PDA

View Full Version : Alessi Ankle Retention

backfist
12-04-11, 19:45
I have one of the older Alessi ankle holsters for my Model 37. It has the pull-through snap over the hammer for retention.

I recently picked up a 642 and this Alessi won't snap over the shroud.

How is the retention on the open-top Alessi should I pickup one of those?

ST911
12-04-11, 19:59
The open topped Alessis retain the gun well. I have yet to have a gun come loose, despite vigorous activity while wearing them.

In2Deep
12-04-11, 20:02
I have one of the older Alessi ankle holsters for my Model 37. It has the pull-through snap over the hammer for retention.

I recently picked up a 642 and this Alessi won't snap over the shroud.

How is the retention on the open-top Alessi should I pickup one of those?

The Alessi ankle rigs without the pull through snap has excellent retention. The friction fit increases when the holster is tightened around the ankle.

That being said, I have chased folks on foot and over things and have not lost my piece yet. (I say "yet" because anything can happen.) Is it more secure than one with a snap break? Probably not, but it is secure enough for what it is. I carry mine with confidence.

backfist
12-04-11, 21:46
Thanks guys...I wished the pull-through worked for it, but I don't want to take the chance.

Now on the hunt for an open top...

willowofwisp
12-04-11, 22:03
Thanks guys...I wished the pull-through worked for it, but I don't want to take the chance.

Now on the hunt for an oprn top...

brownells usually has them in stock, at least thats where I got mine.

backfist
12-04-11, 22:05
Thanks for the heads up!

Jake'sDad
12-05-11, 12:26
If you want another option in a pull through ankle rig, the Renegade Cozy Partner ankle holster is the most comfortable and secure one I've ever used. I have several, including the first one I bought 30+/- years ago. It's fast to draw, but it held the gun securely during lots of fights and foot chases. I still use it regularly.

There's another "Renegade" company out there, but this is the one that I have.

http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/page14.html

David Thomas
12-05-11, 16:09
If you want another option in a pull through ankle rig, the Renegade Cozy Partner ankle holster is the most comfortable and secure one I've ever used. I have several, including the first one I bought 30+/- years ago. It's fast to draw, but it held the gun securely during lots of fights and foot chases. I still use it regularly.

There's another "Renegade" company out there, but this is the one that I have.

http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/page14.html

no where near the same ball park. I have carried a Renegade Cozy Partner. I also have the 5 Shot version of the Alessi Ankle holster. The Alessi design (if executed properly) will retain the gun as well as or better than the Renegade, while being 10 times more comfortable.

edited to add: the cozy partner I had used a different lining than what is pictured on the website above. Maybe Renegade has improved their product.

Jake'sDad
12-05-11, 16:49
no where near the same ball park. I have carried a Renegade Cozy Partner. I also have the 5 Shot version of the Alessi Ankle holster. The Alessi design (if executed properly) will retain the gun as well as or better than the Renegade, while being 10 times more comfortable.

edited to add: the cozy partner I had used a different lining than what is pictured on the website above. Maybe Renegade has improved their product.

The lining on the Model 50 I got a couple years ago was the same as the ones I have from 30 years ago or so. Looks like Sheepskin, but it may be synthetic. Can't imagine anything more comfortable, but I've not tried the Alessi. I'm sure theirs is great, I have some of their belt holsters. Lou made top stuff. And as far as retention, I can swing my Cozy Partner around off of my ankle and the gun doesn't come out. When it's on my ankle, I'm more sure of it's retention than I am of any of my belt holsters. I can't even begin to count how many times I ran, jumped, climbed fences, roofs, wrestled, kicked, etc. Never lost my gun. Ankle gun anyway.

I know you said Cozy Partner, but are you sure you didn't have something from the other company that was making an ankle holster they called Renegade? The one they make looks a little like a Cozy Partner, but it's 15 bucks, so I'm guessing it's not going to be the same.

David Thomas
12-05-11, 16:56
this is it: #4 in the pic below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/DavidThomas/005-15.jpg

that sheepskin looking stuff gets pressed flat over a short period of time and the cushion it used to provide is gone.

If you need an ankle holster for an hour or two it is fine, but I could not wear it as a daily holster.

Jake'sDad
12-05-11, 22:37
this is it: #4 in the pic below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/DavidThomas/005-15.jpg

That's not the one I use. I use the Model 50, which is a much flatter unit, and has no strap over the gun.

that sheepskin looking stuff gets pressed flat over a short period of time and the cushion it used to provide is gone.

If you need an ankle holster for an hour or two it is fine, but I could not wear it as a daily holster.

Damn.....and here I've been wearing them for the 30 past years or so, completely unaware of all that. ;)

Shabazz
12-06-11, 10:57
I have never felt comfortable with an ankle holster because it seems to impair running. Your mileage may vary.

Jake'sDad
12-06-11, 13:25
I have never felt comfortable with an ankle holster because it seems to impair running. Your mileage may vary.

I know exactly what you mean, and every one I ever used besides the Renegade felt the same way. They would move and slide around. The Renegade, because its so flat, hugs my ankle tightly enough I almost don't know it's there. But only with a light gun, like an Airweight. Even a steel J frame is too heavy to work for me. Can't understand how guys can carry double column mag 9's etc. on their ankle.

DBR
12-06-11, 21:07
I love my renegade ankle holsters but as I have gotten older I think they can be a problem because at least for me I had to keep them pretty tight to keep them from rotating on my leg. The return blood flow from the foot is at least partially restricted and that can cause all kinds of problems over time.

Just FYI.

awm14hp
12-07-11, 09:22
I have had and used an alessi ankle rig for both a 642 and a 3913 for the last 11 years or so no issue ever with Alessi stuff. Lou was a good man

Polizei
12-29-11, 20:12
If you what to get a new Alessi holster, they are now located at 247 Cayuga Rd. in Cheektowaga or Lou Alessi's old partner Skip Richie opened Richie Leather located in Lou's old shop. They both make great holsters. Lou Alessi was a super guy and a good friend.

SmokeJumper
12-30-11, 00:24
If you have not gotten your Alessi yet, try Alessi direct, they do tend to have a few of the more common ankle rigs in stock, like the j-frame models.

Lost River
01-10-12, 08:52
I just posted this inregards to Renegade's ankle rigs, in another thread, my experience with their product and customer service has been less than stellar:

After less than 90 days of ankle carry on patrol I was wearing holes through the holster. I called Renegade and was told more or less "too bad". That was roughly about 1999-2000. I keep the holster around to remind myself about customer service.

I was flat broke at the time and had to hold it together with duct tape for a while longer until I could afford another holster for my BUG.

So, I can say that the Renegade Holster of Phoenix AZ is not high on my list due to their customer service, when I needed it most.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/JframeRenegadeholster008.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/JframeRenegadeholster007.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/JframeRenegadeholster002.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/JframeRenegadeholster001.jpg

I have run a Desantis ankle rig since then, with zero issues. I wear it every day I wear a uniform. It is really a shame too because the Renegade's sheepskin lining was a pretty comfortable rig, but CS matters.

BTW, I have never heard a single negative word about Alessi rigs.

DocH
01-16-12, 15:39
I learned a scary lesson on ankle rigs about 20+ years ago.
I was blindsided by a big guy and we went to the grouind.He ended up on top as I was dazed. I got him off,but in the interim I realized that flat of my back,reaching my J frame was not possible during the struggle. Guess who could get to it easily? If he had turned his head he would have seen it and it would have been very easy for him to reach back with his right hand and pull it from the holster.
It was all I was carrying at the time.He was an individual I had previously arrested and he was drunk,but recognized me.I was off duty at the time.
I won't use one to this day.But,that's me.YMMV.
I want access with either hand if possible,at all times for a BUG.

Lost River
01-18-12, 16:51
Doc,

I will not argue that there are some definate disadvantages. There are advantages too. I pretty much never (or only rarely) carry a J frame as an only gun. It is strictly a BUG piece for me.

In the past, in the winter months sometimes I would put the J frame in my left jacket pocket (I am right handed) when dealing with future defendants.

I could keep a gun on them until I decided that they were not a threat.

Disadvantages and advantages to every place.

DocH
01-20-12, 19:09
Doc,

I will not argue that there are some definate disadvantages. There are advantages too. I pretty much never (or only rarely) carry a J frame as an only gun. It is strictly a BUG piece for me.

In the past, in the winter months sometimes I would put the J frame in my left jacket pocket (I am right handed) when dealing with future defendants.

I could keep a gun on them until I decided that they were not a threat.

Disadvantages and advantages to every place. J frame in the jacket pocket. Done that many times,esp. on traffic stops.
I won't kick anybody for ankle carry.That incident just did it for me.
I had to find other ways.:eek: