PDA

View Full Version : ND results in death - NoVA

tb-av
12-03-11, 09:12
http://www.myfox8.com/news/wtvr-father-kills-self-grocery-store-20111114,0,2864152.story

Shot himself in hip releasing his seat belt? Inside the waistband carry? Or no holster?

Something sounds strange about this.

Sad situation no matter what. 45 years old, two kids and wife.

sammage
12-03-11, 11:45
Mexican carry: http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-father-had-gun-tucked-into-pants-waistband-20111116,0,1545282.story

variablebinary
12-03-11, 12:20
Glock...

I would never Mexican carry a glock. Not very forgiving.

CarlosDJackal
12-03-11, 14:52
Glock...

I would never Mexican carry a glock. Not very forgiving.

Or any DAO semi-automatic pistol.

CarlosDJackal
12-03-11, 14:53
Glock...

I would never Mexican carry a glock...

Or any semi-automatic pistol!!

Belmont31R
12-03-11, 15:16
Use a quality holster and belt.

One reason I don't get why Galco holsters seem to be so popular. When I was dumb (and still am to some extent) I bought a Galco IWB holster for a G19. That stupid thing is so flimsy it collapses so its almost impossible to get the gun in there safely. Always buy a holster that you can easily insert the firearm into and don't need to finagle it in.

And obviously, as this guy paid for the price for, don't stick guns in your pants willy nilly.

Suwannee Tim
12-03-11, 18:30
I know the Glock fans will disagree but my limited experience with Glocks has left me with the impression that it is just too easy to make them go "bang!".

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-03-11, 18:41
I know the Glock fans will disagree but my limited experience with Glocks has left me with the impression that it is just too easy to make them go "bang!".

Im a glock fan, but I agree. It is too easy to have an ND, so any Glock owner needs to be responsible enough not to create an ND.

Moose-Knuckle
12-03-11, 19:07
"Investigators said Wednesday that the gun the victim was carrying was not housed in a holster. They think it was simply tucked into the waistband of the man's pants.

The victim’s wife said she believes that when her husband went to adjust the gun, which had likely shifted and become uncomfortable, accidentally discharged"."

So. . .he got put his booger hook in the trigger guard on a hot GLOCK that was unholstered inside his pants.

As usual, it's not the arrow it's the indian.

I know, I know. . .I'm a cold hearted bastard.

Heavy Metal
12-03-11, 19:20
On a Glock, the safety IS the holster.

Mexican carrying a condition one glock is like playing Russian Roulette with five loaded chambers.

It is an engraved invitation for a visit from Darwin.

Sensei
12-03-11, 19:37
So. . .he got put his booger hook in the trigger guard on a hot GLOCK that was unholstered inside his pants.

I'm not so sure that it was his finger that caused the ND. Simply repositioning oneself can allow articles of clothing or objects on a belt into the trigger guard with a Mexican carry.

As for the victim, I sorry for his family's loss and that they witnessed his death.

Abraxas
12-03-11, 20:01

Yep, right there with you

montanadave
12-03-11, 22:51
What a tragic accident and horrible memory for his children, particularly right at Christmas time.

Pointless to beat up on the deceased for making an extremely poor decision. He's paid the price and his family will continue to pay for years to come.

Just let it serve as an object lesson to the rest of us to always carry a handgun in a proper holster.

Jer
12-04-11, 13:51
I'll join the cold hearted by saying; glad he was the only one harmed from his stupidity. The only thing that could have made this story more tragic is if he hit one if his kids, wife or another random innocent instead of himself from this sort of irresponsibility.

Iraqgunz
12-04-11, 14:25
We discussed this somewhere else when it originally happened and the consensus was that Darwin was alive.

Anyone who carries a handgun (especially a Glock) should be using a holster. Putting a loaded Glock in the pocket, waist band of sweats (Plaxico Burress) need not be surprised by the end results.

RD62
12-04-11, 14:55
This is why negligent discharges are called negligent.

He neglected to use a holster and exercise proper safety.

This was not the faulty of the Glock or any other striker fired handgun.

Holsters are just for holding your weapon, they are also for keeping crap outta the trigger guard thereby preventing or helping to prevent a negligent discharge.

I don't care if its a Glock, M&P, Benetta, Sig, J frame, or the 1911week of your choosing, put the damn thing in a holster!

Robb Jensen
12-04-11, 15:17
Lesson = if your gonna carry like a thug as least carry with nothing in the chamber.

warpigM-4
12-04-11, 16:14
when I did have a Glock 30, I bought one of the waistband clips that attach to the back of the slide and allows you to carry it like a knife clip .
I realized really fast this was a bad Ideal ,never felt safe and was afraid of a discharge .
I got rid of my Glock and went with a HK because it had a safety and I shot it much better .But I still carry My weapon in a holster at all times

Jer
12-04-11, 16:23
when I did have a Glock 30, I bought one of the waistband clips that attach to the back of the slide and allows you to carry it like a knife clip .
I realized really fast this was a bad Ideal ,never felt safe and was afraid of a discharge .
I got rid of my Glock and went with a HK because it had a safety and I shot it much better .But I still carry My weapon in a holster at all times

Sounds like a good reason to get rid of the belt clip for carry instead of the firearm. There is NO gun I would feel safe with that style carry... traditional safety or not.

HK51Fan
12-04-11, 16:46

No you're not. When I read the article and the update, the first thing that popped into my mind was Darwinism!!!!

Moose-Knuckle
12-05-11, 01:25
I don't think anyone here (firearm owners/users) derives any pleasure from this man's demise. The guy was a good enough father/husband that he obtained a CCW permit and carried to protect the wife and kiddos after all (one of us right?).

His fatal mistake was that he thought, "I'm just running up to the store to return a DVD so I don't". . . "need to mess with a holster", or "want to take the few seconds to put it on", or "to change into jeans and wear a belt when my lounge pants are so comfy."

It's tragic, and the real tragedy here is this could have been prevented.

Incidents like this effect the entire gun community. . .

1. The anti's will use this tragedy as dyed in the wool proof that firearms are too dangerous for mere subjects to possess.

2. This guy's wife and kids are going to be petrified of firearms for the rest of their lives and never want to even have to look at another one because every time they see one there going to have images of dad bleeding out in the family mini-van.

3. There are people within the gun community who will cite incidents such as this as to why GLOCKs/DAOs are unsafe and should be avoided like Typhoid Mary's cooking.