PDA

View Full Version : According to this guy, his Mosin Nagant is better than any AR

77thNYSV
12-02-11, 23:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cf_j2YnLhw

I don't know what to say except :rolleyes:

I have a mosin and I enjoy it but I just don't understand the obsession with it, especially when it comes to a SHTF scenario. If I was to use any WWII era weapon for SHTF, it would be my Springfield M1.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I put it here in the Survival forum because of the topic of the video.

Ak44
12-03-11, 01:54
To each his own..

MIKE G
12-03-11, 02:17
Mosin discussion seems to come in waves and has a cult like following. Seemingly the cult of the cheap. Rationalizing how carrying a mosin and 'knowing how to use it' will put you in better shape than the guy running an AR. Apparently people running ARs or AKs don't take classes but that mosin comes with a lifetime of small unit tactics and guerilla warfare experience.

I have only one purpose for mosins, it is the rifle version of a liberator pistol. For a small amount of money I can outfit and train a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't have guns NOT as a replacement or 'just as good as' solution to my ARs. So, if I was part of a prepper group where extended family would potentially be brought in I would push for the group to get a mosin and ammo for each possible 'extra person' while each core group member would have high quality carbines and sidearms.

Pork Chop
12-08-11, 05:58
Mosin discussion seems to come in waves and has a cult like following. Seemingly the cult of the cheap. Rationalizing how carrying a mosin and 'knowing how to use it' will put you in better shape than the guy running an AR. Apparently people running ARs or AKs don't take classes but that mosin comes with a lifetime of small unit tactics and guerilla warfare experience.

I have only one purpose for mosins, it is the rifle version of a liberator pistol. For a small amount of money I can outfit and train a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't have guns NOT as a replacement or 'just as good as' solution to my ARs. So, if I was part of a prepper group where extended family would potentially be brought in I would push for the group to get a mosin and ammo for each possible 'extra person' while each core group member would have high quality carbines and sidearms.

I've noticed this as well. They sell by the crate full at my local Cabelas every time they have the $99 sale and people just rant & rave over them.

I agree, they are a cheap way to equip a group, but I don't get the Mosin love that seemingly follows these things?

I have a lot of interest in WWI & WWII era weapons and own several, but have yet to get on the Mosin bandwagon. I have buddies who own several Mosins and I've shot many of them, but even if WWII surplus was my only choice, I'd take an M1 or K98 or even an Enfield over one of these things. But you can't get those for $99 either, so I suppose they serve a niche market?

PA PATRIOT
12-08-11, 09:04
If you can find Mosins with good bores/head spacing and then replace a few springs they can be a basic storage rifle should the need a rise.

But the create guns you find at the mass retailers seem to be on the low end quality wise. Its a buyer beware if you don't know what to look for when selecting one for purchase.

duece71
12-08-11, 13:11
I have 2 of them, both were $80-90 each. Cheap is right. Ammo cost won't break the bank either. I use the rifle more as a fun range toy than anything else. I might hunt with it if I had nothing else (heck, wouldn't you?). I certainly would NOT use it for HD/SHTF, there are many more and better choices. IMO.

SuperiorDG
12-08-11, 13:19
I see getting ammo after SHTF would be a problem. Stick with common ammo for SHTF.

Blstr88
12-08-11, 13:39
I think he makes good points earlier in the video if you can't afford some fancy AR. Better to have a ~$200 Mosin setup then nothing. However if you do have the funds to buy something more modern, and the ammo/parts/accessories to keep it running I think you'd be crazy not to get the best.

Towards the end he did start talking down AR/AKs...yet he didnt speak about any of the advantages of those platforms. Such as it being more compact, lighter, higher magazine capacity, more common parts/ammo...

onebigelf
01-15-12, 15:45
If he can hit what he aims at with it at 200 yards I'll take him and his moisin over a great many of the folks I see at the range with $1500 worth of AR-15 hung all over with lights, lazers, scopes, handles, can openers, and roulette wheels that can't hit a silhouette at 100 yards.

John

Heavy Metal
01-15-12, 15:53
A Mosin is a third-line weapon at best.

Gunfixr
01-15-12, 16:13
The Mosin; the modern version of the butter knife.
For all your "friends or acquaintances" who didn't bother to prep, and now are in dire need of help, you give them a butter knife, and let them know that if they are careful, and go about right, they can earn themselves a serious weapon with it, and then pass it on (the butter knife).
The Mosin makes this a bit easier to accomplish.

Heavy Metal
01-15-12, 16:22
That is exactly what I am trying to say. It is a good weapon to arm cannon fodder with that you won't cry about if its lost.

Dave L.
01-16-12, 02:16
The Mosin; the modern version of the butter knife.
For all your "friends or acquaintances" who didn't bother to prep, and now are in dire need of help, you give them a butter knife, and let them know that if they are careful, and go about right, they can earn themselves a serious weapon with it, and then pass it on (the butter knife).
The Mosin makes this a bit easier to accomplish.

I feel the same way...

PA PATRIOT
01-16-12, 17:07
One has to remember that Russian snipers using the Mosin rifle chew up the German army during WWII.

Any shooter with a touch of skill and a serviceable Mosin rife can inflict some damage to a hostile force with the deployment of some gorilla tactics.

Hell its better then no gun at all.

Saleen4971
01-16-12, 17:13
The mosin is a great gun for what it is. A Cheap turd. I have one, and once I finished fixing the filthy barrel, and tight headspace, got a good stock and scope on it, it's a really fun polished turd.

Sent from my MB860

Dave L.
01-17-12, 02:30
Hell its better then no gun at all.

I agree with this. My perspective comes from having a "double-digit" amount of serviceable AR's laying around.

I have thought a few times about getting 4 and 4K rounds of ammo... there's just many other things I need worse.

TehLlama
01-17-12, 21:16
The same way anybody here is going to instinctively look down on a worn out old 1985 honda civic - sure it sucks, but it's still transportation. The Mosin isn't going to compete on tacticool cred with a modern weapon system, but anything that converts ammunition into loud noises and high speed projectiles is better than nothing, and it's possible to do LOTS worse.

Heavy Metal
01-17-12, 21:24
They are durable and functional. That said, I would take a Mauser K-98 over one any day.

That said, I would take a Mk4 Enfield over either one every day and five times on Sundays.

ucrt
01-17-12, 21:33

It is guys like him that are going to ruin the fun of teotwawki.

Who the heck wants to have a gun fight defending your domain and then go do your battlefield pickups and find crap like that. ;)
Reckon it is better than nothing...but not by much...

But maybe it's just me...

Abraxas
01-17-12, 21:36

Very well said and not a bad idea.

Heavy Metal
01-17-12, 21:37
I see getting ammo after SHTF would be a problem. Stick with common ammo for SHTF.

I don't understand why people use this as an argument.

The only resupply you should ever count on is self-resupply. A pauper can buy enough surplus 7.62x54 Rimmed ammo to last Armageddon and a couple of World Wars in a fairly short order.

If you find a rifle and a caliber you like, buy enough ammo and don't count on breaking into Dick's Sporting Goods come the opening of the Seventh Seal for your supply strategy.

Even in a total meltdown, you are not going to be shooting that much.

PA PATRIOT
01-17-12, 23:06
I don't understand why people use this as an argument.

The only resupply you should ever count on is self-resupply. A pauper can buy enough surplus 7.62x54 Rimmed ammo to last Armageddon and a couple of World Wars in a fairly short order.

If you find a rifle and a caliber you like, buy enough ammo and don't count on breaking into Dick's Sporting Goods come the opening of the Seventh Seal for your supply strategy.

Even in a total meltdown, you are not going to be shooting that much.

I believe that those hoping to find or trade for ammunition after a SHTF event are just trying to compensate for poor initial planning. If you get caught lacking in food or supplies after reading the thousands of threads in section then shame on you.

Its not like the events of the past few years should have giving one a hint that preparations were needed and that the continuing decline of society should have expedited the completion of your stores.

Not busting stones here but repeating common sense.

blouzbee
01-18-12, 17:39
Cabelas has them on sale starting tomorrow.... 99$ with bayonet and accessories. think ill pick one up just for kicks. besides, still have room in the gun safe:)

a1fabweld
01-19-12, 23:02
I have 2 safes. One is fire rated & one isn't.

The AR's, HK's, 5R, Mauser, Garand, 03A3 & pistols are in the fire rated safe.

The Mosin, SKS, & AK are in the other one.

anthony1
01-20-12, 04:12
I use to have a couple mosins, sold them along with all the other weird caliber or surplus crap. If you just want one for fun or collection, go for it.

For serious use you would have to be a retard to willingly pick a mosin as your main battle weapon. There 80$ for a reason. How the hell are you going to get in/out a car or even easily move around your house with those 5ft long things. Ammo selection sucks. Accuracy is generally worse than almost any modern bolt rifle. Try running or taking cover with a mosin lol.

If you really want a cheap bolt rifle the savage 10/stevens 200s are 2-300$, accurate, available in all calibers, easy to scope, easy to work on yourself, easily available new parts.

I guess if you only got 80$ a mosins about your only option. But, if you only got 80$ for a rifle, your primary concern should probably be figuring out where ****ed up in life and adressing that than worrying about firearms.
Thats my take anyways.

Reagans Rascals
01-20-12, 04:45
he is correct in stating that his Mosin-Nagant is better than your AR.... because he has a time muhsheen and frequently travels back to the Siege of Leningrad... and since it's 1942... and the 5.56 hasn't been made yet... he can't find any ammo for it... but the place is sprawling with Nagant's.... so he can just pick up ammo anywhere and everywhere and keep on truckin....

I mean come on, its really not that hard to understand... you know... if you think about it logically....

"...cuz its got lectralites"

blouzbee
01-21-12, 08:57
Well i picked one up.... its a ton of cool, 70 year old, wwII era stuff for 99 bucks. at that price i think people are crazy for NOT picking one up.

when my non prepping, non gun owning brother comes knocking on my door when the SHTF...ill toss this out the window with a couple boxes of ammo and send him on his way, lol.

seriously though, i cant wait to shoot it and im glad i picked one up.

Armati
01-27-12, 18:41
At worse, buy a few of them and convert them into hunting rifle configuration using some of those bubba aftermarket kits. Even with a cheap scope you will be able to field a few 'snipers'. Hand them to your idiot friends who didn't have sense enough to prep.

Check out the book "Fry the Brain".

http://www.amazon.com/Fry-Brain-Sniping-Guerrilla-Warfare/dp/0971413398

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. 10 shooters armed with a mix of Mosins and Mossbergs is usually better than one shooter armed with an AR.

Moose-Knuckle
01-27-12, 19:55
Criminals and guerrillas have been "chopping" Mosin Nagants since forever. . .

Look at the pics towards the bottom of this page! :eek:

http://plowshareforge.blogspot.com/2011/09/po-folks-got-po-ways_11.html

This exemplifies the old adage “do what you can with what you have where you are.” :D

LoboTBL
01-28-12, 00:25
I think one thing that is being overlooked here is that the basics of rifle marksmanship are the same regardless of what platform is utilized. Given the low cost and abundant supply of these rifles coupled with low priced surplus ammo, it makes for a good rifle to target practice with.

The same thing can be said about the numerous semi auto and bolt action .22 rimfires that many people have. Low cost weapon and cheap ammo to practice with. However, I don't see so many people calling other folks idiots and the like for purchasing a .22 to plink with.

A couple of advantages I would point out of a Mosin over a .22 is that you're firing a cartridge that has an actual recoil that the shooter needs to learn to manage and the 7.62x54 round can be used to take down medium sized game.

Is it tactically superior to an AR or an AK? Not in any regard that I can think of with the possible exception of maximum effective range, merely in terms of energy. And that is admittedly reaching....

usmcvet
01-28-12, 18:59
At worse, buy a few of them and convert them into hunting rifle configuration using some of those bubba aftermarket kits. Even with a cheap scope you will be able to field a few 'snipers'. Hand them to your idiot friends who didn't have sense enough to prep.

Check out the book "Fry the Brain".

http://www.amazon.com/Fry-Brain-Sniping-Guerrilla-Warfare/dp/0971413398

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. 10 shooters armed with a mix of Mosins and Mossbergs is usually better than one shooter armed with an AR.

I think you have it exactly backwards. I would rather have on guy or gal with an AR who knew what they were doing and could shoot.

Check out an old book called Rifleman Dodd. It used to be on the Commandant's reading list. Not sure if it still is. One excellent shooter, Dodd, created all kinds if havoc alone.

usmcvet
01-28-12, 19:12
http://leadersrreaders.blogspot.com/2010/06/review-of-rifleman-dodd.html

A decent/quick review above.

http://www.amazon.com/Rifleman-Dodd-Great-War-Stories/dp/0933852762

p22shooter30
01-29-12, 15:51
They are great, reliable rifles. i shot two deer with my m44 last year. i can hit paper plate sized targets at 300 yards all day long with it with open sights. if someone needs a rifle for cheap because they can not afford anything else, i recommend it. they are bulky in the field and the corrosive ammo is a pain in the ass, but not impossible. i would take my AR over it if i had to pick, but im glad i have both.

jwfuhrman
01-30-12, 08:57

It is guys like him that are going to ruin the fun of teotwawki.

Who the heck wants to have a gun fight defending your domain and then go do your battlefield pickups and find crap like that?

Thanks, now I need a mop to clean up my coffee cause u made me spit it every where....

spumwuzzle
01-31-12, 16:55
Go to http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm and read the original, in column form.

Stuff you know if you have a Mosin Nagant:
It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.
You can hit the farm from two counties over.
What's a mag?
What's a safety?
You rifle has dog collars.
Your bayonet is longer than your leg.
You can knock down everyone else's target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.
When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.
Recoil is often used to relocate shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.
Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you've actually tried it.
Your rifle has fought against itself and won every time.
Your rifle won a pole vault event.
You paid $59.95.
You dig your ammo out of a farmer's field in Ukraine and it works just fine.
You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.
Service life, 100 years, and counting.
You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54r.
If your rifle breaks, you buy a new one.
You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4.
After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor.
After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for shishkabob.
Your rifle's accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but it's buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.
Your rifle's finish is low grade shellac, cosmoline and Olga's toe nails.
You're not sure there WERE cameras to photograph Sergei Mosin.
Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the the yard to sleep in

Stuff you know if you have an AK:
It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever.
You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.
Cheap mags are fun to buy.
Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away.
Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling.
Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter.
You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak, if you can hit it.
When out of ammo your rifle will nominally pass as a club.
Recoil is manageable, even fun.
Your sight adjustment goes to "10", and you've never bothered moving it.
Your rifle can be used by any two bit nation's most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.
Your rifle won some revolutions.
You paid $350.
You buy cheap ammo by the case.
You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.
Service life, 50 years.
It's easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes.
You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.
You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards to burst into flames.
After a long day the range you relax by watching "Red Dawn".
After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for a stiff shot of Vodka.
You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set.
Your rifle's finish is varnish and paint.
Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov.
Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout "Wolverines!"

Stuff you know if you have an AR:
You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning.
You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
Cheap mags melt.
You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger.
Your rifle has a 9 point stealth tactical suspension system.
Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife.
You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 30 rounds.
When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat.
What's recoil?
Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle.
Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two bit nations' most illiterate conscripts.
Your rifle won the Cold War.
You paid $900.
You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one.
You foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.
Service life, 40 years.
You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper.
You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith, it's under warranty!
You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group.
After a long day at the range you relax by watching "Blackhawk Down".
After cleaning your rifle you have a strong urge for hotdogs and apple pie.
Your rifle's accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle.
Your rifle's finish is Teflon and high tech polymers.
Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene Stoner.
Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room.

lowcountrytj
01-31-12, 17:43
^^^^^Thanks spum...needed that. Makes me feel better about my Mosins. Lol

blouzbee
01-31-12, 17:50
Thx spum, i enjoyed all 3. copied and pasted into an email alrdy:)

p22shooter30
02-01-12, 00:13
great stuff. i liked it.

LoboTBL
02-01-12, 23:34
good stuff...

drsal
02-04-12, 21:41
Mosins are cool old guns, have one hanging as 'functional' decoration on the wall of my study below an enfield .

tmckay2
08-08-12, 12:44
i don't know what to tell you. my buddy has a mosin sniper, with the original scope and all that jazz, cost like 600, and without doing anything he rolls up to my range and hits an 8 inch plate about every time at 300, 400, 500 and 550 no problem. thats with a 70 year old, 3x magnification scope. he's a decent shooter but not amazing. how many people with only modest shooting abilities can do that with a $600 ar and 3x scope? this argument depends on what the purpose is as well. are we shooting big game at 500 yards? if so a mosin is probably better. are we shooting for tight groups at 100 yards? then maybe an ar. it just depends on the rifle, shooter and purpose.

p22shooter30
08-08-12, 13:20
holy thread resurrection batman

tmckay2
08-08-12, 18:05
holy thread resurrection batman

not really its only a few months old.

p22shooter30
08-08-12, 23:03
fair enough, im glad you brought it back. i love talking about my mosin, but at 200 yards or less which is what i would think most combat would take place in an urban/suburb or wooded environment, i would take a 30 rounds in a semi auto form anyday of the week. for a strickly hunting application i would take my mosin along. which i have done for the last couple of years and will do again this year. deer dont run far when you hit them with a 203 grain brownbear softpoint bullet. but i have never deer hunted with an AR. my wife might try it this year because she lovers her pink AR i built her over my scoped 308.

i guess it would be hard for your buddy with his scoped mosin to concentrate and aim well from 400 yards away when there is 30 rounds flying at him. i might not be able to hit him, but i can keep his head down while i run away or manuever closer. probably run away

TacticalSledgehammer
08-10-12, 03:43
I've probably had a mosin in every flavor over the last 10 years. I still have a soft spot for them. One day (9 yrs ago, I was 20) I met up with a friend for a shoot. It was nothing fancy at all. He brought his dpms, & I brought a Chinese T-53 (Mosin M44). My $50 mosin shot tighter groups all day long. We switched rifles and it was still the same story. I then came to the conclusion AR-15s are junk. Of course now I see things differently and see what a real turd dpms is. Of course I think you could fight with a mosin; but realistically you turn yourself into a WWI soldier in a modern day conflict.

Straight Shooter
08-10-12, 06:52
As a C&R License holder, and a lover of most military surplus weapons, I say lets not cast aside the Mosin, or the other old guns
without caution. I have always felt that mine would definately have a place in a SHTF/WHATEVER scenario. But, lets RIGHT NOW get rid of the notion that they are a match for a well made AR and someone who knows how to run one.
The Mosins, Mausers, Garands..ect..are hard hitting, long range bad asses, if you know how to use them. I can see hunting with them, using them against fortified emplacements that a 5.56 cant get into,
and other situations where hard hitting ammo is called for. I say, yes, have a few, get a good bit of ammo, and practice with them outside your normal AR range of fire, and enjoy them within their limitations.
I have been freakin amazed at some of the groups Ive fired with 60-70 year old ammo and guns as old, or older.

cbr
08-10-12, 16:59
So, Would a person be better off in a SHTF situation with a $100 Mosin and spend 1500 on training and ammo, or a $1500 M4 without much training and ammo?

Straight Shooter
08-10-12, 17:22
cbr-
MY opinion is your ****ed in either of those scenarios.
One worse than the other.

currahee
08-10-12, 17:36
If I was going cheap on weapon preparedness (because I was cheap or actually poor) I would look for the right kind of shotgun. It is a much more versatile weapon and much better inside of 50 yards where most post SHTF shootings are likely to occur- not to mention PRE-SHTF defensive shootings.

If I had a half dozen or more people to equip and expected infantry combat it would still be 50/50 surplus bolt rifle/shotgun

Bubba FAL
08-28-12, 23:16
I keep several 44s and Type 53s around for trading fodder in case of SHTF/teotwawki. A 44 and a couple hundred rounds of ammo will be pretty attractive to someone that hasn't bothered to properly prepare themselves.

I'll keep the FALs and ARs for myself.

Yes, the M-N 91/30 is long and awkward. The M-38 is much handier, but not so good for recoil sensitive types.

Arik
08-29-12, 07:56
I would have no problem using it in SHTF. Plenty powerful and accurate enough. I feel as comfortable using them as i do Enfields or Mausers. I get about the same accuracy out of all 3. But it sure wouldnt be the first thing i pick up.

I think in the right circumstances they are great rifles if we are talking SHTF. If you live outside the city or have lots of open space where you can see your adversary from far away you can defend your property all day, at longer distances, for pennies (considering that ammo is $150+/- per 880 rounds and the rifles are $120+/-) One or two people, from inside cover, can keep the intruders ducking (and maybe kill a few) while someone else moves up for closer more precise kills.

Simo Hayha killed 505 Russians in a 100 days so these rifles are not exactly useless.

Fin Nagants have better triggers, sights and smother actions

brickboy240
08-29-12, 11:00
Yes, a Mosin M44 with a span can of 54R surplus would be handy in a SHTF situation. I keep a few around for that reason, along with 3 SKS rifles....also good for SHTF.

However, my Swedish Mausers and K-31 will out-group any Mosin, K-98 or 03 Springer I have ever shot. The M96 Swede is an absolute tack hammer and a very well made rifle to boot.

-brickboy240

Arik
08-29-12, 11:35
Swedish Mausers are probably the best ones. Most parts were machined not stamped, including small parts. They used the best metal and machinery. Some were made in Germany but Sweeds provided their own steel and machinery!

People like MNs because there is so much history to them for a small $$. Many varieties and times of refurbishments. My is a refurb ex Dragoon hex receiver. Refurb'd in 1925 on a 1914 receiver. Harder to find but there are ones with Spanish and Yugo proofs. The rifle was made in Russia, sent to Spain then somehow made it to Yugoslavia during ww2 and back to Russia. Pretty cool history. There are also American built Moisins (R) Remington and Westinghouse in England built them as well. Those Remingtons that didnt make it to Russia went to US expeditionary forces and the rest sold to civilians. US civilians have been shooting Moisins since something like the 1920s. Some were converted to 30-06

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

brickboy240
08-30-12, 11:42
My two Swede Mausers (made in 1905 and 1909) will give me almost 1" groups at 100yds with the stock open sights and Norma Swede surplus ammo made in the 70s.

What a deal...since I bought both back in the early 90s and paid 125 bucks apiece for them! All matching serial numbers on the parts and they look like they were made last month.

What could you buy (surplus-wise) today at that price that will perform like that? Nothing.

Did I mention that the 6.5mm round also recoils about like a 223 bolt gun?

Accurate, well made and easy on the shoulder....what is not to like?

-brickboy240

ralph
09-02-12, 16:12
My two Swede Mausers (made in 1905 and 1909) will give me almost 1" groups at 100yds with the stock open sights and Norma Swede surplus ammo made in the 70s.

What a deal...since I bought both back in the early 90s and paid 125 bucks apiece for them! All matching serial numbers on the parts and they look like they were made last month.

What could you buy (surplus-wise) today at that price that will perform like that? Nothing.

Did I mention that the 6.5mm round also recoils about like a 223 bolt gun?

Accurate, well made and easy on the shoulder....what is not to like?

-brickboy240

I bought both of mine about the same time, for just about the same price. I got a M96 (made in 1923) and a Husky M39 (made in 1943) Except for the cleaning rod on the'96, both are all matching,(even the firing pin on the '96 is stamped, and matches) The '96 has a little history to it as I found out later..on the left side of the front receiver ring, there is a little stamp..retangular box with the letters SA in it..Yup, from what I can find out, this was one of 25,000 or so that were left in Finland when Swede volunteers left, and "forgot" their rifles... But yes, they were the deal of the day back in the 90's Most were in excellant shape with excellant bores. Interesting, the lowest setting on the rear sight on the '96 is 300meters....I'm sure it'll do it.

Iraqgunz
09-02-12, 21:15
Out of curiousity. Who gives a flying shit what some Elmer Fudd with a Nagant has to say?

Inkslinger
09-02-12, 21:41
Out of curiousity. Who gives a flying shit what some Elmer Fudd with a Nagant has to say?

Quotable. Priceless....

MountainRaven
09-03-12, 15:29
Simo Hayha killed 505 Russians in a 100 days so these rifles are not exactly useless.

If memory serves, though, about half of those kills were made with a Suomi KP/-31 (submachine gun). His second favorite weapon after his M/28 MN, as I recall.

According to wikipedia, when he was asked about how he became such a good shot, he reportedly answered, "Practice."

brickboy240
09-07-12, 23:53
Yeah...that WAS priceless! LOL

When you have Swede Mausers and a Swiss K-31 the Mosins don't hold tons of appeal.

The person that designed the safety on the Mosin bolt ought to be bitch-slapped! LOL

-brickboy240

cbr
09-08-12, 07:44

If you watch Elmer's rapid fire video, you would realize just how qualified this guy is. Almost sounds like a machine gun! Look out all you ar and ak guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG6ffw84XqU&feature=relmfu

Slater
10-05-12, 20:00
If you pull the trigger and it goes "bang", it does pretty much all that a Mosin was ever asked to do :D

7 RING
12-06-12, 01:21
I own and compete in the Vintage Rifle League with 2 Mosins. Better than an AR? I don't think so!

currahee
12-06-12, 07:00
Actually his point seems to be that it is more important to train with and be proficient with your chosen weapon, vs worrying to much about the gun you have.

I would have to agree with him

fury413rb
12-06-12, 09:24
I keep mine around just for the intrinsic value of a piece of history.

Not all of my firearms were bought to "do work". Some are just around for fun shooting days. Perfect example of one that's cheap to shoot, fun to shoot and interesting to look at.

My humble opinion. Not trying to troll.

SurplusShooter
12-06-12, 09:52
Also a C&R collector here...

The Mosin is a serviceable bolt-action rifle with several big "IF"s
- If you don't run into the sticky bolt problem
- If you don't get rim-lock
- If you get one that is accurate
- If you don't have to reload in a hurry

Serviceable, but not "the best" by any stretch of the imagination. Even among bolt-actions, I'd take a Mauser any day over a Mosin (no rim-lock, easier to work the bolt, the stripper-clips work better).

My solution for "accurizing" a Mosin rifle:
Just buy 3 test them and select the most accurate
Nowadays, a Mosin is a cheap way to get a piece of history and a serviceable high-power bolt-action with cheap ammo. Just don't try to turn it into something its not.

I haven't been around as long as most of you folks, but still I dislike the "if its the only thing you have, and you train with it" argument because if you follow that line of thinking, then eventually you could argue that a sharp pointed stick is a 'good' weapon because "its the only thing you have and you have trained with it" :(