PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 magazine issues

Phillygunguy
12-03-11, 12:14
OK now im really pissed ! I haven't shot my M&P 45 in a few weeks I usually keep the mags loaded and unload them when I go to the range
reload with new ammo there .Today I went to unload myh ammo ant the God damn mag follower was stuck half way this happened on both a 10 rd and 14 magazine I took a look at the springs and they seemed to be ok but I cant really rely on these mags now. Other than someone telling me get rid of it and buy a glock or HK can someone tell me if they download their mags each time? or are there better springs? I have had no other problems with it as it shoots everything i feed it Also haven't had this problem with my 9mm So far...

RD62
12-03-11, 12:33
I wouldn't immediately expect the springs to cause the followers to bind.

Have you checked the bodies for signs of rust, gunk, or dents?

cgcorrea
12-03-11, 12:47
I had this problem with a couple of my M&P 45 mags as well. One was a fourteen rounder. I called S&W about it, and they sent me 2 new mag springs for the ten rounders. I switched out springs, and the same thing happened. I switched that spring out with the other new one that S&W sent, and the problem stopped. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I've heard from a couple different people that S&W produced a bad batch of M&P 45 mag springs a while back. I have since then sold the gun, and switched to 9mm Glocks exclusively. Nothing against M&Ps. I still really like the M&P platform. The pistol itself never gave me a single problem.

Phillygunguy
12-03-11, 12:49
I wouldn't immediately expect the springs to cause the followers to bind.

Have you checked the bodies for signs of rust, gunk, or dents?

No its a fairly new no rust no gunk I had to use a pencil to push the follower down to get the spring to snap it back in place Springs appear ok but not 100% sure The thing is I expected this on the 14rd not the 10r mag

C4IGrant
12-03-11, 12:59
You most likely have bad springs. Contact S&W's CS.

C4

Phillygunguy
12-03-11, 13:14
One thing I need to mention I got the 14 rd mag from Midway USA not from SW They sold them cheaper but stated its a factory original mag

DJK
12-03-11, 13:24
You most likely have bad springs. Contact S&W's CS.

C4

+1 to what Grant said. Search the forum. There are at least two threads discussing this issue plus a couple on the M&P Forum. S&W will replace the springs. They replaced several for me.

Phillygunguy
12-03-11, 13:26
Yeah I kinda figured it was the Springs Ill call them But does anyone know if its just the 45s or the 9mm too?

C4IGrant
12-03-11, 13:30
Yeah I kinda figured it was the Springs Ill call them But does anyone know if its just the 45s or the 9mm too?

Just the 45's.

C4

Phillygunguy
12-03-11, 13:33
Just the 45's.

C4
Thanks Grant Ill give them a call

Phillygunguy
12-05-11, 11:00
Ok so I called S&W CS and they said they will send me a few new springs I asked about difference in color tops he said purple is older green is newer and
the newest are black top.I asked how they were different and he said the springs are at a different angle in relationship to the followers so will wait and see. I really hope these work out.

DJK
12-05-11, 11:32
Ok so I called S&W CS and they said they will send me a few new springs I asked about difference in color tops he said purple is older green is newer and
the newest are black top.I asked how they were different and he said the springs are at a different angle in relationship to the followers so will wait and see. I really hope these work out.

Interesting!! Here is a quote from Kenny @ Speed Shooter Specialities on the Brian Enos forums:

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:26 PM
"I called my contact at S&W and was told that there is no change in the 45 magazine springs regardless of color. I didn't dig that answer so, in the M&P Armorers class today I asked the same question. Answer....there is no change in the specs or dimensions on the 45 mag springs, the different colors are just identifiers for the factory people to tell them which vendor the spring came from. The ones we sent out most recently were Purple, the ones we just received are Green."

Sounds to me that S&W CS is not up to speed. I have black, green, & purple and can't see any difference.

backfist
12-05-11, 11:58
I also have green and purple paint on the different springs and they appear to be identical...

nickdrak
12-05-11, 12:01

I have had the follower get stuck on almost every single M&P 9mm magazine I have owned. I had 15 different mags for my 3 M&P9's when I still owned them.

This, along with the unpredictable "Auto-forward" caused malfunction with hollow point ammo I experienced on every single M&P9 I have ever owned or shot was the main reason I sold all of my M&P's and switched back to Glock 9mm's.

I really liked a lot about the M&P platform, and stuck with it for 5 years, but I feel there are too many issues with the magazines of the platform for me to rely on it as my duty/carry weapon.

ETA: Switching the springs in my mags with new factory or aftermarket springs from Speed Shooter Specialties did nothing to improve the function of my M&P9 magazines in-terms of the follower getting stuck.

Phillygunguy
12-05-11, 12:04
Interesting!! Here is a quote from Kenny @ Speed Shooter Specialities on the Brian Enos forums:

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:26 PM
"I called my contact at S&W and was told that there is no change in the 45 magazine springs regardless of color. I didn't dig that answer so, in the M&P Armorers class today I asked the same question. Answer....there is no change in the specs or dimensions on the 45 mag springs, the different colors are just identifiers for the factory people to tell them which vendor the spring came from. The ones we sent out most recently were Purple, the ones we just received are Green."

Sounds to me that S&W CS is not up to speed. I have black, green, & purple and can't see any difference.
Well that's just freakin BS WTF? I mean the pistol itself is great but its useless without a freakin magazine now isn't it ? I might as well go out and find and HK 45 and sell this crap and keep my M&P 9. IT is so God damn frustrating that a company that has been making firearms as long as God has been alive cant do a simple thing like make a decent product. IM not a LEO but You'd think they would worry about loosing some LE contracts and get their shit right.
How are your mags? still having problems ?

DJK
12-05-11, 12:52
Well that's just freakin BS WTF? I mean the pistol itself is great but its useless without a freakin magazine now isn't it ? I might as well go out and find and HK 45 and sell this crap and keep my M&P 9. IT is so God damn frustrating that a company that has been making firearms as long as God has been alive cant do a simple thing like make a decent product. IM not a LEO but You'd think they would worry about loosing some LE contracts and get their shit right.
How are your mags? still having problems ?

Can't really answer about the magazines. I replaced four failed springs and they ran fine, but need to get more rounds through them before I trust them completely. I learned a long time ago to consider magazines expendables. If you run a 1911, magazines are usually the main cause of malfunctions right after a lack of lube and God was on that design team 100 years ago!!:D

Apollo11
12-07-11, 08:15
I had this issue with my mags two years ago. My mags had been loaded for one week, and my spring was bound on three out of three mags. I contacted the LE rep in my area, and he stated that they had this issue with some 45's in NC and it was getting to be more wide spread. I sent 20 mag springs back to S&W, from 10-14 rounders. They kept the things for 4 months "testing" the springs. Their conclusion was the mag staying loaded for too long made the defective springs stand out. I got new springs that were tested and told that they were in compliance.

I don't use the M&P 45 anymore.

Dos Cylindros
12-07-11, 09:36
I hear all these problems with the M&P 45 mag springs and wonder when mine are going to give up the ghost. Mine is a November 2010 manufacture gun, I have four ten round mags for it, and four 14 round mags for it. None of them have experienced any problems, but I do download the 14 round mags to 13 in an effort to stave off any issues. Perhaps I will just call Smith and pony up the $$ for spare springs to replace each mag if it becomes necessary.

Apollo11
12-07-11, 15:36
The thing that sucked for my springs is that they came off a carry gun. Was unloading to take apart and get the lint and crap out of the slide/frame, then unloaded the mags to inspect them; and had the follower stuck on all three. Felt really uneasy after that experience, there was no way to tell they had failed until unloading.

What really pisses me off is that they have said it's happened to others and a few LE agancies, and today it's still happening with the same line of springs. Time to switch spring vendors, eh'?

Phillygunguy
12-08-11, 18:09
The thing that sucked for my springs is that they came off a carry gun. Was unloading to take apart and get the lint and crap out of the slide/frame, then unloaded the mags to inspect them; and had the follower stuck on all three. Felt really uneasy after that experience, there was no way to tell they had failed until unloading.

What really pisses me off is that they have said it's happened to others and a few LE agancies, and today it's still happening with the same line of springs. Time to switch spring vendors, eh'?

Id say with these springs they need to shit or get off the pot either get a new vendor or make better springs Especially if Leos are having problems along with everybody else maybe if more people in the LE community would complain and threaten to go back to carrying glock SW might get the message

Phillygunguy
12-08-11, 18:13
FWIW my M&P 9 pro so far has 750rds with no problems ( fingers crossed) its the damned 45s otherwise I think its a great gun just without the magazine :rolleyes:

ralph
12-08-11, 18:36
Another M&P45 mag problem here..Started having failures to feed, before this 2500 flawless rounds through it..Called S&W, they sent new mag springs (black, orginials were orange if that means anything) Anyway, got out and shot 200 rnds through the resprung mags.I had one failure to feed with each, seemed to stop after the first 100rnds through the new springs. I'm hoping this fixes it..I already have a FS9 that IMO is'nt very accurate,(possible accuracy issues,very reliable though)it sits in the safe,I'm waiting to see if S&W comes out with a redesigned replacement barrel. Replaced it with Walther PPQ..I'd hate to have to replace the .45..Damn thing is a tackdriver,and right now, I can't afford a HK45c...

Odglock
12-08-11, 18:41
I had the same problem with a 14 rd 45 mag. Brand new and it never worked one time.

Phillygunguy
12-08-11, 19:28
Well im still hopeful for some improvement Im Pissed because I bought a holster and 3 mag carriers for the 45 from Raven concealment Just throwing good money after bad :angry:

PieceKeeper
12-08-11, 23:30
I had a similar issue with a couple of my M&P9 mags. When loading the mag, the follower would bind about half way. Cleaning and lubing them would clear up the issue for a while but after running through them about three or four times it'd start happening again.

Not to bash on M&P's, I liked shooting it but I've never had any issue with any of my factory Glock mags. I could really feel the difference. One of the reasons for my decision to move away from the M&P and go back to Glock.

harm152
01-12-12, 22:36
I have had my M&P 45 for a few months now. Have only put several hundred rounds down range though. However, on my most recent range trip, I had the "binding" issue. I took the magazine apart when I got home and found that the spring was bent.... Not sure how that happened... This was the first time I opened the mag.

Titleist
01-12-12, 23:04
After 9 months of waiting S&W finally sent me not a new set of springs, but a whole new mag. So now I have my 14 rounders working (2 mags) and another broken mag.

What the hell, S&W. This is something I plan on talking to reps about in person next week at their booth. Their 10 round mags work...sort of. But you're not alone in the problem. It happened to me back in march.

Now that said I have 10 M&P 17rnd 9mm mags that have probably about 4000 rounds on each of them with no problem. It's the .45 mags that are FUBARd.

sobiloff
01-14-12, 18:31
Strange. I ran 8 of the 14-rounders through a 4-day class and didn't have a problem. They were bought at various times, so they aren't all from the same batch. I even loaded them with my Lula, but only to 13 rounds.

Not that I don't believe you guys are having problems! Just goes to show that you gotta test your gear thoroughly before you start relying on it.

dmaxfireman
01-14-12, 19:51
I just received 6 replacement springs for my 10rd mags yesterday. VERY fast shipping and no questions asked except for how many mags were in need of springs. I said, I had 4 mags with two failures. The customer service rep without hesitation said he would have 6 springs to me by the end of the week.

Titleist
01-14-12, 20:24
I need to call them the week after SHOT once I'm back.

paulkuda
01-18-12, 10:04
I bought my 45 in 2007 and have 4-10 round mags. I have never experience this issue. I clean them after I toss about 1000 rounds through the barrel and never had an issue. I have bare springs with orange tops. I am glad to hear about the issues since this is my EDC, so I will keep a better eye on things.

Sensei
02-12-12, 02:12
I need to call them the week after SHOT once I'm back.

I'm curious as to what came of this...

DocGKR
02-12-12, 12:10
I am around a lot of M&P's, primarily in .40 and .45. Every M&P mag that comes through gets 10-8 baseplates or compact baseplates. The old black .45 mags with the orange springs worked fine, except for some occasional rust. The newer grey color .45 mags with purple springs work fine, but don't get rust. All mags get loaded to 10 rounds without issues. So far, I have yet to see a bad M&P45 mag or mag spring. However, almost all the ones I have seen date from 2010 and earlier; I don't think I saw more than a dozen 2011 made mags last year.

According to our S&W LE rep, evidently there has been bad heat treating of a batch of S&W .45 mag springs. Folks should be getting the current "Black" springs to replace those.

Titleist
02-12-12, 12:13
I'm curious as to what came of this...

I forgot to call, but will this tuesday.

davebee456
03-28-12, 12:54
any updates?

backfist
03-28-12, 13:17
Even after receiving new mag springs from S&W I was still experiencing problems. Enough was enough and I moved the gun.

My M&P in 9mm has been problem free.

Titleist
03-28-12, 13:20
any updates?

I called and left a last week. Still waiting. I'll call again tomorrow.

dmaxfireman
03-28-12, 13:22
Thats odd, only a few days after my phone call I had my 6 new springs in my hand. Granted I am only an hour away from them.

Titleist
03-28-12, 13:51
JUST got off the phone with S&W Customer Support, they asked me how many springs I wanted. I said 3 to 4, as I have 2x 14 round mags plus a busted 14rnd mag.

Basically what happened was about a year ago 1 of my 2 extended mags had the spring fold over, as I posted a long time back. So one working mag, one broken, S&W instead of just sending a spring they sent a WHOLE new 14round mag. So I now had 2 working mags and another broken one just sitting in the parts box.

Either way I can now get all 3 mags updated, grab a 10-8 plates for the disabled 14 round mag, done and done.

We'll see if they're the black springs like Doc mentioned. Should be.

Sensei
03-28-12, 14:44
I suppose the big question is whether S&W has actually fixed the spring problem.