PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint/BUIS set-up?

jmoore
12-02-07, 09:16
I've had the 6920 (1st AR) for a couple of months now, and have come to the realization that I need optics to help out these tired, old eyes. My initial plan was to save for the new M4, and back it up with a folding Troy BUIS. The intent was to go for an exact co-witness with the rear sight raised. However, two things have cropped up viewing this list over the past few months - so I seek listers input on the following.

1) There is a current thread concerning some problems with the Troy BUIS. While a fix may be possible (can you say Loctite?), a sight that doesn't require a fix would be better:) So - what are my options for a bulletproof (pun intended) fixed rear? Am currently looking at the LaRue Tactical B.U.I.S. QD LT-103.

2) If I go to the fixed rear, I will need to have it visible in the bottom 1/3 of the Aimpoint. Given that there have a been a few reports of the new Aimpoint factory mounts shooting loose, what type of aftermarket mount/spacer system would I need to accomplish the correct location of the LaRue fixed rear? Would the same set-up work if I decided to go with the M3 Aimpoint?

TIA for any & all input.

USMC03
12-02-07, 10:46
In my opinion the LaRue fixed BUIS is the most bombproof rear BUIS on the market.

A LaRue CCO or cantalever mount will put the iron sights in the bottom 1/3rd of the Aimpoint tube.

I run LaRue rear BUIS's on all of my guns that do not have magnified optics on them:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/molsen2295/USMC03/LMT%20irons%20only/DSC02240.jpg?t=1196612838

Semper Fi,
Jeff

FJB
12-03-07, 11:53
jmoore,
Regarding the reports of the Aimpoint CompM4 integral mount shooting loose as reported by P.R. in some of his classes. There is validity, but not because it is a bad mount only because Aimpoint doesn't Loctite the bolts nor supplies a small amount of Loctite like LaRue Tactical. The QRPII mount is a good mount and holds zero amazingly well. P.R. will testify that when he put Loctite on the bolts and retightened them the CompM4 returned to zero without having to "re-zero" the optic. As I have addressed in previous threads, the reason that Aimpoint does not Loctite the bolts is that the integral CompM4 QRPII mount has a spacer that allows the shooter to remove inorder to lower the optic to fit whatever firearm they may be wish to install it. Not all shooters shoot M4s or flat top ARs, thus they prefer to remove the spacer. HK416 is a good example. Thus, Aimpoint leaves it up to the shooter to decide when to put Loctite on the bolts. Bottomline is that the CompM4 QRPII mount is a rugged and reliable mount, as evidenced by the numerous "throw it across the range, reinstall and shoot same POA/POI" demos that I have conducted using it. Just remember to Loctite the bolts once you get it set for the carbine/rifle you are going to install it upon.

That said, if you prefer a different mount for the CompM4 like a LaRue Tactical have at it. I have one installed on one of my demo models. Just don't believe the fallacy that an after market mount is a necessity for the CompM4.

S/F

Buck
12-03-07, 14:34
The Troy folding rear sight is a great BUIS and if you are using an optic with magnification, like an ACOG, it is at the top of the list… Its method of attachment, a screw, suffers from the same problem that is common to all products that are screwed onto an AR rifle… That is that if the threads are not locktighted in place they will vibrate lose… It does not matter who made it, Larue, Aimpoint, Troy, Knights, GG&G, or anyone else.

As stated above, Laure includes a .05 cent tube of blue locktight with their mounts and recommends that the end user locktight the mount to the optic… Maybe some of the other manufactures Aimpoint, Troy, or S&W who uses Troy sights, will start to include a .05 cent tube of blue locktight at some time in the future too, but please do not discount the fantastic job of engineering and high degree of manufacturing QC that went into the Troy BUIS over some blue locktight…

All that being said, If you want a fixed rear BUIS in the lower 1/3 of a non-magnified optic to use with a fixed F height FSB, I really like the LMT over the Larue… But they will both get the job done… In fact if you have your carry handle that you never plan on using again, you can make a very serviceable fixed BUIS by hacksawing off the rear 1/3 that has the sight and the QD screw mount, cleaning up the cut with a file and some sand paper, and just a dab of bake on black finish…

Just my .02

Buck

FJB
12-06-07, 15:24
Jmoore,
another option for a flip up BUIS is the one made by MATECH (Machine Technologies). The U.S. Military has purchased hundreds of thousands of these for issue with M4s and A4s. I have personal experience with them and they work very well. They come with red Loctite for installation.

S/F

JTrusty
12-06-07, 15:39
The Troy folding rear sight is a great BUIS

Agreed. It is also ideal if you plan on adding an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier down the road.

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/dd2.jpg