canted rifle your understanding of the math of your zero, bore offset, optics reticle and external ballistics of your cartridge is limited. And, if you fully realize the effects of even subtle canting, your much more likely to recognize mistakes often attributed to "wind"

If one doesn't have the time to invest or maintain a higher skillset, at least you know your limitations. 99.9% of drivers can't left foot brake, trail brake, or brake drift.. required race winning techniques. Mocking what your not capable of or don't understand... helps keep the world flat.

Great explanation!!!!
Canting a rifle is not voodo magic. It's been used in non precision weapons for a VERY long time as a way to deal with cover. Well it's no different with a presicion system. It's all about understanding your dope and ballistic trajectory. It's something you need to be familiar with if using your system to fight.

As usual the peanut gallery weights in on things they know little off. You don't understand what it take to fight with a long gun and think you know something just because you always shoot from a bench or from a comfortable prone position at a square range. It's the way of the internet forum.

a0cake
12-04-11, 10:41
First of all, this must have just gotten moved to the Magpul industry section. Had it originated there, I would not have criticized it openly out of courtesy.

Secondly, some of you are being overly sensitive. One of you even implied that I said Todd H. can't teach or something like that (WTF?). I disagreed with a technique I saw in the trailer for this video. I didn't sleep with someone's mother. Todd H. and all involved in the production of this video are professionals and deserve respect. Disagreeing is not disrespect. Let's discuss facts and not get emotional like some of you have.

Third, I am also a professional. Few people on this forum (Dano is probably one of them) have as much experience fighting and shooting in varied and extreme terrain. Professionals are allowed to disagree.

Unconventional shooting positions are hugely important in the contemporary operating environment. For example, a common enemy TTP is to initiate contact upon exfil of friendly forces from the objective area when cover is often scarce (negotiating terraces, rock washouts, water crossings, etc). So being able to maximize available cover and return fire accurately and effectively is clearly of paramount importance. Unconventional shooting positions are often required. That's in the mountains...urban areas require just as much flexibility in shooting position if not more. Understanding the effects of cant on POI is important, and something I understand very well.

Now, WHAT I DISAGREE WITH, tactically and technically, is firing a bolt gun with a 90 degree left / right cant at extended ranges. It comes down to individuals functioning in their intended role. Upon contact, grab cover as best you can in whatever position necessary, go through your OODA loop, identify a target, present the rifle in the way that will most likely result in a hit, and engage that point target.

If the rest of the element with individual weapons wants to return fire at long range from modified prone positions with 45 / 90 degree weapon cants etc. IOT maximize cover then that's what they need to do, so long as they understand the effects of such a position (and they will).

Point is, when a precision rifle is in my hands and the target is at 300+, the rifle is vertical when the trigger breaks. Doesn't make me an amateur.

Disagree if you want, but please, don't be dramatic about it. Opine from a position of experience. I've spent an abnormally large portion of my life behind precision rifles as a Sniper in the Korengal Valley and other similar shitholes. I know what it feels like to get caught with your pants down with no cover. But I've never felt the need to engage a long range target with my rifle canted at 90 degrees. Although I have the mental faculty and training to make such a shot happen, it's a variable I chose to eliminate from "the long range game."

Steve
12-04-11, 18:17
With all do respect we ran semi auto Obr in that position from the rocks for a reason and for a learning lesson on how thing can be done and were done and how the optics can be manipulated to work

We were and are students and were there to learn and we did nothing is absolute it's a clip of a very valuable teaching point

brickbd
12-04-11, 18:21
I'm pretty sure we are all going to have to agree to disagree!

I know what my "PROFESSIONAL" trigger time is in a real world senario and I will just say this.... WHEN I recieve my disc's I will watch and analyze them as to how they pertain to my current training and take what I feel is good training out of it and leave the rest on the disk and move forward!!

Dano5326
12-05-11, 00:17
If limiting your perspective to what has worked for one in the past is ok with you, free too stay in your comfort zone.. statistically it'll probably work.

Pistol shooting and/or "weak side" shooting with a secondary is seldom practiced and derided in some circles. In the many thousands of raids and gunfights in the last ten years I only know of three people that have transitioned to secondary weapons & one guy that actually used his left (non-primary) hand to engage after a primary side injury. The odds of requiring this skill are a fraction of a percent, but paid big dividends when needed.

An individual (organization dependent) can weigh their own perceived requirements and adjust accordingly. Of course a pyramid of training precedence must be made within limited time constraints and resources. But I will never belittle anything that: increases speed of hits, increases hits, enables hits or lowers signature/exposure. Hits matter and the opposition can only tgt what they can see.

If your training regime even only permits a snap shot of canted shooting, better than most training modalities. At least guys will have an inkling of where to start should they be knee deep in an awkward position shit-show... knowing approximately where the rds will go & where to look for the trace/splash and compensate.

Regarding a bolt gun... limited utility, in military application, IMO. I see no place for a bolt gun in anything less than 338... and only then because I haven't found a tight 338 semiauto.

Having not viewed the DVDs, I cannot comment on why any actions were or were not done. Keeping in mind, all media adverts since we were kids... trailers are meant to be sensational and grab you.

Intentionally canted shooting... For teaching points, with new shooters, I can think of a couple reasons. For lower % shots required by tactical circumstance... many more.

I have completed a couple different US Mil sniper courses... trained with Mcmillian, Todd H, and some other suspects.

Todd's capabilities, enthusiasm, and teaching abilities severely raise the performance bar. No video can substitute for one on one time, but I would expect something good out of his involvement.

wilson1911
12-05-11, 15:34
I have a question about these. I just bought my AR and promptly went to magpuls site and ordered a few mags and their basic carbine disk set.

I have been looking on the net for something to get my feet wet in the art of "sniping", this term is used loosely. Would these be good for a beginner, or should I keep looking for some books?

I would like to be able to size up a target, adjust the scope, and actually hit the target. Pretty basic stuff. I figured 556 would be good to learn on while I am saving up for my OBR. BUT, I am not against learning with a 22lr either, its cheap lol.

Ok, so I do realize there is lots more to this. Just trying to get started in this.

jaydoc1
12-05-11, 17:14
I have a question about these. I just bought my AR and promptly went to magpuls site and ordered a few mags and their basic carbine disk set.

I have been looking on the net for something to get my feet wet in the art of "sniping", this term is used loosely. Would these be good for a beginner, or should I keep looking for some books?

I would like to be able to size up a target, adjust the scope, and actually hit the target. Pretty basic stuff. I figured 556 would be good to learn on while I am saving up for my OBR. BUT, I am not against learning with a 22lr either, its cheap lol.

Ok, so I do realize there is lots more to this. Just trying to get started in this.

Check out www.snipershide.com. Very no nonsense website for precision shooters with a ton of valuable information and a lot of good online training videos. As all will tell you, though, nothing beats in-person training.

StrikerFired
12-05-11, 20:50
I don't post often, but Dano5326, just dropped the LOGIC BOMB. BOOM...

Mace

Simply.Awesome.

Poof.....

Jim D
12-06-11, 09:56
Think fast Dozer. You're taking a 500 yard shot with a .308 platform. Your elevation adjustment is 3.5 mils. Now, cant your rife 90 degrees to the left. Quickly, tell me WTF you're doing to hit the target. You have no idea without looking it up. I won't even add a crosswind to the problem.

I can appreciate this logic... it makes getting a hit far more complicated, sure.

That said, Todd is a living legend in the LR community, so if he's teaching/ showing it... it probably has a place. ;)

I've been less than thrilled with some of the MP DVD's, but I am very interested in these.

I know next to nothing about LR shooting, but I'm looking forward to soaking up anything I can from Mr. Hodnett. Some friends of frinds of mine have trained with him, and have nothing but deep respect and admiration for the guy... and they are at the top of their game, too. He's on my list to train with someday. I don't have the cash to buy a rifle, fly out to TX, pay for a class, etc... but if I can split the DVD's with a buddy, I'm in.

While no substitue for legit hands on training, it should be a good primer and help introduce some new concepts for me to consider.

Pork Chop
12-06-11, 10:09
I can appreciate this logic... it makes getting a hit far more complicated, sure.

That said, Todd is a living legend in the LR community, so if he's teaching/ showing it... it probably has a place. ;)

I've been less than thrilled with some of the MP DVD's, but I am very interested in these.

I know next to nothing about LR shooting, but I'm looking forward to soaking up anything I can from Mr. Hodnett. Some friends of frinds of mine have trained with him, and have nothing but deep respect and admiration for the guy... and they are at the top of their game, too. He's on my list to train with someday. I don't have the cash to buy a rifle, fly out to TX, pay for a class, etc... but if I can split the DVD's with a buddy, I'm in.

While no substitue for legit hands on training, it should be a good primer and help introduce some new concepts for me to consider.

This is my theory as well.

I want to soak up as much as I can BEFORE taking classes and being the complete beginner holding things up.

Looks like a lot of useful information for the price.

jwfuhrman
12-06-11, 10:09
Agreed with Jim D. I'm very new to shooting much past 600. My experience shooting that far is CMP service rifle matches and camp perry(last time was 2002).... I shoot ALOT of 3gun, usually 2 matches a month, plus have my own 500yd range at home, and setting up out to 1200 on the family farm a mile away. I can constantly hit a 8in AR500 plate with my 3gun rifle out to 500, only because in the last 2 years I've put roughly 2000rds of match ammo and another 3K of 55s thru it in matches and practice.

I'm buying these videos as a way to get into LR shooting, so I don't just go out and wing it. Much like I joined this site to learn what brands are quality and what aren't when I was building a SBR.

MagPul videos are just that, the fundemantals to get you started. To give you an idea of things to work on. Then take a class or 2 or 12 to get actual instruction.

Raven Armament
12-06-11, 10:26
I'm buying these videos as a way to get into LR shooting, so I don't just go out and wing it.
Exactly why I'm buying them.

rickp
12-06-11, 11:08
FWIW, I spoke to a buddy and former sniper team leader with Delta about this. I asked him if they practiced this whole canting thing and his answer was all the time.

I've also had lengthy conversations with one of the head guys at Accuracy 1st. Most of the training they are doing is for USASOC. As a matter of fact, it was one of the reasons the DVD was delayed and some of the content re-shot. Due to the fact that the material is on the USASOC curriculum, it is automatically considered classified and had to be cleared.

Those guys are training and requiring skills at a level that most will never see or understand. As a matter of fact I was told that for guys to graduate they have to make a 1 mile shot with the .308. Most will probably say, why? the .308 is way outside it's capabilities so what's the point? The point is that it still teaches one, a lot of things, from fundamentals to ballistics to general conditions and more.

MagPul videos are just that, the fundemantals to get you started. To give you an idea of things to work on. Then take a class or 2 or 12 to get actual instruction.

Jjwfuhrman,
If I can make a recommendation on LR fundamental training, look at Rifles Only. I went out there a couple of years ago or so and they are top notch. I know Jake, the owner and head instructor at RO and he is a great instructor. If you want more info just PM me.

R.

sgtlmj
12-15-11, 08:46
Got mine specially delivered yesterday. Well, it was really a Christmas present from Uncle Steve for my new-born son, but I'll hang onto it until tummy time turns into the proper prone position.

http://gallery.me.com/sgtlmj/100325/IMG_0628/web.jpg

SeriousStudent
12-15-11, 23:28
Cute kid!

And he's already got a Magpul baby blanket. :D

Dmaynor
12-17-11, 18:10
http://img.tapatalk.com/62fb3204-2ef4-a5e8.jpg

I got my DVD set today and am watching it. I already learned something: qd mounts for scopes are not the devil I have been taught.

ForTehNguyen
12-18-11, 10:32
I need to get one of these too, waiting for MS3 slings, ACS-L stock to be available to ship along with this

SeriousStudent
12-18-11, 12:24
I finished watching the first DVD last night. I am very pleased with it. It's taking me a long time to watch, since I'm writing down notes on a clipboard, and researching with a laptop as well. That's not a criticism, but an indicator of its thought-provoking nature.

I really do like the format. Take four people who are experts in their field, and have them ask questions. The Socratic method works very well here, and it's making me do a lot of thinking as well. I'm just starting into the precision rifle field, and this set could not have come at a better time.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-18-11, 19:06
I finished watching the first DVD last night. I am very pleased with it. It's taking me a long time to watch, since I'm writing down notes on a clipboard, and researching with a laptop as well. That's not a criticism, but an indicator of its thought-provoking nature.

I really do like the format. Take four people who are experts in their field, and have them ask questions. The Socratic method works very well here, and it's making me do a lot of thinking as well. I'm just starting into the precision rifle field, and this set could not have come at a better time.

You are a serious student!

I'm doing the same thing with questions I have. So much material I think it may eventually be covered.

I like the tid-bit about pushing forward on the QD scope as you tighten it to reduce changes from recoil and how the instructor automatically checks for parallax, even on spotting scopes.

SeriousStudent
12-18-11, 22:53
You are a serious student!

That I am. I have this coming week off, and I'm putting it to good use. I'm going to work on the milling exercises with my new Viper Vortex PST scope. One of the windows on my house looks down a long section of street, to a park that is just under 600 meters away.

I'm really liking this set. So far, I think it's the best work they have done on the instructional DVD's.

jwfuhrman
12-19-11, 08:06
I'm really liking this set. So far, I think it's the best work they have done on the instructional DVD's.

that it is. Todd is a genius and makes learning long range simple. Takes every myth out of it. Just do the math, get a stable platform, good glass and you can make the shots

d90king
12-19-11, 11:08
Thanks for the feedback guys! It is much appreciated. I am going to order a set in the next day or two...

jaydoc1
12-19-11, 14:01
I've now watched all the DVDs in the set and have to say that I really think they did a fantastic job once again.

Anyone new to the long-range game may find the first two discs a bit dry, especially when compared to the Dynamic Handgun and Carbine disc sets. But that's what long-range shooting is all about. It is very rewarding to make those long range hits. But doing so requires patience, good fundamentals, and a knowledge of ballistics.

The discussion of ballistics is a dry subject but that is a skill set that makes hitting out at those distances possible and repeatable. I used to have fun shooting at 100 yards. Now long range targets are what get me going.

Many who are new to precision rifle may feel like Todd and the Magpul guys are pushing certain brands (scopes with Horus reticules and the PDA/ATRAG combo) in the first two discs. I don't think they are at all. In fact Magpul has always gone to great lengths to avoid pushing certain brands in their videos. The thing to take away from that discussion is that a portable reliable ballistics calculator (which can be had on any smart phone for $10 or less now) is essential as is a good working knowledge of how YOUR reticule works. The Horus reticule allows "Kentucky Windage" but in a very accurate and precise manner. It allows you to skip dialing windage and elevation into your scope. So while it's nice, it certainly isn't essential. Ditto for smartphone ballistics calculators. As long as you can input all the necessary data and then correct it (or "true" it as Todd calls it) based on downrange data then they will be just as effective as a PDA with the ATRAG program.

The rest of the DVDs are also full of good information and I think that the discussion of different rifles/optics/gear is the best yet for a set of Magpul DVDs. They literally go through everything you want to look for in bolt guns, gas guns, and support equipment and then they lay out the very basics that you need to get into the long-range game. Also they are very cognizant of cost and describe what is most cost-effective when considering gear purchases.

Add the discussions concerning military and law enforcement snipers and I think that this is a very well-rounded set and well worth the purchase price.

d90king
12-19-11, 14:11
I've now watched all the DVDs in the set and have to say that I really think they did a fantastic job once again.

Anyone new to the long-range game may find the first two discs a bit dry, especially when compared to the Dynamic Handgun and Carbine disc sets. But that's what long-range shooting is all about. It is very rewarding to make those long range hits. But doing so requires patience, good fundamentals, and a knowledge of ballistics.

The discussion of ballistics is a dry subject but that is a skill set that makes hitting out at those distances possible and repeatable. I used to have fun shooting at 100 yards. Now long range targets are what get me going.

Many who are new to precision rifle may feel like Todd and the Magpul guys are pushing certain brands (scopes with Horus reticules and the PDA/ATRAG combo) in the first two discs. I don't think they are at all. In fact Magpul has always gone to great lengths to avoid pushing certain brands in their videos. The thing to take away from that discussion is that a portable reliable ballistics calculator (which can be had on any smart phone for $10 or less now) is essential as is a good working knowledge of how YOUR reticule works. The Horus reticule allows "Kentucky Windage" but in a very accurate and precise manner. It allows you to skip dialing windage and elevation into your scope. So while it's nice, it certainly isn't essential. Ditto for smartphone ballistics calculators. As long as you can input all the necessary data and then correct it (or "true" it as Todd calls it) based on downrange data then they will be just as effective as a PDA with the ATRAG program.

The rest of the DVDs are also full of good information and I think that the discussion of different rifles/optics/gear is the best yet for a set of Magpul DVDs. They literally go through everything you want to look for in bolt guns, gas guns, and support equipment and then they lay out the very basics that you need to get into the long-range game. Also they are very cognizant of cost and describe what is most cost-effective when considering gear purchases.

Add the discussions concerning military and law enforcement snipers and I think that this is a very well-rounded set and well worth the purchase price.

Thanks Doc! As someone who is new to long range shooting this sounds like it will be a great start in learning the basics and some solid fundamentals.

Do you know of any iPhone ballistic calculater app that you can recommend?

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

SeriousStudent
12-19-11, 14:36

Do you know of any iPhone ballistic calculater app that you can recommend?

I'm playing with Shooter on my Android phone, and BulletFlight on my iPhone. I have not had a chance to head out to the range with them yet.

Snipershide has several threads on both, and I think there was a good writeup here on BulletFlight. If I can find the threads, I'll send them to you.

BulletFlight has three levels - one is 4 bucks, one is 12 and one is 30. The 30-dollar app is designed for military shooters, and has the best reviews.

caporider
12-19-11, 16:56
I'm playing with Shooter on my Android phone, and BulletFlight on my iPhone. I have not had a chance to head out to the range with them yet.

Snipershide has several threads on both, and I think there was a good writeup here on BulletFlight. If I can find the threads, I'll send them to you.

BulletFlight has three levels - one is 4 bucks, one is 12 and one is 30. The 30-dollar app is designed for military shooters, and has the best reviews.

Ballistics FTE on the iPhone and iPad is a very well done exterior ballistics app. The FTE version has a HUD mode similar to BulletFlight's.

jaydoc1
12-19-11, 20:56
I use both Ballistic FTE and Shooter on the iPhone. Both are fantastic.

rickp
12-22-11, 18:01
I just got done watching the Maglup PR DVD and I have to say they did a great job IMO.

The information they covered was informative, educational and interesting. I think its a great set of DVD's for people that are looking to get into the PR side of shooting. IMO, well worth the cost.

R.

Belmont31R
12-22-11, 18:30
I just got done watching the Maglup PR DVD and I have to say they did a great job IMO.

The information they covered was informative, educational and interesting. I think its a great set of DVD's for people that are looking to get into the PR side of shooting. IMO, well worth the cost.

R.

Good to hear. Im waiting on the Blu Ray edition to come out next month.

Cameron
12-24-11, 13:54
I've watched 4 of the 5 discs so far, and I found it very good as something that takes the mystique out of long range shooting, also with a good grounded in the basics. I'm amazed that on M4C we still get the impulsive that jump the gun and rant about something seen in the trailer. The section where the rifle is canted 90 degrees is carefully explained and was offered as a technique for rare or extreme circumstances, yet showed that hits were still unable to be made. To jump the gun, so to speak, and rail against something from the trailer seems a little impetuous to me.

So far the DVDs have been good stuff, and a great value for money. Do they replace actual quality instruction, of course not, but I think they were worth the 50 bucks.

Cameron

Ring
12-26-11, 13:28
Ballistics FTE on the iPhone and iPad is a very well done exterior ballistics app. The FTE version has a HUD mode similar to BulletFlight's.

having had used 4 or 5 of the top ballistic handhelds, i can say that Bullet Flight sucks... features and usability....

look at "shooter ballistics" and "Ballistic FTE" both ar 100% more user friendly and have more usability..

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ballistic-field-tactical-edition/id303254296?mt=8

http://shooter.kndy.net/

Ring
12-26-11, 13:33
I like the tid-bit about pushing forward on the QD scope as you tighten it to reduce changes from recoil

just a FYI.. this should be done when mounting ANY scope...