PDA

View Full Version : RUC vs (your suggestions)

RossR
12-04-11, 20:27
Hi. I'm getting ready to buy another AR (I own 3 already, so, no, I'm not a newbie). I think I'm settled in the Rainier RUC, 14.5. My general criteria for this gun are light-weight with an extended-length, modular handguard and a mid-length gas system. I'm posting, before I make my purchase, to see if anyone has a suggestion for a comparable rifle that I might not have considered. I've looked at the Noveske VTAC and Thunder Ranch, and the LWRC M6A2 SPR, but, for MY needs I don't think I need to spend in the $2K range. I've also looked at the S&W M&P15VTAC and Daniel Defense M4V7, but I think the RUC offers more for the money. I had almost settled on the M&P 15 TS, until I found that is a carbine and not a ML. So... with all that said, can anyone suggest a gun that I might have overlooked? Thanks in advance.

Iraqgunz
12-04-11, 22:13
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1141246

RossR
12-04-11, 23:10
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1141246

Thanks. I had seen that thread before, as well as other reviews on the RUC and Rainier. I was really looking for any suggestions on competitors' guns that might be a good comparison before I made my purchase.

Shoulderthinggoesup
12-05-11, 02:21
I am in WA this weekend for a PA school interview and had the chance to handle the RUC at Rainier. It seems like a well put together piece: light and quick. I of course did not shoot it, as I think they would have been unhappy about me doing that in the store....

I would say for the price, it is the best deal out there for it's type. It will also be not anywhere as good a deal when the SSA goes away and the price goes up to about 1500, which according to the people at the shop would be after they sell about 20 more rifles. Jump on quick if you are going to do it. I would have purchased one except I am already most of the way through my build of a similar type. I cannot of course speak to the actual performance other than having hands on it, so take my statements with a grain of salt.

Edit: The one gun you did not mention is Larue's PredatAR. http://www.laruetactical.com/16%E2%80%9D-larue-tactical-predatar-556

I HAVE shot this gun, and it is very nice! I, however, did not want a stainless barrel.. for a variety of reasons I will skip in this thread.

RossR
12-06-11, 23:03
Edit: The one gun you did not mention is Larue's PredatAR. http://www.laruetactical.com/16%E2%80%9D-larue-tactical-predatar-556

I did look at the PredatAR. It looks to be a fantastic gun, and, being a LaRue, I'm sure it is. It's about $200 higher than the RUC and doesn't include any irons. That's what knocked it out of the running for me. Yeah, yeah, I know... for $200 you get the LaRue billet receivers and, sure I'd like to have that, but that plus the cost of decent irons, and I couldn't justify it over the RUC (I ordered an RUC last night).

I've never used the Diamond Head sights on the RUC, but I've read mixed reviews on them. Hopefully they'll work for me. If not, I may be kicking myself for passing up the PredatAR. :rolleyes:

GrumpyM4
12-07-11, 01:09
Ranier makes good stuff and as has been said, their customer service is top notch.

I personally went with a Noveske of the same flavor (midlength gas and 14.5 barrel) to which I added a DD Omega X 12 inch rail to get the same kind of gun that you describe.

The midweight barrel profile was a must for me (less barrel droop when running a suppressor) and the FN CHF barrel with double thickness chrome lining made the extra cash worth it to me.

Of course I also had to cut the FSB down to just the gas block and reprofile it then re-parkerize followed by a solid coat of Brownells teflon moly because the barrel under the FF handguard is difficult to care for and will rust easily in this part of the world). On top of that I drilled the weld and removed the AAC flash hider and pinned and welded a Gemtech Bi-lock in place.

Admittedly, had I not had access to the proper equipment and the know-how, I probably would have just bought a complete rig.