PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Xtreme Ammo

DemonRat
12-04-11, 00:23
I was informed about these today by a fellow fire fighter. They are made here in Oregon and they look wicked mean.
http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=GC9MMXP
Seems like a decent defensive round.
What do you guys think. I asked them if they have it for a .40 S&W. I am just curious as to everyone's opinion on these. I am interested in getting some for my wife's handgun which is a 9mm. Would these be good for self defense. If I do get some I plan on doing some water jug tests and see how many they go thru.
This particular round is a 9mm +p 110 gr Xtreme. 1350 fps.

Ouroborous
12-04-11, 12:18
Here's a review of the Grizzly .45:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvUhGp0mRc

GunnutAF
12-04-11, 12:32
Well gee at $4 plus per round that should impress any criminal that you'd use such high priced ammo to shoot him!!:jester: Nice expansion though!! But how far do they penertrate actual gel/ water jugs/perps! By the video it didn't do to well as I saw no hole in the plywood board behind that single jug of Koolaid!!:confused: That would be a fail as far as SD use!

gringop
12-04-11, 14:28
Here's a review of the Grizzly .45:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvUhGp0mRc

So, was the water test to see how high up it splashed when shot into the barrel? If so, Sofa King retarded.

Gringop

montanadave
12-04-11, 14:51
So, was the water test to see how high up it splashed when shot into the barrel? If so, Sofa King retarded.

Gringop

I'm thinking it's to allow the recovery of a fully expanded but undeformed bullet, as exhibited in the clip.

Nephrology
12-04-11, 16:36
Looks like a gimmick.

I am quite happy with Gold Dots thank you very much.

DemonRat
12-04-11, 16:51
Looks like a gimmick.

Yeah I saw that video and wasn't impressed with the way the test was done.
So far I am quite happy with my Federal Hydra-shoks that I have. I was just curious about these. I do think they look wicked mean. But as Nephrology has stated they do look like a gimmick.

Ouroborous
12-04-11, 22:10

Gringop

I'll have to err on side of yes:)
I just found the video on YouTube and posted it hoping it'd help the op. What was it like $60 for a box of 20? Even if it were the best available it's too expensive for my taste.

Federal Hydra-shoks and Wichester Ranger hp's are what I have for HD. Good enough for me.

.45fmjoe
12-04-11, 23:12
Federal Hydra-shoks are a horribly outdated design that is know to fail when fired into clothed humans, why does anyone still buy those rounds?

And I'll stick to what the good doctor has tested. I wish I could say the same for my duty ammunition but that decision is made way above my pay grade. Nothing like taking the .40 S&W round and reducing its weight to 11 grains more than 9mm. So much for that increased vehicle penetration performance...which is odd since half my agency's officers deal with nothing but vehicles every day.

Generalpie
12-05-11, 00:36
I wish I could say the same for my duty ammunition but that decision is made way above my pay grade. Nothing like taking the .40 S&W round and reducing its weight to 11 grains more than 9mm. So much for that increased vehicle penetration performance...which is odd since half my agency's officers deal with nothing but vehicles every day.

I hear that. I'm carrying hydra-shok 40's but at least the .223 ammo is good stuff.

DemonRat
12-05-11, 19:11
I was given a 3 cases of these, that's why I have them. I didn't pay a dime for them so I do shoot them as my plinking ammo. I was told about these grizzly's and was just wanting to get some input from M4C and what the people here thought about them. After I get rid of all my Hydra-shoks I do plan on going with Winchester Rangers or something Doc has put thru the gel and posted on here. I am just not sure what yet. There are to many options and not enough money in my bank to buy them all and shoot them. I am still reading all the ballistics that Doc has done and learning a lot about what I would need to use. I am more worried about my wife her ability's to shoot someone that intends to do her harm. She's never really been around someone who is into firearms like I am. So the past ten yrs have been an experience for her as she says.

Nephrology
12-05-11, 19:24
I was given a 3 cases of these, that's why I have them. I didn't pay a dime for them so I do shoot them as my plinking ammo. I was told about these grizzly's and was just wanting to get some input from M4C and what the people here thought about them. After I get rid of all my Hydra-shoks I do plan on going with Winchester Rangers or something Doc has put thru the gel and posted on here. I am just not sure what yet. There are to many options and not enough money in my bank to buy them all and shoot them. I am still reading all the ballistics that Doc has done and learning a lot about what I would need to use. I am more worried about my wife her ability's to shoot someone that intends to do her harm. She's never really been around someone who is into firearms like I am. So the past ten yrs have been an experience for her as she says.

For replacements for the Hydra-Shoks, just go with whatever is on the list in Terminal Ballistics and the same weight/velocity as the hydra shoks.