PDA

View Full Version : makers of AOW's?

stitchclimber
12-03-11, 18:11
thinking it'd be fun to pick up a pen gun, or some other fun NFA toy.

Do you have to find a local SOT to fab something up? or are there dealers that sell these?

Iraqgunz
12-04-11, 00:08
AFAIK the manufacture of an AOW incurs the same fee as everything else, but the subsequent transfers do not.

I assume it would depend on what was being made, but I think an individual can do it themselves.

thinking it'd be fun to pick up a pen gun, or some other fun NFA toy.

Do you have to find a local SOT to fab something up? or are there dealers that sell these?

stitchclimber
12-04-11, 00:38
AFAIK the manufacture of an AOW incurs the same fee as everything else, but the subsequent transfers do not.

I assume it would depend on what was being made, but I think an individual can do it themselves.

The fees to make one are included in an FFL/SOT's year Special Operations Tax, and then a $5 tax for xfer.

compared to the $200 manf tax I would incur.

viperashes
12-04-11, 03:34
The fees to make one are included in an FFL/SOT's year Special Operations Tax, and then a $5 tax for xfer.

compared to the $200 manf tax I would incur.

I think you meant to say "Special Occupation Tax". ;)

There are different classes of license. What comes to mind is Serbu, they manufacture super shorty pump shotguns with a folding foregrip. They classify as AOWs, so they transfer for a $5 tax rather than a $200 tax for a SBS without the foregrip would.

A dealer could transfer you one, if you can actually find something somewhere that someone was wanting to sell. If not, you can always make an AOW, but you would have to pay the $200 making tax.

stitchclimber
02-03-13, 13:04
bumping an older thread. Same question.

Raven Armament
02-03-13, 13:21
There are SOTs with AOWs in stock ready for transfer. Just look around at online dealers. Depends what you are looking to buy. The AOW shotguns are about the easiest to find. Serbu is probably the most well known that converts Mossberg and Remington PGO shotguns to AOWs. Some of the older more well established SOTs can help you find one. I'm talking the "old guard" of SOTs that have been doing this since the 70s and 80s like Bowers, Recon Ordnance, Long Mountain Outfitters, etc. Contact those guys and they'll have contacts to get what you want.