PDA

View Full Version : My $400.00 Beretta 92FS flea market purchase.

ghostman1960
12-04-11, 19:35
This is my first Beretta 92 and I really do not know much about them yet. I have plenty of reading to do. I was at a flea market today and came across a table run by an older gentleman selling off some of his guns.

He had a few Taurus autos of various configurations, a beat to hell Sig and this Beretta 92. He was asking $465.00 for it and I offered $400.00 for it and he readily accepted.

I would say the gun is in about 98-99% condition and does not to seem to be have fired much if at all. Excuse the crappy cell phone picture.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/2011-12-04200428.jpg

just a scout
12-04-11, 19:40
I have a 92FS from 1991 that has literally over 10,000 rounds through it. Never one malfunction, and still running strong. I replaced the sights with Trijicons, that need to be replaced again due to age, and replaced the grips with Hogue wrap-arounds. It has been taken over by my wife.

montanadave
12-04-11, 19:44
You done good!

MAUSER202
12-04-11, 20:12
Flea market? Did you do paperwork on it? I don't want to see you get burnt. By me that is about the going rate at a gun show.

ghostman1960
12-04-11, 20:45
Flea market? Did you do paperwork on it? I don't want to see you get burnt. By me that is about the going rate at a gun show.

No paperwork. It was conducted as a private sale. All perfectly legal here in Florida. I am happy with the price I paid for it.

TOrrock
12-04-11, 21:01
Well done. If you need a manual I've got one I can mail you.

ghostman1960
12-04-11, 21:04
Well done. If you need a manual I've got one I can mail you.

Thank you for the offer sir. It came with the box, manual, cleaning kit and two mags.

TOrrock
12-04-11, 21:18
Thank you for the offer sir. It came with the box, manual, cleaning kit and two mags.

No worries. Sounds like you made out like a bandit.

CDNN has a good deal on factory Beretta OEM mags.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/be92f9mm15it1.html

556A2
12-04-11, 21:47
Excellent

Now order a D mainspring to make the trigger much better.

ucrt
12-04-11, 21:48

FWIW,
Don't buy the GI issued mags found at gun shows, they have been problematic in my son's 92FS. Stick with Beretta or MecGar mags.

But maybe it's just me...

Cobra66
12-04-11, 21:49
Nicely done!

I payed the same amount about 15 years ago for a FTF at a show. Looks like a fairly recent production gun (past 10 years) as it has the slanted dust cover and the radiused back strap. If you want to date it, I'll give you the link or you can just go to Beretta's web site and check yourself.

If that DA pull gives you grief, throw a "D" spring in it. All my Berettas are so equipped as it really does smooth out the DA pull and even makes the already nice SA pull even nicer.

As our "Poor Fellow Soldier of Christ and the Temple of Solomon" has already mentioned, factory high caps can be had a great deals these days. Stick with either Beretta factory mags, MDS (a Beretta subsidiary), or Mec-Gar magazines.

ghostman1960
12-04-11, 22:01
Nicely done!

I payed the same amount about 15 years ago for a FTF at a show. Looks like a fairly recent production gun (past 10 years) as it has the slanted dust cover and the radiused back strap. If you want to date it, I'll give you the link or you can just go to Beretta's web site and check yourself.

If that DA pull gives you grief, throw a "D" spring in it. All my Berettas are so equipped as it really does smooth out the DA pull and even makes the already nice SA pull even nicer.

As our "Poor Fellow Soldier of Christ and the Temple of Solomon" has already mentioned, factory high caps can be had a great deals these days. Stick with either Beretta factory mags, MDS (a Beretta subsidiary), or Mec-Gar magazines.

I found that Beretta website that gives the date of manufacture by serial number here: http://www.berettasupport.com/applications/php_serialhistory/serial_form1.htm Mine was made in 2009.

Armati
12-05-11, 09:13
From time to time you will find good deals on the 92F just like this. I always look for them. The 92FS is sort of out of vogue with the Glock and M&P getting all of the hot press. However it is still a very viable weapon.

The M9/92FS has gotten some bad press mostly from improper maintenance and bad mags. The LAV has some great articles on the proper use of the M9. Google for them.

Pork Chop
12-05-11, 10:51
Well done!

I'd gladly have given $400 for that, good find.

Hammertime
12-05-11, 11:12
Great buy. You should get 20-30k rounds through it before you should have to worry about the locking block or small parts. You will like it - they have been very reliable for me.

Bryant

Univibe
12-05-11, 17:02
Yo, a dude I did some business with gave me one free of charge. I took it to the range 4 times, expended about 500 rounds of ammo. I couldn't hit anything. That long double action first shot messed me up.

So I took it to a show and traded it even-steven for a Browning Hi-Power. Instant grooviness.

Your mileage may vary.

Wildcat
12-05-11, 17:03
Excellent

Now order a D mainspring to make the trigger much better.

If you're going to order springs, you might want a spare trigger return spring as well.

Also, I second the recommendation for MecGar mags.

ghostman1960
12-05-11, 17:32
Yo, a dude I did some business with gave me one free of charge. I took it to the range 4 times, expended about 500 rounds of ammo. I couldn't hit anything. That long double action first shot messed me up.

So I took it to a show and traded it even-steven for a Browning Hi-Power. Instant grooviness.

Your mileage may vary.

Seriously? You couldn't hit anything after 500 rounds? You should reassess whether you should own a gun or not.

MegademiC
12-05-11, 17:49
My buddy got a 92 NIB for ~$400 at his door... once you get below $450, your stealing them. Great guns, pleasure to shoot and accurate. Good buy, man.

Hound_va
12-05-11, 19:16
Seriously? You couldn't hit anything after 500 rounds? You should reassess whether you should own a gun or not.

Now THAT'S funny!!

loupav
12-06-11, 09:16
Excellent work there my friend!

Shabazz
12-06-11, 10:59
Finding a good gun at a flea market is as rare as finding a winning lottery ticket in your pocket lint.