PDA

View Full Version : M&P Roll Pin Problems

MR.J
12-02-07, 13:34
I have had both of my roll pins(on the frame) move on me on my M&P9.I will replace them, but want to know if other M&P owners are haveing the same problems.Also this pistol was new,its about 1 month old now and has 1500 rounds through it.

Dport
12-02-07, 13:42
Which pins and where did the go?

MR.J
12-02-07, 13:47
The roll pins on the frame(front and rear)

Dport
12-02-07, 13:54
And which way are they moving?

DrMark
12-02-07, 14:03
I have had both of my roll pins(on the frame) move on me on my M&P9.I will replace them, but want to know if other M&P owners are haveing the same problems. Also this pistol was new,its about 1 month old now and has 1500 rounds through it.
I haven't seen this on mine.

MR.J
12-02-07, 14:07
(This pistol being in my hand pointed down range)The front pin was moveing to the left,I think the rear pin was moveing to the right.

M4arc
12-02-07, 14:21
(This pistol being in my hand pointed down range)The front pin was moveing to the left,I think the rear pin was moveing to the right.

Did the front pin stop moving? It's suppose to stick out a little to the left to act as a stop for the take down lever. (I'll try and find the picture)

I haven't seen many reports of the rear pin moving. Is your gun a Rev N? Look on the inside of the dust cover.

MR.J
12-02-07, 14:31
Right, i know the front pin acts like a stop for the take down lever, but it was moveing more,and more, to the left.The rear was moveing too.As i checked both pins location when it was new before i took it too the range for the first time.

M4arc
12-02-07, 14:34
I wouldn't panic yet. Get some more rounds through it and see if they settle in and stop. If not call S&W and send it back. They usually turn them around in a week and they'll cover shipping both ways. You can't beat that.

M4arc
12-02-07, 14:37
I haven't seen this on mine.

Me either. Early on in my Range Report (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2747) I thought mine was moving but it turned out that it wasn't. But there have been some people on mp-pistol.com report that theirs did drift to one side or the other.

MR.J
12-02-07, 14:40
Naaa, I dont panic about little things like this anymore.... 2 kids broke me of that:D ;) . I was going to put more rounds down range and see if they move again. If they do move again, i was going to call smith and see if they can send the pins to me rather then me sending the pistol back to them. If they will let me do that and not want to look at the pistol themselves.

Dport
12-02-07, 14:45
Naaa, I dont panic about little things like this anymore.... 2 kids broke me of that:D ;) . I was going to put more rounds down range and see if they move again. If they do move again, i was going to call smith and see if they can send the pins to me rather then me sending the pistol back to them. If they will let me do that and not want to look at the pistol themselves.

Definitely send it back if they are moving. The problem is not likely to be with the pins, but with the receiver.

M4arc
12-02-07, 14:48
Keep us posted okay?

MR.J
12-02-07, 14:48
Definitely send it back if they are moving. The problem is not likely to be with the pins, but with the receiver.
Roger that.

MR.J
12-02-07, 14:49
Keep us posted okay?
Will do.:cool:

MR.J
12-02-07, 14:51
Also, Thanks to all for your help and info.:)

Hawkeye
12-02-07, 15:01
Out of 6, I havent had that issue at all.

MR.J
12-02-07, 15:28
Out of 6, I havent had that issue at all.

Its just my luck ;) :D ,we could have a 100 new Colt 6920's on a table and i would pick the only lemon of the bunch.:D

czydj
12-02-07, 16:30
The front roll pin on my M&P9 is walking just like yours, but the back one has never moved. It's been doing that since new and I have around 1000 rounds through it. I've found if I get a little too enthusiastic with the gun oil it happens sooner. I just gently tap it back in with the plastic end/handle of a screwdriver until it's flush. I'm no firearms expert, but IMHO, no harm, no foul...

Do a search on www.mp-pistol.com, I think we are not the only two out there. (No offense intended to m4carbine.net)

Here's a few I found pretty quickly...

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=8568
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2063
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1961

C4IGrant
12-02-07, 17:11
Have not experienced this, was not discussed by S&W in the armorers course (like other known issues) and have not heard any complaining from customers that I have sold M&P's too.

C4

MR.J
12-02-07, 17:25
Have not experienced this, was not discussed by S&W in the armorers course (like other known issues) and have not heard any complaining from customers that I have sold M&P's too.

C4
Maybe just a bad batch of roll pins? just my thought anyways.They make a ton of these roll pins not all of them will be perfect.

M4arc
12-02-07, 19:45
Do a search on www.mp-pistol.com, I think we are not the only two out there. (No offense intended to m4carbine.net)

Non taken. In fact I'm a moderator over there and I think the two boards compliment each other nicely. :)

Harv
12-02-07, 19:55
I experienced the same thing when I shot 300 rds thru a 9MM version. Now to be fair.. this was a T& E gun on loan to a fellow shooter who is a LEO and he let a few of us run some ammo thru it.

It was very pronounced and the pin walked out after only a few mags worth.

As I recall.. when he told the S&W rep about it he got the answer "Not heard this from anyone else" response.

This was early last year... so obviously it's happened to others... bad batch of roll pins.. most likely.

czydj
12-02-07, 20:21
Non taken. In fact I'm a moderator over there and I think the two boards compliment each other nicely. :)

way cool... :D

It was very pronounced and the pin walked out after only a few mags worth.

As I recall.. when he told the S&W rep about it he got the answer "Not heard this from anyone else" response.

That response is in a manual somewhere, handed out and studied around the globe... :D

C4IGrant
12-03-07, 12:31
Talked to my LE regional manager about this and asked him if he has ever heard of the problem. He said no.

If there is an issue with something, he always tells me about it.

C4

MR.J
12-03-07, 12:37
Talked to my LE regional manager about this and asked him if he has ever heard of the problem. He said no.

If there is an issue with something, he always tells me about it.

C4
The links posted on this thread to the M&P fourms say that some people are haveing roll pin problems,people that posted on this thread are haveing roll pin problums.Like i said,maybe its just a bad batch of roll pins.I dont think its That big of a problem .. but its there.

C4IGrant
12-03-07, 12:44
The links posted on this thread to the M&P fourms say that some people are haveing roll pin problems,people that posted on this thread are haveing roll pin problums.Like i said,maybe its just a bad batch of roll pins.I dont think its That big of a problem .. but its there.

I am sure that SOME people have had an issue with pins walking. I do not view a couple people on a forum as an actual "issue" or epidemic.

I imagine that if it was a known problem, my LE rep would know it and would have already advised me about it. Since he has not and has never heard of this problem, I am guessing it is an isolated incident with pins that were under sized.

C4

nickdrak
12-03-07, 15:25
I have heard of quite few examples of this occuring on some of the very early M&P40/9 models around the same time of the early mag catch issues. Im curious what your serial # prefix is??? Mine is MPA2xxx on my 40.

I have not heard of this issue occur with the later prefix serial #'s....

MR.J
12-03-07, 15:29
I have heard of quite few examples of this occuring on some of the very early M&P40/9 models around the same time of the early mag catch issues. Im curious what your serial # prefix is??? Mine is MPA2xxx on my 40.

I have not heard of this issue occur with the later prefix serial #'s....

Mine is MPV9.

czydj
12-03-07, 16:59
I am sure that SOME people have had an issue with pins walking. I do not view a couple people on a forum as an actual "issue" or epidemic.

C4

Grant, who is saying we have an epidemic on our hands? Mr. J merely wanted to know if others had seen what he is seeing... Did you just recently buy some S&W stock or something? :D :D :D

Mine is MPV9.

I believe mine is MPN....

C4IGrant
12-03-07, 17:09
Grant, who is saying we have an epidemic on our hands? Mr. J merely wanted to know if others had seen what he is seeing... Did you just recently buy some S&W stock or something? :D :D :D

I believe mine is MPN....

Like Hawkeye said in another thread, a couple people on a forum witness the same issue (or perceived issue) and people start to believe that an entire weapon is crap.

This happens all the time on the errornet.

C4

czydj
12-03-07, 17:16
A couple people on a forum witness the same issue (or perceived issue) and people start to believe that an entire weapon is crap.

This happens all the time on the errornet.

C4

Just my newbie two cents here and then I'll shut up:

1. I don't think the M&P is carp, in fact, I'm thinking about buying another
2. It seems to me you are discounting first hand information
3. People will believe what people will believe
4. If a walking pin is all that it takes to disuade them from the M&P line, they were never anywhere near sold on it to begin with

MR.J
12-03-07, 17:50
Just my newbie two cents here and then I'll shut up:

1. I don't think the M&P is carp, in fact, I'm thinking about buying another
2. It seems to me you are discounting first hand information
3. People will believe what people will believe
4. If a walking pin is all that it takes to disuade them from the M&P line, they were never anywhere near sold on it to begin with

Good post.. for a newbie.J/k ;) Yes as i said i DONT think its a big problem at all ,just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problem.But the roll pins are moveing for SOME, NOT ALL users.Does it make the M&P look bad at all? No,In fact there are more GOOD post's on this fourm then bad on the M&P.

czydj
12-23-07, 08:05
First, I need to mention I believe this is a great pistol. I don't mean to re-surface this unnecessarily and I'm only adding this info with the hope it will help. As I mentioned, I really like my M&P pistol and would definitely get another. FWIW, roll pins are $1.50 from S&W and I bet if I called Customer Service and asked, they would send me new ones for free... Anyway, I consider this a non-issue and I love to shoot my M&P.

It took 2 drops of blue loctite and 200 seconds of light punch work. I just tapped the pin out a little farther than it had been migrating and then added a couple of drops of blue loctite into the empty hole. (I did degrease the hole with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol before I added the drops of blue loctite.) Then I just tapped the pin back in as far as I wanted it to go. I wiped off the excess loctite and that was it. (it is a good idea to let the loctite dry overnight too...) Easy as fishing!

I ran a fast 100 rds through my M&P yesterday, some +P, and the front roll pin stayed put. It didn't move a micrometer. Nothin' Nada. Zip. Zero. BTW, did I mention I really like this pistol? :D

Federale
12-23-07, 12:43
I have heard about the roll pins backing out before I read about it on the internet. ;)

I don't think its a widespread issue, but I know a couple of guys at the range who have had such issues too.

czydj
12-23-07, 12:51
I have heard about the roll pins backing out before I read about it on the internet. ;)

I don't think its a widespread issue, but I know a couple of guys at the range who have had such issues too.

Yeah, I know we are not alone. Let me say, I don't even classify this as an "issue". For me, it's really no big deal and there are different ways to remedy it that only take a few minutes. Take your pick, a phone call or two drops of blue loctite... :D :D :D

Wayne Dobbs
12-24-07, 09:14
I was looking through this thread and I got to thinking of information I got from some pretty salty armorer trainers in HK and Sig schools years ago about roll pins. Both places taught that a roll pin is a one time use "spring" and that once you remove one or one walks out to replace it with a new one for maximum "spring" performance and peace of mind.

It sounded like good advice then and I bet it still is.

sff70
12-26-07, 11:59
I used to own a P226. The roll pin in the slide was always trying to drift out.

A new roll pin solved the problem.

popodaman
12-26-07, 12:39
I had the rear roll pin move to the right on me about 1/16 of an inch after firing the 50 rounds through, purchased Brand New 3 weeks ago.

No Big Deal. Tapped it back with a punch.

John_Wayne777
12-26-07, 13:37
I broke my M&P 9C down completely to get rid of the mag safety, which required removing the roll pins. I'll keep an eye out for roll pin movement when I start shooting the weapon. It seems to me that if a weapon is going to have roll pin issues it will most likely be a weapon that had them removed after they were initially installed.

That being said, my full-sized 9mm hasn't had an issue with movement despite going to Burwell for a trigger job. I believe he re-uses the roll pins already in the weapon when he re-assembles after the trigger job. A couple of thousand rounds since then haven't caused any movement whatsoever on my pistol.

MR.J
01-06-08, 11:22
UPDATE: I put 300 rounds through it last night and both roll pins did NOT move on me, so im GTG now.:cool: :D .

czydj
01-06-08, 12:13
UPDATE: I put 300 rounds through it last night and both roll pins did NOT move on me, so im GTG now.:cool: :D .

Did you spend the big pennies and go with new roll pins or with use the blue loctite?

MR.J
01-06-08, 14:18
Did you spend the big pennies and go with new roll pins or with use the blue loctite?

I went ahead and spent the big bucks on some new roll pins.;) :D