PDA

View Full Version : 1x4 Variable with FSB carbine or rifle

crusader377
12-05-11, 13:09
Any one have any experience using a 1x4 variable optic mounted on either a 16" midlength or 20" rifle that has a FSB? I'm leaning towards a FSB for mainly for durability reasons over a front BUIS for my next build. I already have a 16" FSB carbine with aimpoint using an ADM high mount and the FSB doesn't affect my view at all. Would the 1x4 variable look similiar through the glass as an aimpoint?

Thanks for your help.

BTW: The most likely variable would be either a Vortex Viper PST or Leupold VX-R patrol version.

ryr8828
12-05-11, 17:07
I see a ghost of it with it on 1x and don't see it at all on 4x. This is with a burris tac30 and a leatherwood cmr on carbines.

Doesn't bother me at all.

AZ-Renegade
12-05-11, 17:19
I have played around with mounting my Burris XTR 1-4x in a Larue LT-104 mount on my 14.5" mid-length with FSB.

Below 2x the sight tower is visible through the scope but the aiming point of the reticle is not obstructed by it.

At 2.5x and above, the sight tower is no longer visible.

Were I to commit to this route, I would prefer a scope with an illuminated reticle.

bp7178
12-05-11, 17:29
I think its going to depend on how far forward the FSB is.

With a S&B Short Dot LE, I can see quite clearly, my flipped up KAC micro on 1x.

At 4x, it isn't directly visble, but you can faintly detect the shadow of the KAC micro. On a DD RIS-II, the front sight is pretty far forward of the scope. This is more or less about where a rifle FSB would be.

Anything that block incomming light into an optic is going to have an effect. In daylight you would probably never notice it. In low-light, more light is like gold.

There is no reason a quality BUIS wouldn't be durable.

TomMcC
12-06-11, 11:38
You will see a fuzzy FSB at 1X, nothing really on 4X. When I'm shooting I'm looking at the target, and the reticle, I learned to ignore the FSB. You should look a someone's setup if possible to see if it will bother you. It doesn't bother me.