PDA

View Full Version : After you pull the trigger

K.L. Davis
06-08-06, 18:55
I originally posted this on a different forum, but it got emailed around enough that someone actually emailed it back to me! Good reading, I will go through and clean it up later -- tacos wait right now!

==============================
In order to understand this, there are a few things
about the functioning of the AR that have to be
defined, I am away from most of my notes and stuff, so
most of the figures given are from memory... but
should be pretty close. For this description, the
standard rifle gas system is with the gas port located
at 13.0" and having a 20" barrel... the standard
carbine system is with the port at 7.5" and a barrel
of 14.5"

The pressures at the gas ports are: 13.5K for the
rifle and 26K for the carbine -- or twice as much.

The dwell time (the time that the gas system is
charged with high pressure) is determined by the
amount of barrel after the gas port. These are nearly
identical between the rifle and the carbine.

Pressure from the port is regulated only by the size
of the gas port and the diameter of the barrel.

These two factors determine the internal bolt
pressure, the maximum pressure that is obtained in the
bolt carrier/piston combination -- for the rifle this
pressure is about 1000psi and for the carbine it is
over 1500psi, half again as much.

When the rifle is fired, primer shot sets the bullet
forward until it contacts the rifling, at this point
the powder charge ignites and sets the shell case
fully back, binds the action and start to propel the
bullet. The bullet jumps slightly again and is etched
by the rifling... it stops again very briefly as the
pressures build to a point for the bullet to overcome
the mechanical advantage of the rifling twist and the
! bullet starts to spin, at this point the chamber
pressure is at max, 50K plus (there are some that
believe there is another, third stop the bullet makes
and some testing suggest this may be true).

As the chamber pressures start to climb, the brass
case expands and becomes plastic, this is essential to
seal the case in the chamber -- the correct term for
this is Obturation, when the case is obturated and
sealed, it is stuck in the chamber, practically welded
in really.

The Lock Time, or the time that the action remains
locked with no attempt to start unlocking is very
important... on the rifle, the lock time is about 550
microseconds, the lock time for the carbine is about
375 microseconds -- this may not seem like much, but
it is much shorter of a time, also keep mind that the
chamber pressures are twice as high in the carbine
when the unlocking starts.

What does all of this mean? When the carbine is fired,
the system attempts to unlock earlier than intended
and while the case is still fully obtucated... this
results in the action bind delaying the unlocking and
stressing the system. As the 5.56N is not drastically
tapered, "squirting" is not a big problem in most
guns. When the internal bolt pressures finally unlock
the bolt, the velocity of the reward movement in the
carbine is much higher than what the rifle was
designed for, it also must start extraction of the
obtucated case... as you know, the AR does not have
any sort of initial extraction, perhaps the single
biggest shortcoming of the design. This has been known
to cause ripped case heads...

At this point, as the bolt start to unlock, it is
rotated to unlock... due to much higher velocities
with the carbine, the rotation of the bolt creates
some centrifical force and helps to "float" the extractor...
the extractor on the AR is not balanced and the
forward part of it weighs more -- some argue that the
pressure of the extracted cartridge case keeps the
case head against the bolt face and test have shown
that the extractor does not generate enough force to
actually life from the case, but the fact is that the
extractor does float enough to negate some of the
spring pressure, and the contact with the case
rim becomes "soft". For this reason, it is much more
likely that the extractor will simply pop off, rather
than actually rip the case.

Balanced extractors and different designs have been
developed (LMT), but the best solution to date has
been stronger extractor springs and spring buffers.
That about covers the FTE issues...

Back to bolt velocity. The high speed of the bolt has
a couple of other detrimental effects, one of the most
common is that the bolt is cycled so fast that as it
returns to battery, it actually has enough force to
"bounce" off of the barrel extension when closing and
locking... this bounce back is very small, but can be
enough to cause the weapon not to fire... this "bolt
bounce" is pretty well known.

One other problem is that the bolt can cycle so fast
the magazine spring can not keep up with it and the
round stack is not properly aligned and forced back
into place before the bolt returns to batter --
therefore there is no new cartridge picked up and the
bolt closes on an empty chamber, this is what some
call "ghost loading", or bolt-over-base jams... this
is far worse in full auto fire as the bolt does
actually move faster in full auto than semi auto; this
is due to the fact that the top cartridge in the
magazine does not apply force to the bottom to the
bolt causing drag.

The common solution to this issue is to use a stronger
recoil spring and a heavier buffer... this works, but
is treating the symptom, not the problem.

PigTail and expansion chamber gas tubes attempt to
fool the rifle into thinking that the gas port is,
located further away that it really is, but they are
not as good of a solution as actually moving the gas
port out...

I guess that about covers it for a quick rundown, of
course all of this is not nearly as simple as it
sounds.

Aubrey
09-07-06, 11:55
K.L.,

Thanks for posting this, as I had not seen it before and am truly intrigued about the effects that the different component selections have on the weapon's operation and, particularly, on its reliability and durability.

I'd much appreciate it if you could take it a step further and elaborate on the so-called "mid-length" gas system and the advantages/disadvantages of its application with various barrel lengths (including specifics on gas-port and bolt pressures, etc.).

Perhaps it's the subject of another thread, and I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam before, but I'm very curious what the optimal combinations of buffer weights, carrier mass, and recoil-spring rates are for the various barrel/gas-system lengths.

Again, thanks for sharing.

K.L. Davis
09-09-06, 11:02
Aubrey,

Sorry for missing this earlier... I am actually about to leave for a short deployment and don't have a lot of time right now, if this works out like most though, I will have time to address it during the week (if we have internet).

So, for a quick answer... I am a big fan of the midlength system and have advocated it for a few years now, the pressures are tamed down a lot and on a 16" barrel it makes for probably the best all around rifle package.

When we first did the midlength 14.5" in 2002, I did a lot of testing with port sizes and buffer weights -- the only thing that I would caution against using with a 14.5" midlength and telestock, is not to use the real heavy buffers (9mm et al) as we experienced some issues in cold weather with this setup.

I will write up more later, but if I were to recommend one rifle for the most practical "do all" setup, it would be a 16" barrel and midlength system.

Austin_Nichols
02-06-07, 00:33
the AR does not have
any sort of initial extraction, perhaps the single
biggest shortcoming of the design.

Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks.

urbankaos04
02-12-07, 21:16
Aubrey,

I will write up more later, but if I were to recommend one rifle for the most practical "do all" setup, it would be a 16" barrel and midlength system.

Is there an ideal buffer weight for the above setup? I received an "H" buffer with my MagPul CTR kit. Just wondering what your thougths were.

ETA: Found what I think is an answer in antoher thread. Seems like some people prefer to run an H2 buffer, but an "H" buffer also appears to be "just fine." Either way, something heavier than a "standard" weight buffer is preferred. However, having a heavier buffer appears to MORE of an issue in a CARBINE length system, where the sytem takes more of a beating due to the shorter gas tube.

coldblue
06-16-07, 17:07
Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks.

In bootcamp, we were taught that the M14 had "slow initial extraction." That was because the M14 extractor was designed to "bite" the case rim as it rotated as the bolt was unlocking. Must have been the same way on the M1 Garand. And I guess every Mauser bolt gun ever made.
Later, when we were introduced to the M16 before deploying to Viet-Nam, the Instructors said it did not have slow initial extraction. That was one of the reasons they made us clean the crap out of the M16, especially the chamber.

SHIVAN
08-18-07, 15:52
Bump...

sinister
12-09-08, 12:24
http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tech%20Note%2048,%20Barrel%20Design,%20Heat,%20and%20Reliability,%20030824….pdf

woofe
12-09-08, 16:52
I've had that picture in my head for years and at times tried to put it to paper. I did fairly well, but not nearly as good as your description.

woofe

Abraxas
12-09-08, 18:46
port out...

Do you know why this is?

Failure2Stop
12-09-08, 19:18
Do you know why this is?

One reason that I know is gas port erosion, which is linked to the distance from the chamber to the port.

taliv
12-09-08, 19:32
would have loved to see an extra line on that pressure curve graph fired with a suppressor

the date on that was '03, right? any progress made on ammo transferring heat somewhere besides the barrel in the last 5 years?

thx for posting, btw

Outlander Systems
12-09-08, 19:57
This thread is screamin' for a "Sticky".

taliv
12-09-08, 20:17
i'm not a mechanical/materials engineer, holiday inn, yada yada, but that statement regarding removing heat from the action being one of the functions of the brass has sort of captured my attention for the moment.

Specifically, I'm wondering how brass vs steel cased cartridges would perform relatively at that task.

according to this site
http://www.engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm

The specific heat for brass is .096 compared to .110 btu/lb/*F for steel, meaning, if I recollect my high school physics correctly, that steel has about a 15% advantage in storing heat (or rather, it takes 15% more energy to heat steel to the same temp as brass)

but more interesting is the thermal conductivity, where brass is 69.33 btu/(hr-ft-F) compared to 8.11 for steel.

(no wonder it's so hard to anneal brass properly!)

my question is, don't these numbers mean the chamber would stay somewhat cooler firing steel-cased ammo than brass-cased ammo?

would that difference be worth someone manufacturing quality steel-cased ammo?

Iraqgunz
12-10-08, 12:56
A little on gas port erosion. A few years back I was working at a facility that had several hundred BM carbines that were being used for training. One thing that we were noticing is that some of the weapons were having gas related mafunctions even after we replaced the rings, gas tubes, checked the carrier keys, etc...When we borescoped the barrels we saw that the gas ports were significantly enlarged and probably were the cause as the gas wasn't properly regulated.

At that point we began replacing the barrels and problem was solved.

One reason that I know is gas port erosion, which is linked to the distance from the chamber to the port.

TooTall
06-09-11, 23:51
Hi all,

First time post here, but long time shooter and member of other forums.
Anyway, I came across this thread while Googling for info on gas port pressure.
Very interesting and detailed article, K.L. Davis, thanks.:)
I have a couple of questions regarding this article and some other related ones too.

Pressure from the port is regulated only by the size
of the gas port and the diameter of the barrel.

One other problem is that the bolt can cycle so fast
the magazine spring can not keep up with it and the
round stack is not properly aligned and forced back
into place before the bolt returns to batter --
therefore there is no new cartridge picked up and the
bolt closes on an empty chamber, this is what some
call "ghost loading", or bolt-over-base jams... this
is far worse in full auto fire as the bolt does
actually move faster in full auto than semi auto; this
is due to the fact that the top cartridge in the
magazine does not apply force to the bottom to the
bolt causing drag.

I can see how the port pressure would be affected by port diameter, but how would bore dia affect it? Is it a case of a larger bore creates a larger volume of gas to draw from? In which case, a larger bore gives greater port pressure?

Or do I have it backwards? Is it a situation where a .223 case necked up to 7mm as in the 7mm TCU has the same amount of powder, but is "spread thinner" in a larger bore? In which case, a 7mm TCU gives less pressure than a .223?

Or have I missed it completely?:confused:

Second, what do you mean by the FA being faster than the SA due to the round not applying drag to the bottom of the bolt in FA mode?
I assumed that the cycling is the same, only difference being the secondary sear does not hold back the hammer.

Next, I realize this is a M4/AR15 forum, so this next question is not really relevant, but sort of related to gas systems in general.
Does the size of the piston face make a difference? If a set amount of gas is tapped off a barrel, would a larger dia piston have more opening force than a smaller one? I would think so.

I have an interest in this stuff, so thanks to all that can offer answers.
Can anyone recommend a good technical book that explains gun design and internal ballistics?

Cheers,

Dean

Bowser
06-10-11, 02:40
Makes me want to build a 20" for sure now. lol

MistWolf
06-10-11, 05:59
Port size does not regulate pressure into the gas tube. It regulates flow (CFM, or Cubic Feet Per Minute) which determines how quickly the system fills and comes up to pressure.

Diameter of the piston that the gas applies force to does make a difference

markm
06-10-11, 08:45
Makes me want to build a 20" for sure now. lol

Do it. Busting out the musket every now and again is a true pleasure. Nice smooth shooting with neat little piles of brass gently trinkling onto the dirt. :cool:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3731.jpg

glen
06-10-11, 09:58
I remember reading this before.

This was fundamental in helping me to understand the AR gas system. Thank you for posting this then and now. :)

ALCOAR
06-10-11, 10:03

markm
06-10-11, 11:39
That's my own vise. $20 swap meet purchased 20 years ago. :cool:

Sgt_Gold
06-10-11, 19:53
port out...

Do you know why this is?

If you want to lower the pressure in the gas system of a weapon, you increase the volume of the gas system itself. A pig tail or expansion chamber in the gas system increases the volume of the system, and that lowers the pressure of the gas in the system.

lifebreath
06-10-11, 22:26
Port size does not regulate pressure into the gas tube. It regulates flow (CFM, or Cubic Feet Per Minute) which determines how quickly the system fills and comes up to pressure.

It regulates pressure indirectly by its relationship to the dwell time, which is dependent on the length of the barrel after the port. For example, if the port it too small, enough pressure does not build up before the bullet exits the barrel. Conversely, if the barrel is short and dwell time is short, the port needs to be opened larger to allow a faster flow of gas into the system to get the pressure up to the required level before the bullet exits the barrel.

MistWolf
06-11-11, 14:05
If you want to lower the pressure in the gas system of a weapon, you increase the volume of the gas system itself. A pig tail or expansion chamber in the gas system increases the volume of the system, and that lowers the pressure of the gas in the system.

The increase in volume using a pigtail in a gas tube is very small. Expanding the internal diameter of the gas tube will have a larger effect. It's possible either change will not have a practical effect in pressure or dwell time. Either way, it's purely theoretical speculation until it's proven by math and/or the change in results are measured

It regulates pressure indirectly by its relationship to the dwell time, which is dependent on the length of the barrel after the port. For example, if the port it too small, enough pressure does not build up before the bullet exits the barrel. Conversely, if the barrel is short and dwell time is short, the port needs to be opened larger to allow a faster flow of gas into the system to get the pressure up to the required level before the bullet exits the barrel.

That's what I said. Port size controls flow (CFM) which determines how fast the system comes up to pressure, not how much pressure will be allowed into the system. If the system were closed, gas would flow through the port until pressure was equal on both sides. A pressure regulator would only allow gases to flow through until the pressure on the outflow side reached a predetermined level

MarkG
06-11-11, 18:01
Pressure from the port is regulated only by the size of the gas port and the diameter of the barrel.

Enlarging the gas port increases VOLUME, not pressure.

TooTall
06-11-11, 23:28
Enlarging the gas port increases VOLUME, not pressure.

Yes, that makes sense, but if the volume of gas that flows through the port is limited by the diameter, wouldn't that in turn affect the overall pressure?
In other words, if the pressure in the barrel is 10,000 PSI at the port location, but the gas system is fed by a tiny hole for a very short time, would the gas system actually see the same 10,000 PSI ?

MistWolf
06-12-11, 00:52
Yes, that makes sense, but if the volume of gas that flows through the port is limited by the diameter, wouldn't that in turn affect the overall pressure?
In other words, if the pressure in the barrel is 10,000 PSI at the port location, but the gas system is fed by a tiny hole for a very short time, would the gas system actually see the same 10,000 PSI ?

Port size controls volume flow (usually expressed in Cubic Feet per Minute) only. What controls pressure is the BCG. Once the pressure inside the BCG reaches a certain point, it begins moving until exposing the vent holes and dumps the pressure overboard

ForTehNguyen
06-12-11, 09:26

pressure would be the same, just more gas of that same pressure will flow through.

TooTall
06-20-11, 16:40
Can anyone recommend some really good books on internal ballistics and on designing semi auto guns?
I have a pdf of Theory of the Interior Ballistics of Guns, by J. Corner.
(I just recently got it and havent read it yet, but it was recommended.)
Any other titles I should look for?

bad timing
06-26-11, 00:49
Great read thank you

ZRH
06-26-11, 21:06
Can anyone recommend some really good books on internal ballistics and on designing semi auto guns?
I have a pdf of Theory of the Interior Ballistics of Guns, by J. Corner.
(I just recently got it and havent read it yet, but it was recommended.)
Any other titles I should look for?

There is no light reading material on this. There are a lot of articles in the Journal of Applied Physics,
Fiser, M. and Popelinsky, L. Small Arms
Peter, H. Mechanical Engineering. PRINCIPLES OF ARMAMENT DESIGN
Hayes, J., T. Elements of Ordnance
lots of papers from these guys -> http://www.unob.cz

TooTall
06-27-11, 04:30
Thanks, ZRH. I'll have a look for some of those titles.

SlayerG2-1
08-09-11, 11:55
As I understand it...
According to Boyle's Law, in any closed system, volume and pressure of gas are inversely proportional. The gas system of the AR-15 is a closed system until the bullet exits the muzzle, at which time the pressure within the gas system rapidly drops to atmospheric. Gas port diameter really controls resistance of gas entering the gas tube, that is how quickly it allows the gas tube to fill and the gas to reach the carrier key (gas lag time). The volume in the system is dependent on barrel length and gas tube length because both of these allow for more room for the gas to expand...as the gas is given more room to expand, the pressure within the system decreases. In short, you cannot affect volume or pressure of gas without also affecting the other; they are not independent.

Dirtyboy333
08-10-11, 01:09
As I understand it...
According to Boyle's Law, in any closed system, volume and pressure of gas are inversely proportional. The gas system of the AR-15 is a closed system until the bullet exits the muzzle, at which time the pressure within the gas system rapidly drops to atmospheric. Gas port diameter really controls resistance of gas entering the gas tube, that is how quickly it allows the gas tube to fill and the gas to reach the carrier key (gas lag time). The volume in the system is dependent on barrel length and gas tube length because both of these allow for more room for the gas to expand...as the gas is given more room to expand, the pressure within the system decreases. In short, you cannot affect volume or pressure of gas without also affecting the other; they are not independent.
Thats exactly what i was thinking....Their dependent upon one another. So, a smaller GP would delay the pressure build up which would result in less pressure throughout the time of pressurization when compared to a larger port???

patrick sweeney
08-10-11, 12:01
There are more gas laws than just Mssr. Boyle's.

Yes, port size does matter, otherwise goofs with drills couldn't screw up otherwise properly-gassed rifles.

What the port size does, within limits, is act as a throttling aperture. a smaller port will delay pressurization, but the gas tube (the complete system) will reach full pressure, and quickly. The definition of work is "area under the curve." The delay may not have as much effect on work as you might think.

The system is just that: a system. you have a balance of pressure, onset time, gas expansion, dwell time, etc. Yes, you can change one of them, and the others will adjust, but you're just fiddling around on the margins.