PDA

View Full Version : Custom Suppressed SBR - What are my options?

Ironman8
12-04-11, 19:35
Ok so I've been trying to figure this out, and just decided to start my own thread to get some ideas from you guys...

Here is what I want to do:
I have a Carbine VIS (7" handguard) and want to convert this to as short a suppressed/SBR package as possible.

Here is the plan:
Use an Ops Inc suppressor such as the M4M to index back over a longer barrel (vs an end mount suppressor) and sit flush with the end of the carbine VIS upper....this would yield an overall barrel/suppressor length of 13".

Why Ops? Mostly because they are one of the few that will warranty a 5.56 suppressor on a sub-10" bbl. Also, I can use a longer barrel due to the "indexing over barrel" design of the Ops suppressors. This would give better ballistics than would a 7.5" bbl with end mount suppressor. Also I'm going with the M4M over the M4S for the better suppression characteristics.

Based on my numbers and understanding about how an Ops suppressor mounts, I would need exactly 2.375" of barrel length behind the crown of the muzzle to mount the suppressor flush with the VIS 7" handguard (.625" of threads + 1.75" from the shoulder of the barrel to where the back of the suppressor indexes on the collar = 2.375")...we'll just call it 2.4" for simplicity...

Here's the problem:
Where do I find a 9.4" barrel with a pistol length gas system to make this work? (A carbine length gas system wouldn't work due to the gas block getting in the way).

Options that I've come up with so far:

1) Cut down a bbl with a midlength gas system right behind the gas port, and drill a new gas port where the pistol length port would be. (I believe that the gas port on a midlength is located at 9.8" based on some research, but I might be wrong)

2) Cut down a barrel with a carbine gas system to the length that I need, plug the gas port with a 4-40x1/8" set screw, and drill a new port at the pistol length position.

3) Get a custom barrel made to my specs...though I don't know who would do it or if this can even be done.

4) ???

If you guys have any suggestions or other options, then let me know. Please don't tell me "just get a 10.5" and be done with it"...I have done my research, know what I want, and don't mind the extra expense and trouble of cutting/threading/drilling a barrel. Just want to know if I'm missing something or not thinking about an easier option.

AR15barrels
12-04-11, 21:34
Start with a heavy profile barrel with no gas port drilled and profile the OPS mount dimensions right into the barrel blank.
Then either use a clamp-on gas block or use a larger diameter gas block than is needed to slide past the OPS mounting collar.

Here is a barrel I did years ago with an integral Troy mount:

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/300-221-troy2.jpg

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/300-221-troy3.jpg

Ironman8
12-04-11, 21:44
Thanks for the reply!

Where would I get a barrel blank? I guess you say heavy profile so that use of the collar isn't necessary right? Suppressor mounts up to the barrel instead of collar?

Are there standard barrel blanks that I could use for this if I wanted to go ahead with the collar system and standard gas blocks?

TehLlama
12-04-11, 23:40
Having gone through the hassle of a custom job (M4S) with the exact same purpose in mind, on a dedicated suppressed unit, my suggestion before reading the last part was exactly the '10.5" and be done', or considering scrapping the 7" VIS and going with the old school JP/VTAC, PRI CFFFT, or Spike's BAR handguards and running them SD style with the suppressor partially covered.

From there, if you're planning on running the VIS, cutting down an existing barrel would seem to be the preferred option - if you can find a medium contour barrel (with the right twist and CL/NC, barrel material) you'll have an easier time with rearranging ports, although the idea I've been toying with is if it would be easier to have a custom machined gas block that would serve as the collar (would need a small lip on the barrel profile to butt up against) and run a LW profile barrel everywhere else, and have that gas block be a custom .625 job.

Finally, if muzzle velocity makes you difference to you, the outright simplest option would be to have ADCO make an extended version of the end-attach collar/extension setup. It isn't added barrel, but would take an existing 7.5" barrel and be able to make it work with minimal added modification, and require zero alterations to the gas system.

Ironman8
12-05-11, 00:09
Having gone through the hassle of a custom job (M4S) with the exact same purpose in mind, on a dedicated suppressed unit, my suggestion before reading the last part was exactly the '10.5" and be done', or considering scrapping the 7" VIS and going with the old school JP/VTAC, PRI CFFFT, or Spike's BAR handguards and running them SD style with the suppressor partially covered.

From there, if you're planning on running the VIS, cutting down an existing barrel would seem to be the preferred option - if you can find a medium contour barrel (with the right twist and CL/NC, barrel material) you'll have an easier time with rearranging ports, although the idea I've been toying with is if it would be easier to have a custom machined gas block that would serve as the collar (would need a small lip on the barrel profile to butt up against) and run a LW profile barrel everywhere else, and have that gas block be a custom .625 job.

Finally, if muzzle velocity makes you difference to you, the outright simplest option would be to have ADCO make an extended version of the end-attach collar/extension setup. It isn't added barrel, but would take an existing 7.5" barrel and be able to make it work with minimal added modification, and require zero alterations to the gas system.

Yeah the more I think about it, the '10.5" and be done' would definitely be the easiest...and I think with an adapter, the M4M would butt right up to the gas block. I would only be gaining an inch in length compared to what it would be if the suppressor was flush with the rail, so its not a huge deal, I would just prefer the gas block be under the rail (ie. pistol gas system).

As for scrapping the VIS, I've tried to sell it, but VIS are pretty hard to move for some reason...I'm kinda liking the idea of keeping it for this build anyway.

Muzzle velocity isn't huge to me given the options for SD ammo out there, but since this is more for a HD type weapon, I would prefer to use TAP T2.....also, I didn't think the adapter would work with the VIS handguard since the threads would be partially under the rail on a 7.5"?

TehLlama
12-05-11, 23:23
Yeah the more I think about it, the '10.5" and be done' would definitely be the easiest...and I think with an adapter, the M4M would butt right up to the gas block. I would only be gaining an inch in length compared to what it would be if the suppressor was flush with the rail, so its not a huge deal, I would just prefer the gas block be under the rail (ie. pistol gas system).

As for scrapping the VIS, I've tried to sell it, but VIS are pretty hard to move for some reason...I'm kinda liking the idea of keeping it for this build anyway.

Muzzle velocity isn't huge to me given the options for SD ammo out there, but since this is more for a HD type weapon, I would prefer to use TAP T2.....also, I didn't think the adapter would work with the VIS handguard since the threads would be partially under the rail on a 7.5"?

A one-off adapter with some added neck could work, but if you're really looking to use this for SD then the added barrel length of the 10.5" would really make a difference in terms of the amount of unburnt powder that's going to be spewing out the front end of it. Look at ADCO's video of their 7.5" with the M4S, and it's making bigger fireballs than some 16" rifles, with the can attached.

Sry0fcr
12-06-11, 07:47
Does the gun have to be 5.56? I'd seriously consider going .300blk at this point. Factory AAC 9" upper or an 8" Noveske with one of those new 7.62 Mini cans from Surefire sounds like a good combo. Of course you'd have to ditch the VIS...

Ironman8
12-06-11, 22:09
I would prefer to just stick with 5.56...at least until I know for sure the 300 BLK round is here to stay, will be widely available, and for a reasonable price.....however, I have been toying with the idea...I'm just not much of an "early adopter" lol

Why would I have to ditch the VIS? The idea for 300 BLK that I've been toying with is an 8" bbl with the 7" VIS with suppressor...I think it would be a pretty good combo...Noveske already makes one just like this http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?item_id=8v-300&cat=173&page=1&search=&since=&status=